Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
offtopic

While running around Skellige I always stumbled upon a melody that seemed very familiar.

Timestamp: 2.00-2.18

Timestamp: 9.00-9.27

/offtopic

Overall the game was great, 10/10 GOTY all years.

Hated the movement system though.

It is widely known that witcher used public music samples.

Compare Homm IV to Warlords Battlecry, you will hear the same.

You guys don't remember the European summer theme from Medieval: Total War?
Listen to the first minute:

Perkel

Arcane
The griffon fight was legit hard on Death March, I had to pussy out and lower difficulty, I'm sorry men.
I'm starting to like gwent a lot more now that I understand the subtleties behind it.

Also, now I'm Velen and the world looks legit HUGE. I think they nailed the war-devasted look of the area, good stuff.

Dude i am playing constantly on death march and legit have problem constantly but combat is hella gratifying. I will write longer piece in separate thread when i finish game. So far imo this is the biggest improvement over TW2 and this is especially important as game has some memorable fights.

Holy smokes, that talk with the Baron... and of course everything went over the SJW heads.

Just finished recently that quest line. One of the best quests i have seen in rpgs. Writting was simply superb.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Yeah the combat system isn't just a dumb button masher, even drowners can fuck you up quite easily.

imweasel

I'm level 11 now and really enjoying the game although it has its share of problems.

E.g. my bags are full of tons of shit because you can find everything in abbundance. Money also seems to be completely useless, I have 6000 gold and have hardly bought anything because there really is nothing to buy; I am still hoping that I finally run into a money sink. Most of the stuff you find or collect is pretty useless other than recipes, a few ingredients for crafting/alchemy, alcohol for refilling potions and maybe glyphs. You can either keep the endless amounts of shit in your bags or sell it for useless gold. In short: itemization is pretty bad and the economy is broken.

Alchemy system is easily the worst (and most useless) it has ever been.
Hmm, no. The alchemy system starts to become very useful at about level 6 to 8.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
If I'm not mistaken plants respawn after you collect them. That means a patient player can abuse it to his heart's content. This problem could be solved by the gothic 2 approach to plants. Make them rarer and increase the intervals they respawn.

made

Arcane
There's a few things like that in the big map. However even on the hardest difficulty, there's no enemy I can't kill if patient enough. I guess you could say the same of Gothic, too...

That being said, if you know a crazy monster is guarding something good, it's way easier to just run up to the chest, loot it, and then run away. This is one of the reasons I think handplaced monster loot and big kill XP chunks are a design RPGs should not be moving away from. Witcher 3 has this modern problem of tough monsters not dropping much loot/little XP, and instead guarding treasure, and it means you have little incentive to fight the monster.

Yeah I've spent some time in NML now and I see what you mean.
This seriously takes the piss: I get 45XP for killing the werewolf, which was actually bloody hard at the point when I did, while the retarded MMO-style goat fetch quest nets 100xp. Now quest design is overall pretty good so I hope that one is a funny reference for book readers or something. And yeah XP rewards are really out of whack.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If I'm not mistaken plants respawn after you collect them. That means a patient player can abuse it to his heart's content. This problem could be solved by the gothic 2 approach to plants. Make them rarer and increase the intervals they respawn.
I don't think anything respawned in Gothic 2.

Pegultagol

Erudite
A decade don't mean jack, but proud that this lurker have finally been discovered and labelled a bringer of decline and drew a clear rhine advocating for the game I haven't even bought yet.

I hear that the old GCN cards are fairly capable of running this game on high detail settings. Guess that DX11.2 support finally came in handy.

Last edited:
I just did the
Werewolf
quest in Velen and the ridiculously small xp reward kind of pissed me off. It was a pretty tough fight (did it at level 4)...

Beowulf

Arcane
Err, so how do you switch lock-on to other enemies? It was posted in this thread, but I can't seem to fin it.

Quatlo

Arcane
Baron is a fucking bro, completely relatable and likeable character. Guy has seen some shit during the wars so obviously he is damaged as fuck, I really like him.
:nocountryforshitposters:
You seriously didn't see a spark of a nice person destroyed by grimderp witcher world? Guy genuinely cares, at first I tought about him "Oh great, another generic cruel lord", but the little details like him wanting to wait with you for the child spirit redeem him for me.

Cromwell

Arcane
Baron is a fucking bro, completely relatable and likeable character. Guy has seen some shit during the wars so obviously he is damaged as fuck, I really like him.
:nocountryforshitposters:
You seriously didn't see a spark of a nice person destroyed by grimderp witcher world? Guy genuinely cares, at first I tought about him "Oh great, another generic cruel lord", but the little details like him wanting to wait with you for the child spirit redeem him for me.

Not only that but if you speak to him about his family he is very sad, he regrets everything that happened. Theres also more to the story which he doesnt talk about but theres a reason his wife can sent him into a fit of rage (dont know if thats explained later I did not finish the quest until now). He is definetly not the evil baron who just smacks his wife around and doesnt give a shit.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There was a chapter transition that repopulated the first map (with different enemies in a lot of cases), perhaps that brought back plants as well, do not recall.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just finished recently that quest line. One of the best quests i have seen in rpgs. Writting was simply superb.

Family Matters - fantastic quest. Probably one of the best I've ever played. It almost makes you think - how do future games even wanna compare to this? Especially the writing? I'm seriously impressed with this game so far.

I can be a gale, a gallop unchained.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was a chapter transition that repopulated the first map (with different enemies in a lot of cases), perhaps that brought back plants as well, do not recall.
Yes, every time you advanced to a new chapter there would be new spawns of monsters. I don't think it worked for plants. Certainly not the rarer ones in the wild (used for permanent stat boosts). Vendors would sometimes get new inventory, though, that included those plants.

Mortmal

Arcane

Family Matters - fantastic quest. Probably one of the best I've ever played. It almost makes you think - how do future games even wanna compare to this? Especially the writing? I'm seriously impressed with this game so far.

I can be a gale, a gallop unchained.
That's quite strange the more you get in the game the better it becomes. Could have expected the best part being at the beginning for mainstream reviewers, but no the quality keep cranking up.Thats one of the best game I ever played ,the story telling is not designed for dumb kwan teens, it completely , utterly,crush anything Bethesda or bioware ever did.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
holy shit, the baron quest, my jaw dropped, i understood the motivations of all the characters and i even got some really subtle backstory that really helped define my decisions. (the baron obviously having mental damage from his bloody life)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
holy shit, the baron quest, my jaw dropped, i understood the motivations of all the characters and i even got some really subtle backstory that really helped define my decisions. (the baron obviously having mental damage from his bloody life)

I'm not happy with Return to Crookback Bog outcome at the end :negative: but after looking back I'd probably do the same thing with the "Nightmare" I was secretly hoping that we could've rode it, even for a bit.
That's what I call some pro(s)per C&C

Dookins

Educated
Well, after years of lurking, this is the game that finally got me to register. Anyway, yeah, fuck the SJW complaints, that baron quest writing was incline all the way. Also, what the hell, Dandelion became Jack Sparrow between Witcher 2 and 3?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bros in the last 15 years this is the first time I'm thinking - here's a game that has a serious chance to wrestle the title Best Written Computer Gaem Evah from PST. I'm still just lvl 12 so I'm reserving my final judgement but if this game keeps the current pace it WILL happen.

You heard it here first. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom