Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DeepOcean

Arcane
Nobody cried Monstergeny! yet?

Zeriel

Arcane
Reviews seem to be suggesting the combat is easier than #2. Not sure I how I feel about that, since I just played through #2 and the combat and general difficulty was basically a complete roll-over on the hardest setting (Dark). I guess the marketing gods must be placated at all costs...

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
Trailer done by Digic Pictures. Same guys from the previous one with the Griffin. Amazing Hungarians :)
BTW - Does the eyeliner that Geralt started to wear remind you of another character? If yes then
1786117-2011_05_18_00003.jpg

this suddenly became meta on so many levels. (Digic does all those ass creed cinematics)

Zeriel

Arcane
Trailer done by Digic Pictures. Same guys from the previous one with the Griffin. Amazing Hungarians :)
BTW - Does the eyeliner that Geralt started to wear remind you of another character? If yes then

this suddenly became meta on so many levels. (Digic does all those ass creed cinematics)

Hahahah holy shit, I don't know how I missed this. I mean, I saw it, just didn't put it all together. I was wondering why he had a line about some random person being dead, just thought it was a peasant in a dress.

Old Hans

Arcane
That trailer was good. Of course in game it will just be " I was over leveled and killed like 7 Bruxa with my crossbow"

Zeriel

Arcane
That trailer was good. Of course in game it will just be " I was over leveled and killed like 7 Bruxa with my crossbow"

Or "I was underleveled, so I threw bombs at it repeatedly until it died, taking 0 damage."

Geralt, bombmaker of ISIS and sometimes Witcher.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hahahah holy shit, I don't know how I missed this. I mean, I saw it, just didn't put it all together. I was wondering why he had a line about some random person being dead, just thought it was a peasant in a dress.

This really cracked me, when I encountered it. Geralt even drops a line when passing by, something like "they never learn"... :D

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
This really cracked me, when I encountered it. Geralt even drops a line when passing by, something like "they never learn"... :D

It was this. :lol: I also like the LOTR reference, but it was too simple for my taste.

There was also 'Najzdup' reference in the box fight. Backwards it is 'Pudzian' from Pudzianowski, Mariusz. One of most famous potato strongman.

Riot Pixels, russian gaming site (somewhat popular among our PC crowd) reviewed PS4 version of Witcher 3 and gave it 95/100 score. Granted, its author is a mix of our Volourn and Skyway (for example, he gave DA2 90/100 score), so his opinion doesn't amount to much.

Among pros he lists huge gaming world, says that even secondary quests mostly aren't FedEX ones (unlike in DA:I) and have meaningful outcomes and multiple C&C. Also notes that game's locations visual design is sometimes really pretty, though PS4 version have some graphic issues with blurry textures and AA. Generally likes combat, but says that RPG system is disappointing (kinda unclear why is it so disappointing to him, he says that game has too few points and you can't max all skills that you want).

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Already on torrent sites :M

Preloading on torrents instead of preloading on GoG/Steam. :')
Yeah, no joke. My physical copy comes with a GOG key, but I will receive it on Monday the earliest, so I cannot preload except from torrents (which I will). This system needs improvement.

EDIT: Bros, the soundtrack is GREAT. Much incline.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Already on torrent sites :M

Preloading on torrents instead of preloading on GoG/Steam. :')
Yeah, no joke. My physical copy comes with a GOG key, but I will receive it on Monday the earliest, so I cannot preload except from torrents (which I will). This system needs improvement.
Why do you need to preload if you have a physical copy? Are CDs just tokens these days, with no actual game data stored on them?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Turns out CD Projekt pulled Alpha Protocol's Patrick K Mills off of Cyberpunk to help out with their magnum opus Witcher 3. You know what that means. Quote tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime.

First, turns out he enjoyed DA:I.
I liked Inquisition alright. I got on board with the story once Act 2 started and I realized it was all just a big silly D&D campaign. I got down with the quest design once I realized it was basically single-player WoW.

We've actually been doing a pretty excellent job of marketing, I think. We might not be able to compete with EA in terms of dollars spent, but we also have a generally pro-consumer corporate attitude that counts for a LOT of good-will.

If we had launched at the same time as them I think it would have been very interesting and not as one-sided in terms of marketing as you might think.

Of course if we had launched at the same time as them our game would not have been... polished, to the degree it needed to be, so it's kind of pointless.

Also the first mention I've heard of our estimated playtime, "over 100 hours". That's not marketing bs either, the game is fucking huge.

Complaining is basically the Polish national pastime. There's a ton of it in this game, but it's really funny.
Kurwa? Kurwa.

Once you get used to a controller it's basically superior for everything except PC shooters (because they are designed for kbm)
:? Surely this is speaking within the context of action games.

In answer to the question about world size, it's really huge, but I don't like to compare it to real world size. Ultimately it's not the size, it's how you use it. That's a cliche but it's also true. It's less about pure real estate than about density of encounters, frequency of "cool stuff", exploration methods, etc. It's all a lot more complicated than just, "how many square miles". With all that said, it's huge and there's tons to do (and it's fun stuff and not garbage).

I've been playing for weeks and I'm like 1/4 the way through. I have skipped a good amount of side quests, so yeah I believe it.

Our sidequests are also not bullshit, despite what I know everybody must assume.

EDIT: AND I skip a lot of the dialogues because I've seen them all before. So yeah, the game is huge.

I thought the exact same FC3/4 thing when that trailer marketing-talked about it. Find a village with a PoI marker on the map, clear the scripted monster squad that was hand placed there, get a Bethesda-esque "Jonestown Cleared" and next time you're there some NPCs are walking around. Maybe several boxes around town to donate money to in order to upgrade the shops/town.

But you're telling me you fuckers put actual effort and quality into these? Dude...

We have that thing you are describing, but we also have lots of other stuff. I think we do a good, but not perfect, job of not making our living world feel like an ubi theme park.

Does your company know you're admitting imperfections/fault?

Seriously, it must be nice to not have a muzzle agreement beyond the standard NDA.

I don't think I am really doing that, I'm just saying that some of our living world stuff feels a little ubi, other parts don't. I think this is legit the best rpg I've played in a decade.

Edit: I should shut up, though, or this will wind up on kotaku, "witcher Dev says w3 sucks, ubisoft sucks, hates his boss"
"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake. But it's not like, completely made up bullshit. It's saying, "Hey, this is what we think the game will look like when it comes out, but obviously we can't show you what it will actually look like, because it's not fucking done yet."

People are taking stuff from *years* before release and getting worked up about downgrade. No, not how it works. Never how it worked, never will work that way. It's not like the movies, where 95% of the movie hasn't even been shot yet, but you've got a couple of scenes or shots that are complete enough to show; a year before a game is released there's *nothing* that can be shown to the general public or even the press. Anytime you are seeing something that far out, that was made for the express purpose of showing it to people. There is no downgrade.

I'm not speaking specifically of our company, and actually we've done a really really good job of showing things that *are* representative of the finished product.

Though I'm super glad that people are excited enough about this game to get worked up over VFX on reddit or whatever. The game is awesome, it looks awesome, you'll fucking love it.
I think W3 does a really excellent job of informing the player about all the *relevant* details of characters, which mostly comes down to the relationships between the characters instead of deep-diving into lore and character abilities. W3 really feels like the first game in the series that is welcoming of people new to the franchise.

I think the sex in this one is handled much much better than in the previous games. People will still get upset, because it's the internet, but it's no big.

And honestly I learn a lot when people get butthurt on the internet, so even if 99% of it is chaff 1% of it makes us more considerate people, so whatevs.

That water hag quest is mine. Wooooooo my quest is famous!!

The reviews should start dropping soon, I really am looking forward to seeing what people think. I've been working on this thing for a while now and I can say that I'm immensely proud of what we've done and I really think it's the best thing I've ever worked on. I hope you guys (not just ya'll, but the general audience as well) enjoy it as much as I think you will.

There are multiple troll quests in W3, I worked on some of them. If you guys kill those trolls I'm going to ask the mods to ban you.

I think the game feels like Ultima 7 in a lot of ways, actually. Mostly in the exploration gameplay.

All the places that have loading screens are because they are hundreds of miles apart, it's a lore consideration, not a technical one. We could have easily put Skellige and Novigrad/Velen (which are one map) into the same map, but we assumed you guys wouldn't want to spend three days sailing over open ocean.

EDIT: There's also another big open world location that I won't reveal for spoilers, though it's in half the previews, and a couple of special locations that aren't part of the open world. But there are, effectively, no loading screens in our open world. All our interiors, caves, cities, every farm, crypt, mansion, temple, it's all in one map with no loading screens. From inside the houses you can look out the windows and see the people in the market square running around.
I mean, yeah, we could have just put Skellige 5 minutes from Novigrad, but it would have looked stupid and felt bad. If a single loading screen between two zones that are individually larger than Skyrim in square footage is a problem... man idk wtf.

There's no procedural content at all, the game is totally handcrafted. The only reason you'll ever have to collect 5 wolfbutts is because you want to make a wolfbutt potion and the store is out of wolfbutts.

Isn't the game set in a fantasy version of medieval Poland? What next? Complaining that a game set in Ancient Japan only has the Japanese?
Poland actually used to be one of the most metropolitan places in europe.

Used to be.

I don't think he was complaining there aren't enough white Europeans in Witcher though.
Warsaw in the 14th century had people from all over europe, asia, and africa. History books (and yes, european fantasy lit) have whitewashed medieval europe as effectively as the nazis did.
ohboyherewego

Once the game is out, can we have a list of the names of the quests you did?
Sure, but I came on to the project relatively late, so most of "my" quests were originally written by someone else.

Things gleamed: This will be better than Alpha Protocol (of course), possibly the best jouisseur game released in the past 10 years (we'll see how it compares to Underrail), a potential Skyrim killer/competitor blowing Bioware out of the water, far better written than Fenstermaker's Folly.

Despite all that hype I'm still going to wait until CDP releases the total package deal with all the expansions and such.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom