Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
he didn't give you the cable trolley?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Eh, its not a big deal anyway, at that point in the game you should be able to cross the river on your own anyway (its only two squares across)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll have to do some class-changing to get Swimming up to snuff. I've only gotten two or three levelups since I started the game (with characters imported from VI), and it'll take a couple more levels to get everyone to 10 swimming, so I'm way behind what I "should" have in that regard. I suppose I could go poke around somewhere else for the time being.

At least I've learned my lesson: time to start backing up my savegame. Save early, save often.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
That's the nature of the game, it's so open-ended in the beginning most of us will have different paths through it, so at that point usually I could swim far further

Jason Liang

Arcane
You DO need to max out everyone's SWIMMING skill before long though. There's a couple of easy places to do it; Munkharma has one of those spots.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After switching my Valkyrie into a Priest for the express purpose of learning Remove Curse, and taking her up 7 levels until it finally became available on the eighth level-up, I've finally got it... only to find that the level at which I can cast it isn't high enough to unequip the cursed item. Looks like I'll be chained to the fountain in the starting dungeon for a while longer. Remember that it pays to savescum, people. I'll just go ahead and ask, since this is getting annoying as hell: Is there any way to unequip a cursed item other than the spell?

No Great Name

Arcane
Started my Wizardry 1 playthrough last night. I don't really know what to create for this game, so I decided to create a Fighter, Samurai, Priest, Bishop, Mage, and a Thief for my party. I started exploring the first level, got into a couple of fights with some Kobolds and small Orcs, and started thinking to myself "this isn't so bad." The very first door I went through I immediately got ambushed by a group of Bushwackers whole killed 4 of my 6 party members on their first turn. Only my Fighter and Mage survived with only 1 or 2 HP left and not only did I not have enough money to resurrect anyone, but I couldn't pay the inn to fully heal my survivors. I ended up grabbing one of the higher level characters that was already made at the start of the game, put him in the lead, and had my party of 3 grind some of the easier mobs in the entrance to the maze for gold.

I finally had enough gold to resurrect one of my party members so I decided to bring my Priest back for healing first. Well, it failed and my Priest turned into a pile of ash. I went back to the maze to grind for more gold to give it another shot, especially since it was more expensive to bring someone back from ash and gave it another shot. It failed again and I have now permanently lost my Priest. So much for that.

Next time I play, I'm just going to create new characters instead of trying to mess around with resurrection fees early in the game.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Started my Wizardry 1 playthrough last night. I don't really know what to create for this game, so I decided to create a Fighter, Samurai, Priest, Bishop, Mage, and a Thief for my party. I started exploring the first level, got into a couple of fights with some Kobolds and small Orcs, and started thinking to myself "this isn't so bad." The very first door I went through I immediately got ambushed by a group of Bushwackers whole killed 4 of my 6 party members on their first turn. Only my Fighter and Mage survived with only 1 or 2 HP left and not only did I not have enough money to resurrect anyone, but I couldn't pay the inn to fully heal my survivors.

And so it begins

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Having a blast with Wizardry 6 these days, I can't say I like it more than the early titles but it is an impressive game and I love the writing. However the terrible stat increases are killing my multiclassing plans. Rolled a faerie bard with the intention to make it a ninja eventually... But STR remains at 3 after reaching level 7, so I don't think it'll ever happen. I refuse to save and reload on levelups. Maybe in W7 I'll be more lucky :(

newtmonkey

Arcane
Next time I play, I'm just going to create new characters instead of trying to mess around with resurrection fees early in the game.

I recommend doing this, as its much quicker to roll up a new character.

I started out with the same exact party. You might find the Samurai and Bishop (Bishop especially) aren't worth the slow progression. Having said that, I kept my Samurai all the way to Wiz 3, where his Mage spells early on help a little bit. (I ended up leaving my Bishop in the tavern just to ID items, and replacing him with a Mage).

BTW, which version are you playing?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Having a blast with Wizardry 6 these days, I can't say I like it more than the early titles but it is an impressive game and I love the writing. However the terrible stat increases are killing my multiclassing plans. Rolled a faerie bard with the intention to make it a ninja eventually... But STR remains at 3 after reaching level 7, so I don't think it'll ever happen. I refuse to save and reload on levelups. Maybe in W7 I'll be more lucky :(

They kinda expected you to savescum, same in Wiz7

gman42

Scholar

Ouch, did you take first roll on all your characters too? Leaving a character with 3 STR at creation is brutal for a number of reasons. The poor girl is probably has her CC in the red just from carrying the lute around :P

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Ouch, did you take first roll on all your characters too? Leaving a character with 3 STR at creation is brutal for a number of reasons. The poor girl is probably has her CC in the red just from carrying the lute around :P

No, I got good rolls... But in her case I stupidly neglected putting more points into str, and started at 5. Went down to 3.

If I make a switch to thief and then to bard, will it go up to 5? Faeries can always switch to those classes iirc.

Jason Liang

Arcane

Faerie bard is especially terrible since you don't even get the Lute.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

Faerie bard is especially terrible since you don't even get the Lute.

You get the lute and can use it.

gman42

Scholar

No, I got good rolls... But in her case I stupidly neglected putting more points into str, and started at 5. Went down to 3.

If I make a switch to thief and then to bard, will it go up to 5? Faeries can always switch to those classes iirc.

Well stats don't decrease in Wiz6, so if it "went down" to 3, that would have to be during creation when (I assume) making it female? The 3 would be her minimum, and that's what it would switch to anytime you change to a class with no STR requirement in the future.

Making the switch to thief would at least start you over needing the minimum EXP to advance, and give you hope that you'll have a good run of levelups and get your strength up. Gonna be a huge PITA without some savescumming though. If you manage to get to 10 STR you can hopefully qualify for Ranger as another temporary platform to move up from (unfortunately there are no other classes with lower STR requirements than that).

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Technically, vitality can decrease

Also, I remember the manual said at old age stats can decrease again

edit: now that I think about it, I do think stats can occasionally go down, though I don't think I've seen it happen often

Last edited:

gman42

Scholar
True, VIT goes down after resurrection or de-stoning but I didn't want to muddle the issue since it's the result of a specific action.

The old age thing might be true but I'd think you'd have to do an ungodly amount of resting and resurrecting (that increases age by 1 also, right?) to make this an issue. I personally don't think I've ever had a character older than 20 in this game.

No Great Name

Arcane

I recommend doing this, as its much quicker to roll up a new character.

I started out with the same exact party. You might find the Samurai and Bishop (Bishop especially) aren't worth the slow progression. Having said that, I kept my Samurai all the way to Wiz 3, where his Mage spells early on help a little bit. (I ended up leaving my Bishop in the tavern just to ID items, and replacing him with a Mage).

BTW, which version are you playing?
I'm playing on DOSBox. I honestly don't mind the slow progression. Other than identification, I also wanted a Bishop to act as a sort of red mage to help cover for either my Priest or my Mage whenever needed.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Well stats don't decrease in Wiz6, so if it "went down" to 3, that would have to be during creation when (I assume) making it female? The 3 would be her minimum, and that's what it would switch to anytime you change to a class with no STR requirement in the future.

Making the switch to thief would at least start you over needing the minimum EXP to advance, and give you hope that you'll have a good run of levelups and get your strength up. Gonna be a huge PITA without some savescumming though. If you manage to get to 10 STR you can hopefully qualify for Ranger as another temporary platform to move up from (unfortunately there are no other classes with lower STR requirements than that).

My bad, I was sure it started at 5, but obviously I was wrong.

So this amazulu bitch queen... Do I need to pay her 3k every time I want to trade with Kuwali Kubona?

gman42

Scholar

So this amazulu bitch queen... Do I need to pay her 3k every time I want to trade with Kuwali Kubona?

Just keep some unwanted crap in your inventory and give her one item each time, that should do it. IIRC the only thing she bitches about is the baubles and trinkets from the treasure chest.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer

Just keep some unwanted crap in your inventory and give her one item each time, that should do it. IIRC the only thing she bitches about is the baubles and trinkets from the treasure chest.

Heh, I loved the dialogue when she rejected it though. Topless female enemies, funny lines and names, awesome descriptions, what's not to love about this game.

I'm switching my faerie bard to priest for a while, and will savescumm the stat rolls to ensure she can become a ninja too.

But before the priest switch, I am considering also making a few quick switches between thief and bard level 1, gaining in theory lots of free skill points.I read in the rules that faeries can always switch between those classes regardless of stats. After a few iterations I can always switch to priest from bard, only needing +1 per. Am I overlooking something in this plan?

Jason Liang

Arcane
faeries have pretty shit piety so you'll have to savescum to get the faerie up to Priest req.

Also this sort of autism is better saved for Wiz7.

Max Heap

Arcane
Here's a license related question:
On GOG Wizardry is sold by Gamepot
On Steam it is sold by Nightdive

But who has the right to actually produce new games in the series?

Also I wonder how Wizardry 9 would look, under consideration of the japanese market.
If they actually made another mainseries game they'd have to be careful not to weird out the western market with all the anime stuff.
Though, Dimguil and Lylgamyn for PS1 as well as Tales of a Forsaken land for PS2 had some really good artwork. And those were japanese titles/remakes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom