Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

WhiteGuts

Arcane
It's actually an interesting system: you spend points on skills from 4 categories on the left and then "equip" the skills you got in the slots on the right. This means you will be able to build various sets of skills but will have to make choices concerning what exactly you want to use at a given time. And according to the devs, you won't event get close to maxing everything by the time you finish the game - you'll have to choose your expertise field or suffer from jack of all trades master of none syndrome.

Also each category seems to have 5 subcategories. Sounds interesting.

bonescraper

I have to admit that just by looking at it I have no fucking idea how you develop your skills in TW3 - a complete and utter clusterfuck of an UI.
This time they copied Diablo 3 when it comes to game systems. You can have a lot of skills, but you must choose 12 of them for your build. And i guess mutagens somehow boost them, but i have no idea how they work yet. Anyway, it's looking better than TW2, but i'm sure it's going to be meh in the end anyway, unless they actually came up with something better than +5% to all critical effects, +15 to vitality etc.

And according to the devs, you won't event get close to maxing everything by the time you finish the game - you'll have to choose your expertise field or suffer from jack of all trades master of none syndrome.
I'm not that sure about that. The base game is capped at level 60 (but shrines can give you additional skill points, as shown in the last video posted in this thread), but with both expansions you'll be able to reach level 100. That's a lot of skill points, bro.

Hegel

Arcane
Just saw the trailer and I have a question. Is there any romanceable companion? Will we be able to plow that fair and ashen haired maiden? I need to know, it's important.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have to admit that just by looking at it I have no fucking idea how you develop your skills in TW3 - a complete and utter clusterfuck of an UI.

Yeah, the older talent trees have at least sense of visual progression. This one looks out of place by comparison.

made

Arcane
Just saw the trailer and I have a question. Is there any romanceable companion? Will we be able to plow that fair and ashen haired maiden? I need to know, it's important.
She's Geralt's daughter... kinda.
That's the basic premise of the story. When Yennefer finds out that Geralt has an affair with their adopted daughter she is furious and the lovers must flee the terrible wrath of the scorned sorceress. Thus begins an epic adventure that will put their fragile love to the test.

Hegel

Arcane
Yennefer is unromanceable, no sane man would pick her over Triss or Geralt's daughter.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hands off Ciri, I want her pure and bloodthirsty as a sister of battle.
a12.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It was acutally the same in TW2. Rolling was used to not get buttfucked by many enemies, riposte was much more useful in other situations.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
It was acutally the same in TW2. Rolling was used to not get buttfucked by many enemies, riposte was much more useful in other situations.

Riposte was useful in those parts where you're forced to control other characters (that can't roll and use signs). Other than that, rolling was outright superior and easily beat everything while Riposte was somewhat clumsily implemented and had limited use, dodging seem to be a much better alternative (to rolling) in Witcher 3 from what I've seen.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Riposte was useful in those parts where you're forced to control other characters (that can't roll and use signs). Other than that, rolling was outright superior and easily beat everything while Riposte was somewhat clumsily implemented and had limited use, dodging seem to be a much better alternative (to rolling) in Witcher 3 from what I've seen.

Dodging made you vulnerable to other attacks, you were invincible while riposting, did higher damage and had a chance to instakill your opponents. Why the heck would you roll unless your stamina was depleted.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
vonAchdorf Thanks!

Is that small island with a dragon to the left the small colony in Witcher 2?

Edit:

Or maybe no. That city was built next to a river I think

vonAchdorf

Arcane
vonAchdorf Thanks!

Is that small island with a dragon to the left the small colony in Witcher 2?

Edit:

Or maybe no. That city was built next to a river I think

TW2 locations would be east of Vizima outside of the map. The map above isn't really in scale and more schematic to highlight the important locations. E.g. the Pontar valley where TW2 took place, extends way to the East and doesn't originate north or Vizima.

latest

Last edited:

norolim

Arcane
The only W2 location on that map is La Valette from the Prologue. If you follow the river down the map from Oxenfurt (rus. Оксенфурт) the orange fort where the river forks should be La Valette.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom