Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Meh, it should be the other way around, since Yen is older and more experienced :smug:

Not really. Triss is obviously summarizing the first two Witcher games for Yennefer who was out of the loop. She's also doing a pretty good job.

Fair enough, but Yen shouldn't really be blushing. She should be more like "been there, done that".

The point was that Triss was fucking her man. She's shocked because she was getting NTR'd pretty hard.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Whatever you perverts, let's just hope some interesting quests make it in the game.
I really like this sequence in Vergen for example.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Meh, it should be the other way around, since Yen is older and more experienced :smug:

Not really. Triss is obviously summarizing the first two Witcher games for Yennefer who was out of the loop. She's also doing a pretty good job.

Fair enough, but Yen shouldn't really be blushing. She should be more like "been there, done that".

The point was that Triss was fucking her man. She's shocked because she was getting NTR'd pretty hard.

Yennefer? Shocked? Please. Moar liek: "Lo! And I shalt rippeth him a new one, and it shalt reacheth from his buttocks upwards to his neck! In furious anger, for my name is the Lady!"

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Yennefer? Shocked? Please. Moar liek: "Lo! And I shalt rippeth him a new one, and it shalt reacheth from his buttocks upwards to his neck! In furious anger, for my name is the Lady!"

The picture is obviously an initial reaction and not the whole scene you fuckign autist.

Gerrard

Arcane
The hours of gameplay keep changing every time they're mentioned.

1430248454939s1p55.jpg
HgWQlA1.jpg

:hmmm:

The Witcher 3 boxed version will require an internet activation (and a small file download) on install to prevent early final build leaks. Only from second printing onwards the game will actually be DRM-free.

Cancelling my pre-order.*

*Just kidding, I do not really care.
That sounds familiar...
ifmERJn.jpg
http://v2.50mb.pl/50mbday

Last edited:

Morkar Left

The ultra-open world of Gothic 3 was even better though and despite no loading the impression lands are far apart was even more palpable, due to an outstanding landscape design.

Not that I'm too butthurt about loading in W3 but a completely open world without any loading adds much impreshun and is clearly better. I wonder what was the obstacle in this case. Is a ginormous seamless world a problem, technically? Because PC only games like Daggerfal, Morrowind or Gothic 3 pulled it off beautifully. Hell even Skyrim pulled it off and that was a last gen console game.
G3 has loading screens. The 3 lands are seprated from each other.
When? I remember getting a loading screen of you use a teleport stone to go from one city to another, but apart from that....

Started G3 again and loaded a savegame. I was wrong, it's seemless from Faring to Nordmar without loading. Could have sworn it was similar to G1/G2.

Perkel

Arcane

Wasn't in Shard of Ice story in books that she basically lived at that time with Geralt and after moring fuck she went to her colleague wizard and also fucked him same day ?

Atomkilla

Arcane
Yep, Yen was quite a bitch throughout the Witcher Saga, especially in the early stories. She cared for Geralt, but was torn between the fact that he is as infertile as she is, but unlike her, doesn't show much interest in ever having a child - while she was constantly trying to find her ways to bring her ovaries back to life. Aside from that, she didn't really like it that much that he, being a witcher, was constantly on road, at least the different road than her. And also, prestige.
It was only later, when to novels began that she really realized how much she cared.

Not that Geralt was a peach either.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Wasn't in Shard of Ice story in books that she basically lived at that time with Geralt and after moring fuck she went to her colleague wizard and also fucked him same day ?

Yeah, IIRC that wizard later (when Yennefer more or less ditched them both) tried suicide by Geralt, wanted to engage in a sword duel but Geralt refused. Not that he was a slouch with a sword mind you (I think Geral remarked he's skilled by the way he drew it or something) but I got the impression that he clearly knew he was outmatched in that regard by Geralt and wanted to die.

Parsifarka

Arcane
Currently I'm very disappointed with Witcher 2. After falling in love with Philippa, whom made bearable the awful level design of Vergen which makes exploring and backtracking a hellish chore, a secondary quest finally broke the game.
It was With flickering heart. When I visited the devil, I decided to kill her and proceed investigating the murder, but ending her blasphemous existence just ended the quest. GG Gerald, nothing more to do, grab your orens and closed quest. Shit. So I reloaded and tried to talk with both parts hoping to unlock a way to destroy both monster and criminal. I had to visit again those catacombs to grab the sword shard, booooooring walking and pointless fight against spectres again. Great. But finally I had the proof of that wicked elf's crime, so I talked with him, willing to drive him to a pressure situation and force him to fight the beast for me. Silly of me, no new conversation options had been unlocked. So I went to the succubus and nothing new either. Greaaat. So back to Iorveth among those awfully designed walls. He goes out to investigate this shit and the murderer has escaped. Well, time to kill the bitch, I'll deal with him later. But just when I got out of the city, that dumbfuck attacks me, without any conversation option. That confirms his guilty, I guess. Then I get to the whore's lair, draw my steel and.... fuck, a conversation. AND I CANNOT FUCKING KILL THAT MONSTER. What's this shit? Where's my freedom? Where's the witcher's justice? I remember how satisfied I felt when I killed both the vamps and the corrupt guards in Wyzima; why can't I destroy what has to be destroyed here? Why do I have to choose among the murderer's or the devil's way? Where's the witcher's way (kill everything)? Very wrong written quest. I hope nothing like this happens again in The Witcher 3.

Atomkilla

Arcane
Currently I'm very disappointed with Witcher 2. After falling in love with Philippa, whom made bearable the awful level design of Vergen which makes exploring and backtracking a hellish chore, a secondary quest finally broke the game.
It was With flickering heart. When I visited the devil, I decided to kill her and proceed investigating the murder, but ending her blasphemous existence just ended the quest. GG Gerald, nothing more to do, grab your orens and closed quest. Shit. So I reloaded and tried to talk with both parts hoping to unlock a way to destroy both monster and criminal. I had to visit again those catacombs to grab the sword shard, booooooring walking and pointless fight against spectres again. Great. But finally I had the proof of that wicked elf's crime, so I talked with him, willing to drive him to a pressure situation and force him to fight the beast for me. Silly of me, no new conversation options had been unlocked. So I went to the succubus and nothing new either. Greaaat. So back to Iorveth among those awfully designed walls. He goes out to investigate this shit and the murderer has escaped. Well, time to kill the bitch, I'll deal with him later. But just when I got out of the city, that dumbfuck attacks me, without any conversation option. That confirms his guilty, I guess. Then I get to the whore's lair, draw my steel and.... fuck, a conversation. AND I CANNOT FUCKING KILL THAT MONSTER. What's this shit? Where's my freedom? Where's the witcher's justice? I remember how satisfied I felt when I killed both the vamps and the corrupt guards in Wyzima; why can't I destroy what has to be destroyed here? Why do I have to choose among the murderer's or the devil's way? Where's the witcher's way (kill everything)? Very wrong written quest. I hope nothing like this happens again in The Witcher 3.

The witcher's way is not to "kill everything", but is to remain neutral, which may or may not include killing everything, the latter being preferable. Or rather, that's Geralt's way - witchers generally prefer to stay neutral, but that is not always the case. They have their freedom to pick sides if they want, but since pretty much nobody likes them and just aims to treat them as powerful tools and assets - rather than treat them like people - most choose to remain neutral.
In any case, to paraphrase a part from the book, the greatest price is the price of neutrality - and neutrality is often impossible. That quest aimed to show that witcher cannot always remain neutral (not including just stepping down and not doing the assignment) and is sometimes forced to pick sides, as is often the case in the books, as well as in the games. I do agree with you, however, that it could have been slightly better designed.

IIRC, it's both the succubus' and elf's fault - elf is committing murders out of jealousy, while succubus is doing what is in her nature. Since it is impossible to actually bring the elf to justice, because he ambushes you, killing him is the only option - this part of the quest was okay. However, not being able to kill succubus after that - yeah, that was some bad design. If Geralt was able to kill her after killing the elf, it would've been way better and more natural - on the other hand though, I imagine that would mark the quest as failure - since you have no actual proof to give to Iorveth and there is no succubus to reward you.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
CDP just confirmed that witcher 3 has online drm activation during install where you need to download a file haha

norolim

Arcane
Yes there are other options in combat besides rolling... thats nothing new.
The problem is that rolling is clearly the best and optimal choice - and it costs nothing - so you have to actively avoid using a big game feature in order to have a better time.
We'll have to wait and see how this works. So far, in most let's plays I've seen, roll-spamming ended in gruesome death, so...

Mhmm, sure thing. Amazing how they never came out and just said so during all this time. And it wouldnt made any big difference.
They've been talking about the few loading screens for at least 1.5 years. I don't remember before that.

Besides, none of those areas are sooo geographically far apart or separated that it would make sense to separate them by loading screens - IF the intent was to make one seamless area, which is what the claimed and claimed and claimed many time over.
They are far apart. Reaching them on horse/boat would take too long to make sense in a game. Kaer Morhen is hunderds of kilometres away from Novigrad. Skellige Islands are in open sea. Not far from the main continent in terms of general world distances, but far enough to make real time travel too long for a game.

Just out of curiosity, what continents are we talking about in the TW3 here? Skellige islands are not a continent and i dont see any different continents on the world map either.

You're correct. There is only one continent.

Fuck, i didn't know the CE would be that big. I'm glad i got it.

Divinity: Original Sin
pLyuW63.jpg

Fuck, i didn't know the CE would be that big. I'm glad i didn't get it.

I'm fucked. I see i'll have to give my kidneys to pay import taxes. I already had to pay for my pillars of eternity box, no way there's chance that box will sneak up federal customs...

Fuck it anyway.

.Edit:

And I thought the pillars of eternity box was big.

hiver

Yes there are other options in combat besides rolling... thats nothing new.
The problem is that rolling is clearly the best and optimal choice - and it costs nothing - so you have to actively avoid using a big game feature in order to have a better time.
We'll have to wait and see how this works. So far, in most let's plays I've seen, roll-spamming ended in gruesome death, so...
Why would roll spamming result in gruesome death?
Its only that whoever played sucks at playing, its not rolling fault.

Regardless, obviously if the rolling depleted stamina so much that you could do it two or three times during a fight it would be much better.
Naturally, with few potions or leveling up-skill points that could affect and improve that for those that want it.

Then we could nicely combine different dodging moves, signs,potions and stuff.

Mhmm, sure thing. Amazing how they never came out and just said so during all this time. And it wouldnt made any big difference.
They've been talking about the few loading screens for at least 1.5 years. I don't remember before that.[/QUOTE]
I had a big screaming fanbois fiesta in this very thread about it all, some pages back.
What i meant with that sentence is to say how they never came out and clarified that their design or plans had changed.

Not that they never mentioned having some loading of separate areas.

Anyway, all of it was completely unnecessary.

Besides, none of those areas are sooo geographically far apart or separated that it would make sense to separate them by loading screens - IF the intent was to make one seamless area, which is what the claimed and claimed and claimed many time over.
They are far apart. Reaching them on horse/boat would take too long to make sense in a game. Kaer Morhen is hunderds of kilometres away from Novigrad. Skellige Islands are in open sea. Not far from the main continent in terms of general world distances, but far enough to make real time travel too long for a game.
If you look at some videos you an see Kaehr Moren is visible on the map, in the north in the mountains. The pic i posted shows the rest because you have to scroll the map a bit which is just enough to move the Kaehr Moren out of view.
There are clearly roads and forests drawn on the map in between it and the rest, just as its the case with the rest of the bigger settlements.

So... if that is actually not a traverasable area then... is the rest?

Skellige islands dont seem that far from the mainland, but regardless - there is no need for completely realistic distances since the game doesnt have any anyway.
But im not arguing for a single map. Im fine with it all being split into several zones. Each is obviously huge and big enough and completely open which is fine as far as im concerned.

I just dont see any need for any kind of "realism" excuses.

Im actually eagerly awaiting the game. I hated the horrible gameplay in the videos and im looking forward to trying to play it properly, slowly, riding around only in canter and stuff.

Will they give any kind of editor for the game this time too?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom