Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Gerrard

Arcane
What makes you think that Fallout 4 will be anything else than Skyrim with guns?
I don't get why big-budget AAA companies even bother to localize to Japan. The copies sold are so low it seems like it must barely recoup the costs of translation.
You think it sold more in Spain?

Zeriel

Arcane
So I'm talking to some reviewer who gave the game 9/10 and only listed as flaws stuff like "text is too small". I bring this up, how it's weird that this is the biggest flaw he can find in the game. What about the gameplay? He replies with references to the graphics, the storyline, et cetera. I press him on the topic, and he just keeps talking about production quality stuff, being immersed in the world, and so on and so forth. And then I realize to this guy there is no distinction between the cinematic experience, the storyline, the ambience, and the gameplay. It's all the same thing. There is no "gameplay", there is just the game. I really wish I could experience any game like that. It would make most modern games a lot more palatable. Hell, I might even consider them 9/10's instead of 7/10's.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
So I'm talking to some reviewer who gave the game 9/10 and only listed as flaws stuff like "text is too small". I bring this up, how it's weird that this is the biggest flaw he can find in the game. What about the gameplay? He replies with references to the graphics, the storyline, et cetera. I press him on the topic, and he just keeps talking about production quality stuff, being immersed in the world, and so on and so forth. And then I realize to this guy there is no distinction between the cinematic experience, the storyline, the ambience, and the gameplay. It's all the same thing. There is no "gameplay", there is just the game. I really wish I could experience any game like that. It would make most modern games a lot more palatable. Hell, I might even consider them 9/10's instead of 7/10's.
And you are surprised? We are living in times where shit like "Gone Home" is hailed as an instant classic due to its groundbreaking theme,story and narration:lol: what about gameplay? what fucking gameplay:lol: retards buying AAA shit dont care about gameplay(excluding dudebros playing CoD) they care about their fucking cinematic experience and great story:lol: Wonder why mediocrity like "the last of us" is hailed by mainstream faggs like Neogaf/Reddit etc. as best story in video games ever? Its the same fucking generation that played ff7 and wept when aeris died :lol: worst kind of storyfags:flamesaw:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really wish I could experience any game like that. It would make most modern games a lot more palatable.
Well, just beat your head a few times with a concrete slab until lasting brain damage is done and you will experience AAA games like that.

Ivan

Arcane
What I would have liked:

lose the levels and just have fixed stats for creatures, give prefixes to them and establish a hierarchy for each creature. as it is, it's stupid that I can go toe to toe with wolves in White Orchard but fuck me I better not in the next area. also, the game could warn you about entering a dangerous area (signposts, corpses) but as it is it's just dumb how erratic the lay of the land is with regard to the enemy scaling.

I guess it were more STALKERish in that, if you have the right tools, you can take on any fight, and not have to give a fuck about a creature that outlevels you so much that it will take 8 min of tactful dodging and attacking to take off 10% of its health.

MODS WILL FIX IT

SumDrunkGuy

The enemy AI is titty fucking amazing!

Difficulty is set at Blood and Broken Bones. Managed to take the whole fort with my level 4 Geralt XD.

Exploiting an AI bug, how original. Because other games have no AI bug.

Bug? That aint no fucking bug. The AI is literally just that bad. I catch them doing this stupid shit all of the time. But sure lets just make up excuses for shitty programming. Fucking brilliant idea. "AI going full retard you say? Well fuck you buddy, it's all your fault for playing the game wrong!"

You're an idiot.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The enemy AI is titty fucking amazing!

Difficulty is set at Blood and Broken Bones. Managed to take the whole fort with my level 4 Geralt XD.

Exploiting an AI bug, how original. Because other games have no AI bug.

Bug? That aint no fucking bug. The AI is literally just that bad. I catch them doing this stupid shit all of the time. But sure lets just make up excuses for shitty game design. Fucking brilliant idea. "AI going full retard you say? Well fuck you buddy, it's all your fault for playing the game wrong!"

You're a fuckin idiot.

Doesn't matter if it is a bug or design. My point was that standing at a safe spot and killing baddies from there is lame and I don't see the point. If someone don't want to bother with the combat and has to resort to these cheap tricks, then just play the game on the easiest difficulty to breeze through the combat.

On another note, could someone enlighten me what are those little red triangles on the minimap? I thought they are some kind of indicator for enemies, but when I go there, there isn't anything here, or the triangles just disappear.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuckin hell. The fights with several wraiths at once are tough as hell. And those where you gotta fight several groups of them in a row without rest is absolutely brual on deathmarch. These are the only instances I just had to lower the difficulty
What really irritated me yesterday was fighting the Cock-a-trice on Hard (as in difficulty level). Thing moves as fast as you move when on the ground, and can take you down in 3-4 hits max, while you have to chip away at its health even when using all the possible oils/bombs/potions. In the end I switched to easy difficulty which both gives enemies a handicap in DPS and you a bonus in DPS.

Also the Bestiary entry was wrong about it being most vulnerable to the 'telekinetic blast' sign. Igni had the best effect on it because it stuns it while taking away health. I wonder if the Bestiary is similarly wrong about other monsters too. Probably so.

Beowulf

Arcane
The bestiary is somewhat right. It just doesn't tell you that in it's entry it really means, that by using Aard sign you can stun it in the air and force to land and fight on the ground. But at the same time you can do it with your crossbow.
Hence the recommendation of 'telekinetic blast' sign.

Ultra

Educated
On another note, could someone enlighten me what are those little red triangles on the minimap? I thought they are some kind of indicator for enemies, but when I go there, there isn't anything here, or the triangles just disappear.

It's a little height indicator, they disappear when you are no longer above or below whatever it's marking (plant, enemy, quest mark etc)

SumDrunkGuy

Doesn't matter if it is a bug or design. My point was that standing at a safe spot and killing baddies from there is lame and I don't see the point. If someone don't want to bother with the combat and has to resort to these cheap tricks, then just play the game on the easiest difficulty to breeze through the combat.

Where was any of this in the second video? I'm standing right in front of the mother fucker in a fairly open space while popping him with a weak ass cross bow. There's no objects between us, nothing preventing that level 9 enemy from walking over there and comitting brutal sex crimes on my level 4 Geralt.

Who needs safe spots and cheap tricks when the enemy AI is lacking incredibly basic behavoral patterns such as "don't stand in place while getting fucking shot to death".

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Where was any of this in the second video? I'm standing right in front of the mother fucker in a fairly open space while popping him with a weak ass cross bow. There's no objects between us, nothing preventing that level 9 enemy from walking over there and comitting brutal sex crimes on my level 4 Geralt.

Who needs safe spots and cheap tricks when the enemy AI is lacking incredibly basic behavoral patterns such as "don't stand in place while getting fucking shot to death".
I know there are AI defficiencies right? But you are still abusing it and spend a minute to kill that weak enemy instead of fighting it and killing it in 10 seconds. If you don't like to fight, then as I said, play on easy.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Is there any reason the quite awkward already name 'Roach' of the horse is translated into 'Plötze'? It sounds like something hiver would love to put into his vocabulary amidst the shit slurping. I hope there isn't more of this, as I quite enjoy the german voice for Geralt.

It's also a name for a fish.:eek:

Beowulf

Arcane
Is there any reason the quite awkward already name 'Roach' of the horse is translated into 'Plötze'? It sounds like something hiver would love to put into his vocabulary amidst the shit slurping. I hope there isn't more of this, as I quite enjoy the german voice for Geralt.

It's also a name for a fish.:eek:

"Plötze" is a direct translation of the horse's name from the books - "Płotka", which is used in Polish version as well.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotauge It's also called "Roach" in kwanzaspeak, and the wikipedia link warns you about not mixing it up with cockroach.

Edit: made beat me to it. All of his horses had the same name.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ah thank you! I was actually planning to read the books bit didnt know with which to begin - should have done that beforehand.

I kinda like the name in an awkward way!

Beowulf

Arcane
[...] I was actually planning to read the books bit didnt know with which to begin - should have done that beforehand. [...]

I've read it in my late teens, so my opinion might be somewhat prone to nostalgia, but the short stories are great. The Wither Saga took a nosedive in quality for me and after the second book reads more like a road trip novella with clueless protagonist and occasional deus ex machina. But there is a whole bunch of people who seem to like them very much, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I haven't read any translations, but despite the story shortcomings Sapkowski is actually pretty good writer with a knack for witty, but not over the top, language (especially in dialogues).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm not sure how this may be related but 'Płotka' in polish also carries the connotation of 'insignificant'.

Gerrard

Arcane
They should make all enemies teleport behind you if they can't reach you for 3 seconds. Would shut some dumbfucks up. Also they should all move faster than you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom