Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Balor

Arcane
That's sure a lot of fixes. How big is it?

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
The Walkin' Dude said:
Are you fucking serious?

Gambler said:
This must be some bad joke.

I've simply found that 9 out of 10 times that I like a game, I find that it got a decent mark on one of these websites. Sometimes, if I'm undecided about buying a game, as I am now, I will wait for a review on one of these websites and if it is high I will buy the game, and most of the time I'm not disappointed. I didn't mind Oblivion to be honest (shock horror), it obviously was nowhere near deserving of the praise it got, but I wouldn't say it was a particularly bad game. I found it quite entertaining for a while at least, and I never regretted buying it. I don't really see the big problem with using a popular review website as a reference before you decide to purchase a game, it's better than just going on blind hope surely.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
So I've gathered that there are no stat checks during dialog but there are alternative choices in dialog that will change the story or quest or whatever, that you can't go back on?

Monolith

Prophet
When it comes to RPGs the only websites I trust are the Codex, RPGWatch and Gamebanshee. Plus this forum. That's really all I need. And I've heard enough about The Witcher. I'm going to get it as soon as possible. Sounds like Gothic++ with a darker and less generic setting where knowledge seems more valuable than phat loot and really, that's just great.

vrok

Liturgist
Monolith said:
Sounds like Gothic++ with a darker and less generic setting where knowledge seems more valuable than phat loot and really, that's just great.
Yeah, that's a pretty accurate description. The only loot upgrades I've had are the first silver sword from a quest, and a crafted steel sword. Nothing else, and I'm quite a few hours into the game.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
So I've gathered that there are no stat checks during dialog but there are alternative choices in dialog that will change the story or quest or whatever, that you can't go back on?
Correct.

Whirler

Novice
vrok said:
Yeah, that's a pretty accurate description. The only loot upgrades I've had are the first silver sword from a quest, and a crafted steel sword. Nothing else, and I'm quite a few hours into the game.

Yup, Geralt is not carrying 10 swords along with 20 armors. There are, however, some nice razors, I've just found one in the swamps near a wyvern lair (difficult to defeat at that part of the game, so new sword is really rewarding). Still, the game is not about collecting swords and armor parts.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
vrok said:
Monolith said:
Sounds like Gothic++ with a darker and less generic setting where knowledge seems more valuable than phat loot and really, that's just great.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
Correct.

This is what I like in this game. Even a pack ghouls is a deadly threat - you have to make & drink some potions (first you have to know how to make'em) and you have to prepare a special oil to cover your sword. Or you can do it the other way - try to trip them and fnish them off with one blow (not so easy). Of course you have to move constantly so you will not get surrounded (dodging and getting past opponents is done really nice). I'm several hours in the game (nearly finished the outskirts of Vyzima) and I'm still using a sword and armor from tutorial. Doesn't matter what you use, but how you use it.

Ausir

Arcane
From what I was told by some of the makers of The Witcher, the main change in the American version is the lack of nipples.

As for women, there were some very important female characters in the book. In fact, in the later books, one of them is pretty much more important than Geralt and one is about as important as he is.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ausir said:
From what I was told by some of the makers of The Witcher, the main change in the American version is the lack of nipples.

As for women, there were some very important female characters in the book. In fact, in the later books, one of them is pretty much more important than Geralt and one is about as important as he is.

So they will have those stickers on their nipples like strippers?

sah

Liturgist
Ausir said:

In the books, Geralt has a knack for meeting strong-willed and independent women. Not sex objects at all.

sah

Liturgist
He only has sex with 3-4 women in the books, as far as I remember.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
For fuck's sake. I was just about to ring my brother (he's down the shops already) and tell him to buy this fucking game and return it to me, then I see that review, and now I'm unsure again.

I really shouldn't be so sheep-like, but now all I've got is some guy whispering "7 out of 10" in my head every time I think of buying it.

Deleted member 7219

vrok said:
63604624ra8.jpg

She's got a huuuuge ass. I'd still hit it though.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Zinc said:
For fuck's sake. I was just about to ring my brother (he's down the shops already) and tell him to buy this fucking game and return it to me, then I see that review, and now I'm unsure again.

I really shouldn't be so sheep-like, but now all I've got is some guy whispering "7 out of 10" in my head every time I think of buying it.

You should probably till the next couple of patches come out and wait for the verdict then. This game seems more like my sort of thing since I'm a fan of adventure games, so an adventure/rpg hybrid with rpg elements that play out like a 'choose your own adventure' book appeals to me. I can handle a bit of twitchiness as well (e.g, GothicNOTR), so that's no big deal for me either.

Tell us what you think if you get it, we're not seeing it in Oz for another couple of weeks or so anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom