Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
Does anyone know whether the SNES version of Wiz 6 dumbs down anything? I'm thinking of playing that version because of emulator portability

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone know whether the SNES version of Wiz 6 dumbs down anything? I'm thinking of playing that version because of emulator portability

I have yet to try it myself, but I heard it had more limited character interaction (no keyboard, duh) and there was only one difficulty (equivalent to Expert).

Kylearan

Educated
Hi all,

So I've decided to finally get down to playing Wizardry 8 for the first time (with the party I brought through 6 and 7, diamond ring intact), but I'm having a small problem. The game is running just fine, but the FMV intro and the startup splash don't play properly; they play the sound, but there's only a single frozen, slightly messed up image to go with it. I know it's a minor point, but if there's more cutscenes throughout the game I'd sure like to be able to see them. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I've already tried every possible combination of video drivers and resolution, and the problem hasn't been rectified. Thanks in advance!

oh, and I'm running the latest version of the game too. 1.2.4.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Dare I ask why my epic thread about my Wizardry 6-8 single party playthrough got confined into the margins of this megathread?

It was the first google result for "wizardry single party playthrough" and variants thereof.

Of course, because RPGCodex is some sort of weird tranny dating site these days. I forget.

Let it be remembered that I was born in the decline, and fought my way out, and the Codex did its best to keep me down.

nomask7

Arcane
Dare I ask why my epic thread about my Wizardry 6-8 single party playthrough got confined into the margins of this megathread?

It was the first google result for "wizardry single party playthrough" and variants thereof.

Of course, because RPGCodex is some sort of weird tranny dating site these days. I forget.

Let it be remembered that I was born in the decline, and fought my way out, and the Codex did its best to keep me down.

You just gotta love the mods here, don't you? There must be some forum rule that says all messages about a game series should go to a single thread about that game series. But that would be fucking retarded, so it can't be.

Can DarkUnderlord shed light on this madness? Of course he can't, nor would he. For a long time he has made it clear he isn't interested in protecting quality or sanity nor in making these forums a better place.

What a maddening combination of lost potential and thwarted goodness this place is.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Same thing happened to my Gateway to the Savage Frontier thread; it was merged into the Gold Box games thread.
While it may be a good idea to merge threads with general chit chat about the same game series, I don't see the point in merging threads with more specialized topics about a series or for specific games within a series.
Also, it messes up any bookmarks you may have had of the old threads.

Jestai

Augur
Patron
Last people who questioned the actions of the Lady of Pain (DU) and his Dabus (threads-merging mods) got mazed (Watchwitzed). Do you really want to suffer the same fate?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yes, the mods have gone on a stupid "MERGE EVERYTHING" spree. If need be, their powers will be taken away from them.

Shryke

Novice
How do you guys put up with the chinese water torture that is the popping that punctuates the start and end of every sound (Wiz 6)? Read it's an issue with ye olde
SB /Adlib /PC speaker shiz but there's no way to fix it?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
How do you guys put up with the chinese water torture that is the popping that punctuates the start and end of every sound (Wiz 6)? Read it's an issue with ye olde
SB /Adlib /PC speaker shiz but there's no way to fix it?

Playing without sound worked marvelously for me...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
If you mods are going to merge threads and make information hard to find (as thus I can't search for specific topics via topic titles, using the "intitle:" tag in Google), please update the OP of said merged thread with a comprehensive table of contents linking to every important post that was merged into this thread.

Thanks in advance for going all the way in your modding job instead of half-assing it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok, started up Wizardry 6 again after god knows how many years. It seems I totally forgot how clunky the UI is.
Three questions:

What control mode do you guys use? KB or mouse? Seems to me KB is less annoying but I'm barely half an hour into the game.
I can't equip just one item? I have to reequip everything every time I want to change just a sword or boots? (a small annoyance, just making sure I'm not missing anything).
How in the hell do I see the weapon damage? The Assay functions shows every imaginable info about a weapon except the damage. Either I'm blind or something is wrong here.

Thanks.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Keyboard only for me. Is mouse even supported?
No, you can't equip only one item slot.
To see weapon damage you need to cast the Identify spell.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Great thanks.
And yeah, mouse is supported but I prefer KB too. Mouse would be great if you could click on character portraits and interact with the environment but alas, you can't.

So is this where I post for help regarding Wizardry 8? :roll:

I'm having trouble running Wizardry 8. Oh it runs fine, but in-game I can't. That is, I can't move. Keyboard input for movement is super non responsive. Currently using some kind of alternate opengl (no discernible difference so far from the original). The DirectX options aren't responsive all the time either. It's quite aggravating. This is on Windows 7 64 bit with an ATI Radeon 5770. Any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom