Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The XP for Combat Megathread! DISCUSS!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you give some examples of objectives as opposed to quests because I'm not really clear on what they are.
I don't think any have been shown yet, but I think can think of several things that might happen.

Find a dungeon of somekind in the wilderness -> get xp. Get to the end and find the fat loot -> xp. I expect the mega-dungeon will have various objects which give XP without being explicitly quests, like each level you reach will probably give xp.

Can you give some examples of objectives as opposed to quests because I'm not really clear on what they are.
I don't think any have been shown yet, but I think can think of several things that might happen.

Find a dungeon of somekind in the wilderness -> get xp. Get to the end and find the fat loot -> xp. I expect the mega-dungeon will have various objects which give XP without being explicitly quests, like each level you reach will probably give xp.
So there's no examples in the beta?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
So don't make a character build that's at odds with your preferred playstyle.
So a smooth talking gunman is a nono in your world?
Well, you can't be great at everything. Under the system I was suggesting, you would need to balance your actions between smooth-talking solutions and gunman solutions to remain good at both, and even then you wouldn't be as good at either as a dedicated smooth-talker or dedicated gunman character. It was just a not particularly well thought out example though, not my perfect one-size-fits-all XP solution.

Take this line of thought a step further, and why even have XP in that game? Why not just level characters up at predefined points in the story? The balance would be unmatched.
You have xp because there are still sidequests,no need to be a smartass.
Okay but my point is, why award XP for sidequests if the goal is just steady linear progression?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, you can't be great at everything. Under the system I was suggesting, you would need to balance your actions between smooth-talking solutions and gunman solutions to remain good at both, and even then you wouldn't be as good at either as a dedicated smooth-talker or dedicated gunman character. It was just a not particularly well thought out example though, not my perfect one-size-fits-all XP solution.
Just to follow up this tangent a little, I'm not a fan of "use it or lose it" skill-degrading mechanics; they lead to one-trick ponies. Kinda reminds me of Paragon/Renegade, you know? Once you pick something, you better stick with it and let everything else go to hell ... every time you don't use Skill X is another chance for it to get weaker.

Okay but my point is, why award XP for sidequests if the goal is just steady linear progression?
In the case of PoE, I don't believe that the goal is steady linear progression. It seems that the idea is to inspire involvement in the storyline(s) without encouraging any particular solution methods. A side quest is still a storyline that they want you to feel mechanically motivated to engage in.

Lhynn

Arcane
Thats a problem that comes with finite exp.
Meanwhile the ability to go to arbitrary level by grinding the same shit over and over is a problem that comes with infinite XP.
The fact that xp is infinite turns it into something not worth micromanaging, which lets you focus on other parts of the game without feeling like a contrived, forced down your throat way to keep the game challenging.

I got two complains in the game systems so far, the first is the fact that you only get xp from quests, the second is that its the same exp no matter how you solve them. That may be accomodating design for many kinds of gameplay but it is ill suited for this kind of cRPG. It feels artificial, forced and nonsensical.

Also let the people that want to grind, grind, there is not a single problem with that other than the one you have in your heads, and he has created several real problems to get rid of one that no one gave a shit about.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"IE games "want" you to kill everything in sight."
No, they don't. Did you REALLY hunt down every last fukkin' xfart for 7xp? COME THE FUCK ON.
So XP isn't a motivating reward? Is that what you're saying?

It depends on your personal risk-reward evaluation of any given situation, that's what I'm saying.

Alfons

Prophet
2 things is far from everything,I imagine most rpgs have more than 2.The main problem I have with your idea is not even the cap on skills,it's the learn by doing mechanic that really bugs me because it doesn't force you to build your PC in a certain way it actually forces you to act in a certain way which is a bad idea in an rpg.

You completely misunderstood,I said that this can work in a more linear game not that the goal is to make the game more linear.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"IE games "want" you to kill everything in sight."
No, they don't. Did you REALLY hunt down every last fukkin' xfart for 7xp? COME THE FUCK ON.
So XP isn't a motivating reward? Is that what you're saying?
It depends on your personal risk-reward evaluation of any given situation, that's what I'm saying.
Well, my intention was to bait Volourn in particular, since her point of view is so simplistic and stupid, but OK. Risk-reward is pretty pertinent to the discussion.

First off, it seems that the intention of PoE is not so much to reward risk as to reward participation in its stories. I guess one way to phrase that would be: growth is narrative rather than systemic.

But, even assuming that rewarding risk is what we want to do: there essentially is no "risk" to CRPG combat, not just because you can always reload. Running around killing 200 groups of bears really is no more risky than killing 1 group of bears; once you've determined you're tough enough to take a group, doing the same thing 199 more times isn't risky at all. But even if a few bears along the line do get lucky crits or whatever, well, that's what reloading is for.

Largely, combat XP is not a reward for taking a risk; it's a reward for putting in the hours. It's a wage for taking the time to perform time-consuming, repetitive actions. Another word for this is "work". :)

The exceptions are the big set-piece combats against the "final boss" at the end of the questline, or at dramatically interesting points along the way - these encounter designs are generally made to be more challenging and also tie in with the progression or resolution of the story. So again, it's kind of not relevant whether you get 10 xp per crossbowman guarding the evil wizard; what's relevant is that you stopped the wizard somehow and got your 5000 xp for completing an important objective.

My 2gp.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I loved in VtMB that I was equally rewarded no matter how I solved a quest.
There are several quests in Bloodlines that give greater reward to stealth solutions. It's a bad game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Largely, combat XP is not a reward for taking a risk; it's a reward for putting in the hours. It's a wage for taking the time to perform time-consuming, repetitive actions. Another word for this is "work". :)

The exceptions are the big set-piece combats against the "final boss" at the end of the questline, or at dramatically interesting points along the way

So why even have trash mobs in a game like PoE? It's not like there's a subscription fee.

Zombra

Patron
The exceptions are the big set-piece combats against the "final boss" at the end of the questline, or at dramatically interesting points along the way
So why even have trash mobs in a game like PoE? It's not like there's a subscription fee.
Eh, I'm not a big fan of trash mobs as a majority staple of gameplay, but off the top of my head, they do serve a few important purposes:

1) Keep the player sharp on the combat system so he's not flummoxed for the important fights. Periodic "tutorial fights" are a good thing, especially as characters gain new abilities. Gotta try that new ice spell on orcs a few times before using it on the dragon.

2) Dramatic establishment of the PCs as tough guys. Same reason every action movie starts with the hero beating up a few worthless thugs in a bar. After you've singlehandedly killed a few bears, it makes sense that you would have the confidence to face down an ogre. Otherwise, you're just some dude off the street who decides to go fight the army of the evil wizard? What are you, crazy? It's good to remind the hero that he's powerful, and give him opportunities to prove it.

3) Dramatic establishment of major villains as especially scary. If you have to fight 500 black knights to reach the possessed queen, she's more impressive than if she was living alone in a hut and you can just walk in.

But yeah, as far as spending 3 hours fighting trash mobs for every 1 hour of story-related gameplay, I'm definitely not a fan.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
YOU are a bad game, faggot. VtM:B is awesome.
I'm sorry that thing you like so much is bad but them's the breaks.
Actually thats one of the best parts of the game, it rewarding stealth on a situation that calls for it instead of giving you the same exp for any aproach that gets the job done (which is lame, lazy and retarded). It is fitting in that setting because its not combat focused, there are way more skills and even powers to interact with the world and NPCs than there are to use exclusively in combat.

In that game experience doesnt necessarily make you stronger, just more capable, unlike PoE. So non combat related rewards over combat related rewards do make a fuckton of sense.

roshan

Arcane
Listen. What you are missing is that in any system with rewards for some things but not others, the design "wants" you to do some things but not others.

PoE "wants" you to do quests. You're correct that this isn't exactly "freedom", except in the sense that you can do quests however you want.
IE games "want" you to kill everything in sight. This is not "freedom" either.

The D&D reward structure isn't some magical utopian perfect system of wondrous freedom, freedom, freedom. It's just the first one you played, so you're used to it.

Stop trying to frame the lack of combat XP as being any more oppressive or controlling than combat XP. Either way, the design is "telling" you what to do.

The only question is whether we as players prefer to be guided towards slaughtering things for no reason, or towards engaging in meaningful problems with some kind of story. I know which I prefer (and apparently, which Obsidian prefers).

:lol:

The IE games wanted you to kill everything on sight - this is why they implemented harsh penalties for doing that very action! From cowled wizards, to flaming fist emforcers, to reputation penalties, to losing access to stores, to breaking questlines, to instant game overs.... For 2 XP that a civilian would give :lol: Sorry but with such nonsensical talk you are showing desperation.

Zombra

Patron
Sigh. Obviously we are not also talking about the disincentives to crime in towns. If you want to fight the windmills on NPCs killing, knock yourself out (and I hope you get lots of xp), but no one is really talking about that.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
In the case of PoE, I don't believe that the goal is steady linear progression. It seems that the idea is to inspire involvement in the storyline(s) without encouraging any particular solution methods. A side quest is still a storyline that they want you to feel mechanically motivated to engage in.
Isn't the story fun enough by itself, without bribing the player with XP? :smug:
You already get loot for completing quests, do you really need that extra dopamine boost of seeing a number go up? :smug:

:troll:
Honestly though, I suspect Sawyer just included quest XP because people would have rioted if he cut it out completely. So he got as close as he could while still giving people their regular Pavlovian rewards

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why even have loot? Why have combat? Why have dialogue? Why have gameplay? Just write a book!!! You shouldn't need to briber PLAYERS to read your fukkin' story.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't the story fun enough by itself, without bribing the player with XP? :smug:
You already get loot for completing quests, do you really need that extra dopamine boost of seeing a number go up? :smug:

Honestly though, I suspect Sawyer just included quest XP because people would have rioted if he cut it out completely. So he got as close as he could while still giving people their regular Pavlovian rewards

You need experience to level up. You're supposed to level up as you progress through the game's story, to introduce new mechanics and abilities for the player to use. Quests are the building blocks of the game's story, and their moment of resolution is a convenient place to hand out those chunks of experience.

Zombra

Patron
Isn't the story fun enough by itself, without bribing the player with XP?
You already get loot for completing quests, do you really need that extra dopamine boost of seeing a number go up?
Funny guy. If the devs don't want to put mechanical incentives on quests and scripted objectives, it's fine with me. The choice of the behaviors they want to encourage and what they don't want to encourage is up to them. I've already gone on record stating that I will do quests even if there is no XP for them, because I like participating in stories and conflicts. However, if the devs choose to systemically incentivize that behavior (and they do!), it means that the game I want to play and the game they want me to play are very similar ... honestly, that makes me way more excited about this game.

Yeah. Well, there is still levelling to be considered, and I think in an RPG, especially of this type, there does need to be character progression. Aaaaand as I try to compose this paragraph I see Infinitron has already beaten me to it. So .... what he said.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Actually thats one of the best parts of the game, it rewarding stealth on a situation that calls for it instead of giving you the same exp for any aproach that gets the job done (which is lame, lazy and retarded). It is fitting in that setting because its not combat focused, there are way more skills and even powers to interact with the world and NPCs than there are to use exclusively in combat.

In that game experience doesnt necessarily make you stronger, just more capable, unlike PoE. So non combat related rewards over combat related rewards do make a fuckton of sense.
10nuzgn.jpg

In those particular quests, stealth is pure benefit. It's both the past of least resistance and the one that gets you the most reward. Not compelling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom