Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One more question about Wiz 6.
The copy protection is annoying. I just figured out if you simply hit enter game loads anyway.
I checked on the net though and it seems there's some kind of devilry going on. Apparently the DRM messes up the game if the copy protection is skipped.
Has anyone a clue if the GOG version is "clean"? Or do I really have to squint at the spell list everytime I boot up the game?
Thanks.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well, it's kind of easy to test for yourself: if you find yourself missing every single attack in battle after skipping the copy prot, the DRM is there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It seems the GOG version is cleared all right, I just wasn't sure about all the ways the DRM works.
I hope I won't come across a plot item missing or a unlockable door or some such shit.

bloodlover

Arcane
Does monk with crit strike build work in Wiz 8? I just finished the monastery plus a bit of the outside and so far he's been 100% useless. Should I replace him with smth else before it's too late. I am running a warrior + priest + mage + ranger + bard party. Thinking of building the priest tanky, mace and shield, bard for the songs and lock/traps.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I don't think any critical strike builds are good early due to the way Crit Strike just kind of straight scales. They kind of shine better late-game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does monk with crit strike build work in Wiz 8? I just finished the monastery plus a bit of the outside and so far he's been 100% useless. Should I replace him with smth else before it's too late. I am running a warrior + priest + mage + ranger + bard party. Thinking of building the priest tanky, mace and shield, bard for the songs and lock/traps.
Same question, only for Wiz6. I'm couple of hours in but monk is a dead wood so far. (literally, he keeps dying on me all the time).
I only aasume he becomes a valuable asset once his kirijutsu and ninjutsu are high enough?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does anyone know whether the SNES version of Wiz 6 dumbs down anything? I'm thinking of playing that version because of emulator portability

Also, does anyone know if there's a fan translation for Wiz 7 PSX? It looks so much prettier than DOS/Gold.
images

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I really dig the SNES Wiz 6's visual take on western fantasy. The portraits and sprites are simply gorgeous :

wizardry_vi__bane_of_the_cosmic_forge_screen_7.jpg

Aside from that, there's no way to type anything in this version obviously... So do we miss much or not ? I haven't tried the original version.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Same question, only for Wiz6. I'm couple of hours in but monk is a dead wood so far. (literally, he keeps dying on me all the time).
I only aasume he becomes a valuable asset once his kirijutsu and ninjutsu are high enough?

The Monk is definitely worth it IMO. But you may want to put him in the back ranks with a polearm if his AC is too poor, and switch him to front ranks once his AC is better.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, the Wiz6 SNES version does look great. And holy shit it's got a minimap? Aww...

But teh Wiz7 PSX? You can't be serious. Ugly as zit. The sorry looking creatures is the worst travesty.
I maintain the original game looks very nice to this day and especially some of the creatures are still downright beautiful.

DraQ

Arcane
So is this where I post for help regarding Wizardry 8? :roll:

I'm having trouble running Wizardry 8. Oh it runs fine, but in-game I can't. That is, I can't move. Keyboard input for movement is super non responsive.
Is mouse OK? Can you input text with your KB normally?

If you can't try hitting l-alt.
The controls get locked out if you alt-tab out of the game and I presume it may also happen if the game starts up in the background for whatever reason.

Does monk with crit strike build work in Wiz 8?
I guess so. Monks get shitload of strikes if you fight unarmed and pump martial arts, so the chance of critting stuff piles up. Failing that, unarmed strikes can KO enemies.

If you don't use unarmed (but then, why Monk?) there are some awesome staves with (one is more of an endgame weapon, the other can be found relatively early, especially when you don't ironman but it's cursed) +ini, good damage and +kill% that can stack up nicely with high crit chance.

The monk is a bit of a slow starter because he's essentially a dude without armour who punches and kicks shit instead of using a proper weapon, but later on he becomes strong enough to tank and just keeps hitting the target again and again in a single turn.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Hi all,

So I've decided to finally get down to playing Wizardry 8 for the first time (with the party I brought through 6 and 7, diamond ring intact), but I'm having a small problem. The game is running just fine, but the FMV intro and the startup splash don't play properly; they play the sound, but there's only a single frozen, slightly messed up image to go with it. I know it's a minor point, but if there's more cutscenes throughout the game I'd sure like to be able to see them. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I've already tried every possible combination of video drivers and resolution, and the problem hasn't been rectified. Thanks in advance!

oh, and I'm running the latest version of the game too. 1.2.4.

Not sure if you've solved the problem already, but I had something similar (posted here on GOG, http://af.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/scrambled_cutscenes?as=1649904300) and found that the solution was, of all things, to set the battery power setting to "High performance". Obviously helps only if you have a laptop, if it's something else thought, not sure)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The copy protection is annoying. I just figured out if you simply hit enter game loads anyway.
I checked on the net though and it seems there's some kind of devilry going on. Apparently the DRM messes up the game if the copy protection is skipped.
Has anyone a clue if the GOG version is "clean"? Or do I really have to squint at the spell list everytime I boot up the game?
Thanks.

It's clean. I played 6 by just pressing Enter when the copy protection came around and I haven't had any of the usual problems such as not being able to hit enemies or anything of the sort when it comes to strange copy protection schemes. (Biased GOG staffer response :D)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Even the abandonware version of Wiz6 is "clean", at least the one I played (before Wiz6 was available on GOG, of course).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks.

It's clean. I played 6 by just pressing Enter when the copy protection came around and I haven't had any of the usual problems such as not being able to hit enemies or anything of the sort when it comes to strange copy protection schemes. (Biased GOG staffer response :D)
Yeah thanks, I just noticed though the German version of Wiz7 had to be patched because of a devious DRM :)
So that's a heads up for the Germs among us.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Thanks.

Yeah thanks, I just noticed though the German version of Wiz7 had to be patched because of a devious DRM :)
So that's a heads up for the Germs among us.

Yeah, unfortunately we had to roll back any attempts at copy protection removal on the German version as it was causing major gameplay problems. However, we did include the key words you'll need to enter ONCE per playthrough. Sorry about that :(

You can read more about it here:

http://af.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/patch_installer_for_wizardry_6_7_updated?as=1649904300

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heh, we had a little chat about David W. Bradley recently, about him claiming after the release of the Dungeon Lords he always wanted to make an action RPG (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/request-sandbox-games.82580/page-3#post-2643501).

Well I'm reading the Wizardry 6 cluebook and this is a little something I came across (it's from the 1990 interview about the upcoming Wiz7):

Q: Do you intend to make any major changes to the system?

The graphics system is being changed now. Instead of text and graphics, we're moving to total graphics, and we're rewriting the whole internal system to work with the total graphics environment. It will still be very much a strategy, plot and interactive character type of game. It is not becoming a real-time game where you just keep punching buttons until the monster dies. It will never become that for me.

Just thought I could be interesting for the fans of one of the greatest game designers ever. Formerly greatest, apparently.

DraQ

Arcane
Heh, we had a little chat about David W. Bradley recently, about him claiming after the release of the Dungeon Lords he always wanted to make an action RPG (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/request-sandbox-games.82580/page-3#post-2643501).

Well I'm reading the Wizardry 6 cluebook and this is a little something I came across (it's from the 1990 interview about the upcoming Wiz7):

Q: Do you intend to make any major changes to the system?

The graphics system is being changed now. Instead of text and graphics, we're moving to total graphics, and we're rewriting the whole internal system to work with the total graphics environment. It will still be very much a strategy, plot and interactive character type of game. It is not becoming a real-time game where you just keep punching buttons until the monster dies. It will never become that for me.

Just thought I could be interesting for the fans of one of the greatest game designers ever. Formerly greatest, apparently.
Well, to be fair, being RT or even akshun RPG doesn't automatically imply clicking things to death.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

crit based classes are pretty crappy. the crits don't start having a reliable impact in fights until the very late game, and while they're flashy and impressive looking once they come online, a straight warrior hurr durr bashing people does the same job slightly slower.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I never went with a Monk that was crit strike focused. I always went Dwarf Monk either H2H or Dualing Nunchaku.
You don't even need to go crit focused with a Samurai, just speed focused. Go speed focused with a Mook Samurai and give him the Giant's Sword.

TigerKnee

Arcane
IIRC, those necklaces restores like +2 per round if you wear them both, which isn't that significant for in-battle regeneration really.

And then you're basically giving up 2 people's turn for this gimmick. I'm not saying it's completely useless because I'm sure there are situations where you want to just dump as much damage onto someone as possible, stamina be damned, but I don't think it's THAT sustainable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom