Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Ultra

Educated
I remember plenty from 2 but if there's anything from 1 referenced in 3 it's likely to fly over my head. Played 1 on release and now it's just a hazy slightly bad memory of herculean load times and endless running around a swamp with some tits and time travel, never did finish it, though I do recognise the blonde man at arms guy on the gwent card as Siegfreid!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I prefer Igni because it's great for crowd control, and it also deals damage and lowers armor.
You can find a use for every sign practically, so to each their own I guess.
Yes but this is the first Witcher game in which I felt compelled to use all the signs according to situation. In TW1 I only ever used Aard and Igni. In TW2 I really can't remember if I ever used something other than Quen. Here I already used all signs and the game did a good job in actually making me use all the signs, which is definitely an improvement.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Quen is probably my least used sign in this game. Used Yrden and Axii most of the time, started using Aard a lot after getting enhanced Feline set for instakills. Igni I use less, mostly for C&Cing groups and fun with dragons dream after get someone burning.

Perkel

Arcane

This is why i was talking about analogue movement vs keyboard and mouse

Game uses movement not camera to target people. Thanks to this you can do swings at tagets behind you without camera movement. With lack of analogue movement you have literally 4 directions of attacks north east west south where enemies can be have 360 degree from which they can attack you.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I got some warning like "WARNING: Make Manual Save now!"...Was sad because thought I had reached the endgame.

3 days later...still playing. :)

Zep--

Gerrard

Arcane

Game uses movement not camera to target people. Thanks to this you can do swings at tagets behind you without camera movement. With lack of analogue movement you have literally 4 directions of attacks north east west south where enemies can be have 360 degree from which they can attack you.

So according to that retard in the video you shouldn't be able to just mash some bandit to death as a witcher. Yeah, okay. Also he doesn't even know how to run while in combat.
It's a shame that he didn't die immediately after changing difficulty when he lost most of his health.

Gerrard

Arcane
I posted about the retarded AI of these drowners a week ago. Enemies also seem to have some MMO style leashing range, except, unlike in actual MMOs, they don't run back quickly (or regen health), which makes it possible to just stab them in the back.

I like how he also gets fucking wrecked when it actually comes to fighting.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
In this game there is no way to outsmart enemies. I just use different approaches for different enemy types. For example strong and slow enemies are mind controlled and then I spam three hit combos of strong attacks before rolling. Any other approach just doesn't work.
This gives the game a rock paper scissors encounter design. Not a bad thing for an action rpg but certainly not something to be amazed by. I could name other games in which the player has to actually outsmart the enemies but I would be straying off topic.

abija

Prophet

Bullshit, you can target without even touching the directions. And you have infinitely more precision than with the silly sticks.

Ivan

Arcane
Fuck, being underleveled SUCKS. You feel it most when fighting "bosses" and you do shit damage. GG come back later.

Perkel

Arcane
lol you can actually switch signs quickly apparently on pad. You need to hold L2 =block and use dpad left or right

Bullshit, you can target without even touching the directions. And you have infinitely more precision than with the silly sticks.

Yes you can but movement of character overrules camera targeting thus creating problems mentioned in video which i commented and exactly the same reason why you can fight and target people outside of your camera range of view.

Still i would prefer keyboard to fireup spells instead of quick menu.

hiver made this just for you, Perkel

Nothing new. Drowners seems to have some range that they won't go outside. Aside from drowners i think water hags also has something like this in place.
That range is bugged for rivers but it is much greater for swamps and so on.
Wolves on other hand don't mind to hunt you down a lot same as harpies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
hiver made this just for you, Perkel

This is funny and all, and it shows the problems with the AI, but I don't get why would someone play like this. Like with any other game, exploiting glitches all the time is boring. Do I want to play a game as it supposed to, or not? If yes, they I play it, not messing around for 5 minutes , when I could kill those fuckers in 1 minute.

It's like people are whining for challange in games, and if they get it, they pussy out with using some glitch instead of facing the combat. (I'm not refering to the video, just in generally using glitches for solving combat)

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

This game is so tedious and underwhelming, I care so little for the main quest even though its relatively well done. There's just too much shit that drags the game down for me

Ivan

Arcane
In spite of the game keeping you on a leash (you do shit damage against higher lvd enemies), the tone and atomsphere and fucking top notch.

made

Arcane
http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/28/8676645/witcher-3-bug-kills-experience-for-quests-devs-on-the-case

FUUUUU that's why I'm getting no damn experience. I just finished the whole main quest chain with Yen and was hoping for like 1000 xp...and zilch! Mangh, I want my 1000 xp back.
Well damn, here I thought that's intentional to keep XP in check because the questline in Novigrad just has you running from cutscene to cutscene.

As awesome as the rest of Velen was, the city was a massive let-down.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As awesome as the rest of Velen was, the city was a massive let-down.

Meh, I wouldn't say massive letdown. But it's a huge shift in gameplay and ambience. From a open world RPG to basically a Telltale-style adventure game. For anyone not playing yet I'd advise to alternate between Velen and Novigrad quests. Go do the Triss quest right after hitting lvl 10 and then change the scenery regularly. Doing all the Novigrad quests in one bulk tend to be tedious.

City itself is absolutely stunning tho and most of the quests are entertaining enough. Even the dumb Carnal Sins is fun. Only thing I couldn't fucking stand was the Dandelion quest chain.

Is anyone enjoying the Ciri segments?

Kindda. Mainly because Ciri must be the best crafted female character in all vidyagaimz ever. This gal just oozes something...regal charisma I'd say.

And her sauna segment on Skellige is vewy vewy nice :D

Last edited:

M0RBUS

Augur
Very edgy and very retarded. Every single side quest I've had WAS interesting in some way.
Challange accepted.

Tells you more about the lore
aka "the gameplay has no correlation whatsoever with the dialog"

about the world
aka "combat".

makes you make moral decisions
aka "not the same as unique at all"

puts you against some unique monsters
aka "fights with buffed versions of the same old monsters you've been fighting all this time"

helps you to explore new areas
aka "fetch quests"

I'm sorry, I had to. Your posts provides no content or argument at all in regards to what was
meanwhileInPoland's complaint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom