Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lios

Cipher
The one I loathe the most is Anna Apostolakis

ha, it's true that there's a Greek meddling in everything after all!

Monocause

Arcane
Also, re: the peasant example - if you think this is how actual people actually talk in the country, let's just say you're very, very wrong. I found the Polish "peasant" VAs particularly aggravating as in terms of dramatics all they did was yelling into the microphone and add some sort of a faux-eastern accent to make it sound more rustical. The supporting cast voicing peasants sound more like idiots than like countryfolk, strongly reminiscent of the plague of modern-day Polish 'cabaret' whose idea of humour is to make dumb faces and scream something vaguely comprehensible at the audience.
I think you're more British than Polish at this point, expat. You were born in Warsaw, you live in England, what do you know about how people talk on the countryside? Especially older people? I have family there, older aunts and uncles still speak with this "faux-eastern accent" of yours. Oh, and i guess you never even noticed that we have some distinct dialects too.

Just watch some "Sami Swoi", you ignorant buffon.

Hey, I'm back in the motherland and have been here for the past 6 months or so!

I didn't mean to offend the actual eastern accent, or the Kresy that you probably mean. On the contrary, I find the eastern melody very appealing and much nicer to listen to than the rather monotonous Polish usually spoken in the capital. When I called the peasant VA doing a 'faux-eastern' melody i meant precisely that - it's a very corrupted and exaggerated version of the same thing, a stereotype bundled with a fair bit of nastiness and usually heard in the context of ridiculing the countryfolk (think: a Warsaw guy doing that accent to make fun of "wieśniaki" or "wsioki").

Monocause

Arcane
Have you read the damned books!? That's the Sapkowski's idea behind Foltest: he's not you stereotypical fantasy monarch - he may have a crown on his head, but he speaks and acts just like a regular person.

Keep in mind that the Witcher games are supposed to be standalone, particularly when localised for Western audiences. In the context of TW2 solely Foltest is merely a supporting character.

But in English VOs he is played in a typical posh British accent taken straight out of Shakespearean play style.

No! Totally not, seriously. He has moments when he hits the high note but then again he's plenty moments when he seems to lose his hold and suddenly starts slurring a bit. Sounds like a man who's used to spend time barking orders and talking with the common folk rather than conducting diplomacy. He definitely doesn't sound "typical posh", far from it.

If you want to hear posh and shakespearean have a go at this (Excellent series btw!):

bonescraper

Hey, I'm back in the motherland and have been here for the past 6 months or so!
Surely you meant to say "fatherland" ;)

I didn't mean to offend the actual eastern accent, or the Kresy that you probably mean. On the contrary, I find the eastern melody very appealing and much nicer to listen to than the rather monotonous Polish usually spoken in the capital. When I called the peasant VA doing a 'faux-eastern' melody i meant precisely that - it's a very corrupted and exaggerated version of the same thing, a stereotype bundled with a fair bit of nastiness and usually heard in the context of ridiculing the countryfolk (think: a Warsaw guy doing that accent to make fun of "wieśniaki" or "wsioki").
I think you're forgetting one thing here. Peasants in Sapkowski's world (and in Fantasy in general) are simple and uneducated. They're suprestitious, naive and... well... mostly dumb. It's a medieval society, what did you expect?

Darkzone

Arcane
zamknij mordę, cipo
:lol: Looks like i caused much butthurt in this one. Lemme guess, youre Darkzone's alt? Or just one of his relatives?
A ja cie pierdole chuju, ty nie jestes dla mnie az taki ważny. ;)

zamknij mordę, cipo
:lol: Looks like i caused much butthurt in this one. Lemme guess, youre Darkzone's alt? Or just one of his relatives?
No, I saw this handy expression in a video itt, and absolutely had to tell someone of my discovery. :D
Nie wchodź mu w dupe, bo zloto tam nie znajdziesz.

Grokalibre

Augur
You will all play Witcher 3 in French because it's the best language ever.
Just check the french Foltest, he sounds like some teleshopping dude trying to sell his soldiers some magic belt that make one lose fat without exercising.

hiver

Well, well... Ciri cant run!

Look Adam, shes a woman and she falls down when trying to run!
Bet she tripped her fucking toe on a crack in the floor!

/
fuck, her voice over is awful. Could they have chosen a more generic voice actor for her? ffs.
and look at all those wolves attacking one by one so nicely. Waiting for their turn.

So nice to hear they didnt have keyboard-mouse controls figured out yet, at that shilling event, what.. a month away from release? Fills one with hope and confidence about their PC design priorities does it not?

Open world is actually four big areas. atleast that was the case back then, a whole month agoooo.

You can turn off all the markers and idiot hand holders but they dont recommend it. Another surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrard

Arcane
PR bullshit.

The motherland version is clearly superior. Especially since the nilfgaardian sounds like faggot just as he should.

TW1's Russian Geralt was better:rpgcodex:

Does Russia only have one company doing game dubs as well? I could swear I hear some voices from Stalker/Metro there (since those games shared like 80% of voice actors as well).

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
PR bullshit.

The motherland version is clearly superior. Especially since the nilfgaardian sounds like faggot just as he should.

Does Russia only have one company doing game dubs as well? I could swear I hear some voices from Stalker/Metro there (since those games shared like 80% of voice actors as well).

I'm sure it's because all Russians sound the same.

Stompa

Arcane
PR bullshit.

Same situation as in Poland: either young theater\cinema actors doing odd jobs for extra cash or amateurs from 90s who were doing Western cartoon voiceovers before, which led to homogenity of the scene. I don't really follow localizations though, TWitcher series are the only games I've played in Russian lately, mostly due to it being closer to Polish than English.

PR bullshit.

Same situation as in Poland: either young theater\cinema actors doing odd jobs for extra cash or amateurs from 90s who were doing Western cartoon voiceovers before, which led to homogenity of the scene. I don't really follow localizations though, TWitcher series are the only games I've played in Russian lately, mostly due to it being closer to Polish than English.

Also Russian dub and translation of TW1 was surprisingly good-to-decent, but then they'd gone and fuck it up in the second game, changing translator (IIRC) and large part of VAs. So while I played the first game in Russian, the second one I played with Polish voices and Russian subtitles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom