Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Sentinel

Arcane
I have a pretty good ear for voices and accents, so I dunno. Not sure I buy it.

Also can't agree on the quality of the English voice actor in general. I think he's pretty bad. Or at least the choice he's making for the character is really cheesy. It's a mediocre Clint Eastwood impression.
That's exactly what they asked of him. CDPR wanted Geralt to sound "Clint Eastwood-esque".

nomask7

Arcane

Also can't agree on the quality of the English voice actor in general. I think he's pretty bad. Or at least the choice he's making for the character is really cheesy. It's a mediocre Clint Eastwood impression.

I was probably exaggerating to make a point. I've heard more interesting voice acting, in movies and outside of movies, but the point is it's characterful and you learn to associate it with Geralt, so when the change comes it's abrupt and pulls you out of the game.

Sentinel

Arcane
In the English version? I never noticed.

Yes, English version. It first happens in Skellige, like somewhere in the middle of doing that area if I recall right.

Maybe it's easier to notice if you use relatively expensive headphones and have a lot of experience with stuff like classical music and listening to things carefully, but it was very noticeable to me. The main voice actor for Geralt has a very characterful voice and is superb for the role in general. The replacement sounds flat and lame in comparison.

I've read they forgot to record some dialogs with the original voice actor so they had to use a replacement for parts of the game. I don't have a good source for this claim, but unless I was hallucinating - and other people seem to have commented on it too - then it's a real issue that they didn't fix for some reason, and I'll hate them forever for it.
I have no idea what you're talking about. It's the first time I'm hearing someone claiming they had 2 voice actors for Geralt.
The recording sessions took over 2 years to do. The actor has talked multiple times how CDPR asked him to go back and redo parts because they'd rewritten it. Maybe his voice was slightly different one day. They might have changed studios halfway through.
I've played through W3 4 times and I've never noticed anything with Geralt.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
I have no idea what you're talking about. It's the first time I'm hearing someone claiming they had 2 voice actors for Geralt.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71873308

The recording sessions took over 2 years to do. The actor has talked multiple times how CDPR asked him to go back and redo parts because they'd rewritten it. Maybe he his voice was slightly different one day. They might have changed studios halfway through.

Well, that's interesting. It could be I was hyper-sensitive to changes in the way he did some dialogs.

Sentinel

Arcane

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71873308

The recording sessions took over 2 years to do. The actor has talked multiple times how CDPR asked him to go back and redo parts because they'd rewritten it. Maybe he his voice was slightly different one day. They might have changed studios halfway through.

Well, that's interesting. It could be I was hyper-sensitive to changes in the way he did some dialogs.
Well, Echoes of the Past is a quest in Skellige. CDPR has talked about how they always design the last areas of their RPGs first in some panels in eastern europe. This is backed up by the fact that the first screenshots of the game as well as artwork released were of Skellige.
It's not far fetched to believe that the very first voice lines Doug Cockle recorded for the game were in Skellige, and thus, very early on.

Fry

Arcane

That's exactly what they asked of him. CDPR wanted Geralt to sound "Clint Eastwood-esque".

Silly decision, but they also went with Scottish dwarves, so...

Hopefully their voice acting ideas for CP2077 are less goofy.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Silly decision
No, I think it works on multiple levels. A witcher is a hardened wanderer, not unlike a cowboy. Some gruffness is to be expected - as is a bit of a monotone as Geralt constantly talks of the witcher mutations stripping emotions to a degree in the game. Plus a monotone helps players project their own identity onto the player character. I recall hearing that a more extreme example of this was in Deus Ex - where the voice actor was told to deadpan specifically for this reason.

I think people who want Geralt to sound different are either used to a non-english voice actor or else got a different idea for how he sounds based on the books etc.

Btw, this is how the guy sounds in real life:

So there is clearly a lot of range there and it's possible he may not have done the voice the same every single time.

OT: Just saw some of the Cave of Dreams quest on YouTube. Didn't know about it. It's insane that I've played through the game 2.5x and still haven't seen all the content.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
There are some lines (combat taunts, mostly) that Geralt says with a noticeably laid-back voice, and I think those were added with the expansions. It's the same voice actor, but it does sound out of place when it happens.

I think Doug Cockle does a great job, basically using a very limited range for the whole time but still managing to convey different emotions with ease. The superb facial animations surely help as well.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
GOTY is for everyone on GOG who already got game + expansions

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also there might be some problems when patching everything, GOTY is already latest version.

funkadelik

Arcane
So I bought the Witcher 3 GOTY on GOG (the upgrade, I got the original for free with my 980ti, I think), I also have Dark Souls 3. If I ain't a storyfag, but I do like a little more than just combat, would I be better off playing TW3 or DS3?

Shadenuat

Arcane
V3Auf7M.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Any builds that turn game into baby Dark Souls? Let's say I don't want to powergame the f out of this one, I was thinking about skills like reducing damage on dodge and adding damage on counter attacks, fast attacks, whirl, and skills that increase oils from alchemy because I want to be smart and prepare for combat n shit. And what helpers and derp compasses should I turn off right away?

Sentinel

Arcane
Turn off the option that lets you see collectibles on the mini/world-map. They're fucking worthless and completely ruin the game for a lot of people.

bonescraper

By collecibles he means points of interest. Meaning, all optional locations with loot, minor quests, mini-boss fights etc. The kind of stuff you should find on your own by exploration.

If you want something akin to Dark Souls lite, go for the sword tree i guess. Though before you get some more useful attacks (power attack and whirl), your experience will be rather dull. Be mindful though, that the game is fucking massive (with both expansions it's just goddamn gigantic), and most often you'll be just fighting trash mobs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom