Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You implied it.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
As long as the potion buff duration isn't short enough that this sort of shit below happens, I'm okay with that.

Yeah, potion timer not being stopped during cutscenes is one of the dumber Witcher 2 design decisions. That said, whomever is playing this makes Letho look waaay harder than he actually is.

Perkel

Arcane
As long as the potion buff duration isn't short enough that this sort of shit below happens, I'm okay with that.

Yeah, potion timer not being stopped during cutscenes is one of the dumber Witcher 2 design decisions. That said, whomever is playing this makes Letho look waaay harder than he actually is.

Well in 1.0 on hard only really good way to kill him was basically Quen + roll like motherfucker with occasional jab.

hiver

I mean, any game will look bad, when a complete idiot tries to play it. On the other hand, I agree that there should be a Stamina penalty for rolling. And I'm hoping there is one on Hard difficulty.
My point was that cdprojekt is designing the game precisely for those kinds of players, as they explained themselves recently.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Well in 1.0 on hard only really good way to kill him was basically Quen + roll like motherfucker with occasional jab.

Man, I don't remember it being any different (and I'm pretty sure I played the game on release), maybe even slightly easier because Quen wasn't yet nerfed at the time. Aard followed by two heavy attacks while he's staggered or roll behind him and hit him with a heavy attack to his back when he's about to attack you with his sword, rinse and repeat.

I'm not saying this to come off as some hardcore action games player or something (I don't even play stuff like Dark Souls and similar) but the only part that was ever really difficult in Witcher 2 for me was prologue the very first time I've played the game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Beard physics in action

elxZ8L7.gif

Divinity: Original Sin
But there MIGHT be some player who couldnt handle it while he doesnt pay any attention to what he is dooooing!
Yeah, like this one:

I mean, any game will look bad, when a complete idiot tries to play it. On the other hand, I agree that there should be a Stamina penalty for rolling. And I'm hoping there is one on Hard difficulty.

WTF. The guy is terrible and it's worse if you understand what's he saying...

hiver

Yes there are other options in combat besides rolling... thats nothing new.
The problem is that rolling is clearly the best and optimal choice - and it costs nothing - so you have to actively avoid using a big game feature in order to have a better time. While you will need to use it because the combat is set up like that.

here comes the hype?

great white hype?

hey look, at 38:40-ish Charles Dance hates video games.

And he fucking got divorced because his wife was addicted to WoW.

Imagine that...

what an actor, eh?

bonescraper

So, this is how the world is supposedly structured.

lYqlEZi.jpg

+ Kaer Morhen

hiver

Thats not really any kind of a problem. I only mentioned previously that they lied about game having no loading screens whatsoever - which they did at the start of the pR for the game.
And they made same and similar lies abuot w2.

But the fact itself that there will be some loading isnt bad at all. Lying about it is.

hiver

If the game is good i dont see whats the problem with it.

They obviously wanted to go for Skyrim audience, those sweet 10 million + copies, but to do it in such a retarded way is just pathetic. Not to mention a proof of that you cant trust what they say about anything, before seeing it for yourself.

bonescraper

Thats not really any kind of a problem. I only mentioned previously that they lied about game having no loading screens whatsoever - which they did at the start of the pR for the game.
And they made same and similar lies abuot w2.

But the fact itself that there will be some loading isnt bad at all. Lying about it is.
They actually kept adding more areas during development, and there are loading screens only because some areas you visit are geographically separated, so i wouldn't say they were lying. Or at least, it wasn't ill-intentioned.

hiver

Mhmm, sure thing. Amazing how they never came out and just said so during all this time. And it wouldnt made any big difference.

Besides, none of those areas are sooo geographically far apart or separated that it would make sense to separate them by loading screens - IF the intent was to make one seamless area, which is what the claimed and claimed and claimed many time over.

bonescraper

Soon we'll see how they implemented this. Have you played GTA V? GTA V doesn't have a single loading screen, but there are 2 separate maps, the main San Andreas island (faux-California), and a small town called North Yankton near the Canadian border. At one point during the story, you're supposed to go to North Yankton, and the transition is presented in a short cutscene where you board a plane and fly off. It's completely seamless, since modern games are filled with cutscenes ayway. Especially games like The Witcher, where even conversations are presented in cinematic form. So here's my point, your brain doesn't even register the "loading screen" in GTAV, it's so seamless. So, in the end it all boils down to how you call it.

On the other hand, GTA V is pretty linear, so you only go to North Yankton once. It's a different thing if you have to travel back and forth often...

You go to North Yankton twice, but GTA V has loading screens if you replay a mission. And there's lots of loading hiding by cutscenes, but they're usually very fast and you can skipe then after 1-2 seconds.

But Since the beginning I imagined the witcher 3 would feature that loading between areas, and by no loading screens I aways understood they were comparing itself with elderscrolls series when you had cells loading all the time, and interiors being separate from exteriors.

If they promise no loading screen at all, that wouldn't be actually true if the game still had the initial loading screen, the one you get just after launching the game.

Another benefit of having separate big maps is making the country/continent look like it's really big, and not a big farm area like cyrodiil is.

hiver

I already said i dont give a damn about whether there are some loading screens or separation between areas. That makes no difference to me one way or the other. All i care about is if the game will be good or not, not if its in one huge fucking area or several of them.
- Personally i would actually go for several big areas rather then one seamless "world" because it has many advantages, some mentioned by Darth Slaughter above. -

I do not like being lied to. Especially in such retarded stupid manner and for those idiotic reasons. I said that already. Do i need to repeat it several more times?

-
that gopher is fallout 3 fan... bethesda modder he calls himself... ffs...
i hated that fuck from the first second i heard that false faux way of talking.

19:50-ish talk about how there is no objectively bad things...

Vault Dweller your friends are calling you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking about lies, when it was revealed that there would be separate maps? And did they kept making the promise of no loading times?

In any case, it would be cool if the load times were instantaneous between these "worlds"...

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
When they realized a 10-hour boat ride from Novigrad to Skellige is not fun, just tedious. Or they could place the two continents in walking distance of eachother but that would be herp derp.

Atomkilla

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that early on they promised several big areas with loading between them, the actual content within those areas being without any loading at all. Then again, it's highly possible that they had said the game would feature no loading time before that.

As for the fact CDPR is lying, that's hardly surprising. Even though I personally enjoyed most of TW2, the marketing for that game was a fuckton of lies. They promised us 100 hours of gameplay, I believe? Yeah, right. You could finish a playthrough while doing every available quest in about 30 hours. Didn't they also promise more space for exploration, more monsters, and well...more everything than TW1?
Fuck no, that didn't happen. It is true that TW1 went overboard at some places (endless monster grind comes to mind), but that game at least felt big and motivated exploration and questing. In TW2, you're basically just going through the main story. Very few side quests are actually fulfilling or rewarding in any way.

But I digress. Point is, CDPR is, like any developer/publisher out there, a liar and an asshole at marketing. Hardly a big surprise. Everybody who has been even tangentially involved with gaming industry should know by now to take everything with a grain of salt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom