Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Bioware forums said:
I generally don't even pay attention to the games like Witcher, but because it was advertised on the Bio site, and because it was said that it was build based on Aurora (and after having seen a successful Aurora application in JE), I had my hopes set high that it will be in the same line as the Bio games (not the same quality, maybe, but the same concept of a party, dialogue-driven game with a customized protagonist). And I was really badly dissappointed that instead of using the potential to its fullest, they browbeat the engine designed to handle a custom protagonist to crank out the same "male protagonist fixed lead" stuff, that imo is dime a dozen. The last time I was that dissappointed was when I saw what PS:T did to the good old Infinity Engine.

vrok

Liturgist
Don't be too hard on sheek. He is a dumbfuck after all, even though he hides it behind his alt account.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Tales said:
But don't tell people they are idiots for liking a game or that they only pretend to like it because theyre starved for RPGs.
Yeah OK it's not that bad I just don't like the bandwagon effect it's having on the forum. 25 pages (in a couple of days) is way more than NWN and MotB combined got I think. I get the imperssion a bunch of people here are just trying to hype their favorite game (because it's an underdog, because it's a new company, because it's Polish?) which I think it's wrong. Without the overhyping and exaggerated praise (Troika, teh best RPG in years, Europe makes real mature RPGs etc) I probably wouldn't have posted the way I did.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The thread probably also grew a lot because our own yiffster tried to impose his own values a few times. I also admit having a slow week at work and thus having way too much time on my hands.

Still, some rpg discussion is a nice diversion from the same old and tired political crap threads that grow like weeds around here.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I second that, quit fueling those discussions and we'll probably would be looking at less than 5 pages or more. Trying to ignore that crap, but so many people respond with long winded explanation.

We understand, uncontrolled sex is bad, now go back to your real life and let us play with our pixels.

vrok

Liturgist
dagorkan said:
Yeah OK it's not that bad I just don't like the bandwagon effect it's having on the forum. 25 pages (in a couple of days) is way more than NWN and MotB combined got I think. I get the imperssion a bunch of people here are just trying to hype their favorite game (because it's an underdog, because it's a new company, because it's Polish?) which I think it's wrong. Without the overhyping and exaggerated praise (Troika, teh best RPG in years, Europe makes real mature RPGs etc) I probably wouldn't have posted the way I did.
Yes, 25 pages of nothing but different people (that have actually played the game) explaining how the game works, what its downs and ups are and how it's a good, fun game despite its flaws is fanboyism and hyping?

Feel free to quote the Troika bullshit you're repeating. AFAIK people have only compared it to Bloodlines while saying Witcher had worse dialogues and how it's one of the best RPGs since Troika died (MotB is the second one). Which it is. Or maybe you know of some secret RPGs we don't?

Personally I've only strongly advocated the game after having completed it, giving me the chance to replay it differently to confirm the choices. I fail to see what you're on about. And saying how the combat is clickety-click only proves you haven't read the posts detailing the combat system. Bloodlines combat is far more click-bullshit, appallingly balanced and boring, despite being a Troika game! OMG FANBOY!

Get a grip dipshit. Play it and diss it so the rest can find out the "truth" if you want but you can't come in here trying to argue, with no play experience on your back, how it's a shit game just because people like it and providing zero arguments as to why it's supposed to suck, without getting beat over the head. It's been said tons of times by several different people that it doesn't have skillchecks in dialogue, you coming in here saying it again doesn't make those same people change their minds about how they like the game despite that.

This isn't Oblivion. Conjuring up a conspiracy theory won't change that. And the bullshit about playing other games is just laughable, your stolen airhead political arguments contain more logic than that. We can compare e-penis in playing other genres if you want.

Funny you should mention the bandwagon effect, seems you're just pissed your cynic (dumbfuck) ass doesn't qualify to ride.

MasPingon

Arcane
Yeah OK it's not that bad I just don't like the bandwagon effect it's having on the forum. 25 pages (in a couple of days) is way more than NWN and MotB combined got I think.

Ah, so here is your problem. You didin't even play the game but you are saying it's overhyped crap couse it gets more attention then your favs. Thx for sharing your opinion

Oh, it's sheek. Sorry, I didin't notice an irony

Texas Red

Whiner
We are non-confirmists but Sheek is even more non-confirmst, so he doesnt confirm with us, the non-confirmsts. :South Park:

caliban

Scholar
I get the imperssion a bunch of people here are just trying to hype their favorite game (because it's an underdog, because it's a new company, because it's Polish?) which I think it's wrong.

What the hell is wrong about that? I believe we all agree that the cRPG genre has been stagnant lately and every bit of fresh blood helps, so if a new title with some new interesting ideas is released, it deserves recognition. Plus, I sense some straw here - most people here aren't claiming the game is perfect, or that it will redefine the genre, set new standards blahblahblah - they're just saying it is fun to play and has some genuine RPG elements in it. Which is true.

Also, I am a huge fan of the books myself, and some of the other polish posters here are too, probably, so if the game were actually bad, we'd be the first to bash the shit out of it for raping our beloved setting - therefore the argument about "hyping it because it's Polish" fails.

So, umm, what was the problem again?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
LOL two thumbs up.

Fuck I just finished chapter 2. What a long game. Am I still far from the mid point or something?

suleo

Scholar
I think part of the length of Ch2 is due to the long trips you need to take to the swamp and back (and the associated loading times of course).

The stupid drowners on the swamp were getting on my nerves, especially since I could OMGWTFPWN them for the last 6-7 levels or so, so finally I decided to just bite the bullet and buy that drowner repellant, and just run through the swamp. That cut down on wasted time a lot.

Now on Ch3, there are some teleporters around. This should help with trip times.

Ch2 was great by the way. However, I am hoping that combat becomes somewhat challenging again, since I seem to PWN more or less anything that comes my way by now (Level 19, playing on hard).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
caliban said:
What the hell is wrong about that? I believe we all agree that the cRPG genre has been stagnant lately and every bit of fresh blood helps, so if a new title with some new interesting ideas is released, it deserves recognition.

Is this a prelude to some sort of affirmative action to promote moribund video game genres?

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I'm on the third chapter (almost done it I think) so far and this game is ruining my life (should've been studying for midterm!).

I'm usually not a graphics whore, but the depth of field effect used during in-engine cut scenes is very fucking sexy.

Pacing seems a bit slow, but the game still draws me into the moment. Dialog could be better, but it's damn impressive that they were able to make pretty good dialog and have it fully voice acted.

Not sure yet about choices and consequences. I'll have to do a second playthrough to see if consequences don't just have the illusion of being real.

The combat is a bit buggy. Fun when it works, frustrating when something glitches out and I die for no reason. Forces me to save often which is somewhat unfun and takes me out of the moment.

Inventory system is great and horrible at the same time. Great because weapon management is actually realistic, and not great because you have a few dozen one box items and it's hard to find what you want, sometimes items don't stack properly, no auto-sort, etc.

One of my biggest disappointments so far is that I *can't jump*. I mean, you have this awesome intro cinematic where Geralt does some leet acrobatic shit, and Geralt is running at something like 60Km/h in the game, and some little obstacle stops him in his tracks!

Overall, I think that the game is really good, not extraordinary though. If the TW took some lessons from Gothic about acrobatics and combat the game would be greatly improved.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

well i think sheek has one point at least. lotta people rave about geralt despite he s hardly a very original or interesting character. heck, most of his talking is along the same shit as khelgar from NWN2 or even commander shepard, if not worse in some spots.
if geralt was starring a bioware game the same people would probably rip him into pieces,
posting some of the hilaious (un-)funny dialogue screenshots.

i doubt translation alone is to blame for that. i at least after playing through 2/3 of the witcher have no intention of ever getting the books - while they arent the usualy fairytale-fagshit ... granted..... there s far better / more interesting settings/characters. but i guess that boils down to how high your standards are.
i personally even enjoyed the NWN2 OC despite cliched characters and all that shit, so it doesnt bother me much either in TW, especially coupled with how many things TW does better than the NWN2 and even MOTB (alot better implementation of combat for example).... just finding it hilaious that some people make it seem like geralt is almost in league with the nameless one, where in reality he should be shepards butt-buddy instead.

what TW definitly does right however is simply the gameplay mechanics, i find it so refreshing to not wade through hundreds of mindless filler combat enemies, or collect masses of loot. the alchemy system plain rocks as well.

while i d personally recommend NWN2 Gold over TW (MOTB alone is worth the full price, not mentioning you might get some pretty decent community made mods for it soon enough like purgatorio ) IF money is an issue (if it isnt, there s no excuse to not get both if you are a cRPG fan starved over the years...)...... TW simply does so many things right that so many other games do wrong (including MOTB), thats its simply fun and refreshing to play even despite some rough edges.

CDprojekt has a lot of talent, i love the fresh breath they bring in the genre.... i just hope their next games arent just witcher sequels, that d be a waste .... imho.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Sheek hates Geralt because she's a feminist and objects to the the brutal and in-your-face masculinity of the player character. Hence she will put forward any excuses to not play the game, when in reality this is the fundamental reason.

Ausir

Arcane
well i think sheek has one point at least. lotta people rave about geralt despite he s hardly a very original or interesting character. heck, most of his talking is along the same shit as khelgar from NWN2 or even commander shepard, if not worse in some spots.

He is a very interesting character in the books, even if the game doesn't do him justice.

MountainWest

Scholar
Nutcracker said:
Sheek hates Geralt because she's a feminist and objects to the the brutal and in-your-face masculinity of the player character. Hence she will put forward any excuses to not play the game, when in reality this is the fundamental reason.

Sheek hates The Witcher because he's involved in an imaginary war between european and american RPGs:

dagorkan said:
Azarkon said:
For some reason the hype surrounding The Witcher is saturated with European nationalism (continentalism?); so much rhetoric about how American RPGs suck and are imitations of the great RPGs in Europe. I guess it's the setting of the game, which maybe the Europeans think is the first un-bastardized version of medieval Europe or something.
I prefer American games. The only good European RPGs I can think of were the ROA/Attic Entertainment ones. Of my favorite games of any genre ROA and X-Com (1 & 2 developed in the UK).

dagorkan

Arbiter
Well you would say that, you're Polish...

Seriously though, eight times out of ten if I read a wildly fanboyish comment related to the Witcher I can be sure the poster will be a Pole when I look at their profile or post history.

I wonder if Oarfish has any Polish ancestry.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Funny observation: Jasede I think said he was an extra-territorial German, ie a German kicked out of Poland after WW2 and he appears to hate the Witcher. Also Tales is a Pole who migrated to Germany and he is one of the most moderate and reasonable supporters of the game in this thread.

MountainWest

Scholar
dagorkan said:
Funny observation: Jasede I think said he was an extra-territorial German, ie a German kicked out of Poland after WW2 and he appears to hate the Witcher. Also Tales is a Pole who migrated to Germany and he is one of the most moderate and reasonable supporters of the game in this thread.

Yeah, I said it was imaginary, didn't I?

As for Jasede: he hasn't even played the game. His critizism is directed at what he thinks is the depiction of "dirty sex". Come to think of it, is this another reason you're having a problem? Don't want to burn in hell and all that, eh?

However. It isn't the second coming of christ, I agree. But you're bashing it without even having played it - even though a lot of respected posters says it's good - which is stupid and silly and shows you've got a beef with something outside of the game itself.

dragonfk

Erudite
dagorkan I think you should just play the game and see if this "polish" lobbing is justified or not. I dont give a fuck what guys say about the game, Ill just play it(in, I hope, near future) and judge.

But on the other hand we can conclude from your posts that Poles are everywhere, they not only infested Codex but also Watch and so on. Where is our nazi VD to ban them all and cleanse our precious forum :wink: .

dagorkan

Arbiter
I'm not bashing it, I am actually trying to get out of this argument but you guys keep replying to me forcing me to involve myself more.

they not only infested Codex but also Watch and so on.
Actually I found the Watch threads on the Witcher are more moderate and more informative than the ones here. There also aren't 45 pages worth of them.

Anyway, that was my last jibe, I'm out of here.

vrok

Liturgist
A dumbfuck got to do, what a dumbfuck got to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom