Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I Polygon for real? I meam seriously, right now they exist only to provide big devs with street creed. Everyone shitting on us for downgrades? Let's make Polygon call us racists and mysogynists, that will make us opponents of leftists and cool with gamers once again. At this point Polygon serves the role of Youtube trolls for the opposite site. Anita is cool for the feminists because she's opressed by mysogynistic trolls, CD Projekt is cool for the gamers because they are opressed by leftist journalists.
I mean right now if I was making a game I'd want nothing else than for Polygon to call it racists and homophobic.
Dude it's all about publicity and controversy for their site,polygon doesn't give a shit about feminists,gays or whatever the fuck they keep blabering on their stupid articles.That's how you get a horde of idiots to click on your articles,just make some cringe worthy ''accusations'' and let the dumb fucks eat each other in the comments.
Nothing sells like controversy....

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I want to see that in more games. Two guards bump into eachother and stand there shouting for the other to move... forever. You come back six months later in game time and the town is clogged with guards shouting at eachother to move. Trade is disrupted, the economy crashes, everyone dies.

That's basically how things in Poland are, so it's not too unrealistic.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I just brofisted ERYFKRAD. I'm confused.

Who brofists the brofister?

About NPCs in games: it baffles me that a game made in 1992 got it better than any other big rpg made after it. Especially when Ultima 7 was AAA on its day, with Origin being praised by both fans and press and with the Devil's Company watching it all from behind. And it didn't really made it complex: NPCs would wake up, do their chores, say a thing or two, eat something, and then go to sleep. Rinse and repeat. I do think this is more believable than having a gal popping out of nowhere telling you how she likes to hunt in this mountain or valley or whatever. You don't need a whole backstory to make an NPC relevant to the game; in Fallout 1, a ghoul at Necropolis could tell you about their water problem and their leader Seth without even opening the dialogue interface. If we go back to NPCs with normal day to day routines, we would make something more credible than having a guy standing there, waiting for the PC to talk to him.

Yeah but to be fair witcher 3 probably has more named npcs than fallout 1 has unnamed ones. Worldbuilding can still be strong without unnamed npcs lorebombing your ass if there is enough worldbuilding content elsewhere.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
It's always funny to watch pr people dance around the truth. The insider in this article is more straightforward though:
http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

We just did not have the manpower, budget or the console power to produce the vision we intended before the consoles were released to create a more visually stunning game of higher fidelity like 2013 assets. The PCs themselves had more than enough power to achieve this vision, almost certainly. But working on the game across 3 platforms did not make it feasible to keep features included that could potentially break the game as we kept building around it. All the 2013 trailers were actually in-game footage (not prerendered or vertical slices) but essentially just not an entirely finished world running on a high-end PC at the time.

Moral of the story: consoles - making your games look like shit since forever.

Ofc that 2013 stuff was in-game footage but it also had to be rendered (ie frames recorded, postprocessed, edited with titles and music by marketing to put on YT for multiple most anticipated awards purposes).
Also the game had probably no streaming implemented yet - the thing that makes open world actually open so you can walk from one end of the map to the other.
I bet 2 years ago the devs in order to play the city quests had to load the entire city into RAM, now it just loads like 100-200 meters of the surrounding area and removes the rest from memory - the reason why fast traveling in every game equals loading screen).

Streaming is the thing responsible for the shadows and grass disappear to in the distance, for the level of detail decreasing on the far roofs and water in the city, for the empty eye sockets on faces while the camera has very long lens during the cutscene, for the trees poping in and out while running through the forest etc. But everyone wants open world so it's as good as it gets.

No shadows on grass looks like shit though. That's probably consoles. Hopefully HBAO or some .ini hacking will fix it.

cfisher2833

Learned
Time.com has some impressions. In true codexian fashion, I will only quote the negative:

Time.com said:
the world’s also stuffed with vacuous nobodies

Cities and towns are choked with citizenry going about their scripted business, and you can chat with any of them. Trouble is, almost no one has much more than a catchphrase to work with. Wander through a village and you’ll be assaulted by “talk” prompts, but tap to do so and you’ll be treated to a barrage of boilerplate-isms: “Yes?” “Erhm?” “Step away.” “Nordling?” “Hm?” “What do you want?” “Tidings from Vizima?” Et cetera.

Conversational window dressing just wastes precious time in ginormous games like this. Better to disable that level of interactivity outright and let the ambulatory props shuffle through their subroutines. Save talking for situations that involve actual talking, in other words.

I happen to fucking like conversational window dressing. The lack of it was one of the most annoying elements in that shitty as fuck new Dragon Age (don't worry--pirated it). Apparently this guy didn't know one of the fundamental laws of RPG: if they don't have a real name and are named something like "guard" or "villager," they're not fucking important and you should feel bad for not realizing this after having talked to the fifth guard and having gotten the same replies.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Watches Twitch during lunch hour...
PS4 Stream... http://www.twitch.tv/hamoood909

Corvus: that loading time
Corvus: some things never change for playstation
RK47: fuck sake
RK47: the loading time
RK47: HAHAHAHA
RK47: i can make coffee by now
RK47: fuck
RK47: brb
Corvus: you'd think after 4 iterations sony could improve that
Corvus: or maybe I haven't played consoles in so long they're all like that
RK47: ok im back
RK47: AHAHAHAHHAHA
RK47: WHAT
RK47: THE
RK47: FUCK
Corvus: amazing
Corvus: i'm gonna get a twix

You're a mexican asian

Who cares

ArchAngel

Arcane

About NPCs in games: it baffles me that a game made in 1992 got it better than any other big rpg made after it. Especially when Ultima 7 was AAA on its day, with Origin being praised by both fans and press and with the Devil's Company watching it all from behind. And it didn't really made it complex: NPCs would wake up, do their chores, say a thing or two, eat something, and then go to sleep. Rinse and repeat. I do think this is more believable than having a gal popping out of nowhere telling you how she likes to hunt in this mountain or valley or whatever. You don't need a whole backstory to make an NPC relevant to the game; in Fallout 1, a ghoul at Necropolis could tell you about their water problem and their leader Seth without even opening the dialogue interface. If we go back to NPCs with normal day to day routines, we would make something more credible than having a guy standing there, waiting for the PC to talk to him.

Yeah but to be fair witcher 3 probably has more named npcs than fallout 1 has unnamed ones. Worldbuilding can still be strong without unnamed npcs lorebombing your ass if there is enough worldbuilding content elsewhere.
They don't need to lore bomb you, just pretend they are not just a moving computer code wrapped in nice graphics. They just need to immerse you for a little while before you move on.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

They don't need to lore bomb you, just pretend they are not just a moving computer code wrapped in nice graphics. They just need to immerse you for a little while before you move on.

You do realise that what you want costs a lot moneyz and The Witcher 3 budget was quite tight for a AAA game.If you want do bitch at someone,bitch at Bethseda and EA where they invest 50-100 mils in their games and are more lifeless than a potato.

Perkel

Arcane

Hope they target that style with full witcher movie Platine Image is doing.
I'd rather see CGI movie that would not shy away from FX that doesn't look like real life than to see live action version with FX that will use up whole budget before half of movie is done.

MasPingon

Arcane

I'd rather see CGI movie that would not shy away from FX that doesn't look like real life than to see live action version with FX that will use up whole budget before half of movie is done.

Just wow, that was great. I hope that's the direction Bagiński is going with full movie.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, I'm sure Geralt would live that long if he passed out after every monster he kills. It makes as much sense as the shit CDP put in the games.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

:lol:

so witchers have now acid for blood:retarded: what the fuck am i watching? TW1 intro> TW2 intro > TW3 intro:M

Black blood potion.

"In the distant past, mages working with witchers developed this potion specifically for use in fighting cemetery and crypt dwellers that drink the blood or eat the innards of their still living victims. Witchers use Black Blood unwillingly because the potion only works when a monster begins to feast on their body. Their transmuted blood proves to be a deadly drink."

so witchers have now acid for blood:retarded: what the fuck am i watching? TW1 intro> TW2 intro > TW3 intro:M

Black blood potion.

"In the distant past, mages working with witchers developed this potion specifically for use in fighting cemetery and crypt dwellers that drink the blood or eat the innards of their still living victims. Witchers use Black Blood unwillingly because the potion only works when a monster begins to feast on their body. Their transmuted blood proves to be a deadly drink."

is that shit from the books?

Gerrard

Arcane
No, I am pretty sure that falls under "shit CDP put in the games", because why the fuck wouldn't the vampire just kill he witcher if it ever got in the position to feed on him?

By the way, that potion was fucking useless.

Last edited:

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron

Just wow, that was great. I hope that's the direction Bagiński is going with full movie.

guys Platige Image with Baginski as Director are making live - action movie, not CGI

source

Perkel

Arcane

Correction it was studio Detim or something like that not Platine. Those are the guys behind ubisoft CGIs.
CDPR going full AAA i see if they can afford it...

MasPingon

Arcane

Black blood potion.

I can't remember if Sapkowski wrote "The Witcher alchemy - all potions they use, so you'll know".

Perkel

Arcane

Black blood potion.

correct

Not really. Though it is probably inspired by one scene in books.

No, I am pretty sure that falls under "shit CDP put in the games", because why the fuck wouldn't the vampire just kill he witcher if it ever got in the position to feed on him?

Because of black blood potion. Changes witcher blood so that is lethal to vampires and other bloodsuckers. Also he passed out because of her toxins when she bite him at the end of video where he wanted to put her head on spike.

Black blood potion.

I can't remember if Sapkowski wrote "The Witcher alchemy - all potions they use, so you'll know".

but i do remember Sapkowski writting "The Witcher magic - all signs they use, so you`ll know" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) He also wrote "the Witcher combat - we dont use ranged weapons so you`ll know"

MasPingon

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom