Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This Fall is going to be the greatest fall in the history of RPGs

Which one looks the shittest so far

• Total voters

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm looking forward to the articles. "Why your friend making fun of BioWare employees being laid off is probably a fascist."

Incognito

Backlog incliner
Patron
This shouldn't have surprised anyone really. It was an XBOX SHOWCASE. Targeting not only console bros, but the lowest form of console bro: the XBOX bro. Do you know what kind of person follows the xbox ecosystem? You do.

Froila

Educated
In 10 or 20 years all this games will become underrated in its time classics.

Games don't have that spark anymore to be remembered. Thanks to corporate sanitization every game looks like the same kind of slop while being "super unique, diverse, quirky" and whatnot. Every game trailer shows trampling a the zoo or radfem day tripping with marvel humor.

Hell of an achievement i guess to make everything feel exactly the same.
It was a joke of course, but I wouldn't be so dramatic.

Sure, it seems there's nothing original or interesting about these games, just attempts to repeat someone else's successful ideas and show all today's fads.

Who will cares about them in a decade or two? Only some game history lovers.

Incognito

Backlog incliner
Patron

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Dragon age looks bad but will probably still have some crpg stuff I can enjoy. I can't say the same for avowed where the combat looks worse than starfield and the lore is being written by the guy who somehow made a grand inquisitor reference seem stupid. Havent looked up anything of the other two.

Froila

Educated
I like the distribution of votes.

Looks like people here don't care about Fable and give Obsidian some benefit of the doubt.

Alex

Arcane
You guys should join in on playing JRPGs. It's a good time to be a fan of the genre.
giphy.webp

I haven't seen a good jrpg in years. The genre really declined after the Playstation era ended.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Looks like people here don't care about Fable and give Obsidian some benefit of the doubt.
Never cared about Fable. Avowed just looks really bland and unambitious. Bloodlines 2 and DA4 have the globohomo cranked up to 11.

Alex

Arcane
Last edited:

ChildInTime

Savant
I think Vtmb2 will be fine if they actually allow you to make a male MC instead of that trans icon they have now, Fable is an automatic fail that no one cares about, Avowed will just be boring, but at least they have a sorta cute black girl, DA4 takes the lead in the shitty diarrhea department.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
You guys should join in on playing JRPGs. It's a good time to be a fan of the genre.
giphy.webp
The problem is that most of them have awful anime art style
Yep.
One of my main gripes about jrpgs.
I don't mind all the japanese design principles, some of them bother me like HP bloat and ridiculous boss fights.
But, yeah, only chance you gonna see a white man in a video game today is probably in a japanese game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

I haven't seen a good jrpg in years. The genre really declined after the Playstation era ended.
May I direct you to...
The last persona game I played had a two in its title. Is the gameplay anything new, or is it pretty much the same as the older tittles?
That's not a Persona game. The original Shin Megami Tensei series is a whole different beast. It's more of a hardcore RPG and not the story-driven relationship-sim game Persona is.

Alex

Arcane

May I direct you to...
The last persona game I played had a two in its title. Is the gameplay anything new, or is it pretty much the same as the older tittles?
That's not a Persona game. The original Shin Megami Tensei series is a whole different beast. It's more of a hardcore RPG and not the story-driven relationship-sim game Persona is.

I am not entirely sure whether you think I am talking about the blobber games or if you are saying that Persona 2 was a completely different kind of game. It didn't have any "relationship-sim" elements that I remember, although there was a thingy were you could make rumours come true. But either way, what I am most interested in knowing is how combat and character building changed between the games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

May I direct you to...

I am not entirely sure whether you think I am talking about the blobber games or if you are saying that Persona 2 was a completely different kind of game. It didn't have any "relationship-sim" elements that I remember, although there was a thingy were you could make rumours come true. But either way, what I am most interested in knowing is how combat and character building changed between the games.
Yeah OK P1 and P2 didn't have actual relationship sim elements until P3, but they are the story-focused, streamlined cousins of SMT games.
SMT games --while they have good stories and atmosphere-- are basically about exploring big intricate maps and combat-heavy. Combat and character building mostly relies on recruiting demons and fusing them in order to create better demons and gain better skills. So you basically build and evolve your party yourself, all through the game, because these demons are your party members.
Fusion in persona games is basic and mostly works as a side skill, the maps nothing special and combat is not very challenging.

Wasteland

Educated

Never cared about Fable. Avowed just looks really bland and unambitious. Bloodlines 2 and DA4 have the globohomo cranked up to 11.
Yeah, the good news for Obsidian is that a trailer released yesterday making Avowed look somewhat tolerable. The bad news is that that trailer was released by Bioware, and it only makes Avowed look good by contrast to Disney/Pixar's How to Train Your Dragon Age: Failhard.

You're right on. Avowed will suck, but VtmB and DA4 look like legendary shit storms. This year's shaping up to be hilarious.

Mortmal

Arcane
Which one looks the shittest so far? Ah, it’s really hard this year to answer this question. We have a strong challenger this year: Veilguard forcing diversity and DEI agenda with an MCU-like presentation—bold, really bold. But is truly hamfisted wokeness enough to outshine Fable 4's trannification? Avowed will be just the usual Microsoft shovelware by the so-loved devs from Infinitron. It seems the lesser challenger now, and who would have thought that last year? But let's not underestimate Obsidian; they may still have some aces up their sleeves. Vampire: The Masquerade sure looks shitty and has the most unappealing gameplay seen in a while, but nothing yet to truly compare. So my verdict is it will be between Veilguard and Fable 4."

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The Dragon Age 4 trailer is cheesy, lame and pretentious, and the lack of portraying something specific about the story presents the game as a generic party adventure.
I could have sworn that the Saints Row reboot did a similar trailer with "Meet the Crew", but if they did, I can't find it now. It honestly seems like the same tier of marketing and design for both games, only Veilguard is promising to be really, really gay.
It reminds me of some mobile gatcha crap tbh.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The Dragon Age 4 trailer is cheesy, lame and pretentious, and the lack of portraying something specific about the story presents the game as a generic party adventure.
I could have sworn that the Saints Row reboot did a similar trailer with "Meet the Crew", but if they did, I can't find it now. It honestly seems like the same tier of marketing and design for both games, only Veilguard is promising to be really, really gay.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's mind-boggling to think how we even got to this sorry state. This has to be the most hilarious period of RPG development ever.

Me, when all my competitors self-sabotage themselves into nonrelevence:

1718056639965.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom