Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Old Hans

Arcane
"Whaaat, you're DRUNK!?"

"Not truuuuue"

Starwars

Arcane
"What do you want?!"

"Mhm."

"Stop that, filthy mutant!"

"You're about to make me mad..."

"Yes?"

And then you can explore the dialogue trees.

Typical Witcher 1 conversation. :)

Gerrard

Arcane
Even the "improved" English version is still missing probably at least 1/3rd of the original dialogue.

Israfael

Arcane
Just finished the game, havent played it past act 3 before (PC died when i got it shortly after release, then i was kinda not interested, but now i started to read the books and i had to go through the game), around 30 hrs, have done most of the quests. It feels certainly organic, although this is not really an RPG (if it is, then Batman: Arkham whatever series are also RPG games), and it looks better than twitcher 2 and 3 (both of which i have, but didn't play yet). At least it was a proper PC game that was adapted to KBM. When i launched Twitcher 2, i was appalled - sluggish, laggy mouse (thanks, console mouse acceleration and UI!), bad textures (Geralt's body is abhorrent, why his head looks great but his scars and shit is done in a 1994 texture?), lots of cutscenes (first 20 mins of the game is basically a cutscene with occasional combat). Is it the same in twitcher 3?

PS The only thing that was bad about Twitcher 1 is the localization - it looks like it was translated from English into Russian (instead of Potatio -> Russian), so all the humour and flair was lost. That prompted me to switch to English instead reading/listening very bland lines that were clearly written in Engrish before the translation

Jezal_k23

I also finished the game this year for the 2nd time. Mostly I love the 2nd and 3rd chapters which really represent most of the game. Chapter 4 is alright as a break from Vizima, but by the time I got to chapter 5 I was definitely kinda rushing through it, whereas I did all the quests I could in the other chapters.

Old Hans

Arcane
A lot of people complain about witcher 1 combat, but I kind of feel like its the best in a lot of ways. He just goes in and wrecks shit with his group style sword wizardry. PLUS! I never felt like there were any situations where the AI felt lame and shitty like 3. 3 has some really awful enemy AI.

Starwars

Arcane
I think the Witcher 1 combat has its good sides. I never minded the whole "timing" mechanic and I liked the different styles as well. It's just that it feels kinda... unresponsive at times. The feedback kinda sucks in my opinion which makes the combat a pain at times.

That said, I love the use of alchemy and that you have to read books to pick plants.

Gord

Arcane
PLUS! I never felt like there were any situations where the AI felt lame and shitty like 3. 3 has some really awful enemy AI.

TBH, I didn't play 3 so far, but AI in 1 seems to be just "let's swarm the guy with the white hair".

That said, I love the use of alchemy and that you have to read books to pick plants.

Somewhat related to that mechanic - which I like in principle - does one ever get a net profit from the various monster contracts?
It does seem that usually the money you have to pay for books (necessary to get the requested monster parts) outweighs the rewards from the contracts and selling surplus monster parts isn't always a profitable follow-up either.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Witcher 1 must be played from isometric perspective. Not only it looks best from up top, but the combat becomes much better and feels more tactical. The over the shoulder view is tacked on and useless, especially in combat. It just doesnt match the combat mechanics at all.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The "isometric" camera is pretty pointless in a single-character game. The OTS camera with KB + M works clearly the best, attacking and casting signs with the mouse but moving, dodging and choosing signs with the keyboard.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
TBH, I didn't play 3 so far, but AI in 1 seems to be just "let's swarm the guy with the white hair".

Somewhat related to that mechanic - which I like in principle - does one ever get a net profit from the various monster contracts?
It does seem that usually the money you have to pay for books (necessary to get the requested monster parts) outweighs the rewards from the contracts and selling surplus monster parts isn't always a profitable follow-up either.
The most valuable resource known to man - XP.

Israfael

Arcane
You basically pay for lore, and as it was already said, experience points. It's not possible to max everything out, and 'pure stat' T4 and T5 trees have really nice things baked in (like dodge/immunity to poison/double pots and so on)

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
The "isometric" camera is pretty pointless in a single-character game. The OTS camera with KB + M works clearly the best, attacking and casting signs with the mouse but moving, dodging and choosing signs with the keyboard.
What? Pretty much every aRPG in existence is single character and isometric. And no, as i said the OTS is usess, especially considering the type of combat in the game.

Starwars

Arcane
Just about finished with Act 4 now. Can't help but feel that this could've sorta been combined with Act I in some way. The whole wedding background makes for an interesting setting I think and could've probably been incorporated with the Act I Beast stuff somehow. As it stands, I think these two acts are kinda weak on their own. The whole Vodyanoi/Dagon thing could've been cut as it's just not particularly interesting. And when Act 4 comes around, it kinda feels the story gets cockblocked a bit.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Unlike many others I don't think Act IV is the highlight of the game (Acts II and III would be that for me), but I really love what it does to the pacing of the game, giving you some breathing room and also allowing you to bring a few secondary storylines to their conclusion before the main story really kicks on again. I think the game would be much weaker without it. It does play a role in the main story as well, so it's not pure filler, and as an individual story it's really cool despite having some stuff that's not all that great nor in line with the lore. Something that games tend to get wrong (TW2 and TW3 included, although they're by no means the worst offenders) is a constant fake urgency that makes it hard to justify all the fucking around, drinking, gambling, monster hunting, sidequesting and pointless exploration, i.e. the fun stuff, but TW1 manages to find a near-perfect balance with this, usually letting you do stuff at your own leisure without constantly telling you to hurry but also managing to build up some real intensity when it's required. Act IV basically outright tells you to just hang around, kill some time and do whatever you want until the dust settles, and it's really refreshing coming so late in the game. I wish more games had parts like that.

Starwars

Arcane
Unlike many others I don't think Act IV is the highlight of the game (Acts II and III would be that for me), but I really love what it does to the pacing of the game, giving you some breathing room and also allowing you to bring a few secondary storylines to their conclusion before the main story really kicks on again. I think the game would be much weaker without it. It does play a role in the main story as well, so it's not pure filler, and as an individual story it's really cool despite having some stuff that's not all that great nor in line with the lore. Something that games tend to get wrong (TW2 and TW3 included, although they're by no means the worst offenders) is a constant fake urgency that makes it hard to justify all the fucking around, drinking, gambling, monster hunting, sidequesting and pointless exploration, i.e. the fun stuff, but TW1 manages to find a near-perfect balance with this, usually letting you do stuff at your own leisure without constantly telling you to hurry but also managing to build up some real intensity when it's required. Act IV basically outright tells you to just hang around, kill some time and do whatever you want until the dust settles, and it's really refreshing coming so late in the game. I wish more games had parts like that.

Can't say I agree with you but I get what you're saying here. For me, I think it's mostly due to the fact that game cockblocks you (for what, the third or fourth time?) with Azar Javed escaping yet again, and then you're stuck doing a bunch of busywork again (some of which is interesting). The Salamandra storyline is way too drawn out in my opinion, with not much interesting happening for the most part, and in Act 3 I think it *feels* like it's going to come to a close but nope... And then that questline just lies dormant for basically the entirety of Act 4. I found that rather annoying.

But again, I really enjoy parts of Act 4. The wedding setting is really fresh and a great background for some dark shit to go down. It's interesting to meet Berengar. The areas are *fantastic* visually speaking. But for me, it just grinds the game to a halt it comes around.

Act 2 and 3 are the strongest for me. Just entered Act 5 now, don't remember much of it.

Old One

Arcane
I recently started a new playthrough of TW1. On the camera issue, I find myself switching between Low Iso (F2) and OTS (F3). OTS is decidedly better in enclosed areas like crypts and caves, but Low Iso is generally better in open, outdoor areas for its "all around" awareness. I warmed up to Low Iso a lot when I figured out that holding down Mouse Button 3 zooms down to near-OTS levels. This works really well for running (and as we all know, Chapter 1 has lots and lots and lots of running).

High Iso limits your view distance too much. Enemies can be almost on top of you before you're aware they exist.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Can't say I agree with you but I get what you're saying here. For me, I think it's mostly due to the fact that game cockblocks you (for what, the third or fourth time?) with Azar Javed escaping yet again, and then you're stuck doing a bunch of busywork again (some of which is interesting). The Salamandra storyline is way too drawn out in my opinion, with not much interesting happening for the most part, and in Act 3 I think it *feels* like it's going to come to a close but nope... And then that questline just lies dormant for basically the entirety of Act 4. I found that rather annoying.

But again, I really enjoy parts of Act 4. The wedding setting is really fresh and a great background for some dark shit to go down. It's interesting to meet Berengar. The areas are *fantastic* visually speaking. But for me, it just grinds the game to a halt it comes around.

Act 2 and 3 are the strongest for me. Just entered Act 5 now, don't remember much of it.

Actually, Act IV is the most important for the storyline.

Gord

Arcane
Hmm, but even if we assume that
the grand master is Alvin,
act 4 does mostly influence the Scoiatel vs Flaming Rose subplot and is not linked to much else, iirc.
Which would mean that the most important happening for the main story is Alvin tp'ing away, but that happens at the very end of the chapter.
Granted, I've played through the game only once, so I might have missed some of the C&C surrounding the Grand Master. Still, I think it will mostly change some flavour text, won't it?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Still, I think it will mostly change some flavour text, won't it?
If you think that the motivation of the Grand Master is flavour text, sure. Jacques de Aldersberg's ideals are mainly shaped by your conversations with Alvin during Act IV. Of course, the result will be more or less the same regardless of what you choose, but it doesn't really make Act IV any less vital to the overall story. Cut Act IV and you'll cut an important chunk out of the game's main villain and his development, even more so than any of the earlier chapters.

The Grand Master being Alvin is not really even up for debate, it's completely obvious and pretty much confirmed in TW3.

Gord

Arcane
Hm, ok, but it doesn't change anything about what happens in the game, does it?
The story will unfold the same way (necessarily so since the conversations happen very late in the game, so unless CDP has developed some potato-fueled time-traveling code...) and even if his motivations were different - his actions were not.
Even act 5 stays the same, I think? Hence, flavor text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom