Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hell bovine

Arcane
They need to sell a Geralt-free Witcher 4 somehow.
I think they are trying to sell Ciri as the fantasy RPG's Lara Croft. Gboy failed to conquer the market, so now they'll try with a girl instead, I guess.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Have they ever mentioned if they plan to continue the series after 3?

Eitherway I imagine Cyberpunk is going to become the new main series from now on.

Jakub Szamałek told IGN said:
Geralt “has reached the end of his journey,” but this doesn’t mean it’s the end of The Witcher universe in video games. “The Witcher universe is a very big place with a lot of NPCs, a lot of characters, a lot of places we haven’t shown yet,” Szamałek said. “So, we might return to it at some point…but we think that this is a good place to let Geralt enjoy his retirement and try something new."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/ending-the-witcher-3-with-a-bang-ign-first

Seems pretty much in line with a) yes and b) yes.

Darkzone

Arcane
Have they ever mentioned if they plan to continue the series after 3?
Eitherway I imagine Cyberpunk is going to become the new main series from now on.

In some interview it made the impression on me that they want now stop the series with the TW3, and concentrate on CP77.

Atomkilla

Arcane
The Witcher story will end with this game. They said that they were planning on making a trilogy concerning Geralt, and this third game is supposed to serve as a wrap-up to all the events, both from the books and the previous games.
That being said, I doubt CDPR will just drop TW IP after this game - they already have a TW MOBA for Android and iOS, they have a TW board game that is both physical and digital...I guess there could be room for some more milking there.

Or they could go the Mass Effect way, making another game that has a totally different protagonist - as ME4 (or whatever the name) will have no connection to Shepard. I sincerely hope that will not happen though, and I doubt it will, since it is the total opposite from what this franchise is about. If there's a great thing about CDPR, it's that they try to stay as close to the source material and lore from the books as possible, with some minor changes of course. Not many developers and their titles that are based on already existing source material like books can pride themselves with that *khmLotRkhm*

In any case, I doubt CDPR will make anything major TW-related after this one. They will most likely focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and start/acquire another IP.

Nice art:

CD7WPfeVAAAn_Ij.jpg:large

Darkzone

Arcane
Or they could go the Mass Effect way, making another game that has a totally different protagonist - as ME4 (or whatever the name) will have no connection to Shepard. I sincerely hope that will not happen though, and I doubt it will, since it is the total opposite from what this franchise is about. If there's a great thing about CDPR, it's that they try to stay as close to the source material and lore from the books as possible, with some minor changes of course. Not many developers and their titles that are based on already existing source material like books can pride themselves with that *khmLotRkhm*
In any case, I doubt CDPR will make anything major TW-related after this one. They will most likely focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and start/acquire another IP.

The Witcher IP has perfectly fulfilled its role for CDPR and CP77 is a good replacement for it. But there are a lot of other themes and IPs that they could use, like The Dark Tower, which would exactly fit into their portfolio, or perhaps Pendragon. Either way i think that all good things have an end.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Fuck Witcher

I want all their work on Cyberpunk

Fuck fantasy after W3 for a good long while. Also fuck Ciri who wants to play as her

Parsifarka

Arcane
I need to see those perfectly crafted pixels beheading monsters and fucking bwitches.
Who doesn't want to play as Ciri? Perhaps a total sissy afraid of a virtual woman more virile than him, can't figure whom else.

Monocause

Arcane
How bogus are those minimum requirements? Game looks barely better than TW2.

It's an open world game as opposed to TW2's corridor-like structure. Optimising a game with a limited amount of specific loaded zones is way easier than it is to optimise an open world game. I fully expect TW3 to look mayhaps even slightly worse than TW2 in some respects while being much more demanding in terms of hardware.

Consider that in TW2 you could tweak the shit out of each area by removing loads of stuff that are directly behind the player's line of sight, and place a single tree or a shack to make sure he never sees The Void. In TW3 this wouldn't work in most cases as not only the player will be able to view a certain area from a much larger number of viewpoints but will probably have the option to actually go there...

Atomkilla

Arcane
The Witcher IP has perfectly fulfilled its role for CDPR and CP77 is a good replacement for it. But there are a lot of other themes and IPs that they could use, like The Dark Tower, which would exactly fit into their portfolio, or perhaps Pendragon. Either way i think that all good things have an end.

It has fulfilled it's role, that is true, but that's not how business, especially gaming business, works. They will keep milking the IP one way or another - a newly launched store with stuff made by Jinx is a good example. They will keep selling TW shirts and medallions long after this game is published - as long as there is enough interest in it. Nothing wrong there, of course, but after multi-million investment in the franchise that is a best-seller, expecting them to fully replace it by CP77 or any other title is a bit naive.

Personally, as long as this game doesn't fuck it up and delivers on (at least some of) its promises, mostly concerning the story, I'm happy. On the business side, as long as they don't do ridiculous shit like 5$ Armor DLC (which they said they'd never do), I'm happy too. Other stuff regarding it don't interest me much.

hell bovine

Arcane
I think they are trying to sell Ciri as the fantasy RPG's Lara Croft. Gboy failed to conquer the market, so now they'll try with a girl instead, I guess.
As a good Xena game won't ever be made, I welcome Ciri. Luckily Hellblade will supply my fantasies too.
I've heard about Hellblade. Apparently it's suposed to be not only for PC too, but also support modding? If so, I'll get it, even though I'm terrible at slashy combat.

Darkzone

Arcane
It has fulfilled it's role, that is true, but that's not how business, especially gaming business, works. They will keep milking the IP one way or another - a newly launched store with stuff made by Jinx is a good example. They will keep selling TW shirts and medallions long after this game is published - as long as there is enough interest in it. Nothing wrong there, of course, but after multi-million investment in the franchise that is a best-seller, expecting them to fully replace it by CP77 or any other title is a bit naive.

I agree that they should milk the cow till the cow dies, but i don't see a successful installment with Ciri as the main protagonist. And a Ciri game would extend this to a never ending story. CP77 alone should also not fill the gap, because this is to much risk for them now, and they need to split the risk between two IPs. While the witcher store can sell the witcher merchandise, they need a second or a third horse for the carriage. I honestly believe that due to their capability to stay close to the sourcebooks, they should choose a new successful and well known IP with many books as source, that has been not used in games before, like the Dark Tower.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
They need to sell a Geralt-free Witcher 4 somehow.
Drop the mascot bullshit, put in a character creator and idk, maybe build a decent combat engine for once?

A Witcher game with custom made female protag would be a slut simulator on the level of Dance with Rogues.
You're saying it like it's a bad thing.

I'm not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom