Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I am on the verge to trying Wizardry 8 again, and after brief consideration (and suppressing bad memories about level scaling and amount of encounters), I decided to go ranged party this time (trying to combine several ranged + several melee wasn't good idea in the long run it seems).
Any suggestions on party combo for full ranged walkthrough (with gadgeteer if possible)?
Also, I have read recently in some guides that ranger could be ok with modern weapons, is it worth a try or its best to stick to the bows?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I am on the verge to trying Wizardry 8 again, and after brief consideration (and suppressing bad memories about level scaling and amount of encounters), I decided to go ranged party this time (trying to combine several ranged + several melee wasn't good idea in the long run it seems).
Any suggestions on party combo for full ranged walkthrough (with gadgeteer if possible)?
Also, I have read recently in some guides that ranger could be ok with modern weapons, is it worth a try or its best to stick to the bows?

If you want to go for a ranged party and are not afraid of mods, Lunastralis mod is perfect for ranged parties and particularly modern weapons as it adds a lot of them, very powerful ones to beat the overpowered opposition the mod throws at you.

Modern weapons with a ranger is ok, but with vanilla Wizardry 8, i don't think there is better weapons than the best bows or the triple crossbow, besides the omnigun but your gadgeteer only improves it while leveling up, so even if you steal one from a NPC gadgeteer, you're probably fucked.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Yeah a Ranged party with a Gadgeteer is probably going to just have most people toting Triple crossbows, maybe someone toting one of the high level bows so you can use all those Arrow Special Ammo.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
If you want to go for a ranged party and are not afraid of mods, Lunastralis mod is perfect for ranged parties and particularly modern weapons as it adds a lot of them, very powerful ones to beat the overpowered opposition the mod throws at you.

Modern weapons with a ranger is ok, but with vanilla Wizardry 8, i don't think there is better weapons than the best bows or the triple crossbow, besides the omnigun but your gadgeteer only improves it while leveling up, so even if you steal one from a NPC gadgeteer, you're probably fucked.

I saw you comment in thread of your creation on codex, where you wrote "Well, looks like Lunastralis mod have a successor and a new version might come soon, maybe i'll just wait.". It was in 2018.
Was there any new developments?
And no, I don't afraid of mods, in fact I decided (before posting in this thread)to use Wizardry 8 Gameplay Overhaul, because it promised to cut some spawn points and I liked some balance changes. Perhaps my decision was premature a bit.
Yeah a Ranged party with a Gadgeteer is probably going to just have most people toting Triple crossbows, maybe someone toting one of the high level bows so you can use all those Arrow Special Ammo.
Well, It's obvious that some characters will use same type of weapon.
But I asked, because there plenty of contradictory information about topic of ranged combat, for example I saw suggestion on the net:
1. Fighter (front), Ninja (right), Ranger (left), Gadgeteer (back),
Bishop+Alchemist (middle)
2. Samurai (front), Valkyrie (right), Ranger+Ranger (left),
Gadgeteer (back), Biship (middle)

Yet on different site people talking about how throwing terrible and slings don't trigger penetration.
I know that I want ranger, gadgeteer and probably bishop, yet I have no idea about other slots.

jackofshadows

Magister
I know that I want ranger, gadgeteer and probably bishop, yet I have no idea about other slots.
Ninja, wizard/psionic, bard/another ranger. Just keep in mind that any set-up is viable in wiz8. Take whom you want and have fun.

Don't forget to install the speed up animations mod, otherwise vanilla is fine.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think Throwing is good as a secondary for like, Fighters, mostly to use all those consumables the game tosses at you. I know some of the higher end bullets are pretty good but I don't know how it really stacks up as a main ranged form of combat.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I saw you comment in thread of your creation on codex, where you wrote "Well, looks like Lunastralis mod have a successor and a new version might come soon, maybe i'll just wait.". It was in 2018.
Was there any new developments?
And no, I don't afraid of mods, in fact I decided (before posting in this thread)to use Wizardry 8 Gameplay Overhaul, because it promised to cut some spawn points and I liked some balance changes. Perhaps my decision was premature a bit.

The "new" one is reforged, I think, it's not exactly the same thing.
There's more info on the Wizardry postcount forum, both are fine, just don't mess up the installation process.

The reason I mentioned it is the multitude of new modern weapons (for Lunastralis, I don't remember what's what in reforged because i've played 4 or 5 wizardry 8 mods in the last few years).

Valkyries can use modern weapons, Ranged bards are decent, you could eventually play with a smaller party to avoid creating the same characters twice.

Humbaba

Arcane
Oh god, 7 is huge. I didn't know they made 100 hour long games back then.

Remember when I said that 7 is less obtuse than 6? Not by too much as it turns out. Without a walkthrough I'd be fucking about aimlessly for hours on end. Not even quite sure why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm supposed to collect those weird maps (I think) but don't ask me what for. I was hunting a cosmic lord with Bela originally, no idea how that's gonna tie into the whole thing. If the game gave an explanation then I missed it.

Shoutout to the devs for including an NPC that can potentially irreversibly steal game critical items from the party. Luckily, he stole nothing important from me.

Having imported all those top-tier unique weapons from 6 killed the joy of looting completely, because they are still the best weapons in 7 (except the cane of corpus but fuck me if I'm killing that blind asshole). It's a cool way of rewarding previous fans of the series and opens up the game a lot sooner though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I always hoped Werdna would reappear some day.

giant robot Kadorto... hmmmm.

"Using his magical powers, Werdna discovered that it had been taken by soldiers of the mad overlord Trebor, the tyrannical ruler of Llylgamyn, who had also bought a scroll from the dealer and found the other gauntlet. Furious, Werdna invaded Trebor's castle and cast a paralyzing spell on everyone, snatching the amulet from Trebor's own hands.

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
The game starts with Werdna, who steals the magical amulet from Trebor. Seeking to use the amulet's powers to take over the world, he creates a huge maze beneath Trebor's castle, hiding in the lowest floor to further study the amulet and unlock it's powers, while infesting the dungeon with monsters so he wouldn't be interrupted. Trebor, driven to madness, decide to use the dungeon as a testing grounds for applicants to his personal army, hoping one would be brave or crazy enough to defeat Werdna and retrieve the amulet."

Seems to me Trebor has always had a screw loose. Did Andrew & Robert not get along?

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Casual Hero

Augur
Seems to me Trebor has always had a screw loose. Did Andrew & Robert not get along?
Proving Grounds of the MAD Overlord. The manual makes it quite clear that Trebor is not the "good guy". It makes it explicitly clear that he is literally insane.

When you play the game, you realize that Floors 1-4 are (more-or-less) governed by Trebor. Once you pass the test on the 4th floor, you get access to the "real" dungeon, which is under the control of Werdna.

That's one of the things I love about the game, though. Two power hungry and manipulative warmongers fighting over dominance of the maze, and you're caught in the middle.
The game hints at things like a complex dungeon ecology, but it never really goes beyond that. I wonder if they expanded on this idea in the next games, which I haven't played yet.

I actually think that you could come up with some really good stories that take place in the world of Llygamyn.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh god, 7 is huge. I didn't know they made 100 hour long games back then.
Just play Magic Candle. There are a lot of games that were more than 100 hours.
Remember when I said that 7 is less obtuse than 6? Not by too much as it turns out. Without a walkthrough I'd be fucking about aimlessly for hours on end. Not even quite sure why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm supposed to collect those weird maps (I think) but don't ask me what for.
Long ago, Phoonzang created another magic thingy, Astral Dominae and hid it somewhere in Guardia. You should find it first. Phoonzang left maps that show the way.
Having imported all those top-tier unique weapons from 6 killed the joy of looting completely, because they are still the best weapons in 7 (except the cane of corpus but fuck me if I'm killing that blind asshole). It's a cool way of rewarding previous fans of the series and opens up the game a lot sooner though.
Half of top-tier weapons from Wiz6 are not imported. I remember only getting PK crystal, Diamond Ring, mantiss gloves and one or two weapons. Also Wiz7 has weapons better than Wiz6. Light Sword, for example. That T'Rang stronger staff. Muskets are very nice too.

Humbaba

Arcane
Long ago, Phoonzang created another magic thingy, Astral Dominae and hid it somewhere in Guardia. You should find it first. Phoonzang left maps that show the way.
Right, the intro sequence said something about that thing being important somehow, I remember now.

Half of top-tier weapons from Wiz6 are not imported. I remember only getting PK crystal, Diamond Ring, mantiss gloves and one or two weapons. Also Wiz7 has weapons better than Wiz6. Light Sword, for example. That T'Rang stronger staff. Muskets are very nice too.

That's because you can't get both top-tier armor/accessories AND top-tier weapons imported equally. The Wiz6 gamefaq explains this in detail. This means if you equip your guys with top-tier weapons only, then they'll take them along to 7 guaranteed. That way every one of my guys/gals ended up with the highest tier weapon they're able to use (avenger, muramasa, bushido, cat, death spear, maenad's). The diamond ring is an exception, that one imports no matter what.

Muskets make for a nifty off hand weapon but their damage spread is huge and you only get to fire one shot per combat unless you waste a turn reloading, which really isn't worth it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ok, all these years and I wasn't imagining it. I alway kept thinking is there something off with Trebor? Thinking about it, the kings in those early games were a bit assholish. Who didn't want to kill every incarnation of Lord British or every Questron king.

I wonder if there were any Wizardry Novels done correctly. I saw there was a wizardry cartoon.

Humbaba

Arcane
Apparently Barlone has the crystal map, is that going to be a problem? Don't feel like backtracking all that distance. I also no longer have that spindle, so I don't think I can even get to him anymore.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I bought 6 and 7 last year during a Steam sale. I now have some time and want to dive into these games. I'm interested to jump right into 7, but I'm wondering if completing 6 is absolutely required?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I bought 6 and 7 last year during a Steam sale. I now have some time and want to dive into these games. I'm interested to jump right into 7, but I'm wondering if completing 6 is absolutely required?
I've heard people say Wiz7's early game is too difficult and that it's worth playing 6 first so you can import, but it's really not a problem. I started 7 fresh a few weeks ago without importing and it's fine as long as you do the starter dungeon. There's something to be said for the experience of playing 6, 7, and then 8 all with the same party though.

Humbaba

Arcane
I looked it up, apparently the only map item that is required is the legend map, which I got in the abbey, so it's all good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom