Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
1 I don't know what the fuck are you talking about dude,if you like potatoes just say so.And the world is indeed filled with crap ,you just said yourself ''I actually like shit ton of garbage loot'' for no reason apparently.And what superior open world dude? There's no interactivity with the enviroment,just a static world with a buttload of hidden treasure on a 50 meter radius.Maybe you just played another game.

2.So you like garbage loot just because?Why would even bother to reply dude?

3.There were some videos with the devs telling people that The Witcher 3 is more accessible to the new comers than the first two games and that's just bullshit.You will get later into the game where you really need some serious background information or else you will realise that you will grow uninterested with the story.And why should they follow the books? The first two games stood up for their own,didn't need to follow the mediocre books.

You are newfag so i will explain you.

potato design for open world games means that open world looks like this :

Notice pattern ? Now try Skyrim and open your map. You will see that Skyrim map is literally potatoland where every new thing like dungeon, house, etc is near each other.

There is no actual exploration because if you will go into one direction you will find 2-3-4-5-6-7 place of interest regardless if you look at your way or not

TW3 on other hand handles open world in non potato design where you really need to explore to find something and more often than not it is better to stick to quest.

2. I like it because it is hell for OCD players and teaches them lesson that they should simply pick up things they find worthy and not some random bottle of nothing.

3. That is the problem for people who didn't read books. They are always at lost position. Be it TW1 TW2 or now TW3.
TW1 was the last part when they tried to introduce it to people who didn't read books. Witch TW2 they went full books lore straight from chapter one and whole point of TW2 ending was to acknowledge books and go for TW3 without constraining narrative or plot for people who didn't read books.

Like i said in earlier post for people who didn't read books there are absolutely ton of concepts missiong from their head which they will never understand.

For example if you don't care about reading books something which concerns Emhyr and Ciri

In books Emhyr aka Duny her father basically murdered her grandmother also killed his wife and her mother and almost killed her in massacre of Cintra, he chased her for whole time in books and he wanted her to be his wife (incest) so she could bore child with him so he could control Cintra

Now some players i saw in various forums think that father trying to find her using Geralt is ok.

How you would show that in game ? IT is impossible without mentioning from where ciri is, who was her mother etc which would at this point basically be book on its own. So players who didn't read books see here only father trying to find his daughter. Those who read books see completely different image and they wonder what to do.

Next one reinstalling lodge of sorceress. All of those characters are in books along with Keira Metz, Shilla, Triss, Philippa and so on. Ciri even mentions in story their previous doings in regards of her which naturally those who didn't read books can't know about.

Ultimately my point is that it is really good that they did not cheapen narrative to catter to new players. Characters done in this game are that good because exactly they have history which doesn't span this game but 3 games and 7 books.

So if you want actually to understand fully TW3 or even TW2 you need to read books.
And you should do it imo. They are 6-10 hours each and fairly well written. All now are in english be it official or unoficial translation (which is really good).

You can now even listen to really good acted audiobooks:
hure3r.jpg

As you can see,everything seems to be pretty close to one another,look at how many hidden treasures and relics you can find in a let's say 1-2 minutes of riding your horse.This feels so cheap and mmoish ,similar to Turdquision but better of course.The only items that deserves to explore for are the Griffin,Cat,Ursine armors,everything else is just garbage and makes the exploration pointless because you won't find shit beside more chests.
You are not rewarded for killing Leshens,Ice Giants,Griphins and most of the time they guard a chest full of garbage..so what's the point of making such a big world for a story driven game?

The games doesn't have any larger quests beside the contracts that are found in a village and the side-quests that derive from the main quests most of the time and that's why i think that the world feels dead.You won't find much exploring the world because it's just not worth it,for what ,for another chest filled with garbage or another corpse with another letter that tells me about another chest located at the bottom of sea?Funfuckingtastic i tell you.

Imagine if they hadn't made the world so big and pointless but rather a tighter experience,something like Gothic 1,2+ expansion or the first Risen.I still think open-world was a bad idea,because you can tell that the budget didn't let them to fill the world with that they wanted.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
While the gameplay might me so and so, atmosphere wise this game really hits the nail on the head. I don't think I ever seen so strong game in that department since Torment, original Fallouts, Arcanum or MOTB.
Fucking Baron
Fucking Johnny and the whole part with the witches.
Fucking Keira and that quest with the rat infested tower and the later parts of that quest
Fucking Priscilla (song was quite good and what a lovely voice)
Fucking Letho

Fuck.

Azarkon

Arcane
You are literally describing Potato design. Where open world is huge field of potatoes and each and every new things is in near viccinity.
For a while there I thought you were talking about Polish :retarded: people.

In any case, a couple of observations -

1. PoIs are also stuck together in Witcher 3, not just Skyrim. Necessarily so because players don't want to ride for 5-10 minutes from one PoI to the next. There are a lot of ?s that are next to each other when you open the Velen map. The distance between them isn't all that different from the distance between Skyrim PoIs. It only looks different on the map because you zoomed out of the Skyrim map.

witcher3_upgrade_diagrams1.jpg

2. The issue with trash loot is exacerbated in Witcher 3 because you don't actually know when they're going to be useful. You don't have every crafting recipe at the start of the game, so you end up feeling obligated to keep every piece of trash you find in case it's useful for a crafting recipe later on. This is made worse by the fact that you start with a carrying capacity of 60, which quickly runs out when you stack up on a few swords and armor pieces. To be fair, the game does allow you to increase this, and those who know to go for the racing quests asap are able to get their hands on 130 pretty fast. But it is annoying to new players who are immediately flooded with trash loots up the whazzoo. I blame the crafting system.

3. When the Witcher games were first released in English, the Witcher books weren't even translated in full. It's not a stretch to say that, for people outside of Poland, it was the games that got people reading, rather than the other way around. To this end, and given that Sapkowski has come out and said that he doesn't think much of the games, it is, in my opinion, a bad argument to say that people ought to have read the books before playing the game.

In fact, I consider that an excuse for shoddy background work. For example, you bring up Ciri's relationship with Emhyr being paramount to understanding character motivations. Allow me to ask you this - does it kill CDProjekt to reveal this info in a conversation early on? You were able to express this 'complex' relationship in two sentences, so I'm sure CDProjekt's writers have no issue doing the same in a few dialogue lines. Same for Geralt's relationship with Yennefer. I literally do not know why they didn't just recap their history in the opening scene.

It's completely achievable for a game to present the background story the player needs to know to understand character motivations, while leaving the details to the books.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I was annoyed by the Border Post location design. Couple of feet, battlefield full of corpse-eaters. You go the other way? Bandits... and they're holding a merchant FROM THE CAMP. You save him, he goes couple of steps and opens shop. :retarded:

The most dumbfuck moment? There's a witcher quest to find a patrol THAT WENT TO GET RID OF A MONSTER. The catch? IT'S A FUCK WAY. This place makes NO SENSE. What the fuck the army is doing?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are literally describing Potato design. Where open world is huge field of potatoes and each and every new things is in near viccinity.

1. PoIs are also stuck together in Witcher 3, not just Skyrim. Necessarily so because players don't want to ride for 5-10 minutes from one PoI to the next. There are a lot of ?s that are next to each other when you open the Velen map. The distance between them isn't all that different from the distance between Skyrim PoIs. It only looks different on the map because you zoomed out of the Skyrim map.
Umm, actually PoIs are nicely seperated from eachother, and you don't stumble into them one after the other. You can easily miss a lot if you don't have the ? marks on the map, unless you sistematically exploring every square meters on the map.

Azarkon

Arcane

Umm, actually PoIs are nicely seperated from eachother, and you don't stumble into them one after the other. You can easily miss a lot if you don't have the ? marks on the map, unless you sistematically exploring every square meters on the map.

But you do have the ?s on the map, and those who turn them off have to pretend they have a Fog of War because otherwise you don't even know which inch of the map you explored. That alone makes it obvious the game was designed with ?s in mind.

Ivan

Arcane
What's the option that enables/dsiables ? marks on the map?

I've somehow disabled it and finding the game much more enjoyable.

Perkel

Arcane
I was annoyed by the Border Post location design. Couple of feet, battlefield full of corpse-eaters. You go the other way? Bandits... and they're holding a merchant FROM THE CAMP. You save him, he goes couple of steps and opens shop. :retarded:

The most dumbfuck moment? There's a witcher quest to find a patrol THAT WENT TO GET RID OF A MONSTER. The catch? IT'S A FUCK WAY. This place makes NO SENSE. What the fuck the army is doing?

Yeah that was dumb.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

But you do have the ?s on the map, and those who turn them off have to pretend they have a Fog of War because otherwise you don't even know which inch of the map you explored. That alone makes it obvious the game was designed with ?s in mind.
Most of those ? come from a board notice,conversation,reading a book so it would be stupid to turn them off, otherwise i wouldn't explore that map even if you'd paid me.
Why can't more games follow the Gothic,Risen pattern,where every location or monster you found felt like a unique experience.New Vegas had a small map as well and it was a pretty good experience,no vast masses of land full of nothing to do but ride a horse like a retard..

Perkel

Arcane

This map for once doesn't look like potato skyrim map as you can see everything has actuall space between it.
Secondly ? markers most often are just some treasure chests or some random bandit camps or random buildings.
Where in case of skyrim:

5m away. Dwevemer dungeon
10m away. Cave
15m away. altar with enterence to hidden vampire place

and so on.

You can literally take screenshot and on one screenshot you can notice 4 different dungeons/caves near each other coupled with more things.

By comparison if you switch off Question marks in TW3 you have little chance to find them if you actually don't explore map.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What? One can turn off the ?s easily and play it that way. You don't have to pretend to have Fog of War, or do you think it is mandatory to explore every small bit of the map?

Perkel

Arcane
hure3r.jpg

As you can see,everything seems to be pretty close to one another

Do you see that city in right upper corner ? It is oxenfurt. Those icons on map have size of half of oxenfurt. Which basically means that being pretty close is rubbish statement. And half of those icons are random chests laying around.

If you would apply same type of map to skyrim skyrim wouldn't have map it would be icon upon icon.

Allow me to ask you this - does it kill CDProjekt to reveal this info in a conversation early on? You were able to express this 'complex' relationship in two sentences, so I'm sure CDProjekt's writers have no issue doing the same in a few dialogue lines.

Yeah surely 2 sentences would suffice to say about plot that was spanning whole saga.
Surely this wouldn't come out as lazy writting and actually would be memorable enough to register on player character compass.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane

What? One can turn off the ?s easily and play it that way. You don't have to pretend to have Fog of War, or do you think it is mandatory to explore every small bit of the map?

Fog of War allows you to keep track of what you actually explored, which is mandatory in a game with a large blank map where you have no way to draw what you explored yourself, and in which you're going to be playing across multiple play sessions.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Fog of War allows you to keep track of what you actually explored, which is mandatory in a game with a large map where you have no way to draw what you explored yourself, and in which you're going to be playing across multiple play sessions.
I understand the concept, I just don't think it is that important to explore every bit in this game, unless you have OCD. You miss something, so what, you will have something new at the next playthrough at least.

Azarkon

Arcane

Fog of War allows you to keep track of what you actually explored, which is mandatory in a game with a large map where you have no way to draw what you explored yourself, and in which you're going to be playing across multiple play sessions.
I understand the concept, I just don't think it is that important to explore every bit in this game, unless you have OCD. You miss something, so what, you will have something new at the next playthrough at least.

When you make an open world game you want players to explore the bulk of it. Otherwise what's the value of making an open world game? It's not about OCD, it's about getting your money's worth out of an open world.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
hure3r.jpg

As you can see,everything seems to be pretty close to one another

Do you see that city in right upper corner ? It is oxenfurt. Those icons on map have size of half of oxenfurt. Which basically means that being pretty close is rubbish statement. And half of those icons are random chests laying around.

If you would apply same type of map to skyrim skyrim wouldn't have map it would be icon upon icon.
Dude,i played the game and i know what i experienced during exploration,everything feels close and claustrophobic.Here you have a 20 level grave hag guarding a ''treasure my ass'' chest and 10 meters away from that you have a Golem guarding another garbage treasure chest.
And you can clearly see on the map that the majority of it is full of ''Good'' chests ''Relic'' chests and that's where the 120 hours of The Witchers goes into,chasing for treasure chests filled with garbage.The game is big,but bigger doesn't mean it's better.
And please stop being such a faggot and defend every flaw this game has..

Azarkon

Arcane
Yeah surely 2 sentences would suffice to say about plot that was spanning whole saga.
Surely this wouldn't come out as lazy writting and actually would be memorable enough to register on player character compass.

In this case, yes, two sentences suffice. How difficult is to explain that Ciri hates her father because he tried to incest her so as to ensure that his male line rules the world? And I'm not going to put that in spoilers because hey, everyone read the books, correct?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really liked the quest about the new Skellige king. Not as emotional as Family Matters or as imaginative as Ladies of the Wood but a fun ride and chock full of great characters.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
That Oxenfurt Drunk quest :retarded:. Level 26 my ass. Did at 19 and killed the fucker in a dozen hits. I'm also going to break this fucking controller if Geralt sheathes his sword one more time instead of drinking a potion.:argh:

Also did it at lvl 19.

Bonus: At the same level I had an epic fight with a lvl 28 Bilge Hag. Love this shit.

But then I could not kill an lvl 27 Earth Element cause of HP bloat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just one more thing: Leshen is probably my favourite "monster".

Their design is top-notch and fighting them is a pleasure: one transformed in crows, another one tried to catch me with roots. Simply awesome.

Another cool monster is the Chort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom