Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Thought I'd be able to fuck Rosa var Attre, fuck you CD Project.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Thought I'd be able to fuck Rosa var Attre, fuck you CD Project.
I thought i could fuck Crach daugther but no dice,she even had some smexy lines toward Geralt but no go...What the hell happened? In Witcher 1 you could fuck everything that moved,no monster,no witch or peasant dared to get past Geralt without getting ploughed.

This was a big :killit:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I thought i could fuck Crach daugther but no dice,she even had some smexy lines toward Geralt but no go...What the hell happened?
Adam Kicinski said in an interview. "We broke into the mainstream. It is such a moment in our firm's history that after some years people will look differently at CD Projekt before and after this release."

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I thought i could fuck Crach daugther but no dice,she even had some smexy lines toward Geralt but no go...What the hell happened?
Adam Kicinski said in an interview. "We broke into the mainstream. It is such a moment in our firm's history that after some years people will look differently at CD Projekt before and after this release."
I thought sex is mainstream and not something to scorn at,just look at Turdquisition ,you had gays,bulls,goats,lesbians,dragg queens and it was praised for it.They should have brought back the sex card collection,always thought fucking women should be like collecting baseball cards.The Witcher 1 won in this department by hundred of miles:bounce:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Disclaimer: I will refer to Dark Souls in this post as I have played it alot, and it has some similarities to Witcher 3 combat.

So do higher difficulties in this game just mean 'spend twice or more as long in combat and abuse Quen sign'?

Doing some research on the net, watching people playing on Death March, the only strategy seems to be, particularly in boss fights: cast Quen, hit boss, lose shield, jump around till you can cast Quen again, hit boss, lose shield, jump around till you can cast Quen again, etc etc ad infinitum... until boss is dead. From what I can see some of these guys are not even timing attacks/dodging, its just cast shield, wack monster, run away. If they tried to play like this in a different game (like Dark Souls) they would be dead, over and over and over... The whole point of these games is timing attacks and dodging, and learning enemy patterns.

I am really wondering whether higher difficulty levels in this game are actually more 'interesting' or 'fun' or 'tactical'. As I consider myself a 'proper' gamer I have been trying to play on Blood/Bones difficulty but it mostly ends up feeling like tedious and drawn out combats (and not in a good Dark Souls way), where I am just punished by not using Quen constantly, as I really prefer to use the other signs. Im finding I keep reverting back to the normal difficulty as higher just feels like a chore. And I am a huge fan of 'grindy' combat in the Dark Souls fashion... This is honestly confusing the hell out of me, as I keep thinking I should be enjoying the harder difficulty.

If we consider Dark Souls as an example of a 'good' and challenging action/rpg combat system, how would it be if it had an infinite, spammable, invulnerability shield?

I would like to see Witcher 3 without the Quen sign, and then see how people manage higher difficulty levels.

If you have the game, why not try the highest difficulty yourself instead of wasting time with videos and shit?

Yes, Quen is the only worthwhile sign, that's one of the biggest weaknesses of the combat. But I'm sure it'll be patched/rebalanced down the line. It was the same with W2.

I enjoy the highest difficulty level because I feel like I can actually die. The AI is also considerably more aggressive, especially in group fights, which are more often than not a clusterfuck (and Quen doesn't do shit when you're surrounded by 15 Nekkers).

Zeriel

Arcane
Fuckin hell. The fights with several wraiths at once are tough as hell. And those where you gotta fight several groups of them in a row without rest is absolutely brual on deathmarch. These are the only instances I just had to lower the difficulty - in the scene with the Baron and the botchling and in the Penitent quest. I simply can't reload battles 20 times or more.

FUUUUUU.

It's all telegraphed man. The only time wraiths are dangerous is when they disappear and reappear. You can fast attack stagger stun them until they do that, then you wait for them to reappear and instantly dodge away, you'll never take any damage if you start dodging the moment their glow graphic appears, and then you simply fast attack stagger them again. I find wraiths one of the easiest enemies on Death March because they are one of the few that don't attack out of staggers, unlike drowners and a lot of monsters. The same principle applies to every enemy, by the way, some just have more patterns, or patterns that are more annoying.

Special wraiths (noonwraiths/nightwraiths/pesta/etc, the ones that disappear and use illusions) are even easier because if you toggle their "can't use ability" mode with moon dust bombs they barely retaliate at all, and basically let you almost kill them in one long attack chain.

If you have the game, why not try the highest difficulty yourself instead of wasting time with videos and shit?

Yes, Quen is the only worthwhile sign, that's one of the biggest weaknesses of the combat. But I'm sure it'll be patched/rebalanced down the line. It was the same with W2.

I enjoy the highest difficulty level because I feel like I can actually die. The AI is also considerably more aggressive, especially in group fights, which are more often than not a clusterfuck (and Quen doesn't do shit when you're surrounded by 15 Nekkers).

To be fair, that never really changed much even after patches, Quen remains really, really powerful in patched W2, it's just that it isn't necessary after a certain point because the character tree actually has powerful bonuses. I also enjoy Death March the most, but I say that as someone who hasn't really tried the lower difficulties. I don't find the combat very enjoyable, but it seems like it would be even less enjoyable if it provided even less of a challenge/obstacles.

abija

Prophet
I also enjoy Death March the most, but I say that as someone who hasn't really tried the lower difficulties. I don't find the combat very enjoyable, but it seems like it would be even less enjoyable if it provided even less of a challenge/obstacles.
Kinda wierd logic when you don't enjoy the combat. You either like the rest of the game and reduce combat to a minimum or you just stop playing the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
I also enjoy Death March the most, but I say that as someone who hasn't really tried the lower difficulties. I don't find the combat very enjoyable, but it seems like it would be even less enjoyable if it provided even less of a challenge/obstacles.
Kinda wierd logic when you don't enjoy the combat. You either like the rest of the game and reduce combat to a minimum or you just stop playing the game.

If bad combat stopped me from playing, I wouldn't be able to play almost any RPGs.

made

Arcane
Yes, Quen is the only worthwhile sign
Except for Igni that stuns and burns enemies for a % of their hp, and Axii than can keep mobs perma CCd, and Aard that lets you one-shot even bosses...
I don't even use the normal Quen anymore, prefer the alt attack to keep my hp topped off so I don't have to constantly regen with food after fights. Though I guess that's also because I've outlvld the main story line so fights are noticeably easier than they used to be.

When you make an open world game you want players to explore the bulk of it. Otherwise what's the value of making an open world game? It's not about OCD, it's about getting your money's worth out of an open world.
You can't call it exploration when you're combing the map like a mindless machine to make sure you get the 100% completion achievement. You can still see where you've already been on the map because signposts and POIs only appear when you've been in their general vicinity.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since I got this with my gfx card, I started downloading it from GOG and I saw that it already includes 3 mini-DLC: Temerian armor, beard hairstyle set and alt Yennefer look. Any thoughts about this shit? Is the armor gamebreaking, does Yennefer have bigger boobs or what.

Also, has anyone used any of the sweetfx presets for making the game look more like the E3 version?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Since I got this with my gfx card, I started downloading it from GOG and I saw that it already includes 3 mini-DLC: Temerian armor, beard hairstyle set and alt Yennefer look. Any thoughts about this shit? Is the armor gamebreaking, does Yennefer have bigger boobs or what.

Also, has anyone used any of the sweetfx presets for making the game look more like the E3 version?

Armor is only good for a couple of levels nad mainly for the looks. Yennefer gets naked shoulders and feathers.
:love:

Ultra

Educated
Quen is shit compare to alternate Yrden. I respecced and put all my quen points in to yrden and you can just place a little trap that sits on the ground and zaps any body that comes near you, it does good damage and most importantly it staggers enemies. You can also place a normal circle trap around it so that now they're getting electrified, staggered, damaged and slowed while you stand around picking your nose. This is on death march.

For all the senseless looting in this game Im forced to buy the alcohol for making whitegull...wtf.

Not that money is even a problem in this game. Ive slowly amassed a king's ransom with nary a thought as to how to spend it. Yet I hear that there are individuals who are actually broke?

Zeriel

Arcane
For all the senseless looting in this game Im forced to buy the alcohol for making whitegull...wtf.

Not that money is even a problem in this game. Ive slowly amassed a king's ransom with nary a thought as to how to spend it. Yet I hear that there are individuals who are actually broke?

Casuals always find a way.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I'm pretty broke, yeah. I pretty much have to sell all kinds of shit from time to time.

But there's alcohol EVERYWHERE, men.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
It's weird. One says Quen is the only worthwhile sign, the next one says Yrden is overpowered because of the alternate version which slows enemies, zaps them with damage and pushes them back (! roflcopter). I say Igni is great due to the alternate version which deals large damage and burns (panics) the victim making him unable to act. Then I always use Axii on humanoids to stun them and get an immediate finisher. Aard also knocks down so you might get an instakill. So, are the signs useless or overpowered, I really don't know what to believe anymore.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Yeah, i'm an Axii/Igni guy.

Axii is great when used right. Stun the guy, get behind for guaranteed crit, and mash heavy attacks. And igni is just quite versatile.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I prefer Igni because it's great for crowd control, and it also deals damage and lowers armor.
You can find a use for every sign practically, so to each their own I guess.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Spoil me if Vernon Roche appears somewhere. I think I at least recognised the same voice actor somewhere.

Yes
he surfaces on a main quest and have side quest(s) on his own
Turned out I was just one mission before
that spy in Novigrad mentioned him. And Ves too is here :love:.
Poor (console)fags who started the series with this. So much references to previous games in characters, places and just item names only which bring joy to my face with just seeing them.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Spoil me if Vernon Roche appears somewhere. I think I at least recognised the same voice actor somewhere.

Yes
he surfaces on a main quest and have side quest(s) on his own
Turned out I was just one mission before
that spy in Novigrad mentioned him. And Ves too is here :love:.
Poor (console)fags who started the series with this. So much references to previous games in characters, places and just item names only which bring joy to my face with just seeing them.

Just wait for the great spy trio and their masterplan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom