Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Each location (depending on it's size) take s a significant amount of time to load. When I'm leaving a village hut into open space I just go make some tea or take something to read etc. Also when the location is already loaded the HDD is still working and it's better to pause the game and wait some minutes more. After 2-3 hours of playing I have to restart my pc (or the game CTDs first).

My rig is faaaar below recommended specs but I'm playing on maximum details (AA off and viewing distance lowered) at 1280x1024.

I belive it's possible to optimize it by defragmenting the HDD, but anyway on Monday I'm upgrading to 2GB. Maybe the patch will also address this issue - there will be one tomorrow.

EDIT: fuck!

Marsal

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
Each location (depending on it's size) take s a significant amount of time to load. When I'm leaving a village hut into open space I just go make some tea or take something to read etc. Also when the location is already loaded the HDD is still working and it's better to pause the game and wait some minutes more. After 2-3 hours of playing I have to restart my pc (or the game CTDs first).
Lower texture quality? At least it's not like Gothic 3. My God, that was excruciating to play on anything below 1.5 GB.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Marsal said:
bozia2012 said:
Lower texture quality? At least it's not like Gothic 3. My God, that was excruciating to play on anything below 1.5 GB.

Nooo it would be a blasphemy. Teh graphix are too 1337 to even make such statements :)

Kraszu

Prophet
Jasede said:
That mostly romantic impression I have doesn't fit together with that "revolution", so I'll just call the current state a corruption of a once-healthy, or once-healthier society.

Evolution made women want not only to have sex but also have it whit partner that will care for the kid and her at least for some time, hence love state, and that is why they are not in so called sex phase as often as men, and often need to start from something else attraction phase.

Jasede said:
Now, I am not crazy- but I just think things were a lot better when people actually frowned at couples making out in public, when people were not primarily seen as a sexual object of desire and then as a person,

Better for who? What does it mean not primary? It depends on condition if you go to play football other people are primary playing football machines for you, that does not mean that can't do anything else whit them later on or that you would harm/kill any of them just to win. It is about time and place, not about black or white.

Jasede said:
Thus, I'll certainly say that I'd much rather have a society with more restraint, courtousy and a certain level of.... class. Because we're human, after all, and shouldn't behave and mate like beasts, or else we might as well hop back on the trees and look for bananas.

That is ridiculous, only humans are able to go beyond what our evolution purpose is and have sex whit protection, "what beast" does that? Name one. There is plenty of animals that live in groups and that have group/partners connection there is nothing specifically human about it.

Black

Arcane
bozia2012 said:
Marsal said:
bozia2012 said:

Nooo it would be a blasphemy. Teh graphix are too 1337 to even make such statements :)
Can we have sum screnies lol kthx

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, yesterday one shop had the game just in. The guy smugly informed me that he usually releases games 2 or 3 days before the official release date. He gets them through a sub distributor so isn't bound to official release dates. Dodgy story, but what the heck, I got bioshock and total war kingdoms early as well. So I ain't complaining.

The collectors edition looked rather cool and it was only 20 euro extra, so I bought it. It's a nice big black box with the soundtrack, a map, a making of dvd and a real cool artbook. My girlfriend laughed her ass off at the erotica section, but overall the book is great and a good reason to get the collectors edition. The box also has a cool slogan. "There is no good and evil. Only choices and consequences" It brought a smile to my face.

The game starts out with a long and great looking intro. It's one of the short stories from the books that they recreated. It really sets the mood and is easily as good as Blizzards stuff. After that you start with a prologue that allready offers a fun choice. You can decide to help a fight with a big bad monster or help to protect a labarotory. The prologue was for me quite a lot of fun to play through. Plenty of action, great looking area and short enough not to be annoying.

Graphics look great, really great. I'm amazed what they did with the aurora engine. Music is at least in the prologue area quite good. A bit better than the standard fantasy fare. Sound effects are nice. The hacking and slashing looks and sounds rather meaty. Dialogues are okayish. Not as bad as I expected, but sometimes a bit stilted. There has been said enough about the combat system. It plays rather good, though I can imagine it getting a bit boring after awhile. Combat itself looks great, with nasty finishing moves and cool looking combo's.

The alchemy system looks like fun and actually usefull. With potions giving effects for severall game hours and also increasing a poison stat. Take too many potions and you get negative traits (stat decreases and the like) od on them and you die. Magic is easy to use, and through the character system you can upgrade the different signs (spells) you have. I like it.

The character system looks rather more involving than I expected. There are plenty of traits and stats to increase. It's fun to learn new moves and abilities. The screen is rather cluttered though, and I still haven't figured it all out. Not the easiest to pick up, but plenty of options to tinker around with.

The inventory has some nice touches. The different weapon and grenade slots on the armour are a cool idea and it looks neat. For me it's something I always wanted to see in a game. The inventory items in the satchel are quite small though. You have to hover over an item to be able to know what it is.

Overall it's a bit too early to have a defenite opinion. But what I've seen so far has been pretty good. I'm pretty stoked about the fact that there seem to be plenty of meaningfull choices. The gameplay has been cool as well, and the combat so far has been rather refreshing and fun. I'm not far enough in the game to see how well the game proceeds and what quests there will be. So far I'm enjoying myself immensely though. Even more than with NWN 2 MOTB, but that's probably because the controlls and camera are much better and intuitive. Wether it will be a better rpg remains to be seen, but it's been a long time ago that I had any positive feelings about the rpg genre.

Sorry for the horrible english and rambling sentences. I'm hungover as hell.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nah, an english language collectors edition bought in the Netherlands. Looks to be the normal euro version becasue the box has some small print in both english, german and french. Since the artbook has a rather expansive erotic section I don't think its the censored edition as well.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Intersting thing is about the inventory is that you can't put any big items (armor, weapons) in it - just books, alchemical components, quest items, potions. So probably you wont have to sell piles of phat lewt.

Balor

Arcane
So much as I recall, Euro version has less violence, and US version has no nudity.
Only Polish and Russian version are fully uncensored... not 100% sure.

Gwendo

Augur
The game is looking great so far. I think we have a winner here. Defenitely worthy of an extensive review by the RPGCodex.

MasPingon

Arcane
One of the things I like the most are ummm... knowlage-checks. You can't collect intrigents if you don't know them( there is no sign over them. You can't take a tongue, brain( or whatever) of the monster if you don't know how to rip it out, there are often new dialog options in situtations when knowladge is needed. Books take a very important role in The Witcher

Monolith

Prophet
Trash said:
Nah, an english language collectors edition bought in the Netherlands. Looks to be the normal euro version becasue the box has some small print in both english, german and french. Since the artbook has a rather expansive erotic section I don't think its the censored edition as well.
That's good. So there's a good chance that dialoge is just ok because of the translation.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Could be, the voice overs are pretty good so far. Dialogue is by no means bad, just not that great. But as I said I didn't get very far in yesterday. Only played it for an hour and a half before my pesky social live demanded attention. So far I've been rather impressed with the game.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Apparently the Polish version is meant to have more dialogue (references to the books that've been cut out). I might just wait till the books come here next year and give them a look, then just add in a mod with the extra dialogue (since a translation mod seems unlikely), no rush.

vrok

Liturgist
The answers to all your questions are here!

Yes you can have sex with elves and even one "monster" but no other nonhumans as far as I can tell.

There's over 20 different women to have sex with, some of them more than once (different cards)!

No you're not forced to have sex.

Bonus screenshot for the silly people discussing women:

49771596xt6.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Oh, that's something that I was meaning to ask. Are the witcher books going to be translated in english? I only found the last wish, and though the translation had it's flaws the stories self were excellent. I'm really looking forward to read more about Geralts adventures.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Trash said:
Oh, that's something that I was meaning to ask. Are the witcher books going to be translated in english? I only found the last wish, and though the translation had it's flaws the stories self were excellent. I'm really looking forward to read more about Geralts adventures.

Yep, same publisher will be releasing the first novel in the series August next year.

yarpen

Novice
I know there are plans to translate remaining books as well. In my personal opinion the translation of Last Wish could use some improvement, it feels rather artificial, hopefully next parts will be better. Sapkowki's narration is one of books' greatest strengths, shame if it would be lost in translation.

yazaga

Novice
Cool, another developer.

Yarpen, can u please tell us wheather the multilanguage version that will be sold in EU has any content censored and is it in any way different than the polish version and russian version ?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I am kind of preocupated now with my studies in university(fuck economical statistic :x ), so not much time for playing games.
I only managed to reach the first city in the game, so it's too yearly to form a serious opinion, but so far The Witcher seems to be less of a hardcore rpg than i expected, but still a great action/adventure game.
Something like a mix of Gothic and BG - great fantasy action game, but mediocre rpg.
Again, i am only at the begining of the game now, and have yet to see fabled C&C of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom