Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Some footage. Combat seems to be largely witcher 2 like, rolling around like a Goron and hitting shit with your sword before rolling away again. >.>

No one will be forcing you to keep rolling. There are other moves you can use to dodge. Have a look at someone more competent fighting a high level opponent.

Main problem I have is not the fact you have to dodge out of the way one way or another, that's completely fine in my opinion, however how swordsponge the opponents are, that's very annoying. Why can't they just make the combat more lethal in every sense with both Geralt and his opponents dying fast (unless they are some sort of giant monster), it would make things much more fun and interesting, having to dodge out of the way would make more sense too and overall the combat would fit the theme of the game rather than mismatch of this grimdark environment and arcade combat.

Beowulf

Arcane
Main problem I have is not the fact you have to dodge out of the way one way or another, that's completely fine in my opinion, however how swordsponge the opponents are, that's very annoying. Why can't they just make the combat more lethal in every sense with both Geralt and his opponents dying fast (unless they are some sort of giant monster), it would make things much more fun and interesting, having to dodge out of the way would make more sense too and overall the combat would fit the theme of the game rather than mismatch of this grimdark environment and arcade combat.

:bro:

"But the players need to feel that progression", you will be able to one-slash the regular thugs on higher levels (but then again, there will be new slash-sponges) - I sincerely hope I will be proven wrong by W3.

Also, why can't anyone make a decent game, in which in the end-game phase you are not a living demi-god able to turn cities to rubble just by rising your left eyebrow (right one for conservatives), and being oh so much more powerful then 20-100 hours before, when you were struggling to hit a rat?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Eh, i guess you're supposed to wait till you find the best mutagens (+ 5% to critical effects, + 15 vitality lol), but that pretty much means you'll benefit from their effects somwhere in the fourth act, which is bullshit. Let's be honest, character progression in Witcher games was always crap, especially in TW2.

Mutagens can be very useful if you take the talent that improves them, the one that gives 10% chance to happen during alchemy (just make a lot of bombs or something, they'll pop out) and if you stack same type ones depending on the build you're going for (power, critical effects etc.), don't mix them or you'll barely notice effects. IIRC you could almost double your damage output using just normal power mutagens (all those +% damage skills apply to them as well) depending on how many mutagen slots you have.

Tytus

Arcane
I'm loving those Tirangles!

e6993da.jpg

Beowulf

Arcane
Not necessarily. It may as well mean that there will not be a talkative elf NPC behind every tree.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I saw a bunch of Squirrels the other day.
Nasty creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.
Right.
Sod off.
Good bye.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Mutagens can be very useful if you take the talent that improves them, the one that gives 10% chance to happen during alchemy (just make a lot of bombs or something, they'll pop out) and if you stack same type ones depending on the build you're going for (power, critical effects etc.), don't mix them or you'll barely notice effects. IIRC you could almost double your damage output using just normal power mutagens (all those +% damage skills apply to them as well) depending on how many mutagen slots you have.
Pretty sure I saw some 1-hit-bosskiller vids based on mutagen builds. The damage formula uses some strange logic.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Pretty sure I saw some 1-hit-bosskiller vids based on mutagen builds. The damage formula uses some strange logic.

Yeah, that's more or less the build I usually roll with (with some modifications so that it doesn't end up super overpowered). In addition to power mutagens and improving potion effects talent what really seems to let damage go out of control is +% damage when "poisoned" talents which is a somewhat lousy translation as poisoned in this case means being under the effect of any potion whatsoever (even if you're just on swallow/healing potion Geralt starts doing Hulk damage, let alone when you use damage enhancing potions). I have no idea about the exact formula but alchemy tree definitely wasn't playtested enough (I doubt they intended for you to be able to one hit bosses).

Problem with this build is that it can glitch a certain multi-stage boss fight because you can do too much damage too quickly.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Meh, it should be the other way around, since Yen is older and more experienced :smug:

Not really. Triss is obviously summarizing the first two Witcher games for Yennefer who was out of the loop. She's also doing a pretty good job.

Fair enough, but Yen shouldn't really be blushing. She should be more like "been there, done that".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom