Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Morkar Left

So, Charles Dance mod for potato version for ultimate witchering experience when?

Also
Most likely outsourced it to the one German company that provides the VA for all German games because you'll hear the same insufferable "actors" you hear everywhere else. Modern text-to-speech software does a better job at conveying emotions than German voice actors.
I totally understand you, we had the same insufferable shit in potato in the early 90, especially in cartoons, they all had these few terrible VA that didnt even care and read in toneless voice.
What is surprising however that I was sure that Germany should have much better developed VA industry since translations are mandatory there, do people and game devs really dont care about it that much that they just do the mandatory shitty VA just to fullfil the law?
Dunno about no law, I think it's just what the audience expects. Film/TV dubs are hit or miss, some are in fact superior to the original (Conan comes to mind, or Homer Simpson). Video game VA, however, is uniformly shit. To be fair, my experience is limited to niche titles like PB games which I force myself to play in their native language. Gothic 2 sounds alright in German for the most part though.

My impression is that the translation business got pretty much wiped out in Germany with digital download / Steam. Before Steam most people bought dvd releases from retailers which made enough money for publishers to properly translate games. There's still dvd releases - mostly with steamcodes - but translations took a backseat. Even PoE hasn't a proper translation - not even written and voice acting is completely missing. Could have something to do with most games getting made for consoles, too. Youth doesn't seem to be too interested in pcs, mostly having laptops anyway.

Jezal_k23

I see many people here prefering the Polish dubbing in Witcher, which amuses me. As a potato, I find it amazingly bad - just like most Polish dubbings. I'll try to explain why.

I understand for non-Polish people it will sound interesting and indeed better than English (or other) to which they are so used to. However, when Poles say they prefer Polish dubbing in games it's either because they do not or only barely understand English and it's a requirement for them to know what the game is about. Of course, there are many cool things the characters say, like kurwa, chędorzyć or references to real life things and events, which I also like and which are gone when switching languages.

But the way the actors sound is... weird and artificial. All characters, including the lowest scum who should barely be able to form sentences, do it with all the proper rules of grammar, pronunciation, punctuation. It sounds like an over acted theater play. All characters' voices must have an obligatory hoarseness and many of them sound like characters from a cartoon like "Maya the Honey Bee", just as if everybody involved in recording the voices, CDProjekt people also, were convinced they are making an animated story for children. A dwarf in Polish Witcher sounds like a beetle from Maya. Female voices are bad too, often sounding the most artificial. Also, when a female character is supposed to be sexy and alluring, she sounds like a woman who's reading 50 Shades Of Grey for an audiobook. If all that is not enough, the audio dynamic range is so compressed all voices sound like in a TV commercial. There's no variation in loudness, the breathing is too loud, etc.

If anyone in Poland would go to a store to buy potatoes and speak like any character from The Witcher, they would not buy anything. The seller would either laugh her/his ass off and be incapable of doing anything for at least 15 minutes or look at you as if you just escaped from a mental institution and ask you to leave or call the police.

When I started speaking like Witcher characters with friends once, to prove the point I'm making here now, they were rolling on the floor laughing at how ridiculous it sounded.

When switching to English version, suddenly all the voices are natural, sloppy when needed, they also sound softer due to lower dynamics compression and there's more variation in tone and loudness.
Unfortunately, all cool Polish things like swearing, multiple meanings of words, references to current real life events and Polish culture are gone and it does indeed suck. It's much better to hear the vampire say "To spierdalać!" than "So fuck off" in the trailer, but I'm afraid The Witcher 3 will be the first Witcher game I will play in English version first and perhaps Polish for a secondary playthrough.

The video posted by bonescraper a few posts up is not an example of Polish voices superiority. For me it proves my opinion of inferiority.

Of course, other Poles will attack me now and insist that I'm the only one who feels this way, that I'm weird, unpatriotic, ungrateful and deaf (even though I have experience with audio engineering and shit... but of course, there is a notion some audio engineers are indeed deaf, otherwise modern albums would not sound so pathetic, but I digress).

PS:
Here's a good comparison video from a different game:
http://gamezilla.komputerswiat.pl/p...nujemy-polska-i-angielska-wersje-jezykowa-gry
First, the Polish dubbing, then - English. I assure you no one in Poland speaks like this. It sounds funny, overacted, etc. When they show the English version in the second half of the video... well, it all sounds right, like actual people talking, not actors.

As a brazilian, I feel the same way when I hear games or movies dubbed in portuguese. Absurdly awful and unnatural.

Gerrard

Arcane
soulburner

Congratulations, you discovered that people in real life don't talk like people in games or books, do you want a fucking medal? Your opinion is still shit by the way.

I totally understand you, we had the same insufferable shit in potato in the early 90, especially in cartoons, they all had these few terrible VA that didnt even care and read in toneless voice.
I don't remember that much about early 90s, but the cartoon dubs from the late 90s are light years ahead of the shit that came several years later. On CN you even had changes in cast in later seasons of the same series, always for the worse (not to mention retarded "localization" of names and shit).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most likely outsourced it to the one German company that provides the VA for all German games because you'll hear the same insufferable "actors" you hear everywhere else. Modern text-to-speech software does a better job at conveying emotions than German voice actors.
Do I smell monopoly? Because that is always great for quality of the end product. [/sarcasm]
I am guessing mandatory localization does not help here either.

soulburner I get what you mean, but I feel your complains mean something like 'people in books movies and games do not speak like they do in real life'. Well, yeah, they do not. But if you think this only applies to Polish language, you are deluded - you probably notice this in Polish the most, because that is the language you see/hear used the most..

EDIT: kind of ninja'ed by Gerrard

Quatlo

Arcane
Obligatory:

As for the criticism how potato witcher sounds ridiculous, its as ridiculous as in the books, I highly doubt anyone ever spoke like sapkowski is imagining.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I see many people here prefering the Polish dubbing in Witcher, which amuses me. As a potato, I find it amazingly bad - just like most Polish dubbings. I'll try to explain why.

I understand for non-Polish people it will sound interesting and indeed better than English (or other) to which they are so used to. However, when Poles say they prefer Polish dubbing in games it's either because they do not or only barely understand English and it's a requirement for them to know what the game is about. Of course, there are many cool things the characters say, like kurwa, chędorzyć or references to real life things and events, which I also like and which are gone when switching languages.

But the way the actors sound is... weird and artificial. All characters, including the lowest scum who should barely be able to form sentences, do it with all the proper rules of grammar, pronunciation, punctuation. It sounds like an over acted theater play. All characters' voices must have an obligatory hoarseness and many of them sound like characters from a cartoon like "Maya the Honey Bee", just as if everybody involved in recording the voices, CDProjekt people also, were convinced they are making an animated story for children. A dwarf in Polish Witcher sounds like a beetle from Maya. Female voices are bad too, often sounding the most artificial. Also, when a female character is supposed to be sexy and alluring, she sounds like a woman who's reading 50 Shades Of Grey for an audiobook. If all that is not enough, the audio dynamic range is so compressed all voices sound like in a TV commercial. There's no variation in loudness, the breathing is too loud, etc.

While I'm not a fan of the overwhelming majority of Polish dubs, your strong case against The Witcher forces me to say: comparative vids or it didn't happen. Especially the d0rf/beetle thingy.

soulburner

Cipher
soulburner

Congratulations, you discovered that people in real life don't talk like people in games or books, do you want a fucking medal? Your opinion is still shit by the way.

soulburner I get what you mean, but I feel your complains mean something like 'people in books movies and games do not speak like they do in real life'. Well, yeah, they do not. But if you think this only applies to Polish language, you are deluded - you probably notice this in Polish the most, because that is the language you see/hear used the most..

I realize characters in games do not talk like real people, but I expect a certain level of realism to support my suspension of disbelief. I know how real people talk in English, I even speak with them :P English dubbing in games sounds rather realistic. Polish does not or does very rarely.

Storyfag, I'll try to find comparative videos but after viewing some Maya vids on youtube I'm afraid it will be hard and it might have been not a good example. I remembered them differently, now I find the voices in Maya much more natural and superior to Witcher's (and other Polish game dubbings) :D

made

Arcane
It's a fantasy game, it treads a fine line between sounding too theatrical and too modern. Since nobody actually knows how people talked hundreds of years ago, it stands to reason to act like the audience imagines them to have talked, which can end up too over-the-top. It's certainly trickier to pull off than your Lara Croft example which has modern people doing modern stuff.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Back on topic of the game - all these previews give me a feeling that Wild Hunt might be a bit too much about 'riding around on a horse and killing things' (TM), but maybe that impression is caused by what CDPR allowed to be recorded and gameplay is more balanced overall.

I also hope "investigation" quests are something more than turning Batman Vision on and following the glowing trail, because that part looks really underwhelming and will get boring fast.

The game certainly looks beautiful. I am counting on recommended hardware (my PC is on par with those) allowing to play in reasonable settings and framerate - I am getting around 110 FPS in TW2 at quality optimal for me (all max, with the eye cancer stuff like blur and DoF turned off), I will be perfectly fine with half of that in TW3. Please, optimize, CDPR.

hiver

All dubing is stupid and forced and you will never hear natural everyday language used for one fact: The mass audience man.

There MIGHT BE some player who doesnt get it and then he will cry about it on twitter.
And the first law of game design is: - fear the retards. -

soulburner
No, his opinion is actually quite good and supported with enough facts and knowledge.

On the other hand...your opinion is actually shit. Empty declaratory stupid moron shit.
The fact that you went for such stupid remark only shows directly what kind of person you are - you felt some emotional dissatisfaction about how cool some feature you liked or pretended to like is, and your immediate reaction was to go for idiotic empty diarrhea insult.
Therefore you are literally a devolved stupid shit.

Beowulf

Arcane
What Lara Croft has got to do with the price of fish?

While I agree that it's hard to quantify someone's auditory reception experiences and form a basis for objective comparison platform, and Witcher's Polish dubbing has some downsides, but it's one of the best I have encountered in this medium. Well, I was so impressed that I actually decided to play the game in polish, which I rarely do.

However, when Poles say they prefer Polish dubbing in games it's either because they do not or only barely understand English and it's a requirement for them to know what the game is about.

The merit of this argument is evident, as can it's clearly the case for people posting on this forums :M

I also hope "investigation" quests are something more than turning Batman Vision on and following the glowing trail, because that part looks really underwhelming and will get boring fast.

That is one of my biggest concerns as well.
Anyway, I'm declaring self-imposed embargo on Wither 3 videos from now on, don't want to spoil myself.

Lios

Cipher
Grokalibre, watch this:

IMO the Polish version is by far the best one. It definitely looks like the potato version had far more directorial input, the drunken soldier sounds drunk only in the Polish version, Foltest sounds smug and convincing, the troll sounds primitive and quite dense and Geralt sounds natural and cynical, not forced or wimpy like in other versions.

the polish dub sounds worthy indeed to my non polish-literate ears, or maybe it's the exotic factor that is always a bonus as it gives the imagination something extra to cling to.
will most probably have polish playthrough in 2019 when I'll have the rig to play TW3 properly

*oh the German one sounds so goddamn soulless it's not even funny

WhiteGuts

Arcane

Disabling GUI elements will probably be mandatory to make those phases more interesting.

bonescraper

:butthurt:

But the way the actors sound is... weird and artificial.
No. R00fles.

All characters, including the lowest scum who should barely be able to form sentences, do it with all the proper rules of grammar, pronunciation, punctuation. It sounds like an over acted theater play.

You're trying too hard and clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Peasants speak like peasants, some struggle with more complex words like "immunitet" or "kwarantanna". Old hags speaks like old hags, bandits speak like bandits, everything is ok... mostly. Witcher has few moments when the writing is too flowery and elaborate at times, but the VO is great in general. Writing in the sequel is more casual and natural, but they went a bit overboard with edginess and kurwas.

All characters' voices must have an obligatory hoarseness and many of them sound like characters from a cartoon like "Maya the Honey Bee", just as if everybody involved in recording the voices, CDProjekt people also, were convinced they are making an animated story for children. A dwarf in Polish Witcher sounds like a beetle from Maya. Female voices are bad too, often sounding the most artificial. Also, when a female character is supposed to be sexy and alluring, she sounds like a woman who's reading 50 Shades Of Grey for an audiobook. If all that is not enough, the audio dynamic range is so compressed all voices sound like in a TV commercial. There's no variation in loudness, the breathing is too loud, etc.
Bullshit. There are some shittier moments, Saskia for example tries too hard to sound tough and shit, but that's pretty much the lowest point of the Polish VO. IMO the woman responsible for her VO simply butchered that character. Iorveth, Roche, Foltest etc. on the other hand, all sound great and convincing. Foltest just spews charisma in the Polish version. I know what i'm saying, i just finished my second playthrough of TW2 and i'm currently playing the original game.

When switching to English version, suddenly all the voices are natural, sloppy when needed, they also sound softer due to lower dynamics compression and there's more variation in tone and loudness.
984b226a5f2a84d0feb6dd59bb1e915072771cd55a6bbd8be611288645399cfa.jpg

English dub sounds passionless, emotionless and bland. Geralt is just fucking awful, Foltest sounds like an average bloke next door. And all peasants speak with top notch British accent.

The video posted by bonescraper a few posts up is not an example of Polish voices superiority. For me it proves my opinion of inferiority.

Of course, other Poles will attack me now and insist that I'm the only one who feels this way, that I'm weird, unpatriotic, ungrateful and deaf (even though I have experience with audio engineering and shit... but of course, there is a notion some audio engineers are indeed deaf, otherwise modern albums would not sound so pathetic, but I digress).
No. U R dubm. Polish dubs in The Witcher are good, very good even. Not perfect, but definitely far superior to anything else out there.

Here's a good comparison video from a different game:
http://gamezilla.komputerswiat.pl/p...nujemy-polska-i-angielska-wersje-jezykowa-gry
First, the Polish dubbing, then - English. I assure you no one in Poland speaks like this. It sounds funny, overacted, etc. When they show the English version in the second half of the video... well, it all sounds right, like actual people talking, not actors.
Ah, ok. You're just biased. Yes, this this is shit, but you're just fucking butthurt, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ptosio

Arcane

I understand for non-Polish people it will sound interesting and indeed better than English (or other) to which they are so used to. However, when Poles say they prefer Polish dubbing in games it's either because they do not or only barely understand English and it's a requirement for them to know what the game is about.

Lol, wut? Are you sure we're talking about the same game?

Because while what you say may be true about most other games, people play Wiedźmin in Polish because that's the way it's meant to be played ®

Yes, the Witcher also suffers somehow from this "overly theatrical", unnatural style of play, but what made you think the English version is free of this disease?

Hell, listen to the two Foltests and tell me which one sounds like a stereotypical pretentious royal cunt and which one is closer to the down-to-earth ruler we know from the books?

Listen to the two Geralts and tell me which one tries too hard for a forced badassery and which one is the more canonical withdrawn cynic watching this foolish child's play with a smug, ironic detachment?

PL: https://youtu.be/dlVX4DpbFNc?t=1330

Listen to the two Merigolds and tell me which one would better introduce the new players to the characters? This is from the very beginning of the game, mind you, first impression matters.

(I know...Foltest and the other northern monarchs are neither the smartest nor the most refined. But they are kings. One of whom we serve. - and all this said with a sweet all-American housewife accent without the slightest hint of an irony...WTF!? This gives you a totally wrong idea about Triss)

(Yeah...Foltest and the other northern monarchs may not be the titans of intellect or refinement, but we don't have any better ones (at hand/disposal) - this accurately conveys the fact that the sorcerers consider the northern monarchs as their puppets who sometimes misbehave)

All characters, including the lowest scum who should barely be able to form sentences, do it with all the proper rules of grammar, pronunciation, punctuation.

What, in the Witcher? Kwantatanna much? Or that peasants in the Vizima market square who are taken straight out from the Belorussian border?:P

And so on, and so on...I could easily add more to this if I had time and keep in mind I haven't even played the games in English. I think I've made my point anyway (sorry if some of the descriptions are a little bit off, that has to do with my deficient English skills, but I hope I've managed to get my message across)

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Polish dubbing is obviously superios. Everything is superior in Poland.
-superior games
-superior Witcher dub
-superior online store
-superior vodka
-superior hussars
-superior kurwas
-superior bydlo
-superior zabory
-superior holocaust

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Hell, listen to the two Foltests and tell me which one ―― is closer to the down-to-earth ruler we know from the books?
Listen to the two Geralts and tell me which one ―― is the more canonical withdrawn cynic watching this foolish child's play with a smug, ironic detachment?
I only know one word of Polish, but I really can't answer those questions. I guess the correct answer should be "potato", but I think the descriptions are spot-on when it comes to the English voice-acting in TW2 as well. Foltest comes off as a genuinely likeable guy that has a bit of flamboyance to him (which is apparent in the books as well), and Geralt is very much a "withdrawn cynic" who seems to treat everything with a hint of irony. Triss definitely doesn't come off as an American housewife either, but I don't see much point in comparing single lines of dialogue out of context. If anything, I think the English voices sound more distinct and memorable than the Polish ones, but that might just be because I have no idea what the potatoes are actually saying. For what it's worth, the Polish VA does sound better to me than the Russian, German or French translations.

Of course, if you read the books in Polish and then played the game in Polish, it's understandable that you'd prefer the Polish version. I'm just saying that the English voice-acting is actually really good for the most part and manages to capture the defining aspects of each character rather well.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have to say that i prefer the english or the german version, than the polish one. The Polish version is somehow to cartoony, and somehow the voices wkurwiaja mnie (annoy me). While for most people the german version may sound soulless they sound to me more "sachlich" (objectively), and not theatralic. The english version is more serious like the german and that makes it work, for me. And yes the polish version remembers me of polish translations in cartoons, like Pszczolka Maja.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
This is real Foltest (probably his best line).

Only if the real Foltest was constipated during the siege ,otherwise this sounds fucking horrible,they all sound fucking horrible.
And the women dude,oh my lord, they all speak like that over there ? My heart goes to the polish,lith,bel people,god sure played a cruel joke on all of you.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Polish Witcher is far better than the English one. But general acting quality is lower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom