Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Dookins

Educated
Kinda what I've been saying for a while now, if taken as an RPG it's shit on most counts, but as a modern age every-influence-in-the-book action game in the Batman vein, it's not too bad.
Well, except for the action being subpar.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Fixes a possible exploit by preventing certain drowners from respawning infinitely.
Wow, good thing they fixed this. Someone could've broken the game by killing those respawning drowners for 1 xp each.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You know, I agree 90 %.

There's just one fat problem with your argument. You're like the guy going to see a Peter Jackson movie and then foaming at the mouth that it's an utter SHIT SHIT SHIT compared to Space Odyssey!1!1!!1

You know bro, people don't go to see a Peter Jackson movie to receive an artistic revelation that'll stay with them till the end of their days and beyond. They go to see a Peter Jackson movie to have a 2,5 hour fucking blast and then go home and go on with their lives. No this game is not a second coming of Wizardry. It wasn't developed as one and NOBODY - well maybe except you - haven't bought it expecting to be one. After TW2 and 2 years worth of constant hype, leaks and gameplay videos everybody knew EXACTLY what they're getting into. And what we got exceeded pretty much everyone's expectation.

But I agree - skill system and expecially itemization is way worse than it needs to be in an open world action adventure RPG light. Hopefully it's gonna be patched out/modded/rebalanced.

shitty analogy that misses my point
Half this thread is sucking T3 cock as a good game. It isn't a good game. Isn't is a good RPG. It isn't a good action game. It isn't any sort of good game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more. That's my point.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Half this thread is sucking T3 cock as a good game. It isn't a good game. Isn't is a good RPG. It isn't a good action game. It isn't any sort of good game. It's an interactive movie. Nothing more. That's my point.

There are parts of Novigrad that got me straight up raging. It was literally run to place A, watch 5 min cutscene, run to place B, watch some more cutscenes, click some dialogue and boom, 800 XP. That's a fucking awful game design.

But saying TW3 is an interactive movie is way off mark. If nothing else the combat - as action combats go - is decent. On DM you gotta use your oils, signs, bombs, some thinking, tactics and learn AI attack patterns. Especially fights with higher-level water hags can be pretty epic. Oh and if you roll roll roll then you're doing it terribly, terribly wrong broski.

Malpercio

Arcane
3RPZl43.jpg

:prosper:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Who cares? As long as I have a blast with it, if it's an RPG, action game, or visual novel it's irrelevant. It's just fun in places where it aimed to be.

Hell, I even liked combat - with some modding it is salvageble methinks.

One thing I disllike about Codex is that constant whining: WHHAAAA, this piece of entertainment does not fit my impossibly high arbitrary standards I have in my head. First world problems, goddamn.

IMO, TW3 is still the best piece of storyfagottry effort since PS:T.

Malpercio

Arcane
Also, Am I crazy or the world just doen't feel... very coesive? Like, I was going south and I ran into level 10 pirates... ok.

I go souther and I meet... level 3 cannibals? And further south I meet level ??? ghouls??? Like, I dunno, but I felt like someone pressed RANDOM on the enemies pos. Is it just me?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
One thing I disllike about Codex is that constant whining: WHHAAAA, this piece of entertainment does not fit my impossibly high arbitrary standards I have in my head. First world problems, goddamn.
Wanting a game to have good gameplay is impossibly high standards?

If nothing else the combat - as action combats go - is decent. On DM you gotta use your oils, signs, bombs, some thinking, tactics and learn AI attack patterns. Especially fights with higher-level water hags can be pretty epic. Oh and if you roll roll roll then you're doing terribly, terribly wrong broski.
At no point. And I want to stress this just so it's clear. At no point is it necessary to do anything more than roll, roll, hit, hit, roll, roll, hit, hit, to win any combat in the game. As an action game it's a sack of shit. And as an RPG it's a sack of shit. Just so I'm clear.

Can't disagree with that because TW3 is another overrated non-game just like PS:T.

edit: Actually, I like to take this moment to apologize for comparing PS:T to TW3. PS:T is merely a mediocre game on many levels, but still very much a game and worthy of recognition of such. TW3, in contrast, has no redeeming features as a game whatsoever.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Whose brilliant idea was it to introduce this completely fucking retarded level-gating where monsters 6 levels above you get a sudden ++++++++++++++++++ hp and damage boost? "Plz gain one more level to make this monster killable", what the fuck.
I just killed 6 level higher Arch Gryphon. Best fight in the game so far. Suxors gonna suck.

Also, now that i unlocked the whirlwind skill and chargable power attack i'm actually enjoying the combat.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Cuckatrice, griffin & basilisk all act exactly the same during combat. Nekkers/drowners do too (but at least nekkers can be parried).

What's the point of having different monster types then.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
I just killed 6 level higher Arch Gryphon. Best fight in the game so far. Suxors gonna suck.

It's not about whether you can kill them or not, you stupid shit, because everything can be killed in this game relatively easily if you have the twitch skill, it's about arbitrary stat bloat that makes those 6+ level higher enemies take half a year to kill. When an enemy is marked with a skull, it gets like 10 times more total HP and its damage is blown up to the stratosphere, but all that immediately vanishes the moment you get up a level and the skull is removed. This is just stupid design, period.

Dookins

Educated
Also, now that i unlocked the whirlwind skill and chargable power attack i'm actually enjoying the combat.

Same experience here. It goes to show how badly thought out the systems are in general though, so many easily implementable minor changes could've changed the feel of focusing between different trees. Would it have killed them make adrenaline speed up swordplay animations? Would have actually tied in decently with the adrenaline bonuses there rather than tethering it to the underwhelming (and broken) perma-revive.

Mrowak

Arcane
If nothing else the combat - as action combats go - is decent. On DM you gotta use your oils, signs, bombs, some thinking, tactics and learn AI attack patterns. Especially fights with higher-level water hags can be pretty epic. Oh and if you roll roll roll then you're doing terribly, terribly wrong broski.
At no point. And I want to stress this just so it's clear. At no point is it necessary to do anything more than roll, roll, hit, hit, roll, roll, hit, hit, to win any combat in the game. As an action game it's a sack of shit. And as an RPG it's a sack of shit. Just so I'm clear.

Well, you just described every action game, every arcade slasher in existence, including classics like Die by the Sword, Way of the Samurai, Ys series or Dark Souls. Because hit enemy and not get hit by him is the staple of almost every action game. Job well done! What was your point again? What is the problem? And most importantly, what is the fix? How would you fix the game if you had will and means to?

Also, your statement is not completely true. I remember at least several instances where I had my arse handed to me, because e.g. enemy regenerated faster than I could damage it. Solution? Counter regen with fire spell, apply oils and poison the fuck of the bastard. Those moments are too few, admittedly but claiming there are none existent is just ill will, pure and simple.

Can't disagree with that because TW3 is another overrated non-game just like PS:T.

You know what? Then how about instead of getting all anxious about a piece of entertainment you do not like go for games you do enjoy? Hell, you seem all surprised that TW3 is a storyfaggy action RPG where at no point it was marketed as anything else but exactly that.

bonescraper

It's not about whether you can kill them or not, you stupid shit, because everything can be killed in this game relatively easily if you have the twitch skill, it's about arbitrary stat bloat that makes those 6+ level higher enemies take half a year to kill. When an enemy is marked with a skull, it gets like 10 times more total HP and its damage is blown up to the stratosphere, but all that immediately vanishes the moment you get up a level and the skull is removed. This is just stupid design, period.
That's because weapon damage scales proportionally to enemy HP.

What would you prefer for higher level monsters then? Let's say you meet a level 30 moster when you're level 12, what's the ultimate Roxor design nobody thought of yet?

Well, you just described every action game, every arcade slasher in existence, including classics like Die by the Sword, Way of the Samurai, Ys series or Dark Souls. Because hit enemy and not get hit by him is the staple of almost every action game. Job well done! What was your point again? What is the problem? And most importantly, what is the fix? How would you fix the game if you had will and means to?.
No. I just described a shit game. And now you've gone a listed some other games and said they're the same as the shit game without even comparing any of their features whatsoever and blah, blah. You're not even fucking trying. Like every other TW3 apologist on this fuckiing miserable thread you're arguments amount to "I'm wood, you're glue". Depry, derpy, derpy.

Here's my point -- yet again, for the fucking hard of thinking -- TW3 is a sack of shit where every single fucking fight can be won by the same single tactic over and over again: roll, roll, hit, hit, roll, roll. EVERY SINGLE FUCKING FIGHT. Debate. And prove me wrong

bonescraper

Here's my point -- yet again, for the fucking hard of thinking -- TW3 is a sack of shit where every single fucking fight can be won by the same single tactic over and over again: roll, roll, hit, hit, roll, roll. EVERY SINGLE FUCKING FIGHT. Debate. And prove me wrong
You can also dig a grave with a spoon. Debate. And prove me wrong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
every single fucking fight can be won by the same single tactic over and over again: roll, roll, hit, hit, roll, roll. EVERY SINGLE FUCKING FIGHT.

You know what...I would REALLY want to watch you play like that every single fucking fight without literally passing out in front of your screen from constant dying and reloading.

You remind me of those fucking leroy jenkinses claiming pfffft Dark Souls is sooo easy all you gotta do is swing your sword bichez. Are you even for real?

Mrowak

Arcane
Well, you just described every action game, every arcade slasher in existence, including classics like Die by the Sword, Way of the Samurai, Ys series or Dark Souls. Because hit enemy and not get hit by him is the staple of almost every action game. Job well done! What was your point again? What is the problem? And most importantly, what is the fix? How would you fix the game if you had will and means to?.
No. I just described a shit game. And now you've gone a listed some other games and said they're the same as the shit game without even comparing any of their features whatsoever and blah, blah. You're not even fucking trying. Like every other TW3 apologist on this fuckiing miserable thread you're arguments amount to "I'm wood, you're glue". Depry, derpy, derpy.

1st - not true, e.g. battles with Werewolves ain't that easy unless you outlevel them significantly.

2nd - again: the pattern you criticise is prevelent everywhere, in every game. This leads me to think that you do not articulate your problem well. You claim it's shit, I disagree. I am not going to analyse 20 games to prove anything, because the thing you describe is simply not a problem to me.

3rd - the burden of proof falls on the accuser. ALWAYS. It's your duty to voice your concerns in believeable manner if it is so important to you, not mine to convince you to believe in anything. I don't care what you believe in, think is right, or how should it be, because at the end of the day it's just in your head. Unless you show me its importance somehow.

I'm shite at twitch games. A retarded fucking carrot could beat me in any multiplayer twitch game. Hell, even Crispy could probably beat me in an FPS. If I was drunk. Blind drunk. Maybe. And yet I waltzed through this -- cough -- 'game' without investing any attribute points in combat skills whatsoever. TW3 has the dishonor of been the only so called RPG I've ever played (and my first RPG was the Bard's Tale back in '85) where character development was utterly irrelevant. That's disgraceful in a game game that claims to be an RPG, action or otherwise.

Veelq

Augur

What would you prefer for higher level monsters then? Let's say you meet a level 30 moster when you're level 12, what's the ultimate Roxor design nobody thought of yet?

I dont think it works that way, tried to kill a lvl 12 bear that had red skull and it was almost impossible unless you burn/poison/bleed them to death cuz of percentage damage. The same bear couple of lvls later when he was green was piss easy and i even used some crappy sword just to check if its true. Seems like all you need is lvl similar to enemy to make him piss easy. That makes the whole progression and itemization pointless to me.

Roll, roll, quen, roll, roll. Win. 20xp at best. Shit game is shit. Shit. Boring, poorly designed shit which, frankly, depressed me as the future of RPGs. Not one fight in the game that I couldn't win without investing more four points in character development, and none of those points were strictly combat related. Terrible fucking game. Terrible. Boring. Empty. Shit combat. Meaningless open world. Pointless itemization. Irrelevant character development. Storyfags gonna fag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom