Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
Section8 said:
I'm going to persist, because I'm sure there's some enjoyment to be had from this game once I'm free of the pathetically patronising tutorial bit, but for now, the game feels like a railroaded, less interesting version of the insidious NWN.

Persist through Prologue and first chapter - after that its a unique game really!

As for technical problems - never encountered any.. Loading times - yes those are terrible, let us all pray for the performance patch.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoa Section8, get with the program. The Hivemind says "We love The Wichter" so you love The Witcher. Say it!

Heck, even I love The Witcher, and apparently it wouldn't run on my PC even if I had XP installed. But I know it's great, because I read it on the RPG Codex.

Starwars

Arcane
I just got to Vizima, and it seems that the game will be a bit more interesting from here on.

I agree with Section8 on the beginning though. The whole tutorial bit was really boring I thought, and the "section" coming after it is a bit more interesting, but not really good. I did like the ending of Chapter 1 though.

I think the whole setting, and the games visuals are masterful however. It looks extraordinary, both the direction and shinyness. The loading times kill me however. I really hope this can be improved in patches. As it stands now, I actually think it kinda ruins the game, and I'm pretty patient when it comes to loading times in general. It's come to the point where I avoid exploring houses and stuff because I don't want to go through yet another loading screen. The cutscenes also feel really intrusive in some cases, and I *hate* when a dialogue screen for some reason kicks me out (Geralt saying Farewell) so that I have to initiate dialouge with that particular character again. It's a small thing, but it really gets on my nerves after a while.

Also, I guess is comes from being an action-RPG, but oh how I wish there were more... well, interesting quests. It makes me sad to see all the "go kill that monster/bandits/whatever" or "bring me 10 of *insert item* here" quests. While the writing (or translation perhaps) isn't exactly hot, the characters are very colorful, and I just can't help thinking that I would've wanted a "regular" RPG instead with the whole setting and stuff intact. Oh well.

Still, the game has been getting better and better, I hope that trend continues. The fact that I'm still playing this (I normally put down action-RPGs very fast) is a good sign. I've only seen a few of the choices yet, so can't really comment yet. There is a choice towards the end of Chapter 1 where I personally really didn't have to think to hard about what to choose, but I really liked how it played out.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I'm in the prologue. Seems ok so far, although I'm not getting the full experience with a 7900 GS and 1 gig of RAM. Not far enough into the story to judge it yet, combat is interesting, but what I really like is how the game seems to introduce elements slowly instead of throwing everything at you and going "figure this out". The frightener (the creature in my avatar, I think) was an absolute bitch, so I decided to go help Triss and found the boss fight there to be much easier. Could anyone actually kill the frightener without getting knocked down and stabbed?

indigo

Novice
Jasede said:
JarlFrank said:
But then, show me another RPG that got a metal title track. I guess there aren't many. That's what makes it awesome.
Final Fantasy X: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 6902105656.

So fuckin lame :? Candy look + metal music - yeah, a perfect match. I only miss some histeric screaming japanese schoolgirls...

On the other hand quite a reflex and memory Jasede.

ps. changed your avatar - trying to develop a new image after recent discussions? :cool:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fixed. Also, avatar: I just like how he looks: ruggedly handsome. Plus one of the few moustaches that don't suck.

indigo

Novice
ups... Ive just found a flaw on this diamond, or a bug in other words:

Geralt sometimes got jammed during fight - he keeps smashing with a sword not reacting. Evident bug. (Happend to me 3-4 times, only on swamps)
I advise frequent saves there - this bug costed me some 20 minuts of game :?

Jasede: Mustache sucks, all of them, you can't avoid it, its an inherent feature of mustache :roll:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But it doesn't look like a moustache on the avatar, more like a glued on dead rat, which makes it cool.

indigo

Novice
Jasede said:
But it doesn't look like a moustache on the avatar, more like a glued on dead rat, which makes it cool.

admitting to being attracted by guys with glued on dead rats... add traditional love/sex beliefs - oh boy, we've got some serious personality here :D

edit: all right, time has came to choose my own avatar... its been hard, but finally Ive found one most closely reflecting my personality (and the image a I see in mirror every morning) :cool: (although I frankly admit Im not as tall)

cardtrick

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
The frightener (the creature in my avatar, I think) was an absolute bitch, so I decided to go help Triss and found the boss fight there to be much easier. Could anyone actually kill the frightener without getting knocked down and stabbed?

The frightener is vulnerable to sound . . . just use Aard on the bells.

As for the more negative comments recently: fair enough. The prologue is weak. I enjoyed Act I, but I can definitely see how it would be boring. I do think the ending of Act I is quite strong, though, and the cut scene outside the cave near the end is one of my favorite scenes in the game. The game improves drastically with Act II, though, when you enter the city. Vizima is great and the main quests are quite interesting, by and large. Anyway, I'd much rather have a game that improves markedly than a game that starts out strong but declines sharply (Lionheart, VTMB).

Shagnak

Shagadelic
JarlFrank said:
The song in itself is not outstanding, but solid. But then, show me another RPG that got a metal title track. I guess there aren't many. That's what makes it awesome.
It's a bit ordinary for Vader.

I own a lot of their albums, and that is the most tame (in terms of pace and commercial polish) I've ever heard them sound. I guess their normal output would scare off too many punters.

Still, good on them for scoring the exposure, I guess.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Admiral jimbob said:
Kingston's avatar is incredibly manly.

Why thank you, Admiral. He was my first and second and third character in Arcanum. Stubble Ironfist, a sickly dwarf who shot things with his elephant gun. :salute:

Oh and I'm in Act 1 in the Witcher. I'm not sure why people say combat is hard in Act 1, I'm on hard difficulty and I've only died once (the drunken fight with the overgrown plants), otherwise its pretty easy. Fun though.

Edit: "Ded'uns, you say?" made me lol

Jora

Arcane
Having an Arcanum avatar means you have good taste.

I played the game a little last monday. Seemed fun. Dialogues aren't as bad as in KotOR even though the games are otherwise very similar. The combat felt unresponsive because I didn't know when to start the first attack (played in the medium diffuclty setting). Sometimes clicking on the enemy had no effect, sometimes it canceled the move Geralt was about to perform.

The game can wait until I've finished MotB at least once.

Marsal

Arcane
Fresh said:
Difficulty level... Are you playing on medium or hard or what? What's recommended?
Hard(it's really not hard at all if you use potions and bombs). Also, I play overhead view, but you can(should) use double-tap wasd to dodge/run away in combat as mouse clicks sometimes fail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom