Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Sirens are really annoying. They like cliff racers, if cliff racers could lock you into combat mode and make you unable to navigate anything that isn't flat terrain.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Sirens are fun, they destroyed my boat and I had to swim until the ice giant island. Made me want an auto run key like in Elder Scrolls.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The best way to deal with the neo-cliff racers is to jump into water as soon as they rush towards you. This way, they don't try to damage your boat and fighting them underwater is actually very easy & fast.

I've had one awesome fight with them, though, was pretty atmospheric - iirc, I was climbing on some mountain in search of the ursine diagrams and the whole slew of them attacked me while I was standing on some rather narrow cliff. So I had no space to maneuver while attacking them and had to be really careful so their blows wouldn't push me down to a certain death. Of course, you can attribute that to merely combination of shit camera & weird combat animation, but that was still pretty fun.

And I must say that while this game is pretty much an interactive movie (at least towards the end - the start and the middle can be gamey), the point here is that the movie part is pretty good and atmospheric. And the writing is really sturdy (whereas in biowarian games it was just, erm, turdy). That makes a world of difference. Wish there was less politics/adventures and more horror/otherworldly stuff, though, like all that's related to the crones or the Avallach quest - easily two best parts of the game.

Malpercio

Arcane
Getting to the second area I started to see the problem with the encounter design people were discussing pages ago, it certantly feels almost like level scaling.

More I play, more I wish this game wasn't open world. Leaving aside I foresee It'll take me 6 months to finish it, it's obvious a lot of *great* care went into crafting the enviroment, but fuck, all I can think is "so much wasted space". Image the game with a setting similar to Gothic 2 instead of this "We wanted the Skyrim audience!!!!! OVER 999999 BILLIONS OF EXPLORABLE TERRAIN!!!"

I'm also starting to get DA:I flashbacks in some parts, mainly the bandits avamposts here and there.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
At what point in the story do I see the part with those 3 witches drinking blood from that 'stew' pot, like it was seen in the trailers? I am off to Skellige now but havent seen it yet.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Skellige part of main quest needed collargrab interrupts for every time Yennefer is about to do something retarded and tells Geralt to stop worrying his pretty little head about the dumbfuckery she's planning.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Skellige part of main quest needed collargrab interrupts for every time Yennefer is about to do something retarded and tells Geralt to stop worrying his pretty little head about the dumbfuckery she's planning.

:lol: That bitch is beyond help.
No amount of canon is gonna convince me to like her.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I don't mind the whole "arrogant ice queen" schtick on principle. But she keeps pulling it 5 minutes after her last scheme backfired. You'd think after she made half of Skellige hate her she'd stop and consider her options before pissing off the second half.

And the cherry on top? After dismissing Geralt every time he tries to appeal to common sense and getting told she'll never be welcome again, she launches into a "their opinion doesn't matter to me. Only yours does <3" speech. Bitch, my opinion of you is pretty low as well. But Geralt is not allowed to say that. He falls in line behind her like a beaten dog afraid of the newspaper.

Omega turbowitcher showcase.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Later in the the game you get to see the cauldron scene if you accept a mission.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And the cherry on top? After dismissing Geralt every time he tries to appeal to common sense and getting told she'll never be welcome again, she launches into a "their opinion doesn't matter to me. Only yours does <3" speech. Bitch, my opinion of you is pretty low as well. But Geralt is not allowed to say that. He falls in line behind her like a beaten dog afraid of the newspaper.

It is backed up by the lore somewhat tho. Those two are bound together by a positive curse or something and there's an optional quest where you could dispel it. After that you can either tell her you still love her even without the curse or to fuck off. Personally, I sent her packing.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nice. Will have to keep an eye out for that quest then. If only we had an option to deliver her to Radovid.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Geralt of Rivia: Legendary Witcher, Idiot, Occasionally In Control of His Body

Geralt of Rivia is a formidable opponent. His lithe body has been enhanced by mutagens, granting him uncanny powers and senses. Make the mistake of challenging him to a fight and you'll soon find yourself overwhelmed by a flurry of blades, magic, bombs, potions, and crossbow bolts.

Also, Geralt breaks his ankles when he steps down from a height of more than three inches. If he were to hop over a waist-high fence his body would reach terminal velocity, exploding into paste and white stubble when it came into contact with the soft grass on the other side.

He moves like a toddler learning to walk. Geralt goes from a trudging stroll to a full-on sprint without any transition at all. When he tries to loot a container he often misses and mistakenly interacts with a nearby candle. In combat he doesn't have precise control over his body, just vague suggestions of direction. It's like there's a panning camera beyond his control, and his movements are sort of relative to the position of that camera, but not quite. Geralt never knows when his attack will be an overhand slash, or a dash forward, or a lunge, or how far he will move during that attack, or whether he will hit the enemy he is facing, or whether he will perform a dazzlingly useless pirouette.

witcher.png

Geralt of Rivia is far too cool to waste his time on dumb shit. He shakes his head and sighs as quest givers go off on narrow-minded, superstitious tangents. He is constantly having casual sex with powerful and interesting sorceresses who use magic to make themselves unnaturally attractive. They see him as a fun diversion, as he is worldly and rugged and amusing.

Also, Geralt is obsessed with a collectible card game called Gwent. Sometimes after a grueling quest he will stand amidst a pile of corpses and reorganize his army's cards. He is driven by a compulsion to collect all the rare cards. A "hullo" will barely leave a merchant's mouth before Geralt - shifting impatiently from one foot to the other - blurts out "Wanna play Gwent?"

witcher.png

Geralt of Rivia is a master negotiator. He influences kings, trades quips with scholars and assassins, and peacefully solves conflicts by convincing intelligent monsters to open up about their problems.

Also, Geralt gets ripped off by every merchant in the known world. This pile of swords is worth 5,000 crowns. He knows because the information panel says so, clear as day. So why is this guy offering Geralt 30 crowns? While negotiating a contract's rewards, Geralt could only haggle the quest giver to pay one crown more than the starting bid. Again, convincer of kings over here. Getting ripped off by people who don't even have proper names. This guy is literally named "Peasant" and his pal is "Blacksmith".

witcher.png

Geralt of Rivia is a master detective. He's been around for more than a hundred years, in which time he has accumulated a wealth of knowledge about monsters, legends, herbology, crime scenes, politics, and geography. His witcher sense allows him to scan his surroundings and hone in on clues. He's basically Batman with a Bat-Computer in his head.

Also, Geralt can't solve the mystery of inventory management. He opens his bag and is greeted with a whirlwind of garbage. There are around three hundred types of flowers in there, eighty different crafting components, and ten treasure maps that he's afraid to throw out because he's not sure which maps he's used and which ones he has yet to follow. Then there are the old and useless pieces of equipment that might be upgraded one day, thirty five honeycombs, and, of course, more than a dozen dog livers.

Seems like a lot of stuff, because it is. Geralt can manage just fine though. Unless he loots a cloth shirt. Then he'll be overburdened, and will have to do his wobbly toddler walk to get ripped off by the nearest merchant.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think Metro posted this vid in this thread yet, posted some of his others though:

Much idiocy. Dude complaining about his own incompetence at playing games.

It's retard central today. You can roll to minimize fall damage, those comments about gwent and trading is just pure wtf and the one about retarded loot system is 100% true.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Infinitron The funny party is that 90% of TW3 shortcomings were present in TW2 as well. I wonder what CDPR developers have been doing for the past 4 years other than modeling nextgen tits and implementing wonky hair physics.

Cromwell

Arcane
Infinitron The funny party is that 90% of TW3 shortcomings were present in TW2 as well. I wonder what CDPR developers have been doing for the past 4 years other than modeling nextgen tits and implementing wonky hair physics.

Creating a bug which prevents me from sprinting. I just did the bathhouse quest in Novigrad at more or less the endgame. Now my stamina is drained forever and I cant run anymore or use signs.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Creating a bug which prevents me from sprinting. I just did the bathhouse quest in Novigrad at more or less the endgame. Now my stamina is drained forever and I cant run anymore.

It's easy to fix,just enter in fight and spin around like a retard,stamina will come back.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I don't think Metro posted this vid in this thread yet, posted some of his others though:

Target switch is slightly annoying in some circumstances but this prick is just a failure at the game or exaggering on purpose. He doesnt even use lockon as far as i can see...

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Geralt never knows when his attack will be an overhand slash, or a dash forward, or a lunge, or how far he will move during that attack, or whether he will hit the enemy he is facing, or whether he will perform a dazzlingly useless pirouette.
This guy knows. If this were actiongamecodex, the use of these shit systems would be recognized as the greatest :decline: . More focus on player input and control, less on the PC looking cool and doing the 'right' attack in every situation, despite the player just pressing 'attack'.

Much idiocy. Dude complaining about his own incompetence at playing games.

7:40 onwards is really something though. Beautiful improv music and lyrics as well.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Target switch is slightly annoying in some circumstances but this prick is just a failure at the game or exaggering on purpose. He doesnt even use lockon as far as i can see...

Yeah, I mean afaik there isn't any other way to do the autofocus. What is he even foaming about? Or maybe he said he would get rid of the autofocus feature entirely, which would be a legitimate point for discussion, but I didn't watch till the end.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
At what point in the story do I see the part with those 3 witches drinking blood from that 'stew' pot, like it was seen in the trailers? I am off to Skellige now but havent seen it yet.

It's close to the end game - after you are done with Skellige.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom