Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

MasPingon

Arcane
From official The Witcher forum

Allrighty here we go...
1st. No jump,lol?
2nd.No WALK,ffs? was that too hard 2 add?
3rd No free fight,current fight kinda sucks.
4th No sneak or something?
5th No stealing...loot houses like nothing happened...
6th No sweamingHuh
7th No exploring?Well its supposed to be an RPG,yes?

Missing major RPG elements...

Here comes next gen players

Deleted member 7219

Sweaming? What the fuck...

I think it shows how much my mind has been twisted by this rubbish that I know they mean swimming....

And not to mention the 'lol', the 'ffs', the no spaces after punctuation marks.... ugh.

Jora

Arcane
Swimming practically defines RPGs. Even the posters on the old Interplay board knew this. What better way to prove you're playing a role than to swim endlessly?

Maybe one or two small islands off the cost where you could either take months swimming to or take a boat or something. Along with this you could maybe go fishing.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1974

edit: What does it tell about me that I remembered the existence of that quote? :?

Deleted member 7219

Jora thanks for the link!

I liked this one:

Oh yeah, and more blood and gore. And throw rape in there too, if at all possible.

Sounds like it could have come from the Codex (well, the last part anyway) :P

Black

Arcane
We forgot to ask one thing- how's the bloom? Is it the ultimate bl00m epxerience lol ?

V
I LIEK NOSTAGLY

Deleted member 7219

Black said:
We forgot to ask one thing- how's the bloom? Is it the ultimate bl00m epxerience lol ?

Dude go back to 2001 lol its 2007 games have HDR now.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
k. not that any of you give a shit whether I purchase this or not, but I need a final answer. Shall I actually buy this game or not? Please just weigh up the good and the bad and tell me whether it is worth purchasing because if it is I will walk down the shops tomorrow morning and buy it. But if it is disappointing and not worth the 30 quid or whatever, just tell me. !!! Please help me codex. Please, codex, please.

cardtrick

Arbiter
You should buy it. I couldn't care less whether or not you enjoy it, and I haven't played it myself, but I would like for you to spend your money to support a developer that I think is capable of good things.

vrok

Liturgist
Zinc said:
k. not that any of you give a shit whether I purchase this or not, but I need a final answer. Shall I actually buy this game or not? Please just weigh up the good and the bad and tell me whether it is worth purchasing because if it is I will walk down the shops tomorrow morning and buy it. But if it is disappointing and not worth the 30 quid or whatever, just tell me. !!! Please help me codex. Please, codex, please.
Learn to read or fuck off.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I still run 2k and I don't know if it'll even run.

Seeing how more and more games really don't want to run on 2k, I'll probably have to get XP, but I don't want to buy a game and find out I can't play.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Matt7895 said:
The weird thing is, being as masculinist or chauvinist in today's society is considered wrong (as it should be, as it is sexist). But being feminist isn't!
That's because jihad means the peaceful pursuit of self-improvement, not-- er, wait.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Oh god, that official forum is teeming with fucking idiots. Some guy complaining that playing on hard makes the game too hard was the first post I read.

But it got better.

Gotta love blind faith fanboism. So predictable.

Original post: "Wow those cutscenes don't look very good"

Fanboy response (you are allowed multiple choices):
1. No it doesn't (the Emperor Has No Clothes syndrome)
2. It's beta
3. They'll fix it in a patch (rriiiiiiiiighhhhhtt...*looks at NWN2 cutscenes, still broken and terrible).
4. Act like the original poster insulted your mother.

You rarely if ever see issues like this AAA games (FFXII, ResidentEvil, MGS, Gears of WAR, God of War, etc.). I highly doubt Mass Effect will have this issue.

PS: No I wouldn't complain about a delay if they were fixing issues like that. I've got plenty of games to play to tide me over. I'm gonna hold off on Witcher for a month or so to see how it shakes out in reviews.

Yeah, there is a lot of the usual idiots around. But to my mild surprise, quite a lot of the threads and posts were at least half intelligent. Perhaps that "mature" rating is actually working. :lol:

Get it, it's worth it. As the last couple of pages filled with praise might have told you.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Play only on the hardest difficulty - this way the fights will be like in the books (you will actually have to prepare for fights).

BTW: you can walk - just hold the cursor near you while walking (DUH!). I guess walking-not-running is one of the primary next-gen-RPG features.

scypior

Novice
Hi,

Maybe I'll post my reaction;) That won't be too long, as I wasn't playing too long :/

First, the requirements - they made stupid requirement for the processors, and Athlons XP prior to 64bit and some others without SSE2 aren't supported...

And my PC is:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB
768MB RAM

But oh well, I've bought it anyway, and it started - succesfully. So I think - maybe they were too lazy to test it on such machines, that is whye they stated it in requirements, to ease work of technical support...

Ok, I started. Intro movie - an animation by Platige Image - rather unconnected with the story of the game, a little too long, but nice.

New game - loading.

Oh no, still loading. (I have 768MB RAM, min req is 1GB)

Ok, I'm in. Intro cutscene. Where the fuck it is - I got black screen, desynchroznied audio, but after while everything was normal, but I hadn't a chance to see the beggining of this cutscene:/

So I'm in game - everything run quite smoothly on min settings (except cutscenes), but rather ok. Combat in prolog is easy, but somewhat attractive. Fun thing is, that in the beginning I was trying to get the feel of timings one need to do to execute combo sequence, staring at the pointer (it changes color when you should click), and because of that I wasn't able to see all this nice combat animations;p I was focused on pointer.

But ok, I've solved first simple quests (got few loading meanwhile, which lluckiliy weren't that long as first).

So I was off to change location to some new entirely new. Loading( a long one), then cutscene. Oh no, again black screen. After a while I started to see something. Someone was talking. But who? Where are they? Oh my god, models disappeared...except some quards...they have eyeballs, jaw and swords. That's all. Then, the game crashed.

So I started again (I have autosave before the final cutscene in Kaehr Morhen) so I have to pass through two LONG loadings to get to this new location. But soon after itl oaded - a crash. And again. I started manipulating some things on my PC, but it won't help.

Technical support told me it's because of my processor which doesn't support SSE2. But how it managed to work so far? Still, I have no answer...

Texas Red

Whiner
Are the loading times possibly more long than in NWN 2(same engine)? The ones in NWN 2 already gave me brain AIDS.

Whirler

Novice
scypior said:
Technical support told me it's because of my processor which doesn't support SSE2. But how it managed to work so far? Still, I have no answer...

Wtf have you been thinking? Running the game below minimum requirements (low ram, rather shitty processor) and still compaining about performance?

Nevertheless, game may run on not supported specs, but as you can see there may be some issues. I would rather be happy that the game has launched on such crappy specs (life is brutal, dude) at all.

bluecuracao

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:
Are the loading times possibly more long than in NWN 2(same engine)? The ones in NWN 2 already gave me brain AIDS.

With my 2 GB RAM and a fast HD the loading times are only a minor annoyance. There are certainly too many of them (each time you enter a building), but they're pretty short.

I say buy the game, this minor issue is nothing compared to the overall excellence of it.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Claw said:
The only thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I still run 2k and I don't know if it'll even run.

I'm also running 2k and not planning to change... so I'd like to know if it works, but then possibly a more serious issue for me is:

scypior said:
they made stupid requirement for the processors, and Athlons XP prior to 64bit and some others without SSE2 aren't supported

Oh, I'm used to being min spec or thereabouts, but if it needs SSE2 and I don't have it then that's me out of the running for purchase.. damn. I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while and until the recent MotB gushing started it was most likely candidate to join Orange Box for my xmas games.

Oh, well, I should be able to upgrade my PC in a few years time if the UK interest rates start to drop...

:cry:

Unless I can find a very cheap MB that takes a cheap C2D and my DDR1 + AGP 6600gt maybe. That doesn't require more power than my current PSU can provide... probably 300-350W since it's 5+ years old. :roll:

Kind offers of unneeded components welcome. ;-)

Oarfish

Prophet
I had some initial technical difficulties, but I'm running it on a laptop which is always a pain in the arse. Quick trip to laptopvideo2go to get latest forceware hacked for mobile did the trick.

If anybody is still undecided, just BUY THE DAMN GAME ALREADY. Don't bloody warez it either. This is the best RPG since Troika left us.

Allanon

Augur
Oarfish said:
This is the best RPG since Troika left us.

Haven't played long enough to judge, but so far it defenitely seems so. It also helps if you're familiar with the books.

As far as loading times are concerned, on my P4 2.4, 1gig, 6600gt, windows XP rig it can take up to 1.5 minutes(!!) to load outdoor locations. However, if I frequent the same place it usually still holds it in the memory so loading times are considerably shorter but nevertheless it's a major annoyance. The surprising thing is that it ran at all on this oldie, so I'm happy.

scypior

Novice
Whirler said:
Wtf have you been thinking? Running the game below minimum requirements (low ram, rather shitty processor) and still compaining about performance?

Nevertheless, game may run on not supported specs, but as you can see there may be some issues. I would rather be happy that the game has launched on such crappy specs (life is brutal, dude) at all.

Yeah, I know - but still I think it's not optimized very well. Yet some people are able to play it on similar machines.

Oarfish

Prophet
If you are having loading time problems, try using the contig file defragmenter. Go to you witcher directory on the command line and:

contig -s -v *

Should defrag all those chunky binaries without having to do your whole drive.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
vrok said:
Zinc said:
Learn to read or fuck off.

Gimme a break. I didn't have time to read the last couple of pages before I posted that, but now I have so I bought the game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom