Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hidden Asbestos: maybe I'm dense but every time I place a door it's just a solid yellow line. I can't get it to place a regular door or locked door or secret door. I have the full version ($5) and I know it's probably a simple key command but... :mad:
Clicking always places walls or tiles, you need Ctrl+click to place doors.

I don't use the keyboard mode so I don't know how it handles it (if that's what you need)...
See, I knew it was simple... yet more complicated for me. :? It will be easier for me to use keyboard mode as holding the mouse button and Ctrl at the same time isn't very easy for me.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Hidden Asbestos: maybe I'm dense but every time I place a door it's just a solid yellow line. I can't get it to place a regular door or locked door or secret door. I have the full version ($5) and I know it's probably a simple key command but... :mad:

I don't use the keyboard mode so I don't know how it handles it (if that's what you need)...
See, I knew it was simple... yet more complicated for me. :? It will be easier for me to use keyboard mode as holding the mouse button and Ctrl at the same time isn't very easy for me.
Ok, I just checked the Keyboard mode and pressed "2" for a Locked Door:
- <SPACE> places a ground tile
- Shift+Arrow places a wall
- Ctrl+Arrow places the door

Works for me.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ok, I just checked the Keyboard mode and pressed "2" for a Locked Door:
- <SPACE> places a ground tile
- Shift+Arrow places a wall
- Ctrl+Arrow places the door

Works for me.
Thanks. Works better for me using the keyboard with using the mouse to change floor tiles and door types.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
v1.1.0 is out - only one new feature though: a 'Pressure Plate' tile was requested on the GOG.com forums.

Sorry for the unclear controls mindx2 and thanks for supporting the project! Thanks for helping out CappenVarra.

7hm

Scholar
v1.0.9 has been released. Grab here:

Cool I'll check it out tonight.

http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/
To place just a plain wall in keyboard mode use SHIFT+Direction. Also I found a bug in 1.0.8 that was stopping walls from being placed when the wall eraser was enabled though so that didn't help.
I totally missed this. Similar to how I missed the RMB to move the map. Durr.

Yeah I took another look at the eraser and I agree. So I re-wrote a lot of the code there and I think it's now a lot easier to use. You set one or both erasers and you can just brush away the walls and/or floors as you see fit now. Hope you like it.
Wicked, I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know.

That would be great thank you. I don't have that game so it'd be great if you can let me know of anything that would help with that game.
Well it'll be a blind playthrough, so I have no idea what is needed outside of what you've already done, but I'll be sure to let you know.

Also, mods, maybe split this discussion out into a seperate thread? There is this thread from a while back where we were discussing the same topic: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/any-good-dungeon-mapping-software.65873/

That's also the first link on google when you're looking for this type of software.

LeJosh

Savant
I can't get rid of the extremely annoying popping in Wizardry 6 even after following Hidden Asbestos' workaround, halp.

Did it exactly as described. :\

LeJosh

Savant
It isn't essential? That's cool, wasn't sure if I would need to hear things at points. heh

Not sure why I thought it would be.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
It isn't essential? That's cool, wasn't sure if I would need to hear things at points. heh

Not sure why I thought it would be.

A shot in the dark here but try deleting the DOSBOX_backup folder. Perhaps the shortcut is still pointing to the old version? I'm pretty sure I've seen Windows do that to me before. Deleting it will ensure the shortcut is running the new version.

LeJosh

Savant
I moved it to the desktop, will try deleting it too. :)

Some sounds are better than others, will just stick with it now.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Trying out Wizardry for the first time, but am starting with 6 (thank gog). Is it a bad idea to have a party composed entirely of hybrid classes?

I am thinking about making the party composition:
Lord
Samurai
Monk
Ninja
Bishop
Bard

Does that look feasible?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Trying out Wizardry for the first time, but am starting with 6 (thank gog). Is it a bad idea to have a party composed entirely of hybrid classes?

Lord
Samurai
Monk
Ninja
Bishop
Bard

Does that look feasible?

Yes, but due to mana regeneration being set at the start of the game, and being based on your starting class, it may be better to rolle a Priest that can instantly change to Lord or Valkyrie, a Mage than can change to Samurai etc. It will pay off in the long run, but will make the beginning slightly harder since you'll start with poorer and more generic equipment.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm not sure if this has been posted here but Wizardry 1-5 had been remade for PSX in 1988 and even thought they were only published in Japan they do have an English text option. They are divided into 2 parts:

Wizardry I,II,III = Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga
Wizardry IV,V = Wizardry: New Age of Llylgamyn

kmonster

Augur

Lord
Samurai
Monk
Ninja
Bishop
Bard

Does that look feasible?

Your party is fine. I had almost the same party in my playthrough (with Valkyrie instead of Lord) and it wasn't too difficult.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think I am going to reroll my party, because every fight one of my characters dies. I will have to roll for higher stats :P
Problem with all-hybrid parties is they level up slower, especially Ninja and Bishop, so early game they can get in trouble often. It's better to start with pures, boost them up with five, six levels and then switch.

kmonster

Augur
Problem with all-hybrid parties is they level up slower, especially Ninja and Bishop, so early game they can get in trouble often.
That's an often proclaimed myth. A few percent more XP to level up is insignificant early in the game since the XP requirements double which each level up so the levels are even almost all the time, only very late in the late game the levels will really differ.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Problem with all-hybrid parties is they level up slower, especially Ninja and Bishop, so early game they can get in trouble often.
That's an often proclaimed myth. A few percent more XP to level up is insignificant early in the game since the XP requirements double which each level up so the levels are even almost all the time, only very late in the late game the levels will really differ.
Well, Thief needs 14 400 XP to reach lvl 5. Ninja needs 24 000.
A Fighter needs 16 000. A Samurain needs 22 400.

Those are huge differences considering the XP gains available in that particular stage of the game.

kmonster

Augur

Those are huge differences considering the XP gains available in that particular stage of the game.

At 11200-16000 and 22400-32000 Fighter and Samurai are even level, at 16000-22399 the fighter is only one level ahead. The samurai can cast spells, has a higher hit chance and can kill instantly with critical hits. Not really an example for a harder early game.

Wizfall

Cipher
At 11200-16000 and 22400-32000 Fighter and Samurai are even level, at 16000-22399 the fighter is only one level ahead. The samurai can cast spells, has a higher hit chance and can kill instantly with critical hits. Not really an example for a harder early game.
Perhaps but the fighter will always be more or less 50% better than any hybrid.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Point acknowledged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom