Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
sadness_158.jpg

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
anyone notice Triss keeps looking younger with each game? I mean i know she's a sorceress, but whatever she's using is worth the money.

Dookins

Educated
That's because weapon damage scales proportionally to enemy HP.

What would you prefer for higher level monsters then? Let's say you meet a level 30 moster when you're level 12, what's the ultimate Roxor design nobody thought of yet?
Roll, roll, quen, roll, roll. Win. 20xp at best. Shit game is shit. Shit. Boring, poorly designed shit which, frankly, depressed me as the future of RPGs. Not one fight in the game that I couldn't win without investing more four points in character development, and none of those points were strictly combat related. Terrible fucking game. Terrible. Boring. Empty. Shit combat. Meaningless open world. Pointless itemization. Irrelevant character development. Storyfags gonna fag.

You know, not even gonna get into the fine details since I'm not sure I'm not suffering Stockholms from a lack of meaningful character progression or storyfaggotry in any RPG , pure or mutt, in recent memory, but why would you roll over dodge?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

What would you prefer for higher level monsters then? Let's say you meet a level 30 moster when you're level 12, what's the ultimate Roxor design nobody thought of yet?
Roll, roll, quen, roll, roll. Win. 20xp at best. Shit game is shit. Shit. Boring, poorly designed shit which, frankly, depressed me as the future of RPGs. Not one fight in the game that I couldn't win without investing more four points in character development, and none of those points were strictly combat related. Terrible fucking game. Terrible. Boring. Empty. Shit combat. Meaningless open world. Pointless itemization. Irrelevant character development. Storyfags gonna fag.

You know, not even gonna get into the fine details since I'm not sure I'm not suffering Stockholms from a lack of meaningful character progression or storyfaggotry in any RPG , pure or mutt, in recent memory, but why would you roll over dodge?
Rolling is good agaisnt bosses in general ,Golems,Chorts,Griffins and some others.Most of the time they have some kind of charging ability where dodging doesn't really work that well and you risk to get the big hit.Rolling is so-so in beating trash mobs..

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I just killed 6 level higher Arch Gryphon. Best fight in the game so far. Suxors gonna suck.

It's not about whether you can kill them or not, you stupid shit, because everything can be killed in this game relatively easily if you have the twitch skill, it's about arbitrary stat bloat that makes those 6+ level higher enemies take half a year to kill. When an enemy is marked with a skull, it gets like 10 times more total HP and its damage is blown up to the stratosphere, but all that immediately vanishes the moment you get up a level and the skull is removed. This is just stupid design, period.

There should be no HP scaling.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I agree on all the points.

However the game is a step in the right direction, 15 years later but we are finally reaching the quality of Gothic 1. Not really but you get the idea.

Dookins

Educated

Rolling is good agaisnt bosses in general ,Golems,Chorts,Griffins and some others.Most of the time they have some kind of charging ability where dodging doesn't really work that well and you risk to get the big hit.Rolling is so-so in beating trash mobs..

Yeah, its good against large enemies and when you get cornered by groups, but dodge still seems like the go to action at very least because it opens up so many counterattack opportunities. I mean, I dunno how different Blood and Broken Bones is over Death March, but if all you're doing is dropping quen every so often and rolling around, it sounds like you're just drawing things out unnecessarily. Fighting a pack of nekkers or wolves for instance, I'd rather cast yrden, dodge when needed and get through the encounter quickly rather than drawing it out. Is it necessary? No, but hardly larping. Casting Haste in the BG wasn't necessary either, but it gets you through encounters faster.

I just killed 6 level higher Arch Gryphon. Best fight in the game so far. Suxors gonna suck.

It's not about whether you can kill them or not, you stupid shit, because everything can be killed in this game relatively easily if you have the twitch skill, it's about arbitrary stat bloat that makes those 6+ level higher enemies take half a year to kill. When an enemy is marked with a skull, it gets like 10 times more total HP and its damage is blown up to the stratosphere, but all that immediately vanishes the moment you get up a level and the skull is removed. This is just stupid design, period.

The answer is git gud faggot

Its one of the hardest bosses in DaS finished with character on level 1 on new game +7. Action games should be about players skill not some artificial shit like damage scaled proportionally to enemies hp. Damage of your weapons in DaS doesnt scale with your level/mobs level but with your stats and how much you upgraded those weapons. You can finish the game with your starting weapon if you upgraded her enough and it doesnt come to 20 minutes of chipping enemies health for 1% or less per hit.

Dookins

Educated
15 years later but we are finally reaching the quality of Gothic 1. Not really but you get the idea.

I would kill for Gothic's character progression merged with the writing here, and lets dump in Dragons Dogma combat while we're at it (the actual best in ARPGs, regardless of what the Souls fans say).

Once I hit about level 20, monsters with skulls became doable and I started doing pretty respectable damage to them. Granted, I've built Geralt to be a crit monster, and before I reached a certain point it was definitely more trouble than it was worth.

Can't deny that I'm not fond of the level scaling and gating, either. For most of the game higher level monsters were doable but a chore. And greys are no fun to fight, which I don't remember ever being a problem in Gothic. In fact, killing weaker enemies that were troublesome early-game was pretty satisfying in Gothic. I guess it's because they weren't considered 'greys' and you still got full XP for them.

Game still gives me Gothic vibes, even if it doesn't live up to it, and it brings a tear to my eye to see some of my dudebro friends actually enjoying an open-world RPG for a change.

Malpercio

Arcane
shitty analogy that misses my point
Half this thread is sucking T3 cock as a good game. It isn't a good game. Isn't is a good RPG. It isn't a good action game. It isn't any sort of good game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more. That's my point.

IMO, TW3 is still the best piece of storyfagottry effort since PS:T.

Mask of the Betrayer and Anachronox both came after PS:T, so get the fuck out.

bonescraper

:hmmm:

Fascinating... You make Hiver look like a sane person.
There should be no HP scaling.
I think you'd like Oblivion. Different mechanics, same result.
something something Derp Souls
8ublWok.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Half this thread is sucking T3 cock as a good game. It isn't a good game. Isn't is a good RPG. It isn't a good action game. It isn't any sort of good game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more. That's my point.

Not to mention VtMB, KotOR 2, Arcanum, BG2, Dark Souls and any number of small titles like geneforge and weeboo games like Nocturne.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Played both, didn't enjoy them that much. Partly due to retarded gameplay. People call TW3 visual novels, than what to call MoTB when you can finish the game on an autopilot - just go forward and the game autowins for you. :troll:

Also, compared to PS:T or TW3 they strike as teenage angsty shit about nothing. But that's just how I feel about them.

Mrowak

Arcane
1st - not true, e.g. battles with Werewolves ain't that easy unless you outlevel them significantly.

axii.png

I speak from nothing else but experience. I really could not defeat the fucker with the gear I had right off the bat.

Man, I am not saying the that the combat is perfect. Other than easiness of implementation I cannot imagine why they went with MMORPG equipment and enemy gateing - which is infuriating, and indeed it cheapens gameplay. But combat had its moments. So it's salvageable, IMO.

TedNugent

Arcane
I decided to romance both Triss and Yennefer

Now Yennefer is in my castle fucking around and ordering my brother Witchers around

How do I get this bitch out of my castle?

Mrowak

Arcane
I really wanted to like Twitcher 3, but I must agree with muds_animal_friend. As a visual novel it's great, but as an actual game it sucks pretty hard.

Then we are back at square one. We need to ask ourselves yet again, "what is an RPG?". Incoming 120 pages worth of hopeless drivel.

Or give ourselves a break and start enjoying things for what they are, RPG, arcade game, visual novel or whatnot.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just finished the Reason of State quest. One of the characters' disregard for self-safety is inexplicable and worthy of separate discussion and criticism, but this quest culminated in what might be one of the hardest decisions in the series.

At first I thought the quest was essentially bringing together the biggest bros across the three games just as cheap but enjoyable fan-service. And then it goes and subverts it in a way that's an even bigger gut-punch than the bloody baron quest due to it deciding the fates of my favorite characters from each of the 3 games.

(No specific spoilers, but added the spoiler tag just in case)

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I really wanted to like Twitcher 3, but I must agree with muds_animal_friend. As a visual novel it's great, but as an actual game it sucks pretty hard.

Then we are back at square one. We need to ask ourselves yet again, "what is an RPG?". Incoming 120 pages worth of hopeless drivel.

Or give ourselves a break and start enjoying things for what they are, RPG, arcade game, visual novel or whatnot.

I don't really care if this game is an RPG or not, what I care about is whether the gameplay is good. It's just good enough in a lot of cases, but as a whole it's subpar. In the individual execution it can be decent, but there's just so much of it piled on MMO-style that I can't imagine anyone who doesn't find it a chore. Ironically TW3 is the most fun when you put yourself on railroads by doing one major quest after another. It's a JRPG with less grinding, and doing it better than most JRPGs do these days.

Tigranes

Arcane
BTW, re. rolling: it happens to me literally every Witcher game. The first time the only way I get by is roll, roll, quen. Like I completely forgot how to play and I'm some 80 year old dement. Then by the second time round I realise I don't have to do that shit at all, and I start using the full complement of spells, abilities, etc. and the fights become exponentially more enjoyable. Then my reflexes forget in the meantime. I'm just glad I don't get stuck in the shitty first stage where I play like a moron. The game itself is partly to blame for enabling that shit (on up to Hard difficulties, anyway), but it's a nice thing that you can play in a more enjoyable way.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just finished the Reason of State quest. One of the characters' disregard for self-safety is inexplicable and worthy of separate discussion and criticism, but this quest culminated in what might be one of the hardest decisions in the series.

At first I thought the quest was essentially bringing together the biggest bros across the three games just as cheap but enjoyable fan-service. And then it goes and subverts it in a way that's an even bigger gut-punch than the bloody baron quest due to it deciding the fates of my favorite characters from each of the 3 games.

(No specific spoilers, but added the spoiler tag just in case)

They were carrying different flags from the start. Didn't surprise me one bit. And sorry, the other dude was new to me. So yeah, sucks to be that guy.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member

No, it's not weapon damage, it's enemy HP that scales to your level. You are advocating for what is effectively reverse level scaling, are you fucking insane.

The same ultimate design that nobody thought of yet that was already in Gothic 1 and 2. Where the difficulty of powerful enemies is not arbitrary bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom