Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher: Enhanced Edition²

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
You won't understand.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
As far as technical aspects go, skyway and co are just trolling. On basically three different configurations the witcher has had a grand total of 0 ctd-s for me. The load times were a slight problem before patches, but have since been taken care of. Overall the performance and stability is certainly above average for a modern game. I'm not saying, the game has no problems whatsoever, but technical fuckups are truly the lesser evil here.

Fyz

Scholar
Free content and patches? Sure they are free if you already have the first version, but by releasing the same game every year on full price and thus keeping it out of the bargain bin, I don't think that 'free' is the right word.
Before the fanboys storm me, costs from mass produced artbooks, manuals, maps and other stuff are smaller than the price difference between a bargain binned game and a freshly released one.

Oh, and the hype is ridiculous.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Risine said:
Patched game : checked
free : checked
free added content : checked

What's wrong with that !!!!

You mean free added content like a shitty re-translation (why they even bothered to switch several words and call it a new translation is beyond me), a bunch of community-made quests and NPC models that should've been there right from the start to make the game not to look like a war of the clones - but even with those models that would've gone in the console version anyway the game looked like a total deja vu.
The problem is that they didn't charge $$$ for the retarded hype of something that other studios like f.e. Obsidian, Blizzard and Bohemia do for years and even better than CDP without making any fuss. Hyping every generic patch could make poor CDP go bankrupt after all... We must understand their pain.

DefJam101

Arcane
2010: Enhance Your The Witcher Experience with Enhanced Witching Enhancements for The Witcher: 4.0 Enhancified Edition - Now Including Enhanced Integrated Enhancing Enhancers

2011:
sci-fi-post-apocalyptic-364361.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
Well, I agree with Skyway at least (and DU when he comes on) that this hype is getting out of control.
Are you kidding me? I agree with the Polish fan boys this time. I mean, name one other developer who releases fan-made modules for free! I mean, don't you usually have to pay for those? Just imagine if Bethesda released a patch for Oblivion that contained nothing more than fan-made mods. We'd all praise Bethesda for doing that. We'd even allow them to actually bold the words "available to download for free" like the special bonus that it is.

It's no surprise the Polish fanboy club is back in the swing of it praising CD Projekt for releasing fan-made content as their own. Hell, it's new content that they didn't even fucking make themselves for christ-sakes.

As far as I can tell, the only thing 1.5 really does is removes the DRM. No word yet on whether it'll stop the thing crashing like a drunken sailor on 32-bit Vista or whether they'll fix some of the quest bugs in Act IV, the issues with Garrett's hair going black and the map bugs that occur particularly in the late stages of the game, which is about the point the game decides that it's had so many memory leaks it will no longer let you save. Then once it's crashed, fixing the one where it takes a good 2 minutes to actually display the list of saved games.

Tolknaz said:
As far as technical aspects go, skyway and co are just trolling. On basically three different configurations the witcher has had a grand total of 0 ctd-s for me. The load times were a slight problem before patches, but have since been taken care of. Overall the performance and stability is certainly above average for a modern game. I'm not saying, the game has no problems whatsoever, but technical fuckups are truly the lesser evil here.
Count thee the crashes. Click for larger image:

I had a CTD like clockwork every hour. That's on a dual core 6400+ with 4 GB RAM that plays Crisis quite capably with high settings.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
DarkUnderlord said:
I had a CTD like clockwork every hour. That's on a dual core 6400+ with 4 GB RAM that plays Crisis quite capably with high settings.
read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )
do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder ( if the game crashed )

:twisted:

Squirly

Educated
I don't see the hype either. All CDP is saying is "Here! Some fixes, some fan-made content with our stamp of approval and no more DRM. The fact that they bundle the fan-made content doesn't mean they're taking credit but it does mean that we can expect a certain amount of quality from them, unlike 75% of every mod for every game in existence.

I think skyway and co. just read shit that they want to read because they're only happy when they're miserable.

I pity you fools.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Squirly said:
They're still patching the game, unlike some developers like.. oh... say... beth and bioware.
Yes their game is so fucking buggy that they still continue to patch it whereas some developers quickly fixed a few bugs that were there.

Fuck it skyway, sometimes you're right in your whining but this is fucking retarded beyond any retarded retardation.

If you didn't notice Squirly was talking about Bethesda and Bioware who release incredibly buggy games (although they're never called for in mainstream press) and then forget about patching them. Maybe I should remember you that Baldur's Gate is still bugged? That NWN still has problems with a lot of hardware? And so on, and so on...

And you come with these lies that they already fixed the FEW bugs.

Fucking Christ, you're a moron. We all know you despise CDP for hyping a patch like that's such an awful thing to do, but stop lying, mkay?

If we ever get personal robots, I want mine to be just like skyway.

"Good day, robot, let's start cleaning the house"

"Why? It'll all go to shit in a week"

"Then turn on the tv, I want to see they news"

"Why? Banal, shit , boring"

"Try to be more positive, robot, you're depressing me"

"Other people are already happy from the start, why do you have to be hyped into it?"

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Hey, this is great news. CDP are obviously doing this to stay in the news () and - incredibly - to please their fans. I think this is a risky policy, but also refreshingly different. Must have to do with polishness, strange mentality.

I can see nothing wrong with making a good game better and better and use this for advertising. Bashing them for that is completely inapropriate.

In fact, I bet they are losing money on that. I wonder how many people went the cheap route to buy TW second hand and download the EE for free. I did.

Ausir

Arcane
CDP is not really hyping it. The original EE is mostly sold out in Poland, so they just let us know that they're printing new copies, and as a small bonus are removing copy protection and adding the fan-made modules that won their contest, which is more of a nod to the modders than anything else.

One newspost on their website does not equal hype.

MetalCraze

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
If you didn't notice Squirly was talking about Bethesda and Bioware who release incredibly buggy games (although they're never called for in mainstream press) and then forget about patching them.
What? Bethesda's and Bioware's games are playable right out of the box. The only buggy game was Failure 3. And OMG Beth patched it. Can you fucking believe it? KotOR1, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and even goddamn Oblivion are playable and perfectly completable with 1.0. TW 1.0 is a buggy unplayable mess.

Maybe I should remember you that Baldur's Gate is still bugged?
Really? Like where?

That NWN still has problems with a lot of hardware?
And by a lot of hardware you mean?
(Also just to clarify - I've completed NWN OC at 1.0 - it didn't crash or leak 2 GBs out of nowhere for me a single time)
Also tsk tsk when Bioware finds bugs in those two they fix them. And even unfucking belivable - adds new content. But omg why don't you praise them for fixing bugs 7 years later holy crap who else does that?!

Fucking Christ, you're a moron. We all know you despise CDP for hyping a patch like that's such an awful thing to do, but stop lying, mkay?
And should I like CDP for doing stupid things that make them look arrogant considering that they released the game in a state beyond shit? Did a bit of truth makes butthurt fanboi cry so much?
Because that is all fanbois do in this thread: whine when their sacred cow gets butchered, try to find a developer worse than CDP but fail or simply go into traditional insults because of the lack of arguments. This is just like our little ESF here.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MetalCraze said:
What? Bethesda's and Bioware's games are playable right out of the box. The only buggy game was Failure 3. KotOR1, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and even goddamn Oblivion are playable and perfectly completable with 1.0. TW 1.0 is a buggy unplayable mess.

Sometimes I wonder where are all these gamebreaking bugs that seem to reek out of nearly all games, but somehow, I never see them.

TW is completely unplayable, but apart from the loading times, I finished the vanilla version with no problems.

I remember when Oblivion was released, and various forums were in uproar about how many bugs it had and how completely unplayable it was. Again, funny thing is I never encountered any.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I second thee Roxor. There has never been a 1.0 I couldn't finish due to bugs, or a bug which didn't have a workaround in any single game. If anything, TW was slow but perfectly playable and finishable. If you, by some reason, ever wanted to.

I still fondly remember BG2, finally walking out of the Underdark, and Jaheira going into that dialogue loop that would never end... yes, even then, I found the perfect workaround. *choking noises*

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
(Also just to clarify - I've completed NWN OC at 1.0 - it didn't crash or leak 2 GBs out of nowhere for me a single time)

I'm impressed you stomached the entire thing. I am generally a fan of Bioware's games (especially compared to most of those on the Codex), but the NWN1 OC was pretty terrible.

shardspin

Novice
In other news:
CDP's GOG has the Gothics at a discount this weekend. Sadly they do not offer multilangual versions or at least the original German version for it
And I had personally hoped for the newly released Haegemonia Gold Edition to have a discount this weekend.

Say what you want about CDP, but GOG is great. While I did not like everything they did with the Witcher, their handling of the download service GOG is top notch.

Silellak said:
I'm impressed you stomached the entire thing. I am generally a fan of Bioware's games (especially compared to most of those on the Codex), but the NWN1 OC was pretty terrible.

It's main purpose was to show what you could do with the toolset, really. Still, largest fetch quest ever.

I also never had gamebreaking bugs like "everyone". But I noticed something; whwnever I'm playing I don't generally fuck around doing retarded things, like killing random people for their 11 gold and then saving. My brother, for example, managed to screw up several games.

In the third NWN campaign, Underdark, there's a guy that asks you to fetch him a key. You could do what he says, or just kill him and take what he would give you in return. My brother did both; his character was then locked inside the room forever and he had to start a new one (multiple saves are for chumps).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom