Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
99% of the multiclassing in wiz8 is done at the first level, and 95% of that is training stealth vs crabs.
The rest is just easing a training aspect for hybrids (Mag/Sam, etc). Multiclassing a bishop at first level makes absolutely zero sense, because the better single school is never worth -1 lvl to the other.
Gadgeteer and bard don't have any compelling reason to stay in-class after level 18 and should switch to ranger or fighter/rogue respectively if you want to juice their damage a bit.
This isn't the case. Steam forums have the whole code, go check there. They'll fill you in in ways that make me look terse.

Lukifell

Educated
Wiz 6/7: You subtract your level from the monster’s level and that number is applied to the monster’s resists. So yeah, higher levels makes you resist more and monsters will resist you less. (That’s why you can auto kill the level 99-100 monsters with a level 70+ character.) Wiz6/7 also increases your initiative by your character’s level, so class switching isn’t really that great, and a Thief who has 3-5 levels on everyone else due to the low XP req is stronger than he would appear.

The same is true for Wizardry 8. I’m not sure of the exact formula, but level matters *much* more in Wiz8. Whenever I tried the Cathedral battle at around level 13ish, the big skeleton guys would kill 1-2 characters with one of their instakill spells, despite everyone in my party having 125 resists. At level 16, though, almost no one died, the fight was almost too easy. A 3 level difference was night and day.

Lukifell

Educated
99% of the multiclassing in wiz8 is done at the first level, and 95% of that is training stealth vs crabs.
The rest is just easing a training aspect for hybrids (Mag/Sam, etc). Multiclassing a bishop at first level makes absolutely zero sense, because the better single school is never worth -1 lvl to the other.
There is no -1 for Bishop (if you start with Bishop lvl).

Don't talk about shit you don't know about. And nobody wants to be (or needs to be) grinding crabs.

So what does the Samurai get out of that Mage level anyway? Does he get the innate bonus to Wizardry? Can this be taken beyond level 1? I'm running a samurai for my first complete playthrough, but if it's too late to benefit from it i'm not restarting. I've trained his magic to competent levels for my place in the game as it is.
A substantial boost to 4 Realm Skills, which allows him to train them much faster. Which matters a lot since he can't afford much Piety. This facilitates the development of those skills through regular play instead of degenerate grinding.

You did mention Mage 1 / Bishop, which would indeed delay non-Mage spells by one level.

I agree with you about skill grinding / “training”, it removes any challenge. It’s like playing solo Solitaire but just giving yourself whatever cards you want—what’s the point?

In fact, it you haven’t beaten a Wizardry without grinding and savescumming, you haven’t really beaten a Wizardry, get the fuck out of this thread

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Desiderius Okay so when exactly is that mage level taken? It doesn't even matter, since a +1 lvl mage means only advancement in wizardry.

Grinding crabs is almost necessary for a solo run.

Desiderius

Patron
Ask the Steam guys. They’re the ones who found it.

I think I took it lvl 2 last time? Anyway for some reason Bishop gets full caster level for all spells even with non-Bishop lvls (as long as they’re pure caster)? I know it works for the Mage 1 splash and Mage spells are 90% of those you’re trying to beat resists with anyway. Web’s the tricky one IIRC.

It’s a blobber. Solo isn’t a blob. I don’t get people who grind games like this.

Desiderius

Patron
There is no -1 for Bishop (if you start with Bishop lvl).

Don't talk about shit you don't know about. And nobody wants to be (or needs to be) grinding crabs.

So what does the Samurai get out of that Mage level anyway? Does he get the innate bonus to Wizardry? Can this be taken beyond level 1? I'm running a samurai for my first complete playthrough, but if it's too late to benefit from it i'm not restarting. I've trained his magic to competent levels for my place in the game as it is.
A substantial boost to 4 Realm Skills, which allows him to train them much faster. Which matters a lot since he can't afford much Piety. This facilitates the development of those skills through regular play instead of degenerate grinding.

You did mention Mage 1 / Bishop, which would indeed delay non-Mage spells by one level.

I agree with you about skill grinding / “training”, it removes any challenge. It’s like playing solo Solitaire but just giving yourself whatever cards you want—what’s the point?

In fact, it you haven’t beaten a Wizardry without grinding and savescumming, you haven’t really beaten a Wizardry, get the fuck out of this thread
Sry that was unclear.

Bish1/Mage1/Bishx I think. Shld get full CL on all spells, tho I’d check with Steam Forums to make sure. Wiz is primary class I’m trying to beat Resists with anyway since I’m off of Nip classes now. Rift is tight without Vi tho for sure if you leave Wiz for Bish.

Tried to get Rodan and Drazic early last run with Sam and Bish handling Psi and didn’t quite get there. Shld be able to with Pure Psi and Wiz/Div Bish I think.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Well on one hand you refer to the formulas, on another to some bugs which were recently uncovered. Which you aren't even sure of. You should have made the exploit more clear in your OP.
How I or other people enjoy games is our business. Your sanctimony becomes even more hilarious when you advocate an exploit which was clearly not intended.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Well on one hand you refer to the formulas, on another to some bugs which were recently uncovered. Which you aren't even sure of. You should have made the exploit more clear in your OP.
How I or other people enjoy games is our business. Your sanctimony becomes even more hilarious when you advocate an exploit which was clearly not intended.
It’s not sanctimony, dumbass.

Just because the sacred is the only thing you were taught to hate, it doesn’t follow that everything that pisses you off is therefore sanctimonius. It can just be somebody who’s annoyed being a jerk about it.

They’ve had the formulas for years. I got on there talking about DFortae’s mod and they bullied me into figuring out Vanilla and the Bish caster level thing just let me tweak something I was already doing for an extra CL that didn’t come up much.

I get annoyed by people who solo group games depending on how influential they are (and how) on people just trying to play the game well as designed.

Your initial answer was not helpful on that count.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It happens when you mouse over an interactable like an inventory slot. I couldn't find any way to disable it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Life was easier when in games every sound had it's own sound file, and you could delete or replace the annoying ones. In Wiz8 all but the monster sounds seem to be located in a large (half a GB) SOUND.SLF file.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have a running 5 woman party now with most idiotic voice sets possible, and, there is a constant nagging comparison I can't get out of my head. Wiz8 is like a Princess and the Pea.
You have many soft pillows to leasure on yes, but under it, there is learn by use system.
but perhaps I became too sensitive.

Lukifell

Educated
Does Bishop 1 / Mage 1 / Bishop X really give you full caster levels in every school? What would gain from that, anyway? Some bonus Wizardry points?

Desiderius

Patron
Realm pts. Alot for that point in the game. Gives more green circles for higher PL = more effective spells/better training. Mage is only class that gets this.

Put pts on lvling into Wiz/Div/Earth to get to third level spells on time and cast good early Webs.

Can also go Mage1/Bish to unlock Power Cast a good bit earlier. Mostly annoyed that I can’t remember what I did six weeks ago but it worked well.

The CL info is on Steam Forum or they’ll walk you through it. Only grognards left there.

Last edited:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I'm never going to finish Wizardry 6. I keep making new parties, immediately dying to rats, then ragequitting and restarting the cycle.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
OK, I've got the grind down this time. Somehow I didn't realize before that the rogues in the basement dropped keys for the rooms.
Yeah, I've had a bard in all my parties. Helpful, but doesn't help against a rat insta-killing my fighter since their higher speed gives them turn priority. I was going to have all my frontline characters defending before the bard and mage debuffed groups, but it didn't help; whether they were parrying or not, they'd die.

I still think it's gay that you have to savescum to progress, because you can easily wander into an area full of high-level monsters without any kind of warning or way to suss out the level of that area. You go into the wrong room and get raped by a zombie, or a rogue leader, or even large rodents. I guess you could ironman it since you get 7 resurrections right off the bat, but your characters will permanently lose points of vitality every time you do that, so it's a waste when you can just reload a save. Even the manual recommends making frequent saves. All this could have been avoided with some kind of skill that allows characters to sense the level of danger in each area (Scout seems like a prime contender), or at least some kind of marker that you can use as a guide, like bridges in Dragon Quest. I understand that it would've stifled the level design if the monster levels were based strictly on the floor you're on like in previous Wizardry games, but the way they do it in Wiz6 seems really sloppy to me.

I also dislike how you can't tell an enemy's attack range until you see them taking shots at the characters hiding at the back of your party. They could've easily put such information in a bestiary of the manual. Maybe they thought a bestiary would've spoiled the surprise of certain creatures?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the start of Wiz6 is quite brutal.
I guess you need higher initiative with your Bard and spell casters. A high initiative Bard is really the key to success in the beginning.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Things are going quite smoothly in my fourth start in Wiz 8.
With single class Mage and Priest I now have all the crucial protection spells, while the Samurai can cast Missile Shield.

Trying to find those caves at Mt. Gigas (did I really miss them, or do I need to advance the plot first?) I wound up near Ascension Peak and met Bela. I thought Bela was a female dragon, but now it's a male demon? Too bad I didn't have Jaesun's fabled The Ring, but I guess that's what a replay of 6-7-8 is for.

I hate those puking plants. I avoid them whenever I can. Especially the caustic ones.

To reduce respawning I've only rested once so far.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You missed the Umpani base, if I remember correctly, there's two bridges in the northern wilderness area, one lead to the Umpani and the other one is the one you crossed, guarded by a golem.

Plants are a pain, I also avoid the high level ones when I can because they're annoying and have a lot of HP.
With two offensive casters + a ranger, they go down relatively easy though.

The samurai can also cast blinding flash, which is quite useful against many annoying ranged enemies or too important bandits groups.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You missed the Umpani base, if I remember correctly, there's two bridges in the northern wilderness area, one lead to the Umpani and the other one is the one you crossed, guarded by a golem.
I forgot to mention that I was at the Umpani base and joined them, but I didn't find any cave entrance there.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Then you just have to get enlisted and do their quests until you get a lvl 2 or 3 pass to use the elevator.

I think it requires the T'Rang arm from Marten's Bluff/ The T'Rang base.

And buy an Umpani flag if you want to play both sides.

Glory to the T'Rang empire!

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm never going to finish Wizardry 6. I keep making new parties, immediately dying to rats, then ragequitting and restarting the cycle.
Sounds like me with Wizardry 7 - start new party and die to plants and butterflies.

Imagine explaining that to modern gamers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom