Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

There's no RPGs in our RPGs

Quillon

Arcane
This issue would be the last on my list as RPG issues go :P but Mass Effect 1 has Pinnacle Station DLC which is basically a game/simulation...so real it looks like the actual world! or ME1 game :D

Wunderbar

Arcane
Anachronox is chok full of minigames, some of which are in-universe video games.
You can even find/buy new cartridges for your console.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
If there was an RPG in my RPG that didn't contain an RPG, that'd be kind of disappointing.

Shenmue had an arcade you could enter and play SEGA arcade classics ( Space Harrier, Excitebike Hang On), as well as other shit (like darts). There was also a way to attain Sega Saturn CDs of those games in stores and play those games on Ryu's Sega Saturn at home. Shenmue II had street pachinko gambling and what all else I can't remember.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Seems like a weird thing to want.
I think what he's getting at, it's like how in some games there are a conspicuous lack of toilets. Things like that can be jarring. Game devs will pour all kinds of work into world building, and forget the simple fact that people play. There being no reference to people playing games within games is a jarring omission.

Only a subset of players really care, most of us just want to have fun and don't think about imersun and toilets in games

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
7wuWdwP.jpg

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Simon the Sorcerer 1 also had a similar scene to the Apartments & Accountants gag from Simon the Sorcerer 2: some wizards who bought Mahjong, but didn't know the rules so they were trying to play it as a pen and paper RPG.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Prey some crew members play some kind of P&P RPG akin to D&D. You can find the character sheet, their audio log of the game, etc.

Ah, that reminds me that you can find a bunch of dead guys in a house in ELEX and they have pen and paper character sheets on their table.

Seems like a weird thing to want.
I think what he's getting at, it's like how in some games there are a conspicuous lack of toilets. Things like that can be jarring. Game devs will pour all kinds of work into world building, and forget the simple fact that people play. There being no reference to people playing games within games is a jarring omission. Bioware is really, really good at this kind of stuff. Like in Inquisition, there's a whole quest relating to a romance novel. Because of course there are romance novels. Why wouldn't there be.

Yep.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Budokan (that old fighting game from 80s) had Arkanoid inside.
Arx Fatalis had roulette-like table.
latest

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I was playing GTA 3 a few days ago ago noticed that GTA 1 and GTA 2 show up on some of the computer screens in the internet cafe on Staunton Island:

inside-the-tw-internet-cafe-in-grand-theft-auto-iii-23760543.png

Also, I couldn't be bothered to play Simon the Sorcerer 3D, but I did watch a let's play a few years ago and remembered the Apartments and Accountants players showed up again:

Technomancer

Liturgist
But we don't hear anything about computer games - let alone RPGs! - in sci-fi games like Mass Effect.
Mass Effect comes to mind. There's a game shop on the citadel.

"I wish they still made roleplaying games like they used to. These days it's all 'big choices' and 'visceral combat.' I miss those old games where you had to remember to drink water, and it took you five hours real time to fly somewhere!" - Bioware throwing shade.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom