Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Enemies having stamina and getting tired is a definite incline as far as I'm concerned. It always annoyed me how blocking drained Geralt's stamina while even pitchfork wielding rabble could block all day long (sword attacks from witcher no less).

It would add another tactical layer if you can rope-a-dope opponents using Geralt's superior fitness.

Athelas

Arcane
AK-616 asked:
Is there any animation "drinking potions"?

No - having this during combat totally breaks the flow of the experience we want you to have. It's fast, it's challenging, you need to cast a spell, use an item, slice, etc. etc. - no room for "wait you guys, let me play my drinking animations”, AI would not care and totally own you.
tumblr_n6aywaluX51rtlxfao1_1280.gif

bonescraper

punch a cow in the face
That's just wrong, man D:
I remember being pretty impressed when Aard could destroy background barrels in Witcher 1. Not that it was any kind of impressive physics display or had any kind of gameplay impact, but it looked cool and was unexpected, especially for a modified Aurora engine.

They really got a lot out of that engine considering the age. They must have done some extremely heavy modification.
They did. The areas were 3-4 times bigger than any level in KotOR or NWN2. And Witcher 1 still looks pretty good today (the animations are shit though).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enemies having stamina and getting tired is a definite incline as far as I'm concerned. It always annoyed me how blocking drained Geralt's stamina while even pitchfork wielding rabble could block all day long (sword attacks from witcher no less).

It would add another tactical layer if you can rope-a-dope opponents using Geralt's superior fitness.
Agreed, although now it will feel wrong that blocking uses up stamina while attacking does not. But I guess it would not really be viable to put Dark Souls like stamina system in a game where you occasionally fight hordes of monsters and combat needs to be fast paced.

hiver

AK-616 asked:

No - having this during combat totally breaks the flow of the experience we want you to have. It's fast, it's challenging, you need to cast a spell, use an item, slice, etc. etc. - no room for "wait you guys, let me play my drinking animations”, AI would not care and totally own you.
And?

Wouldn't that teach the players not to drink potions in the middle of combat?

So instead the "flow of experience" is clicking on insta-potions now ?

Lhynn

Arcane
It's too bad Tit Witcher is not a crpg but an arpg. Also too bad the quest design, C&C, and dialogue was mediocre to poor in the first two games.
Havent played the witcher games, but can you tell me why they are so poor? i was under the impression they they were very good at this.
Perkel said so.

Athelas

Arcane
AK-616 asked:

And?

??? You can drink potions in Dark Souls in mid-combat. You can get interrupted while drinking a potion, and you can interrupt humanoid enemies who are capable of drinking potions.

hiver

Of course you can. Interrupted, damaged, hit critically.... all sane and common sense things to happen that would actually improve gameplay.
This is obviously another stupid contrived design for casual target audience.

Of course if I was doing it then drinking potions would still be something you mostly do before the battles, and a big part of a wholly different meditation mechanic, because that would be more fitting for the Witcher game, but we cant have someone crying they drank a wrong potion because they werent paying attention to the game while playing it, can we?

- wasnt arguing against you athelas, just commenting on the quote and the stupid pr shit expressed in it.
If someone is so godamn stupid to go and drink potions in the middle of combat while the enemies can reach him then they should be hit, critted and killed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
AK-616 asked:

And?

??? You can drink potions in Dark Souls in mid-combat. You can get interrupted while drinking a potion, and you can interrupt humanoid enemies who are capable of drinking potions.

yeah but potions in DS or generally healing mid combat is fucking stupid idea that only detracts from game design point of view. Frankly potion smashing is on the same shelf as AI cheating. You run away and you drink potion because AI can't predict it and handle it well.

hiver

i thought athelas was just making an example of a similar action game that does it but keeps sensible consequences .... but maybe i was giving too much credit there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
It's too bad Tit Witcher is not a crpg but an arpg. Also too bad the quest design, C&C, and dialogue was mediocre to poor in the first two games.
Havent played the witcher games, but can you tell me why they are so poor? i was under the impression they they were very good at this.
Perkel said so.

Don't believe him,the dialogue is quite interesting most of the time and it's nothing like the fillery garbage dialogue from Pillars or Wasteland.The C&C were quite mundane in the first game,there was nothing major like in the Witcher 2, where one choice could change your entire playthrough.
I agree with the quest design being pretty bland,it's the usual ''Go there,do that,come back''.
W1 and W2 are good games,great atmosphere and music(especialy in witcher 1) but the terrible combat really ruined the mood.Rollicher 2 was not ''that'' bad ,but the first one was beyond pathetic...wonder what went through their mine when they made it.

Cromwell

Arcane
AK-616 asked:

And?

yeah but potions in DS or generally healing mid combat is fucking stupid idea that only detracts from game design point of view. Frankly potion smashing is on the same shelf as AI cheating. You run away and you drink potion because AI can't predict it and handle it well.

which is why I liked the swallow potion. You go in prepared with whatever you thought was necessary and you just have to concentrate on staying alive. If it doesnt work you either had to think about other strategies or you just sucked at fighting. there was just no need to change the potion system from the first game. They lasted long enough that you could prepare beforehand and worked in a way that it wasnt necessary to drink mid combat.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just finished TW2. Man, that was an awful video game.

witcher2%202015-05-05%2023-48-12-10.jpg

I hope they address the issues in this game. Fuck sake. That was one of the worst action RPG I've ever played.

RK47

Patron
Fuck, it's midnight and i'm too angry at the game and now i can't sleep.
Fuck. I must eat something.
I must consume it.
And destroy it.
Some rape doujins to vent.
And i shall extinguish the rage to enable sleep.
yes. yes.
Move quickly.

TNOchan

Novice
Afaik some enemies like Pursuer have counter-cheating in form of input-reading of potion use, so that unless you are like ridiculously far from him he will fuck you up before you finished your drink.

abija

Prophet
Why would an aggresive enemy like Pursuer need to do input reading? He is relentlessly attacking most of the time anyway, just need to time the potions same way you time your attacks, when he is locked in animations.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Agreed, although now it will feel wrong that blocking uses up stamina while attacking does not.

Yeah, it would be pretty badass if you could dodge blows until the enemy got tired and then finished him off. Hell, GoT is extremely popular, they could have showcased the system with Geralt doing a Bronn to some heavy armored knight.

But I guess it would not really be viable to put Dark Souls like stamina system in a game where you occasionally fight hordes of monsters and combat needs to be fast paced.

It would have made fighting a large group of weaker monsters more interesting if you'd have to manage stamina and pace yourself, take some of the trash out of trash combat. Could have made it optional if they're scared of alienating some of the more casual crowd.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I hope they address the issues in this game. Fuck sake. That was one of the worst action RPG I've ever played.

Did you hate everything about it? Or just shitty combat?

Please do a let's play similar to your DA:I video series.

RK47

Patron

just the combat. It was basically THE game and they totally failed to grab me, the graphic, setting and somewhat interesting lore kept me from abandoning it.
But honestly, it's a bad game.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

Yeah, play again thoroughly to be sure you didn't like it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Ang

Novice
HairWorks and HBAO+

dAPRmBk.jpg

r6Xg588.jpg

nNg6YQJ.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom