Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Samurai requires 55 dex and spd, mook samurai starts with the same value for these as any other race except felpurr/faerie. The piety part is true, though. Also, weapon weight has a big effect on how many swings you get per attack, so the Giant Sword is much worse than it first appears. If you want to use the giant sword, a Fighter will berserk with it to much better effect.
Of course, but getting those stats up to 55 eats all your bonus pts. Hobbit Sam can unlock Reflextion at lvl 12 so you've got some time to train it up. Likewise if you wanted Power Strike or Power Cast. Power Strike isn't really needed if you get Sword and DW up (obv don't need DW with two-hander which is the big appeal of going that way) but Reflextion or Power Cast can make up for inherent weaknesses of the class depending if you go primarily melee (Fighter gets Shield, other frontliners get Stealth) or caster (-4 CL) first.

I love me some Sam aesthetically but the payoffs aren't really there item-wise since there are so many good Swords anyone can use and the Armor is only marginally better than what anyone can wear. Lightning Strike is fine if you know how to trigger it (only triggers if you attacked in melee previous round) but it's another thing that gets nerfed by the way initiative works if you create your own Sam (RPCs always act first after a Move, so if they kill your melee target you can't trigger LS following round). At this pt for me Sam is small party only class (since you get more level-ups to alleviate the stat crunch and don't have the RPC problem). I like to eight-man tho and take my time. I will pick up Tantris is I ever do another vanilla run since he goes to Rift and gets to act first so will train up fast and get plenty of LS.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm getting a certain Unreal vibe from Wiz8...like the Monastery and Marten's Bluff (looks like a very simplified Bluff Eversmoking), and the general mix of SF and Fantasy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Incidentally things are still going quite smoothly with my party.
Finally found the T'Rang.
I still have rested only once (and money is scarce).
Explored the Graveyard, but I seem to miss an item to use in the corner that lights up after activating all the tombstone glyphs.
Only one real party death (but I've done some instant reloading when unable to avoid some tedious encounters, like yet another party of tiresome plants) when meeting some "Deep Ones" (I can never remember their names) on the way to the Sea Cave. Tried to run away, but these freaks are much too fast and can run rings around my party and still be have enough time to casts spells or triple attack. Beat them the second time, though, and then performed a strategic mobile regrouping.

I'm beginning to think about class changing some of my characters.
Once the Priest gets some useful lvl 5 spells (Portal, Purify Air, Heal All, Sane Mind; most of these can be cast from items, though, and the Mage too can learn Portal) I think he needs to be more of a fighting man. He already was a Lord, so that's a natural choice. I know Fighter and Rogue are better, but it would be a pity not to be able to develop his divine skills further.

The Bard has now Music 87, and I want to turn him back to Monk when he reaches 100.

And my Fairy Mage was a Ninja, so that's tempting too, but I guess it depends a bit on which items I aquire. I got a Sai, for example. But Mage and Ninja is rather bad synergy magic wise, so Samurai would be better, except I already have a Samurai.
Maybe a Bishop would be better? After all I've been pumping up Piety.
The pitiful results of the Crush spell kind of make me wary of relying on direct damage spells; better to rely on buffing and disabling, I think.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Personally I don't think think you want both a Bard and a Gadgeteer. They both kinda cover the same niche. And you can get RPCs for either role if you do want both.

I think I've never changed class in 8, except for "straight caster" into "more melee" such as Priest into Lord. Generally straight classes worked best.

Direct damage spells - almost every guide says they're not very good in Wizardry 8 and they aren't exactly wrong. But they're not as bad as the reputation either! Even a small bit of guaranteed damage is pretty good. And there's some absolutely massive encounters that take an hour (without the combat speed hack) where it's very helpful to have AoE spells.
However you really need to focus on them to make them any good so if you're not willing to have a caster laser focus on direct damage spells all the status effects are usually better. But keep in mind resistances are quite high on Expert.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I don't think think you want both a Bard and a Gadgeteer. They both kinda cover the same niche. And you can get RPCs for either role if you do want both.
Well, I suffer a bit from OCD when it comes to good items collecting dust and lacking the characters to use them. I usually don't meta game, so I don't use knowledge of RPCs, but in Wiz 6-8 I make an exception for creating characters that will be able to use restricted items. And knowing about the different endings and beginnings is useful when replaying the games.

Speaking of RPCs, I noticed that after I dismissed Sparkle she was able to move and attack thrice in one round with a melee weapon. It's like every non-PC get 1-2 free extra attacks...

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Mook Sam is kind of a trap becuase low DEX/SPD really hurts if you want to unlock Reflextion (and Sam kind of needs it to survive on Expert frontline) and low PIE is a pain to get spells functional as well. On the other hand off-hand swords aren't great on vanilla and Extended on Giant Sword is badly needed.
There's absolutely nothing trap about it, you get no dachi 30 seconds after entering Arnika and you're immediately MUCH better than standard, lore-friendly sam. Sam is not a rogue or fighter, you ain't getting those 100 unlocks fast anyway and while mook has them delayed a bit, it's not a problem in the big picture. I p. always build my sam dex/spd and never felt it. Having 2hander with occasional lighting strike and crit is exactly what helps you forget about the low str. Of course, you can give your sam bloodlust and it will be better than anything else, but that's true for everyone that can wield it, so moot point.

Samurai requires 55 dex and spd, mook samurai starts with the same value for these as any other race except felpurr/faerie. The piety part is true, though. Also, weapon weight has a big effect on how many swings you get per attack, so the Giant Sword is much worse than it first appears. If you want to use the giant sword, a Fighter will berserk with it to much better effect.
Of course fighter will be more of a presence killing power wise through most of the game. That's, like, duh. Thing is, 2h fighter is literally the most boring shit you can build in the entire game and while it's a great beginner class, it's just way too boring in general once you move past the learning stage.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hurpaherpaderp.

Over my four playthroughs of Wiz8 I've never even seen the cane of corpus.

I don't remember the exact number but the drop rate is quite high and I've dropped it quite often.
Once or twice, I had a fairy ninja and it didn't drop so I had to reload once but it's possible to get very unlucky.

I don't use it that much because of its non-extended range.
Early on, the Hawaï Bo is decent and later you can get the Staff of Doom (cursed but extended, great for a Samurai) or the Zatoïchi Bo (Monk/Sam).

I still have rested only once (and money is scarce).

That's another good reason to have a Ranger whom use the Alchemy realm and can mix potions and powders.
Ninjas also use the alchemy spellbook.
That's where the money is, you can get a lot of money once you reach Arnika this way and soon, like Midas, you turn everything you touch into pure gold.

The pitiful results of the Crush spell kind of make me wary of relying on direct damage spells; better to rely on buffing and disabling, I think.

Crush damage is higly randomized.
But on the right enemy (low earth def), a high level Crush with power cast really hurts...

Same for high level fireball, two characters with high level fireball deal way more damage on a large group than any fighter because 35 dmg x 10+ targets x2 is hard to beat.
And that's without power cast.
A Wizard can do this pretty early.
A Samurai can do it by around level 10-15 depending on his magic skills training.
Same for the Ranger if he regularly uses some fire magic.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
He's right though about the last part, damage spells are inferior to disables, because those are some TOUGH fucking disables. Even more so in 6 and 7.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Once the Priest gets some useful lvl 5 spells (Portal, Purify Air, Heal All, Sane Mind; most of these can be cast from items, though, and the Mage too can learn Portal) I think he needs to be more of a fighting man.
Hmm...my Priest can now pick lvl 5 spells, but Portal, Purify Air and Sane Mind does not appear, only Heal All.
His skills are Divinity 46(57), Air Magic 12 and Divine Magic 63 (he hasn't had the chance to "spam" spells from other skills than DM naturally). For DM he can pick lvl 5 spells, for the others only lvl 4 spells.

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
Once the Priest gets some useful lvl 5 spells (Portal, Purify Air, Heal All, Sane Mind; most of these can be cast from items, though, and the Mage too can learn Portal) I think he needs to be more of a fighting man.
Hmm...my Priest can now pick lvl 5 spells, but Portal, Purify Air and Sane Mind does not appear, only Heal All.
His skills are Divinity 46(57), Air Magic 12 and Divine Magic 63 (he hasn't had the chance to "spam" spells from other skills than DM naturally). For DM he can pick lvl 5 spells, for the others only lvl 4 spells.
I believe realm skill is a small part of the calculus for which spell levels you're eligible to learn, so if it's very low you won't see those spells until a few levels beyond the minimum.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
He's right though about the last part, damage spells are inferior to disables, because those are some TOUGH fucking disables. Even more so in 6 and 7.

Nobody in his right mind will dispute that fact.

But it depends on your enemies HP, numbers, group numbers, resistances and how scattered they are.
Once you get high enough magic skills:
Low HP (<50) and grouped foes are best dealt with AoE damage spells.
Average HP (<100) and grouped monsters are best delt with AoE damage spells if you can cast 2 per turn.
High HP monsters are best dealt with disables.

It also depends on your ranged capabilities, because multiple damage AoE spells + skilled multi-shot ranged characters will just wipe your enemies out before they even reach close combat.
And it's wise to throw a couple of AoE damaging spells on enemy mages and also lock them with your ranger and/or your gadgeteer so they can't even act and disable your party.

On the other hand, if you're surrounded or about to be, multiple disables is the only way to survive.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes exactly. I've always said this. Damage spells have their niche - but you need to build for them. A direct damage mage isn't bad at all. It's just that all the status effect spells are often more important. If your party starts with good disables, such as by having a Bard or something like that, you can afford to have a Mage spec for direct damage and it can be pretty helpful - although it's not always what you need.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So in Wiz 8 I got a mission from Ballbreaker to report to Rubble for more training. However, he is nowhere to be found, and I need lvl 5 clearance to access the staff areas. There's some training computer that breaks when I try to use it. Tried to use the wires I found at Marten's Bluff to fix it, but that didn't work. Can't carry it back either.
The only place to go is down, but my party ran away to a safe space when facing Black Slimes (nasty, nasty!).
Can't report back to Ballbreaker; he says I report to the general now, but I'm still stuck with a lvl 3 cleareance. Oh well, I guess I just have to explore other areas and return to the Black Slimes area later.

BTW, what use is the Light spell? I guess some spam it to increase Fire Magic, but then you can already spam Energy Blast in combat (most enemies have relatively low Fire res).

notpl

Arbiter
You don't need any item to fix the training computer, just plug the wires back in and then you can do the training.

The purpose of the light spell is to make things brighter. Was that a serious question?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
But there's no dark areas (so far)?

But there is.
In the lower monastery, for instance (sewers part) and in the retro dungeon you can unlock from the cemetery in Arnika road (between the monastery exit and Arnika).

There is some runes to activate behind a couple of tombstones, you might need a common dagger and stick it somewhere first, yeah, it's a tough one to find.

It's also quite dark whenever you travel at night, particularly in the swamps.
It might depend on your screen brightness and contrast settings, Wizardry 8 doesn't have pitch black areas for no good reason like most modern garbage.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think the main thing that makes Wiz8 much easier than Wiz7 is that mana regeneration is so rapid. I haven't needed to rest once, except for the Mook incident. So I can "unleash hell" if I want to and generally experiment with spells, and not worry too much about running out of mana.
And now that my Bard got the Dulcimer of Heal All, I don't even need to use much magic in most battles.
The most scary things at this stage (lvl 14-15) are monsters that spam group status effects, like Black Slimes and Cave Spiders, since they always get the initiative. In hindsight I guess I should have given my Priest and Mage more Speed. My second party death came from four Cave Spiders spamming Web, making the whole party helpless.

Tony

Novice
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the main thing that makes Wiz8 much easier than Wiz7 is that mana regeneration is so rapid. I haven't needed to rest once, except for the Mook incident. So I can "unleash hell" if I want to and generally experiment with spells, and not worry too much about running out of mana.
And now that my Bard got the Dulcimer of Heal All, I don't even need to use much magic in most battles.
The most scary things at this stage (lvl 14-15) are monsters that spam group status effects, like Black Slimes and Cave Spiders, since they always get the initiative. In hindsight I guess I should have given my Priest and Mage more Speed. My second party death came from four Cave Spiders spamming Web, making the whole party helpless.
This is much different than my experience through all my playthroughs. I was always out of mana and always resting to restore it. I definitely cast over and over for skill increases, but even if I didn't I'd be out of mana pretty constantly, especially early game.

notpl

Arbiter
I didn't realize mana even regenerated without resting or equipping an SP-restore item, of which there are not many.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My main caster Buzzzzz is a Fairy (extra regen) Mage, while Valks, Gadgeteer and a Samurai provide all the buffing, protection and utility (except Portal) spells. So Buzzzzz can concentrate on the battle spells when they are needed. Now that I got that Dulcimer it's rarely needed, though, it's more like "Oh, I'm fully stocked up on Fire Magic, so I guess I can toss a Fireball". I don't even need to spend mana on Heal spells.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Do we consider Wizards & Warriors sort of part of the Wizardry experience? I mean, i sure felt some wizardry vibes with it.

Was there already a difficulty rating thread on toughest wizardry to easiest?

Codex Year of the Donut
Do we consider Wizards & Warriors sort of part of the Wizardry experience? I mean, i sure felt some wizardry vibes with it.

Was there already a difficulty rating thread on toughest wizardry to easiest?
It's as much of a wizardry as grimoire is

which is significantly more than anything using the wizardry license after wiz8

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes exactly. I've always said this. Damage spells have their niche - but you need to build for them. A direct damage mage isn't bad at all. It's just that all the status effect spells are often more important. If your party starts with good disables, such as by having a Bard or something like that, you can afford to have a Mage spec for direct damage and it can be pretty helpful - although it's not always what you need.
On normal, yes. Expert requires some different tactics, tho disables aren't as useless there as some suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom