Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Ivan

Arcane
Question about dodging:

Is it like Dark Souls where you dodge just before the attack lands (inv frames), or before the enemy swings?

I tried it with the Golem but wasn't sure which was working.

SoupNazi

Does it get better? I mean, I'm at the Inn and the game is incredibly boring. Takes fucking ages for Geralt to talk whenever I choose a dialogue option, too. Found myself skipping through everything and just turning on the quest markers so I don't have to listen.

I guess this is still the "tutorial" area, but if it doesn't get better, I might as well not punish myself with more.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does it get better? I mean, I'm at the Inn and the game is incredibly boring. Takes fucking ages for Geralt to talk whenever I choose a dialogue option, too. Found myself skipping through everything and just turning on the quest markers so I don't have to listen.

Bro, this game is NOT for you.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
You dodge before the attack lands, you can even cancel your own attack animation to perform a dodge or a roll( I prefer rolls, they are not as efficient but they are a lot more spectacular).

SoupNazi

Thanks. I honestly hoped I would like it but I guess not.

Perkel

Arcane

Thanks. I honestly hoped I would like it but I guess not.

What you are looking is probably Lineage, Words of Warcraft or other crap like that.

made

Arcane
I love the Ladies of the Forest's theme, it's grate.
It's a remake of one of Percival's old songs. The collaboration really paid off imo. The soundtrack is stellar and contributes a lot to the game's atmosphere.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Finished the game and...

all this elder blood shit is getting on my nerves. Too much cosmic potentiality, too much power. I like Ciri, I like Geralt, but once it's revealed that the wild hunt are just a bunch of elves, who live in normal cities... I don't know, sort of defeats their point and their aesthetic. Also...

...I actually think CD Project Red IMPROVED the story by not having the crazy bullshit that's in the novels.

Gerrard

Arcane
Finished the game and...

all this elder blood shit is getting on my nerves. Too much cosmic potentiality, too much power. I like Ciri, I like Geralt, but once it's revealed that the wild hunt are just a bunch of elves, who live in normal cities... I don't know, sort of defeats their point and their aesthetic. Also...

...I actually think CD Project Red IMPROVED the story by not having the crazy bullshit that's in the novels.
:hmmm: :nocountryforshitposters:

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Finished the game and...

I actually don't know what your answer is supposed to mean

Gerrard

Arcane
Tell me what crazy bullshit from the books you're talking about, because as far as I've seen it's all here.

Morkar Left

Finished the game and...

Does that mean that the game replaces some parts of the books? And if yes, which books should I skip?

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Tell me what crazy bullshit from the books you're talking about, because as far as I've seen it's all here.

Ciri joining Camelot. I mean, I haven't read the books, I just read a lot of the lore after I beat the game, and it seems to me the books are whacky. But more importantly, the story is partly about Ciri from the get go, while the witcher games are mostly about Geralt. I think this shift of perspective is key to what makes the games story work, since when Ciri's backstory is explained in them, it becomes, at least for me, a diminished tale.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Also, THROUGHOUT the game I thought the Wild Hunt were just Wraith dudes. A common trope, but done in a nice manner. When they were revealed to be elves, I thoguth: "OK, that's strange, but it's also a twist. Maybe they're evil wraith elves from a world of ice and snow?" And then when you see their normal medieval city, i just went, "wow, that's a bit dumb." Then I read all book synopsis... And that's where you get my comment.

Even CDPR knows the character system is just a pointless afterthought to this adventure game. :metro: :troll:

The scary thing is you might actually be right. First I hear that you'll likely miss quests that get cancelled if you advance the main quest to far then I hear that to prevent overleveling from side quests gray quests aren't supposed to give you xp? One of the reasons POE was mediocre after I finished it was that the last 10 or so hours of the game made xp and money pointless. They might as well have just put an autoplay button and turned the game into an interactive movie.

I"m starting to suspect that this really is an adventure game that should have replaced combat with QTE. The combat in TW2 was barely serviceable and now this open world approach has left level progression, skills, and combat to the wayside.

For Christ's sake they responded to the XP bug like it was a minor inconvenience. They literally expect the only reward for doing quests should be the story. To hell with Cyberpunk 20whatever CDPR should sink their proceeds into the moviegasm of a Witcher trilogy and fulfill their dreams already. This game has an identity crisis because the developers don't actually appreciate RPG gaming whatsoever. They like adventure games; and I really should have been suspicious since the first installment because combat has always been the most poorly developed piece.

The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt Open Adventure Game

Dookins

Educated
Yup, as much as I might like the game, it's cut from the same cloth as the recent Batman games. Hell, the only real differences are that there's swappable gear and dialogue options.

Ivan

Arcane
At the Red Baron but think Ima have to put this shit on hold. My 670 is crapping out on me and having foliage distance on LOW sucks.

Gerrard

Arcane
See that mountain?

9SkHSiK.jpg

You can't climb it, because we've put fucking invisible walls and slopes that force sliding everywhere. Fuck you.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
See that mountain?

9SkHSiK.jpg

You can't climb it, because we've put fucking invisible walls and slopes that force sliding everywhere. Fuck you.

If you explore more you find out that there's another way to it. It's just the last leg goes through a tunnel behind a locked door. I suppose it's a main story location and we'll get there somewhere at the end.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love the Ladies of the Forest's theme, it's grate.
It's a remake of one of Percival's old songs.

What? Where? How? Link?

EDIT: nvm found it

Why the fuck have they even remade the Percival songs? All of them are fucking genius level perfect. Imagine them as the actual soundtrack to the game. Such atmosphere wow.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom