Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The German magazines PS4 vs PC comparison video that shows the relative parity between versions has been taken down. Either someone screwed up or CDPR is digging themselves deeper yet again.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is there still the issue with the novels not all being released in the U.S.? (I seem to remember reading that either the first or second book is inexplicably not released here, so they're out of order)

GrainWetski

Arcane
The German magazines PS4 vs PC comparison video that shows the relative parity between versions has been taken down. Either someone screwed up or CDPR is digging themselves deeper yet again.

Considering the IGN guy started damage control as soon as he said the PC version looked better than PS4 version, I imagine CDPR got paid by Sony or Microsoft to keep a lid on things till after release.

They're trying their hardest to keep up that these consoles are actually anywhere close to powerful enough.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake.

How dare you accusing us of any trailer shenanigas shitlords? Don't you know, retards, that this whole trailer thing is fake? Pffft.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I think Sword of Destiny doesn't have an official translation, but you can find a fan-made one. It's supposed to come out somewhere around May though. Also, only found fan translations for the last two, Swallow's Tower and The Lady of the Lake.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Destiny...=1431728300&sr=8-4&keywords=Andrzej+Sapkowski

Seems you can preoder Sword of Destiny.

Ah thanks! So which is the actual one to start with, Blood of Elves (which says "The Witcher: 1") or The Last Wish (which says "Introducing the Witcher")?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think Sword of Destiny doesn't have an official translation, but you can find a fan-made one. It's supposed to come out somewhere around May though. Also, only found fan translations for the last two, Swallow's Tower and The Lady of the Lake.

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Destiny...=1431728300&sr=8-4&keywords=Andrzej+Sapkowski

Ah thanks! So which is the actual one to start with, Blood of Elves (which says "The Witcher: 1") or The Last Wish (which says "Introducing the Witcher")?

I canceled my preorder 2 days ago. Baptism of Derp was so Derp that it kinda killed the series for me. I still love the world, lore, and the previous books (well, Time of Contempt is where the :decline: started, IMHO), but I don't think I'll read the rest of the saga. It's just gone to fuck beyond repair.

PS I've always started from The Last wish, and proceeded in the following order (acronyms relative to the English titling):

TLW
BOE
TOC
BOP

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I canceled my preorder 2 days ago. Baptism of Derp was so Derp that it kinda killed the series for me. I still love the world, lore, and the previous books (well, Time of Contempt is where the :decline: started, IMHO), but I don't think I'll read the rest of the saga. It's just gone to fuck beyond repair.

PS I've always started from The Last wish, and proceeded in the following order (acronyms relative to the English titling):

TLW
BOE
TOC
BOP

I've read the whole Saga and I can say that you don't lose much. The books are mostly about Geralt half-blindly walking from one location to another while other characters actually do stuff. It's boring and IMO inferior to both short stories and the CD Projekt video games, even considering all their faults. The only good parts of the Saga are some background information about the world, conjuction of the spheres, Wild Hunt and shit like that. You are better off just reading it on the wiki.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
This world has gone to shit if there aren't honest and caring women to be found in our reality. #gamergate, i guess?

I like Shani, and I don't mind seeing her again in TW3. The war means that she doesn't run out of work for sure.

Echo Mirage

Arcane

Considering the IGN guy started damage control as soon as he said the PC version looked better than PS4 version, I imagine CDPR got paid by Sony or Microsoft to keep a lid on things till after release.

They're trying their hardest to keep up that these consoles are actually anywhere close to powerful enough.

peMfgQm.png

Taken from here.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks like it's back to ignoring this thread for me because this incessant graphix chat that I have to scroll past on every page makes me want to add the lot of you to my ignore list.

Though, I don't get what's quite so jouisseur about the game. Level scaled weapons seem rather like brute force balancing instead of ~elegance~.

TBH I have no idea what most of the systems will be like, but I'm confident there will be very little that's grognardy (especially since Mills likes it so much, considering he and Sawyer are on very similar pages when it comes to design philosophies), and I coined jouisseur as a term to use instead of "anti-grog." And as Sawyer says "Sometimes elegant solutions are dysfunctional and sometimes complex mechanics (under the hood) are really solid. It really depends on the specific use."

sser

Arcane
Developer
You guys think a game dev would do that? Just go and lie about their graphics in a trailer?

Modron

Arcane
FFS this is ridicules

Wow! really?! I never taught ill say this, but i think the combat in Witcher Kurwa 1 was better.... Fucking consoles and Product Managers man.

Eh all witcher combat has been forgettable, witcher 1 combat was like a poor man's Summoner replete with timed attacks but minus the customization and unlocking of new ones. Granted the first game had better character development, actual stats, and combat was better than the second game's.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tinfoil hat on. Video pulled that showed the game with full pc-graphics, devs talking in circles, refuses to give a straight answer. Nvidia pushing their latest graphic card like there is no tomorrow, telling us that it is basically required to run the game. Then we of course have Sony and Microsoft involvement too. Fun drama this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And there was much butthurt and gnashing of teeth.

"Downgrade" is not a part of the development process, it's entirely made-up by people who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works. Not speaking specifically of our game, but the thing is that promotional stuff is fake, it's always been fake and will always be fake.
We can't possibly know if this whole post at whatifgaming isn't just made-up clickbait, but here goes.
"Buying a deliberately misleadingly advertised product" is not part of a fair market process, it's entirely made up by crooks who have never worked in dev and have no idea how anything actually works, but want to maximize profits by taking advantage of legal loopholes and misleading their clients. Not speaking specifically of Witcher 3, but the thing is that I don't give my money to people who cheat me and have the gall to laugh in my face, they have never deserved my money and will never be given my money.

Coming back to my last posts in this thread:
this game is shaping up to be clusterfuck of the year.

If anyone deserves a decline tag, it's the Witcher.

• The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
When a game developer calls a feature in his previous games "extremely annoying" because he has cut it out of the most recent game, you should run. Just run.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom