Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

I wouldn't say alchemy in Witcher 3 is useless, it's just unnecessary - this is due to other factors in addition to the alchemy system itself (such as trivial combat, the existence of Quen, the combat tech tree giving you free telegraphed dodges, etc.)

Also, there is an easy way to make gathering ingredients an engaging gameplay mechanic instead of just OCD hoarder bait - make them scarce and put them in tough areas/make it a risk to go get them. Balance this out by having potions have a longer duration, this would lead to people thinking about when to use potions instead of just chugging everything in their inventory that they can refill at will as soon as the battle ends by meditating for one second.

But, this would go against the number one priority of games today, which is making the player feel AWSUM 100% of the time.

nomask7

Arcane
I wouldn't say alchemy in Witcher 3 is useless, it's just unnecessary - this is due to other factors in addition to the alchemy system itself (such as trivial combat, the existence of Quen, the combat tech tree giving you free telegraphed dodges, etc.)

Also, there is an easy way to make gathering ingredients an engaging gameplay mechanic instead of just OCD hoarder bait - make them scarce and put them in tough areas/make it a risk to go get them. Balance this out by having potions have a longer duration, this would lead to people thinking about when to use potions instead of just chugging everything in their inventory that they can refill at will as soon as the battle ends by meditating for one second.

But, this would go against the number one priority of games today, which is making the player feel AWSUM 100% of the time.

I'm not sure tight resource management is such a good idea in an open world game. Completely different in something like Ultimate Doom or Dark Omen where the levels and encounters are pretedermined and there's not much room for doing your own thing. In an open world game though, resource management amounts to resource gathering, making it a compeletely different kind of thing and basically missing the whole point. IMO, better to just have a nice chore-less system with infinite inventory space at that point.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
But infinite inventory is a huge chore, because there's no reason to not pick everything up, and because you'll have to sort through a huge amount of clutter every time you want to sell or equip something. The system also has to be balanced around the fact that the player might decide to stash the entire game world into his inventory, because otherwise the economy would instantly break. This pretty much screws up every non-obsessive player.

nomask7

Arcane
But infinite inventory is a huge chore, because there's no reason to not pick everything up, and because you'll have to sort through a huge amount of clutter every time you want to sell or equip something. The system also has to be balanced around the fact that the player might decide to stash the entire game world into his inventory, because otherwise the economy would instantly break. This pretty much screws up every non-obsessive player.

Probably the vast majority of what you pick up in Witcher 3 is crafting materials and stackable stuff like health or alcohol. Crafting materials and alcohol are used automatically, so there is no chore involved. And health stuff stacks into a few groups, so again no chore involved, as far as inventory management is concerned.

Gathering it all is another matter, but you don't strictly speaking HAVE TO gather it much. You could say it exists in the game world for those who enjoy gathering a lot of stuff. Most of the time when I gather something, I do it while performing a quest in some dungeon or house, and honestly it just feels lulzy or enjoyable because some character is telling me to hurry and I'm just robbing some poor bastard blind. People enjoy different things, I just don't see how all this is a big deal in this game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How exactly does this prevent people from burning themselves out on item-gathering busywork?

Constant inventory management.

I've barely had to visit the stash at all in Witcher 3 which is great, compared to my frequent trips in the first two.

It's only smart in the context of preventing hoarding, which in itself is a side effect of the terrible inventory system that allows you to carry around enough stuff to equip the whole Nilfgaardian army and encourages you to pick up everything that isn't nailed to the floor.

That is actually a good thing. Weight should only matter with regards to your weapon and armor loadout.

In practice the refilling system only works for the first few hours when you've only got access to a couple of potions and might actually run out of alcohol. But later on? You'll probably be carrying hundreds of bottles of Dwarven Spirit, which you can use at any time to replenish your entire massive arsenal of potions right away. Like almost everything else about the game's systems, all semblance of balance is thrown out of the window after reaching a certain point in the game.

When resources are scarce, no one uses them. They save them for "when they need them", a time that never comes.

When resources are scarce, no one uses them. They save them for "when they need them", a time that never comes.

The proper solution to this problem, in my mind, is not to make the resources overabundant or trivial - it is precisely to make them necessary. To do that, we would need to do away with trivial encounters and saving anywhere, but that is pretty much unthinkable in gaming today (or has been for a long time, for that matter). To properly balance it, it couldn't be a "mode", a game would have to be designed from the ground up to not allow savescumming.

The ideal system for me is something like the original Wizardries. I don't think that's feasible nowadays.

nomask7

Arcane
The proper solution to this problem, in my mind, is not to make the resources overabundant or trivial - it is precisely to make them necessary. To do that, we would need to do away with trivial encounters and saving anywhere, but that is pretty much unthinkable in gaming today (or has been for a long time, for that matter). To properly balance it, it couldn't be a "mode", a game would have to be designed from the ground up to not allow savescumming.

The ideal system for me is something like the original Wizardries. I don't think that's feasible nowadays.

You must not have played Dark Souls?

The difference between Dark Souls and Witcher 3 is that the former is predetermined levels and monster placement, the latter is an open-world game. What you want can be done nicely in the context of the former type of game, and can't be done properly or at all in the context of an open-world game.

In Dark Souls you have, say, three uses of a health potion until it runs out, per stage. When you start over, your health potions are refilled, but the monsters are also respawned. So you have to be careful when fighting and going through the level, because you'll easily run out of health. You ALSO don't have to gather health potions, so there's not that chore involved. Indeed, you CANNOT gather health potions, so there's no cheating here, no stock piling for the harder levels, which is what would inevitably occur in an open world game - ruining the whole point of it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Gathering it all is another matter, but you don't strictly speaking HAVE TO gather it much.
You might think differently when you reach the expansions and want to craft the best stuff...

Constant inventory management.

I've barely had to visit the stash at all in Witcher 3 which is great, compared to my frequent trips in the first two.
I don't remember ever using the stash in TW1. In fact, I think it was quite unnecessary in that game, whereas in TW3 its existence is justified because of how the crafting system works (i.e. you need to have the previous version of an item before you can craft an updated one).

I don't see anything wrong with inventory management, per se. Constant resource management is an integral part of every decent game that involves killing things. What you have in TW3, though, is much closer to a massive house cleaning, every once in a while getting rid of all the trash that you've gathered. I very much enjoyed the limited inventory in TW1, and managing it was a joy. When I found a sword, I usually just left it on the ground. When I found food or water, I often consumed it right away, or just ignored it as useless. If I found valuable loot like a ring or a necklace, I might've made some space for it by drinking a potion. I also enjoyed the fact that I could see everything I was carrying on one screen. In TW3 I just walk up to every corpse and container and mindlessly loot everything, because the game allows me to. There's no thought involved, it's just brainless busywork, the worst kind of tedium you can have in this kind of a game. That still doesn't mean there's any less inventory management to do — what goes around, comes around, and occasionally you just need to clean up that massive pile of junk you're carrying.

There's also the lore thing about Geralt absolutely abhorring looters of all kind, and TW1's system was more fitting in that regard.

Did TW1 have this issue? Because from what I remember, I was high on Swallow and Tawny Owl pretty much all the time.

nomask7

Arcane
You might think differently when you reach the expansions and want to craft the best stuff...

I'll probably manage. Can't be more epic (or "epic", if you will) than gathering all those dragon roots in Gothic 2 Gold so I could use Dragon Slicer (and still fail to kill half of the Valley dragons :lol: ).

You must not have played Dark Souls?

The difference between Dark Souls and Witcher 3 is that the former is predetermined levels and monster placement, the latter is an open-world game. What you want can be done nicely in the context of the former type of game, and can't be done properly or at all in the context of an open-world game.

In Dark Souls you have, say, three uses of a health potion until it runs out, per stage. When you start over, your health potions are refilled, but the monsters are also respawned. So you have to be careful when fighting and going through the level, because you'll easily run out of health. You ALSO don't have to gather health potions, so there's not that chore involved. Indeed, you CANNOT gather health potions, so there's no cheating here, no stock piling for the harder levels, which is what would inevitably occur in an open world game - ruining the whole point of it.

Yes, I've played all Souls games. You could hoard healing items in Demon's Souls (the precursor to Dark Souls), and even though you have a limited amount of Estus in Dark Souls 1/2/3, it's possible to grind and hoard another type of resource - souls (even though grinding isn't too effective, it's still possible. And limitless.) However, I do agree that limited resources in an open-world game is a lot harder to do. Given the more action-oriented turn the series took after 1, I think Witcher would work much better as an action-adventure game with fixed progression and more focused on difficult hunts - the rpg-lite aspects only drag the game down.

nomask7

Arcane
Yes, I've played all Souls games. You could hoard healing items in Demon's Souls (the precursor to Dark Souls), and even though you have a limited amount of Estus in Dark Souls 1/2/3, it's possible to grind and hoard another type of resource - souls (even though grinding isn't too effective, it's still possible. And limitless.) However, I do agree that limited resources in an open-world game is a lot harder to do. Given the more action-oriented turn the series took after 1, I think Witcher would work much better as an action-adventure game with fixed progression and more focused on difficult hunts - the rpg-lite aspects only drag the game down.

I specifically said Dark Souls, because it only had estus flask. Dark Souls II had both estus flask and hoardable health gems, so even From seems to be all over the place with simple stuff like this. So I guess it's partially to do with decline as well - wanting to please the type of gamer who thinks everything should be grindable and hoardable and who doesn't want to get stuck anywhere ("grind to win" seems not to offend most people's sensibilities).

Gerrard

Arcane
I actually think the auto-refilling potions trivializes a lot of the concept of being a Witcher. Reagents should be more scarce and potions should be more powerful in this game, it's one of its main faults. In fact, I think the game should have been balanced around potions being required for certain encounters and not merely optional.
You mean that random villagers having alchemical solvent and expensive dwarven spirits stashed around in various chests and barrels and you end up carrying enough to supply an army of witchers by the end of it makes no sense? Naaaah.

The superior potions are absurdly powerful though
The whole reason why starting potions and oils are useless was the introduction of the multi-tiered system in the first place. It was an awful design choice made only to have "more shit to collect" (not to mention made no fucking sense within the realm of the game when you had to re-learn them twice before). And the collecting part was also handled in the worst possible way, because you find the recipes in random crates in some sewers as they are part of random loot. So you might go through the whole game never getting some of them, and it forces you to check every container.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't remember ever using the stash in TW1. In fact, I think it was quite unnecessary in that game, whereas in TW3 its existence is justified because of how the crafting system works (i.e. you need to have the previous version of an item before you can craft an updated one).

I don't see anything wrong with inventory management, per se. Constant resource management is an integral part of every decent game that involves killing things. What you have in TW3, though, is much closer to a massive house cleaning, every once in a while getting rid of all the trash that you've gathered.

I needed it because you can't possibly hold every possible alchemy ingredient at once and there are also lot of consumables/random items that are good to have that need managing.

In W3, the only house cleaning you need to do is with weapons and armors. You don't need to bother with the other tabs at all.

Did TW1 have this issue? Because from what I remember, I was high on Swallow and Tawny Owl pretty much all the time.

Resources are not scarce in the Witcher, no. All the plants respawn.

The whole reason why starting potions and oils are useless was the introduction of the multi-tiered system in the first place.

I'd disagree about their being useless. Tier 1 stuff is noticeably effective (that 10% damage boost helped a lot with my first werewolf fight), just not significantly so.

nomask7

Arcane
By the way, is there something about some monsters regenerating their health (and doing it fast) that I should know about? Is it that some uniques just behave in this fashion or what? I've killed two regenerating monsters (one werewolf and one vampire of some sort) and goddamn those battles were intense. Is the regeneration there just to make the occasional mini boss more intense or am I missing something?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the way, is there something about some monsters regenerating their health (and doing it fast) that I should know about? Is it that some uniques just behave in this fashion or what? I've killed two regenerating monsters (one werewolf and one vampire of some sort) and goddamn those battles were intense. Is the regeneration there just to make the occasional mini boss more intense or am I missing something?

It's part of the creatures' lore, and also there so you don't get complacent with playing defensively all the time.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I needed it because you can't possibly hold every possible alchemy ingredient at once and there are also lot of consumables/random items that are good to have that need managing.
In general there's no need to hold every possible ingredient as you can use one to replace the other. There's about a dozen or so different ingredients that contain Aether, but you only need one to be able to brew Swallow. Having a more extensive list of ingredients allows you to have potions with secondary effects, but even then it's unnecessary to try to collect everything as you can easily memorize a few simple combinations.

I was rarely running out of space since I preferred to put all those alchemy ingredients to use rather quickly (as well as other consumables like alcohol, pastes and powders). The good thing about limited inventories is that they make you want to actually use stuff.

Resources are not scarce in the Witcher, no. All the plants respawn.
Exactly. There are alternatives between "so scarce that you'll never use them" and "practically infinite".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The good thing about limited inventories is that they make you want to actually use stuff.

If this were the case, the existence of a stash wouldn't be necessary.

There are alternatives between "so scarce that you'll never use them" and "practically infinite".

What's not practically infinite about respawning plants?

nomask7

Arcane
Exactly. There are alternatives between "so scarce that you'll never use them" and "practically infinite".

How does the player gauge when he should use a Limited Edition health potion in a huge open world game and when he shouldn't? By reading guides or....?

I'm all for tight resource management in games that are meant to be played and restarted multiple times after the player has played himself into a corner by using too many resources too soon. However, it's very much a system that doesn't work in a huge story-driven game that you probably don't want to play through more than once or twice - and certainly don't want to restart mid-game because you ran out of some critical resource.

Because that is the practical result of making resources matter and not be "infinite" in an open world game. That, or people hoarding blindly and save-scumming to save resources for the future that may or may not need those resources.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact that you need alcohol to brew anything.

While not infinite, there's plenty of it available in the world and in stores. And since standard alcohol can be turned into white gull which can be used as a substitute for high and top quality stuff, you don't even need to bother to pay those higher prices.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
While not infinite, there's plenty of it available in the world and in stores. And since standard alcohol can be turned into white gull which can be used as a substitute for high and top quality stuff, you don't even need to bother to pay those higher prices.
The important thing is that it costs money, being possibly the biggest money sink in the game along with books. You can't just spam potions like there's no tomorrow, but you still need to use them in order to survive. In TW3 you don't have that since there's so much alcohol just lying around, and a single bottle allows you to reuse all of your potions whenever you feel like it.

How does the player gauge when he should use a Limited Edition health potion in a huge open world game and when he shouldn't? By reading guides or....?
It's a game where you play a witcher, and preparing for fights in the appropriate way is a key part of a witcher's profession.

I'm not suggesting a hard limit on the amount of potions you can use or anything like that, but there should be some real cost to using them. Very early on you might actually have to buy alcohol to replenish those few potions you're carrying, but you'll still want to use those potions because Swallow is by far the best way to heal yourself, Tawny Owl is potentially very important in certain fights where you might have to rely on your signs quite a lot, and so on. During those early hours the system works. However, later on this element disappears almost entirely, as there's no real cost to potion use, no real resource management involved when you've got everything you need in abundance.

nomask7

Arcane
The important thing is that it costs money, being possibly the biggest money sink in the game along with books. You can't just spam potions like there's no tomorrow, but you still need to use them in order to survive. In TW3 you don't have that since there's so much alcohol just lying around, and a single bottle allows you to reuse all of your potions whenever you feel like it.

It's a game where you play a witcher, and preparing for fights in the appropriate way is a key part of a witcher's profession.

I'm not suggesting a hard limit on the amount of potions you can use or anything like that, but there should be some real cost to using them. Very early on you might actually have to buy alcohol to replenish those few potions you're carrying, but you'll still want to use those potions because Swallow is by far the best way to heal yourself, Tawny Owl is potentially very important in certain fights where you might have to rely on your signs quite a lot, and so on. During those early hours the system works. However, later on this element disappears almost entirely, as there's no real cost to potion use, no real resource management involved when you've got everything you need in abundance.

But in that case you have to have a method of replenishing your purse, so you can buy new potions or alcohol when necessary. So basically, "grind to win".

Just don't much care for that type of gameplay. I'd much rather grind for optional improvements in my gear than to get basic resources like health potions, as I've stated previously with regards to repairing weapons. I don't see how this is anything except a difference in player psychology. Like, can you say why grinding should be focused on grinding for basic resources, I mean if grinding is something that needs to exist in a game like this? I think it would be reasonable if grinding were made optional, i.e. it would be grinding for upgrades in order to beat optional mega challenges, not grinding for basic shit that is imposed on everyone whether they like it or not.

Last edited:
During those early hours the system works. However, later on this element disappears almost entirely, as there's no real cost to potion use, no real resource management involved when you've got everything you need in abundance.

You've just described a perennial problem in game design and game theory. I myself am always more engaged when resources are scarce and choices feel like they matter, but I can't think of a single game that retains that feel all the way through to the end. It's part of the reason why I rarely finish any games these days - they just cease to be engaging in any meaningful way.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just crafted the full set of Grandmaster Griffin armor yesterday. The progression is so impressive. I looked up interviews with the artists who designed the armors and clothing in the game, but I found this article:

The Witcher 3 has the best armor in video games
Until The Witcher 2, I’d never played a game where characters actually looked like they were wearing clothing. Of course game characters aren’t usually naked; they’re drawn or modeled with a stylish everyman hoodie or blinged out power suit. But that clothing never felt like something the character was wearing; it always seemed too form-fitting, like an inseparable part of the character model. When Mario switches from his blue to red overalls with a fire-flower pick-up, it doesn’t seem like he’s changing his wardrobe. His entire character design is changing in an instant.

Then I played The Witcher 2. The Witcher 2 has real clothing and armor: it looks layered, chunky, with stitching and patterning and fluffy collars. Leather straps crisscross woven fabrics which cover thick chainmail. At the time, I was wowed by the graphical detail, but that was about it. Now, after three months and 85 hours invested in The Witcher 3, I can’t stop thinking about how great Geralt’s vast, evolving wardrobe is. Geralt’s armor is even more detailed and varied than in The Witcher 2, but I came to appreciate it for more than looks.

Geralt’s clothing in The Witcher 3 helps sell the authenticity of the world and the epic, months- and miles-spanning story it has to tell. If you’d told me three months ago that I’d finish The Witcher 3 and reflect more on its armor than its ending, I would’ve been skeptical. But here we are.

missing-image.svg

Threads of fate
I used to get a little thrill out of RPGs, mostly Japanese RPGs, that actually showed my character wearing the new armor or wielding the new blade I’d found in the last treasure chest. Seeing that new equipment contributed greatly to the sense of progression over dozens of hours, making new armor more significant than a mere stat boost. It was a rare thing: most games stuck with a static character design for the duration, or only changed what the characters were wearing at key narrative moments. Even as modern 3D games made unique armor models less novel, I enjoyed them as symbols of progress: in Oblivion, I switched to the awkward third-person camera for a couple hours each time I crafted a new armor set (the Daedric armor was obviously the best).

The Witcher 3 more thoroughly integrates clothing into its progression arc and its narrative than any other RPG I’ve played. As rewards for completing quests, exploring the world, and collecting crafting diagrams, each new piece of armor is lusciously detailed. Witcher 3’s gambesons and brigandines are the big-budget, artists-gone-wild descendents of those little pixelated chestpieces and helms I used to fawn over.

CD Projekt Red’s artists show a unique talent for turning real textiles into natural-looking digital textures. Layering is the key, as any hip San Franciscan with a plaid button down, hoodie, coat, and cashmere scarf will tell you. Most games don’t do a great job of this. Let’s look at Skyrim as an example from a few years ago.

missing-image.svg

Images from Elder Scrolls Pages, Elder Scrolls wiki
On the left is Skyrim’s light leather armor, and on the right is the Stormcloak armor. I think both are cool designs, and Bethesda’s artists used some smart texturing to convey the different pieces of cloth meant to make up each piece of armor. But you can see how the layers don’t feel very three dimensional. Outside the leather armor’s pauldrons, the material mostly looks flat, especially the straps along his thighs. Darker shading around edges can only do so much.

The same goes for the strap along the Stormcloak armor’s chest, and the chainmail layered underneath the vest. They look like different materials, but they still look conjoined, not like one is placed atop the other, and the whole thing is skintight on the model.

For something a bit more contemporary to the right is some armor from Dragon Age: Inquisition which runs on the much more detailed Frostbite engine.

missing-image.svg

Image via Dragon Age wiki.

Inquisition’s armor is definitely a big step up over Skyrim’s. The creases and light patterning make the fabrics look more realistic, and from the front, the jerkin (I think that’s a jerkin? We’ll call it a jerkin) looks like it’s actually layered over the purple leather. From the side, that depth mostly disappears. The straps don’t look like separate objects, and the jerkin, leather and chainmail all look like one form-fitting piece.

There’s doubtless armor in Inquisition (like In Death, Sacrifice) with more detail and more prominent layering, but it’s hard to beat The Witcher 3. Most of Geralt’s armor truly looks like it’s made from a collection of real materials woven together by someone within its own world (although most of the blacksmiths in the Northern Kingdoms don’t quite look like fine armor artisans).

Still, look at this shit. This is Geralt’s starting armor, a Skellige Gambeson, and an Angrenian Cuirass, all equipment you can wear early in the game. The detail is on another level.

The starting armor is an amazing combination of chainmail and leather, and there are tons of little touches of three dimensionality. The raised pauldrons. The gloves sticking out at the elbows. The belts curling outward. The other two armor sets aren’t nearly as badass—I think most Witcher 3 players remember the amusing moment they put on a Skellige Gambeson and wondered why they’d just exchanged chainmail for a puffy sweater—but I still love how much this piece of armor looks like real clothing. The sleeves are loose, demonstrating Geralt’s pro layering skills. And with both the gambeson and the cuirass, you can see how the tops are separate articles of clothing that don’t connect seamlessly with the trousers, like your typical video game bodysuit.

Dress to impress
OK, so that’s more nerding out about textiles and fashion than I’ve ever done in my life, but there’s a point to it all in The Witcher 3, for me. It adds up to something more significant. As I mentioned before, the attention devoted to each piece of armor made them feel especially rewarding to craft or earn as rewards for completing quests. I looked forward to leveling up just to be able to check out a new piece of armor I’d been toting around for three hours. But that level of detail also justified the most involved quests in the game: hunting down the Witcher school gear crafting diagrams, which were scattered around Witcher 3’s giant game world.

Completing a perfect set of Witcher armor from one of the schools (Wolf, Cat, Bear, Griffin, Viper) is a serious undertaking, but it pays off with armor that looks cooler than anything else in the game (and has better stats, naturally). The treasure hunt begins with a quest to find individual crafting diagrams for steel and silver swords, gauntlets, armor, trousers, and boots. Once you’ve found them all, you can start a new quest for Enhanced Armor. And then Superior Armor. And, finally, Mastercrafted armor, which you’ll only be able to craft if you’ve gone through a separate pair of lengthy quests.

The stat payoff isn’t really worth it unless you’re playing on the hardest difficulty—I blasted through the endgame with my Mastercrafted Wolf gear. It’s the artistry devoted to the armor that makes each upgrade feel worthwhile. Just look at how the Wolf armor improves with each upgrade.

missing-image.svg

Image via PowerPyx's Youtube channel
That is some awesome armor, and I worked hard to earn it.

Over the 85 hours or so I played The Witcher 3, Geralt’s progression through weapons and armor felt like a natural extension of the time that passed in-game. I was covering long distances and traversing different cultures, and could see my own armor choices reflected in the people of that region. I felt a little sheepish talking to folks in the Northern Kingdoms wearing my Nilfgaardian Guard Armor with its prissy neck thing. I also felt uncomfortable wearing some great heavy armor I earned when I realized it was the same uniform as the witch hunters who were hounding Triss.

I slaughtered an entire barracks of witch hunters at one point. It was a bad scene.

The point is, all that armor feels real enough to convey something about one of the cultures in The Witcher 3. This was even reinforced by a couple great scenes where Geralt’s companions encourage him to dress up for a party. Geralt hates dressing up. But swapping out of a layered suit of armor for a cushy doublet adds so much to the authenticity of Geralt’s world as a real place.

missing-image.svg

It’s not that changing outfits makes the game feel more immersive. I don’t feel like I’m there. But I feel like the characters are; they’re people in an intricately realized world with regional accents and decor and fashion, not a two-dimensional film set that falls apart if you peer behind the scenes.

I've mostly focused on Geralt, here, but dozens of other characters in the game have amazingly detailed outfits as well; they just don't benefit from changing clothes the way Geralt does. But look at this lady!

missing-image.svg

Now that's a dress. And look at this guy! Zoom in on that leather texture. Dang.

missing-image.svg

The Witcher 3’s clothing may have only played a small part in bringing that world to life, but it’s the ingredient that pushed me over the edge into adoration. I spent five hours upgrading the Wolf school gear, just so I’d have Geralt in the coolest armor I could for the game’s ending cutscenes. It was his big moment, after all. He’d want to be prepared.

And yeah, that one time I accidentally got drunk and had my armor stolen? You bet your ass I tracked down the thieves and got it back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom