Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Butter

Arcane
I'm on level 8 now, mostly done mapping the minefield. The game trolls you into thinking you're done by spitting you out near one of the walls, only to throw more mines at you as you run along the south side of the room. I have Mahalito now, which makes party encounters a lot less scary, but there are a lot of single-enemy encounters on this level, and Mahalito happens to be the best damage spell against them too.

I like that with each level, you have to figure out the right combination of minions, and sometimes you have to change it up. Gaze Hounds being able to paralyze is pretty cool in party encounters, but against single enemies it usually results in them not dying and any spells you used during the fight being wasted. Dragon Flies seem quite good though.

I stopped playing because I was nearly at the end of the minefield with all enemies dead and fucking Trebor caught me.

gman42

Educated
Yeah, wiz4 has a fun (read: not fun at all) see-saw of battle difficulty, just wait until your enemies can cast Makanito and literally every battle with a mage is a potential reload. Fortunately you outgrow that vulnerability, eventually.

Are you trying to play totally spoiler-free? I'd be interested to see how far you get and which ending you wind up with, I'm still convinced no one has ever legitimately completed the "ideal" ending on their own.

Butter

Arcane
I just made it to level 5. Level 6, or as I call it, "Dumapic Level", consistently gave me shitty spinner luck and was moderately tilting. Level 7 was unusually straightforward, and it makes me think I missed something there. I got three stones and tried sacrificing them but all it did was kill me a couple times. I've been wandering around level 5 for a while unable to find the pentagram, and until I find it I have to keep entering the copy protection codes when I load in. The previous levels were pretty good about having the pentagram right near the start of the level (except level 6 but I managed to stumble onto one of the pentagrams pretty quickly by luck).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I have played/tried all Wiz8 mods and it occurs too many times that every monster has 100% magic resistance and a lots of HP, so you have to run to the monsters one by one and slowly grind down 'em.
Nevertheless this is a great mod.

It's not clear wether the HP bloat and 100% magic resistance is from this mod or not.
Because I've played many mods and it's a usual thing in "difficult" mods, this or just Level bloat and as we know, many mechanism scale so high level enemies are a real pain, they dodge and resist everything.

So, which is it?

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Is Wizardry8 real-time?
In the expanded mod some monster uses an AOE poison spell.
So everyone got poisoned.
Battle over but I have no time to cure the poisons because time passes and they have to drink a lots of potions.
Btw is there any defense against poison?

Reality

Learned
Guardian angel will block any on hit status of physical attacks, I use it for those later savant guards who can melee and stun you at same time. It should work for both melee and dart\spit forms of poison too.

BoroMonokli

Literate
recently been having the urge to come back to wiz8, after losing a party to a windows reinstall years ago. Glad to see there was a code dive that finally delivered formulas for attack rating, power strike, etc. I need to start again and this time I won't forget to bring a bard. (oh um, I tend to disable my chosen npc recruits' pickiness about which areas they go to via cosmic forge. it's a weakness of mine but I must carry my mascot/pet Madras everywhere no matter what.)

I know I want a (non-fairy) ninja too, question is which way to build her? Daggers, staves, or throwing?

Top Bottom