Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

Stompa

Arcane
^ that shit was dumb and you also lose rep for some reason if you give the cargo to the rightful owner.

hivemind

You guys don't understand, it's just a videogame so that's a very strong and impactful morally crushing scene.

GloomFrost

Arcane
You guys don't understand, it's just a videogame so that's a very strong and impactful morally crushing scene.
There is absolutely no need for your sarcasm. Last year the RPG of the year and GOTY was given to DA:I where 90% of the time you just kill monsters.
Also that particular quest is just one from dozens and dozens. Obviously some quests are better then others.

hivemind

GloomFrost
>There is absolutely no need for your sarcasm. Last year the RPG of the year and GOTY was given to DA:I where 90% of the time you just kill monsters.
Your point here being what exactly?

>Also that particular quest is just one from dozens and dozens. Obviously some quests are better then others.
Yeah I know, I'm not commentating on the quality of the games overall writing, just on a thought process that is sometimes being exhibited by some video game fans.

GloomFrost

Arcane
GloomFrost
>There is absolutely no need for your sarcasm. Last year the RPG of the year and GOTY was given to DA:I where 90% of the time you just kill monsters.
Your point here being what exactly?

My point is that I do not understand how can people complain about such insignificant details like this quest when the whole RPG genre is such a mess nowdays. Also even this mediocre and bad written quest gives you some freedom, choices and consequences etc.

Beowulf

Arcane
My point is that I do not understand how can people complain about such insignificant details like this quest when the whole RPG genre is such a mess nowdays. Also even this mediocre and bad written quest gives you some freedom, choices and consequences etc.

If it's a mess, than isn't it in that state because (amongst any other issues) quests like this?
And yes, it gives you c&c, but badly designed, so it is not a redeeming point in any way. But you a right about it being one quest among many.

Angthoron

Arcane
speaking of writing...

strolling around the countryside, I come across two hostile 'looters' who immediately attack me and die almost as immediately

five steps ahead I see more lootaz, this time neutral

conversation!

PSGWLP.jpg

YOU KILLED OUR FOLK WHO BUMRUSHED YOU IN A FRENZY OF BLOODLUST? YOU MURDERER ;_;

yzTY0j.jpg

WE ARE JUST SELF-DEFENDING OURSELVES FROM DIS STORM BY BUMRUSHING PEOPLE IN A FRENZY OF BLOODLUST ;_;

1. We mistook your cousins for looters which certainly was a big mistake considering how they bumrushed us 2 versus 5 in a frenzy of bloodlust.

i dont even :retarded:
Why didn't you post the dialogue you get if you let them keep the loot? It's amazing.

The woman, whose two cousins you just murdered (And just to be clear, you cannot sneak past, I tried - gap not wide enough), this woman, she thanks you and says that this seems to be their first lucky break in ages.

Oh well, maybe they were shitty cousins, like Cuzin Roman.

Ninjerk

Arcane
"You've recently entered the magical land of Tir'Nya'Josh'Dswayer. But alas, a cruel plague torments the land! People are suffering from multitude of serious complications! They are fat! Their pancreas are not producing enough insulin! Can you, a stranger with no personal connection, solve this mysterious illness that costs the health service of Tir'Nya'Josh'Dswayer millions of copper coins every year?"

Some children are born hollow. It's a tragedy. But like certain NPC says, even the residents have found a solution: stop making babies. Or move somewhere else. Quest solved, roll credits.
Well, Obsidian thought it was important enough to put in the ending slides if you solve it. I also didn't realize you don't know what a plot hook is.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have no idea what "plot hook" is, but like I said: it makes a really poor narrative hook. You're not even travelling with your pregnant wife/sister/cousin/dog. Like diabetes, increased rate of stillbirths doesn't have the urgency or the necessary degree of mystery required to get the player involved. Even investigating LK worked better, at least up to the point when
it was revealed that this mystery organization is basically one man show...

Angthoron

Arcane
I have no idea what "plot hook" is, but like I said: it makes a really poor narrative hook. You're not even travelling with your pregnant wife/sister/cousin/dog. Like diabetes, increased rate of stillbirths doesn't have the urgency nor does it really have the degree of mystery required. Even investigating LK worked better, at least up to the point when
Ah but Haba, you're moving to live there, and probably to hit on womyn and make babbys and then you're there and holy shit you can't make babbys. You say FUCK THIS SHIT IMMA GET 'EM BABY MACHINES WORKING AGAIN and set off on an adventure of your lifetime, upon the conclusion of which you're practically covered by women that can make babbys with stuffing.

This is simple stuff man, simple stuff.

RPGMaster

Savant
Average writing for a video game is still miles better than 99.9% of video games.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I have no idea what "plot hook" is, but like I said: it makes a really poor narrative hook. You're not even travelling with your pregnant wife/sister/cousin/dog. Like diabetes, increased rate of stillbirths doesn't have the urgency nor does it really have the degree of mystery required. Even investigating LK worked better, at least up to the point when
Ah but Haba, you're moving to live there, and probably to hit on womyn and make babbys and then you're there and holy shit you can't make babbys. You say FUCK THIS SHIT IMMA GET 'EM BABY MACHINES WORKING AGAIN and set off on an adventure of your lifetime, upon the conclusion of which you're practically covered by women that can make babbys with stuffing.

That's why the game needs romances.

Angthoron

Arcane

That's why the game needs romances.
Those Backer NPCs should all be romanceable.

^I liked it. Made those trash mobs seem not so 'trash' and 'mobs'.

Would probably be a bit better if they didn't act like rabid dogs as soon as they are one screen away from their civilized trashy mobby friends, though. It's somewhat realistic to be blamed for someone else's criminally stupid behaviour but that doesn't make it less annoying.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
speaking of writing...

strolling around the countryside, I come across two hostile 'looters' who immediately attack me and die almost as immediately

five steps ahead I see more lootaz, this time neutral

conversation!
PSGWLP.jpg

YOU KILLED OUR FOLK WHO BUMRUSHED YOU IN A FRENZY OF BLOODLUST? YOU MURDERER ;_;

yzTY0j.jpg
WE ARE JUST SELF-DEFENDING OURSELVES FROM DIS STORM BY BUMRUSHING PEOPLE IN A FRENZY OF BLOODLUST ;_;

1. We mistook your cousins for looters which certainly was a big mistake considering how they bumrushed us 2 versus 5 in a frenzy of bloodlust.

i dont even :retarded:

For some reason it reminds me of this. It's always the victim's fault if they are attacked by the downtrodden. You should have let them kill you, just like that woman should have let the kid steal her phone.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good guys are pussies.

Was thinking that too until I encountered a quest when Honest option led to death of two criminal scum... Good doesn't means always Nice aka pussy.

Yes Most of good gods/Paladin orders have the second preferred option beside the pussy one... and you are not even punished for choosing other options in dialogue unless its asshole edgy evil aka cruel.

I have no idea what "plot hook" is, but like I said: it makes a really poor narrative hook.
A biblical catastrophe, and you can't figure out how it could force the player to act? Of course the entire wandering caravan start would have to be changed but other than that it's not a hard hook to support.

Gord

Arcane
I have no idea what "plot hook" is, but like I said: it makes a really poor narrative hook. You're not even travelling with your pregnant wife/sister/cousin/dog. Like diabetes, increased rate of stillbirths doesn't have the urgency or the necessary degree of mystery required to get the player involved. Even investigating LK worked better, at least up to the point when

Actually I think the player motivation is more supposed to be more along the lines of "Find out why you suddenly see dead people *insert condensed breath* and how you can prevent possibly getting mad"

But anyway I wonder if it makes sense discussing this as it varies a lot what people find acceptable there.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I dislike what Ellesime, sorry, Deionarra, arrhh, the Chick, said about the gods
it feels too simple and finally ruins part of the mystery that surrounded the setting about souls and gods. it's 14(16?) century but it is a modern morality and feels like it is written by an atheist
I'm not very much a believing person but I was hoping for plot twists and characters reacting in some other manner
I guess it's a lot like d&d and power through belief in PST but it doesn't feel historical or mysterious, and also seen that plot twist in every JRPG ever since japanese for some reason love love love making plots about false kind gods, good misunderstood devils and humans working themselves for better future without gods

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
For me, the final blow comes at the end of Act 2 ,i thought the story was getting pretty interesting (being quite vaque the whole time) and out nowhere the Godhammer Bumb smashes the plot away and saves the fucking day ,because having a good narrative is a heresy nowadays ,right?
I mean how the fuck can you ruin a good scene in such a manner?From there everything went from shit to exquisite shit,it felt like someone flushed the toilet because the shit was getting out of boundaries and thought ''Lets flush it all away and start from scratch'' .

Angthoron

Arcane
For me, the final blow comes at the end of Act 2 ,i thought the story was getting pretty interesting (being quite vaque the whole time) and out nowhere the Godhammer Bumb smashes the plot away and saves the fucking day ,because having a good narrative is a heresy nowadays ,right?
I mean how the fuck can you ruin a good scene in such a manner?From there everything went from shit to exquisite shit,it felt like someone flushed the toilet because the shit was getting out of boundaries and thought ''Lets flush it all away and start from scratch'' .
Well, Act 3 seems to be starting out okay again, but I'm not very far into it, and not following the main plot. End of act 2... I don't know what to say about it. I'd REALLY like to ask Obsidian what they thought when they made it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom