Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Humbaba

Arcane
What you're literally supposed to do at the start of 6 is run around the first floor and grind rats til level 4. Also, just use a guide. Games of that era were purposefully designed to be obtuse as to pad the run time and sell strategy guides.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You don't have to grind rats. Wizardry 6 isn't that hard, especially compared to 7. But you do have to use all your spell points very often, as well as run from unfavorable encounters.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"You don't have to grind rats, you can also just make it needlessly hard for yourself"
Yes, grinding makes most of these games easier. I had to grind the first time I played Wiz6 because I fucked up my class changing and had to fix my party composition. If you don't do that, you don't have to grind at any point.

gman42

Scholar
For me, grinding everybody to level 2 by fighting shitty vines and rats for a bit before venturing on was my go-to strat for a new Wiz6 party. Gets you to the point where your melee characters can actually hit a reasonable amount of the time and you don't want to hurl your PC out the window. Never saw too much need to grind beyond that, though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I used to think "You must gather your party before venturing forth" was the most annoying line ever in a video game. But that was before Wiz8 and "Too far!".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
They say that rats fight best when cornered. The fights against Juggernauts on Arnika Road would have made Don Barlone and Milano Calzone proud of my party.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Any way to make RPCs keep their gear if they temporarily leave the party? Except using the tweak/cheat that enable them to go everywhere.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Any way to make RPCs keep their gear if they temporarily leave the party? Except using the tweak/cheat that enable them to go everywhere.

Nope but you can store stuff in He'li's Inn, on the ground or in the chests once you looted them (click the empty's chest lid).
I usually use rooms as storage units, one for instruments, one for gadgets, one chest for ammo, etc.

And I don't consider making RPC go everywhere a cheat, rather a QoL feature but on your first playthrough, I understand why you would rather play by the rules.

Last edited:

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
How long is a normal Wizardry 8 play through?
I have never measured. And there is no such stat in the game.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I revisited Wizardry 8 a few days ago (tried to get into it years ago but couldn't), and I'm obsessed.

Current party (all humans):

2x Female Valkyrie
1x Female Bard
1x Male Fighter
1x Male Priest
1x Male Mage

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It took so many reloads to see it that I can safely say you're not intended to have it except as a "jackpot" rare drop. And even then I find a ninja is better from medium or far range just fishing for thrown crits.

Yes, it's an incredible weapon, but you're fine without it. It's mostly fun for solo ninja playthroughs.

Many of the very best weapons are stupidly rare and you'll be just fine without them.

The Mook sword is very helpful though.

notpl

Arbiter
Isn't the corpus's drop chance extremely high, like 80% or something? The whole point is that it's not only the best weapon in the game but also virtually guaranteed. Compare it to the light sword, which has a 3% chance from a single chest in the game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Light sword also drops from underwater ghosts, that's the way I got it the single time I had it. But Wiz8 is choke full of items that you'll never see if you don't know how to get them and savescum a lot. The worst example would probably be the best katana as afair it's a chest spawn in rapax castle so glhf.

Also, fearie ninja is ghay, but mook samurai with giant sword is p. cool.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Light sword also drops from underwater ghosts, that's the way I got it the single time I had it. But Wiz8 is choke full of items that you'll never see if you don't know how to get them and savescum a lot. The worst example would probably be the best katana as afair it's a chest spawn in rapax castle so glhf.

Mook Sam is kind of a trap becuase low DEX/SPD really hurts if you want to unlock Reflextion (and Sam kind of needs it to survive on Expert frontline) and low PIE is a pain to get spells functional as well. On the other hand off-hand swords aren't great on vanilla and Extended on Giant Sword is badly needed.

I went through the pain of training up DW on a Sam only to get Sword of 4 Winds from Gigas locker to mock me last run.

Corpus cuts against main strengths of class but you can train up Staff by the time you can beat Barlone if you want since Faerie Ninj survives reasonably well on frontline with Reflextion + Stealth. It's just that short range melee on your own guys isn't that great if you play with RPCs and you get it fairly late anyway and Ranger is pretty great and competes for that slot.

Jap classes are better the smaller the party.

2x Female Valkyrie
1x Female Bard
1x Male Fighter
1x Male Priest
1x Male Mage
You're going to be missing that Gadge.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter

Mook Sam is kind of a trap becuase low DEX/SPD really hurts if you want to unlock Reflextion (and Sam kind of needs it to survive on Expert frontline) and low PIE is a pain to get spells functional as well. On the other hand off-hand swords aren't great on vanilla and Extended on Giant Sword is badly needed.

I went through the pain of training up DW on a Sam only to get Sword of 4 Winds from Gigas locker to mock me last run.

Corpus cuts against main strengths of class but you can train up Staff by the time you can beat Barlone if you want since Faerie Ninj survives reasonably well on frontline with Reflextion + Stealth. It's just that short range melee on your own guys isn't that great if you play with RPCs and you get it fairly late anyway and Ranger is pretty great and competes for that slot.

Jap classes are better the smaller the party.

2x Female Valkyrie
1x Female Bard
1x Male Fighter
1x Male Priest
1x Male Mage
You're going to be missing that Gadge.
Samurai requires 55 dex and spd, mook samurai starts with the same value for these as any other race except felpurr/faerie. The piety part is true, though. Also, weapon weight has a big effect on how many swings you get per attack, so the Giant Sword is much worse than it first appears. If you want to use the giant sword, a Fighter will berserk with it to much better effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom