Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
ashley_williams_x_triss_merigold_by_captaincarveom90-d7zcdc7.jpg

lol what the fuck

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
According to pcgameshardware.de:
Fortunately, the performance is very good, both Radeon GPUs and GeForce graphics cards provide very good frame rates. Also pleasing: For Ultra-Details and Full HD all it takes is a middle-class graphics card such as GTX 770 or R9 280X.

So the game works pretty good on older cards..

Zeriel

Arcane
A real shame that they turned this from potential "best looking game evurr!" to just another generic looking console game. Nothing really stands out besides the bad stuff like the seemingly complete lack of character shadows indoors.

The only thing that really bothers me with 3 is the vegetation. 2 used a lot of bespoke models for forests and grass and shrubbery, 3 looks like every other godawful game on the market with the automatic grass/treegen.

Guess its inevitable with the size of the world, but it looks very unnatural.

pippin

Triss was worst girl from the beginning. A manipulative bitch who took advantage of Geralt's amnesia to manipulate him in body and soul (non that Geralt's cock objected, though). This is why Witcher fans are butthurt about CDPR forgetting about Shani, an honest and caring woman.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Triss was worst girl from the beginning. A manipulative bitch who took advantage of Geralt's amnesia to manipulate him in body and soul (non that Geralt's cock objected, though). This is why Witcher fans are butthurt about CDPR forgetting about Shani, an honest and caring woman.

Well, CDPR decided to go for more realism this time and cut all unrealistic characters.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow big fucking difference

Buy two Titan X now to see an immediate difference!

not

Yeah, pretty much, the selling point of high-end video cards is having enough horsepower to run technically demanding games at high and stable framerate, but when all games are designed around the Radeon 7870 there's not a whole lot of need for it. 4K resolution seems to be the current buzzword, but as someone who prefers medium-sized monitors I couldn't care less.

QcOH0nT.png

Looks like "uber" settings can't fix what isn't there.
I wonder why would they throw away those assets; was it needed to scale down to console performance, was it too much even for high-end PCs, or did they have only a few such carefully crafted areas and were then forced to tone the detail down to make them blend with the rest of the world?
It'd be pretty sad if they had most of the maps done with that level of care and then butchered them; for me, painstaking attention to detail and careful placement of assets make a world more believable than extra-sharp textures, ludicrous polygon count and liberal use of post-processing. (Of course they also take a lot of time, which admittedly is nearly always better spent on story and gameplay.)

pippin

Well, CDPR decided to go for more realism this time and cut all unrealistic characters.

This world has gone to shit if there aren't honest and caring women to be found in our reality. #gamergate, i guess?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake. But it's not like, completely made up bullshit. It's saying, "Hey, this is what we think the game will look like when it comes out, but obviously we can't show you what it will actually look like, because it's not fucking done yet."

People are taking stuff from *years* before release and getting worked up about downgrade. No, not how it works. Never how it worked, never will work that way. It's not like the movies, where 95% of the movie hasn't even been shot yet, but you've got a couple of scenes or shots that are complete enough to show; a year before a game is released there's *nothing* that can be shown to the general public or even the press. Anytime you are seeing something that far out, that was made for the express purpose of showing it to people. There is no downgrade.

I'm not speaking specifically of our company, and actually we've done a really really good job of showing things that *are* representative of the finished product.

Though I'm super glad that people are excited enough about this game to get worked up over VFX on reddit or whatever. The game is awesome, it looks awesome, you'll fucking love it.
This is fine as long as the mocked up trailer is not listed as in game footage. I don't recall if the W3 trailer was or not (you think I would given how many posts in this very thread are devoted to the topic, but I just don't care much).

Things gleamed: This will be better than Alpha Protocol (of course), possibly the best jouisseur game released in the past 10 years (we'll see how it compares to Underrail), a potential Skyrim killer/competitor blowing Bioware out of the water, far better written than Fenstermaker's Folly.

Despite all that hype I'm still going to wait until CDP releases the total package deal with all the expansions and such.
Wow, that's very optimistic coming from you.

Though, I don't get what's quite so jouisseur about the game. Level scaled weapons seem rather like brute force balancing instead of ~elegance~.

Drowed

Arcane
"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake. But it's not like, completely made up bullshit. It's saying, "Hey, this is what we think the game will look like when it comes out, but obviously we can't show you what it will actually look like, because it's not fucking done yet."

People are taking stuff from *years* before release and getting worked up about downgrade. No, not how it works. Never how it worked, never will work that way. It's not like the movies, where 95% of the movie hasn't even been shot yet, but you've got a couple of scenes or shots that are complete enough to show; a year before a game is released there's *nothing* that can be shown to the general public or even the press. Anytime you are seeing something that far out, that was made for the express purpose of showing it to people. There is no downgrade.

I'm not speaking specifically of our company, and actually we've done a really really good job of showing things that *are* representative of the finished product.

Though I'm super glad that people are excited enough about this game to get worked up over VFX on reddit or whatever. The game is awesome, it looks awesome, you'll fucking love it.
This is fine as long as the mocked up trailer is not listed as in game footage. I don't recall if the W3 trailer was or not (you think I would given how many posts in this very thread are devoted to the topic, but I just don't care much).

This. This is bullshit from them. If it's just a "draft", don't try to show it as anything else.

------------------------------------------

"Hey guys, this is how we think the game will look, in game! Here's a draft":
Big-Mac.jpg

"But oh, the real one ended up like this:"
BigMac_real_tratada.jpg

"No downgrade tho, bro, since it was just a draft. But we will put the draft on display anyways."

Deleted member 7219

That's bullshit. Steam min specs look more realistic

• Processor:Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Memory:6 GB RAM
  • Graphics:Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870

NVIDIA are pushing their Maxwell 900-series GPUs extremely heavily. They weren't going to suggest people spend a bit less and buy a 700-series card instead, but it will be interesting to see how those cards match up to the 960s, 980s etc.

Divinity: Original Sin

This. This is bullshit from them. If it's just a "draft", don't try to show it as anything else.

------------------------------------------

"Hey guys, this is how we think the game will look, in game! Here's a draft":
Big-Mac.jpg

"But oh, the real one ended up like this:"
BigMac_real_tratada.jpg

"No downgrade tho, bro, since it was just a draft. But we will put the draft on display anyways."

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...her-3-even-racism.80281/page-283#post-3912274

Well, there's the fact that no one ever ate the advertise hamburger, and the real one at least is edible and tastes OK for a burger.

I just hope that besides the downgrade, witcher 3 will taste good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom