Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

dagorkan

Arbiter
Why are you so sensitive? Don't you know the Codex motto? "Chances are if you like a game it probably sucks". Disagreements about RPGs are normal, nobody can agree on anything and the results "Codex Top 20" threads always end up shocking everybody. You didn't get this kind of reaction when someone criticizes NWN2 or Gothic 3 and plenty of people even bash Fallout.

vrok

Liturgist
That's the thing, you don't know the game sucks. You're just being a dumbfuck and posting bullshit about poles which is supposed to somehow be connected to the quality of the game.

This isn't pre-release suckage predictions. The game is out. There's a difference.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Why are you so sensitive? Don't you know the Codex motto? "Chances are if you like a game it probably sucks". Disagreements about RPGs are normal, nobody can agree on anything and the results "Codex Top 20" threads always end up shocking everybody. You didn't get this kind of reaction when someone criticizes NWN2 or Gothic 3 and plenty of people even bash Fallout.

And its because of these discussions that this thread has grown like a wildfire. :wink: Come on Sheek, you're just baiting and bitching here. People react rather defensively because you're talking absolute shit about a game you haven't even tried yet.

Texas Red

Whiner
dagorkan said:
I'm not bashing it, I am actually trying to get out of this argument but you guys keep replying to me forcing me to involve myself more.

they not only infested Codex but also Watch and so on.
Actually I found the Watch threads on the Witcher are more moderate and more informative than the ones here. There also aren't 45 pages worth of them.

Anyway, that was my last jibe, I'm out of here.

Maybe on the Watch the threads werent constantly derailed by retarded rantings?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Maybe on the Watch the threads werent constantly derailed by retarded rantings?

Well, isn't that the same for almost any thread on the codex? It's been that way since ye ol' days. Part of the charm really.

Well enough codex for the weekend, I really need to do something more worthwhile with my time. Including, but not exclusively, playing with the Witcher. Ciau!

Nutcracker

Scholar
Also to those faggots who started criticising Jasede for "derailing the thread and imposing his own morality" - you do realise that you're the ones who derailed it with your rabid reactions to his views? All he did was say why he didnt like the player character...then was attacked by about 10 people for it and forced to elaborate.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
dagorkan said:
"Chances are if you like a game it probably sucks".

I thought it went like: "Chances are that a game you like very much sucks." Small difference, otherwise you're saying that Fallout probably sucks... and Fallout not sucking is probably one of the only things absolutely all of of us can agree to.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Dagorkan, if you had actually played the game and had valid criticisms, people might take you seriously. But all you're doing is saying "Don't believe the hype" without anything to back your statement up.

MasPingon

Arcane
dagorkan said:
Why are you so sensitive? Don't you know the Codex motto? "Chances are if you like a game it probably sucks". .

I don't know why even ppl bother to answer your posts. How can you have an an opinion if you didin't even play the game. Well deserved dumbfuck

dagorkan

Arbiter
Jeff Graw said:
I thought it went like: "Chances are that a game you like very much sucks." Small difference, otherwise you're saying that Fallout probably sucks... and Fallout not sucking is probably one of the only things absolutely all of of us can agree to.
Not true, many people criticize Fallout.

MasPingon

Arcane
dagorkan said:
Jeff Graw said:

Does that mean they have right? A lot of ppl say Oblivion is the best crpg ever. It shit, milions of flies can't be wrong, I got ya

Darkflame

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Jeff Graw said:

It makes sense that when a good RPG finally comes out there would be this type of massive Codex response.

Play the fucking game. Then generate your opinion. You obviously aren't the type to fall prey to other's opinions which is good, but you should also realize that if this game were another Oblivion then mass opinion here would be against it. And that isn't the case. In my opinion, and in the opinion of others here who have actually played it, this game is worth the price and you're missing out.

And although I haven't finished the game, I've started over and so far the choices in Witcher seem to change the story drastically. With some NPCs you can really fuck your game up by choosing the wrong dialogue options, and you won't know it until it's too late.

This game is unique, and nobody is going to compare it to anything you know with 100% precision. I've frankly never played an RPG that so consistently offered choices where the outcome would change the world so drastically. But instead of believing me or nodding off my opinion to being that of a fanboy, grow a pair and form your own opinion by actually checking the game out yourself, instead of basing your opinion on those of others.

Direwolf

Arcane
suleo said:
I think part of the length of Ch2 is due to the long trips you need to take to the swamp and back (and the associated loading times of course).

The stupid drowners on the swamp were getting on my nerves, especially since I could OMGWTFPWN them for the last 6-7 levels or so, so finally I decided to just bite the bullet and buy that drowner repellant, and just run through the swamp. That cut down on wasted time a lot.

Now on Ch3, there are some teleporters around. This should help with trip times.

Ch2 was great by the way. However, I am hoping that combat becomes somewhat challenging again, since I seem to PWN more or less anything that comes my way by now (Level 19, playing on hard).

I started Ch3 yesterday. I was also ripping enemies apart with Group style by the end of Ch2, but my first real combat in Ch3 taught me a lesson.
I couldn't even engage enemies in 2 separate battles using group, so I had to use Igni, move around and use individual styles a lot.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Couple of things, I've only managed to make it to page 21 so far, I left off with p. 12 last time I was reading this thread.

(I see that the thread was derailed and rerailed several times...)

Did anyone ever find out if this runs under windows 2000? I'm interested in knowing that, and IIRC there were at least two other people earlier who enquired about this.

Jasede: suggest that he title be changed to either Teh Codex Pope, or Keeper of teh Codex Morals, or just plain PRUDE.

I'm still planning on getting the UK import version via gogamer, and figure I may as well order MotB from them as well, but I'm going to be holding off until I'm closer to finishing off my NWN2 OC (haven't played a damn minute since the week that MotB came out, as futzing around with the keep just sucked the life out of the game for me for a while...)

I should probabloy run out tomorrow and see if any of the local Borders or barnes & nobles have a copy of teh first witcher book and at least read that one before being spoiled by the game(it was suggested above that the game itself is a MASSIVE spoiler for the books...besides I need some new reading material.)

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
So the polacks finally decided to get their shit together and do some work for once, seriously how many polish rpg's have turned vapourware? And this one is actually good you guys say? then i'll prolly pick it up tomorrow. (with motb)

Smeciak

Novice
fizzelopeguss said:
So the polacks finally decided to get their shit together and do some work for once, seriously how many polish rpg's have turned vapourware? And this one is actually good you guys say? then i'll prolly pick it up tomorrow. (with motb)

Well, it's rather hard to make many games when you have 20 years of capitalism and you aren't Russian isn't it?
And there is only ONE Polish RPG game ever. We prefer quality over quantity.

OK - for the game... I was really scared it would be dissapointing. So much fuss, so much advertising and so on. Polish RPG fans really waited for it a looong time. And were scared as I was. And here it is. And it's good. First Polish RPG ever and it is quite good - that's why we are proud of it and thats why it looks like being fanboys (well, some people really are). In my personall opinion Witcher is lots of fun and some refreshing wind in a genre. I give it 8,5/10 so far but haven't finished it yet so we will see.

pug987

Scholar
I finally finished it. It took me 7 days of almost non-stop gaming.

Before giving my opinion I'd like to say that I have enjoyed many rpgs over the past years and for me it's not the best quality of an rpg to be able to make a customized character and have many dialogue options depending on your stats. I really liked most of the games that gave you these things like Fallout, Arcanum, MotB but I've also liked games with no roleplaying like M&M 7, World of Xeen etc. and games where you play premade characters and have no dialogue options like Betrayal at Krondor or few options like Gothic.

I feel this short introduction is necessary because this is the Codex and although love for good rpgs unite us (and especially Fallout and PS:T since almost everyone here seems to love them - don't be quick to react to this, I said almost :) ) some people look for particular elements to their rpgs and thus may not enjoy an rpg that doesn't provide them. There has been some critising about the fact that you can't customise your character, that you don't have the dialogue options of PS:T or MotB, etc. If you absolutely must have character creation and several classes to chose from or want deep interactive dialogue the Witcher posibly isn't for you.

Now about my opinion. It may be all the excitement after having just played it but I feel The Witcher is the best PC game I've played in recent years and one of the best rpgs ever made. I love almost everything about this game (ok, I don't love the loading times :P ). It's definetely worth a second and perhaps a third playthrough since there are many things that affect the game to a small or large degree that you can do differently. If I'm not mistaken the game has 3 endings.

There are several great games that have rather disapointed endings. That didn't happen with The Witcher. I really liked the ending although it left a lot of threads hanging. Maybe you learn more about some things if you see the other endings. I don't mind lose threads, I just hope there will be a sequel or at least an expansion soon :cool:

If I had to rate it, I'd give it 9/10 at least. By the way I haven't read the books but I don't think that's necessary to enjoy the game. If you have read the books many of your decisions may be influenced by knowing what Geralt is like while if you haven't you discover things along with Geralt.

Now, before I'm accused of fanboism I'd just like to say that this is my personal opinion after I've actually played and finished the game. Let's hope there will be more great rpgs like MotB and The Witcher in the near future.

Texas Red

Whiner
Funny that some people here would say that the game is easy. On the other forums I read several posts complaining about the swamp and how hard it is. One poster went completely mad because he couldnt handle that area.

BTW, aside from having sex all the time, Geralt gets always drunk. You get drunk to get information, you get drunk with your friends and you get drunk just for the hell of it. Geralt leads a perfect life.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Walkin' Dude said:
Funny that some people here would say that the game is easy. On the other forums I read several posts complaining about the swamp and how hard it is. One poster went completely mad because he couldnt handle that area.

BTW, aside from having sex all the time, Geralt gets always drunk. You get drunk to get information, you get drunk with your friends and you get drunk just for the hell of it. Geralt leads a perfect life.

I'd say it's pretty much easy for the 'trash mobs' you face. And theres' some heavy weights sprinkled around in the wilderness and then there's unique 'bosses'.

Just reached Chapter 4.
Oblivion?No, THIS . IS . WITCHER!~!*kick*
witcher01.jpg

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
(no, not about sex again, relax :cool: )

This game amazes me! I mean, how CDPR - a bunch of guys with no previous experience - have managed to create such a masterpiece?! Yeah I think its a fuckin masterpiece!
I'm near to the end of second chapter and have to admit that I havent enjoyed any game that much since Gothic 2 NOTR (oh, not quite, recently I ve played Arx Fatalis which is also great).

The city of Wyzima - could anyone give me an example of better crafted rpg's city? I dont think so.. Next, the dialogues - I dont know how about english version and level of translation, Im playing polish and its simply outstanding - Geralt beats imho even Duke Nukem and Garret together :wink: Of course this is mostly due to Sapkowski not CDPR.

Today I've spent few hours on swamps near Wyzima exploring it mostly by night - Shalebridge Craddle from Thief 3 thats what came on my mind - level of creepiness - definitely one of the best location Ive seen in RPGs so far. Druids outpost hidden on the far end of map - beautiful beautiful beautiful!

I have to admit that after Chapter One I had mixed feelings - I didnt quite like this part of a game and felt anxious about Chapter Two, but thankfully game went in imho right direction.

So basically what I loved most so far:
- Geralt's character, dialogues, humour (I HOPE that english translation is done right, cause otherwise you english guys loose 50% of The Witcher's magic :( )
- This game is for adults! (no, not beacuse of sex aspect) It has a quite Plot and I mean big 'P'!
- Wyzima & swamps also perfectly made inns
- Fighting system (its more like watching the fight than fighting - looks and plays great anyway)

What I didnt like:
- INVISIBLE/ARTIFICIAL BARRIERS - oh it SUCKS :!: :( Particulary in Chapter One. Lack of jumping and all those silly fences - its shame shame shame shaaaame. I can understand its a matter of used engine, nevertheless we shouldnt have such shit anymore in 21st century.
- this game is linear... in Wyzima when I picked quest in order other than that 'suggested' by authors it resulted in mess. Locations got unlocked when plot matures to and sometimes it is imho too artificiall.
- I miss swimming and those underwater caves like in Gothic... eh..
- more locations not related to main plot would be nice - explorers might be disappointed here (dont even think of 'O'ing me here :wink: )

Last but not least - this game makes me want to read the Sapkowski's books!

Section8

Cipher
Well, I decided I'd get the Witcher, and my first impressions have been poor. I've spent far more time either looking at cutscenes or loading screens than actually playing the game. In one tragic case, the game actually loaded the exterior of the castle I was in, played a cutscene, and then reloaded the interior where I'd been all along.

But I guess I should be somewhat happy, because the acutal gameplay component is arse. Pick the right stance for the right enemy and time your clicks doesn't really do much for me.

I'm going to persist, because I'm sure there's some enjoyment to be had from this game once I'm free of the pathetically patronising tutorial bit, but for now, the game feels like a railroaded, less interesting version of the insidious NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom