Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Kylearan

Educated
Hi all,

So I've decided to finally get down to playing Wizardry 8 for the first time (with the party I brought through 6 and 7, diamond ring intact), but I'm having a small problem. The game is running just fine, but the FMV intro and the startup splash don't play properly; they play the sound, but there's only a single frozen, slightly messed up image to go with it. I know it's a minor point, but if there's more cutscenes throughout the game I'd sure like to be able to see them. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I've already tried every possible combination of video drivers and resolution, and the problem hasn't been rectified. Thanks in advance!

oh, and I'm running the latest version of the game too. 1.2.4.

Not sure if you've solved the problem already, but I had something similar (posted here on GOG, http://af.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/scrambled_cutscenes?as=1649904300) and found that the solution was, of all things, to set the battery power setting to "High performance". Obviously helps only if you have a laptop, if it's something else thought, not sure)

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work :(

ah well. From what I remember the last time the videos look kinda junky anyway.

Dedup

Augur
I'm thinking of doing a semi-hardcore run of Wizardry 6. Taking the first roll in character creation and only reloading on a party wipe, not when characters die or if doors get jammed, traps go off, etc. A potential problem with this is that characters can die pretty easily if you're unlucky and at the start you only have a few charges in the amulet of life you find. Once the amulet runs out I'd like to replace the dead characters with fresh ones. The manual mentions a Replace function for adding new characters but it doesn't seem to appear in the character's edit menu. I've tried a few things to get it to appear but without success. So was this feature actually implemented or am I missing something? If not I guess I'll have to savescum if the amulet runs out, at least until I find another source of resurrection in the game.

kmonster

Augur
I'm thinking of doing a semi-hardcore run of Wizardry 6. Taking the first roll in character creation and only reloading on a party wipe, not when characters die or if doors get jammed, traps go off, etc. A potential problem with this is that characters can die pretty easily if you're unlucky and at the start you only have a few charges in the amulet of life you find. Once the amulet runs out I'd like to replace the dead characters with fresh ones. The manual mentions a Replace function for adding new characters but it doesn't seem to appear in the character's edit menu. I've tried a few things to get it to appear but without success. So was this feature actually implemented or am I missing something? If not I guess I'll have to savescum if the amulet runs out, at least until I find another source of resurrection in the game.
Shouldn't be too difficult. Just grind until you're so high level that the game gets boring. Resurrection potions can be bought from Queequeq.

treborSux

Arcane
The documentation for Wiz 6 was bad. AFAIK you can't replace characters, personality and karma were useless, and piety didn't affect mana regeneration.

Did personality and karma have any use whatsoever in Wiz 6 or 7? Diplomacy skill and luck in Wiz 7 seemed to be the only thing that affected how traveling NPCs befriended you.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice. I already have Wiz8, but I might buy it again, if this saves me some Win7 trouble. Anyone knows if there are any issues?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've just reminded me why I never finished this game (or ever will, probably). Still, I am going to give Wiz6&7 a shot sometime.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Um, repeating fights against respawning mob is a standard feature of tb blobbers. If you didn't like it in Wiz8 you sure as hell aren't going to like it the earlier instalments, where fights are more clunky and arguably much harder/more resource draining.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Every version I played had a bug where armies of level-scaled trash mobs appeared everywhere... besides that, it plays perfectly. :P

That sounds like it could have been some sort of copy protection. I am no expert on the subject, but I do recall that "spawn overly powerful enemies if the game is cracked" copy protection was popular at the time. At least, that's what I remember from those halcyon days of the 90s :D.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That sounds like it could have been some sort of copy protection. I am no expert on the subject, but I do recall that "spawn overly powerful enemies if the game is cracked" copy protection was popular at the time. At least, that's what I remember from those halcyon days of the 90s :D.
Wiz8 isn't a game from the nineties and no, it doesn't have any copy protection of this kind.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I seem to have opened up a can of worms over at GOG.
It was an honest question from my side to the claim that class changing is cheating:
Then why they make it so that when you switch class, you are reset to level 1? As opposed to just being promoted to a new class, but keeping the same character level?
That way there would be no reason to change class to get all those skill boosts.

It seems it would have been so easy to change just one little detail, namely keeping the same character level when changing class, to avoid this "exploit". Or am I missing something?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Last edited by a moderator:

Zetor

Arcane
It was an honest question from my side to the claim that class changing is cheating:
Then why they make it so that when you switch class, you are reset to level 1? As opposed to just being promoted to a new class, but keeping the same character level?
That way there would be no reason to change class to get all those skill boosts.

It seems it would have been so easy to change just one little detail, namely keeping the same character level when changing class, to avoid this "exploit". Or am I missing something?
I remember reading some PC gaming mags in 1992-1993, and most of their Wiz7 'strategy' and 'party optimization' advice revolved around class changing a whole lot... especially when discussing the Gorrors.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I remember reading some PC gaming mags in 1992-1993, and most of their Wiz7 'strategy' and 'party optimization' advice revolved around class changing a whole lot... especially when discussing the Gorrors.

Yes, I too think it's a valid tactic, at least in Wiz 7, since if you keep to one class you advance too slowly and it takes "forever" to get the the high level spells and key spells like Cure Poison and Cure Disease, mainly because unlike Wiz 6 you can't pump all your skill points into the magic skills, but also have to allocate to "useless" (since they advance quickly enough by use) weapon skills.

But according to the GOG guy the dev(s) said class changing was only supposed to be used to get prestige classes if you were not able to roll them at character creation. kmonster has also claimed the same thing before, I think.
But in that case it's poor design that could have easily been avoided.

Stabwound

Arcane
Does the version of Wiz 7 gold on GoG have the bugfixes mentioned somewhere? Fixed diplomacy, etc?

Embarrassing confession: I can't stand to manually map games, and played Wiz6 using online maps, and never played 7 for more than a few minutes. I hear the automap of Wiz7 is pretty useless, but the gold version makes it a little more helpful by giving it a hotkey.

I have an awful memory for remembering dungeons and that kind of shit and there's no way I'm going to hand-map Wiz 7. So, my questions are:

1) Is it necessary to hand-map Wiz 7 standard edition?
2) Does the Gold version on GoG fix the bugs, and if so, is the automap at all useful?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. Just use the online maps, if you need them. In the case of Wizardry 7, you will need to look up a few puzzle solutions anyway.
2. The non-gold version doesn't have any big bugs. Also, the Gold version manga-style portraits are a big :decline:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Does the version of Wiz 7 gold on GoG have the bugfixes mentioned somewhere? Fixed diplomacy, etc?

Embarrassing confession: I can't stand to manually map games, and played Wiz6 using online maps, and never played 7 for more than a few minutes. I hear the automap of Wiz7 is pretty useless, but the gold version makes it a little more helpful by giving it a hotkey.

I have an awful memory for remembering dungeons and that kind of shit and there's no way I'm going to hand-map Wiz 7. So, my questions are:

1) Is it necessary to hand-map Wiz 7 standard edition?
2) Does the Gold version on GoG fix the bugs, and if so, is the automap at all useful?

IIRC, the diplomacy bug SHOULD be fixed. I do know we fixed the fast moving text bug in that one. I am about 90% sure we got most, if not all, of the legacy bugs fixed. 90% sure because a) it's been a while since the game's release and b) I am at home so I don't have access to work-related things from home :P.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well, they did that in Wiz 8 and multi-classing was pretty much completely useless in said game.

Whether or not class-changing for powergaming purposes is "cheating" is probably just semantics. Multi-class rules are one of the things that are very hard to get right in RPGs so I think switching classes 1 billion times is at least exploiting a not very robust system.

Why didn't the game designer make minor change X to easily fix a problem? It seems most similar to the level-up/down trick in FFT (level up as good stats growth class, level down as something shitty, net gain in stats) where the game designers probably didn't expect anyone to do it.. Most RPG designers aren't very good at their jobs.

Coriolanus

Learned
I think of class changing in Wizardries as a cool feature to make the game easier (and it's hard enough even if you do), but it's far from a "free exploit": if you switch from someone like Ninja it may take *forever* to get the stats to switch back. Unless you also save/load to get the good stats on every level up, but then it becomes a bit like the infamous nethack black pudding farming:
"The DevTeam has arranged an automatic and savage punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom