Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Humbaba

Arcane
How did they get away with uncensored black tits back in 1990????

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh, just because.... Daggerfall had uncensored tits. Diablo had jiggly succubi.

TITS WERE A HUGE THING BACK THEN!
the-simpsons-duff-beer-contest-2.gif

Frank Zappa said:
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!
TITTIES & BEER!

TITTIES & BEER!

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Has anyone played Wizardry Gold? I always assumed it was an entirely cosmetic update, but reading the manual makes it sound like there were mechanical changes (presumably made without Bradley's consent). Mapping is described as a physical skill when it was academic in CotDS.

wizgold-manual-1.png

Mapping not being in competition with Mythology/Artifacts/Scribe/Diplomacy/Kirijutsu/spellcasting skills would be nice.
As octavius already said, portraits are changed. It has several annoying bugs as well. Constantly displayed map is nice, though.
Check this thread.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/wizardry-7-dos-version-vs-gold.88802/

Covenant

Savant
Has anyone played Wizardry Gold? I always assumed it was an entirely cosmetic update, but reading the manual makes it sound like there were mechanical changes (presumably made without Bradley's consent). Mapping is described as a physical skill when it was academic in CotDS.

I played it quite a bit when I was younger. There were a few bugs (diplomacy has already been mentioned - for me, the most annoying one was the text zooming across at the speed of light) but it had some positives. I quite liked the voices - the narrator was a bit cheesy, sure, but overall the voices enhanced the experience in my opinion. And I remember the music (for the title sequence and potentially the inventory screen) was better.

Humbaba

Arcane
6 is a wrap. Doesn't really hold up. Impossible to beat without a walkthrough within any reasonable timeframe. The mines might as well be replaced with a flashing fullscreen message reading

!!!BUY THE STRATEGY GUIDE ASSHOLE!!!

Don't know either how anybody was supposed to figure out how to get the diamond ring without looking it up. Or that Bela is hiding behind a secret wall. Having multiple different endings that affect your import into 7 is very cool though.

Just started Wiz7, looks and sounds a lot nicer at any rate. Combat is basically the same from what I can tell. Can't make a proper judgement on difficulty yet, because Bela dumped my guys right in the forest and that particular start is allegedly supposed to be disproportionately hard (which it kinda is, fuck those moths). Let's see how it goes.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
6 is a wrap. Doesn't really hold up. Impossible to beat without a walkthrough within any reasonable timeframe. The mines might as well be replaced with a flashing fullscreen message reading
Beat mines several times, just draw your own map. You have a compass after all, use it.

Codex Year of the Donut

!!!BUY THE STRATEGY GUIDE ASSHOLE!!!

Don't know either how anybody was supposed to figure out how to get the diamond ring without looking it up. Or that Bela is hiding behind a secret wall. Having multiple different endings that affect your import into 7 is very cool though.

Just started Wiz7, looks and sounds a lot nicer at any rate. Combat is basically the same from what I can tell. Can't make a proper judgement on difficulty yet, because Bela dumped my guys right in the forest and that particular start is allegedly supposed to be disproportionately hard (which it kinda is, fuck those moths). Let's see how it goes.
strategy guides & tiplines were the DLC of that era
B2syFV5.png

devs made lots of money off that shit which caused them to create games that encouraged this behavior

Humbaba

Arcane
strategy guides & tiplines were the DLC of that era
B2syFV5.png

devs made lots of money off that shit which caused them to create games that encouraged this behavior

Yes, which is precisely why I refuse to engage with that bullshit. I always read guides/look up maps etc. for any DOS era game I play.

Humbaba

Arcane
7 is open world, what a twist!

A lot less obtuse bullshit in this one. This time around, the game actually gives you hints.

Combat is still as swingy as ever, whoever disables the enemy into the ground first wins (provided there's spellcasters involved). In acknowledgement of this fact, the devs made it an in-combat option to quit the game and savescum :incline:. Good thing I imported all that end game weaponry from 6. Made grinding savant troopers a lot easier.

Humbaba

Arcane
Whoever designed that tree gauntlet should be kicked in the nuts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom