Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
West and East of Beregost is boring to me, a long hike with dull encounters, OH WAIT IS THAT DRIZZT? KILL HIM FOR HIS SCIMITARS!

Ebonsword

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
The areas aren't filler at all. I would take BG areas over the "highlighted" areas of BG2 anytime. BG has a sense of adventure that is lacking from BG2. It relies in story/atmosphere to create this sense, instead of the abundant "epicness" or the ridiculously disproportioned loot of BG2.

Traversing the wildereness adds the sense of transience and is what "makes" the story by adding credibility and making it more believable. Combined with not knowing at the same time what or who you're up against, the way the story gradually unfolds without spoiling much, but giving you enough to keep going is part of the game's glory. BG2 and subsequent Bio games are much more constricting and put the player in a predetermined path. BG captures the gameworld and the feel of D&D campaigns more than any other game ever did.

I agree with most of the above.

While I liked BG2 quite a bit, I did miss the sense of exploration I got from BG1.

I had a lot of fun exploring the wilderness, stumbling upon cool sidequests and encounters. (Although, getting ganked by groups of mercenaries and their damn lightning arrows was less fun. :cry: )

BG2 had this to some extent, with things like the serial-killer quest and the various liches you could find, but those types of hidden goodies seemed to disappear in the second half of the game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Re: This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate

Edward_R_Murrow said:
...and have infravision (which is useless).

Infravision is not useless. It lets you see (most) monsters better in darkness, as well as your own party members. I can't remember the specifics, but if you either have the whole party selected and one of them has Infravision, or the party leader has Infravision, then you always see things in Infravision in dark areas.

Granted, it's not very useful, but it's not useless either. Definetely not worth making your character a Half-Elf just to get it. Fortunately, other races get Infravision too.

Wyrmlord said:
Edward, there is no need to explain D&D 2ed mechanics when most of the forum knows and understands it.

Judging by the responses in the "List the RPGs in the order you played them" thread, I would be surprised if your statement is true. Regardless, it's best to eliminate any doubts and try to educate the infidels, correct? :wink:

Mighty Mouse said:
West and East of Beregost is boring to me, a long hike with dull encounters, OH WAIT IS THAT DRIZZT? KILL HIM FOR HIS SCIMITARS!

I have to agree with this. The "filler" areas in BG1 would be a lot better if there wasn't so much loading involved in reaching them. Also, the lack of imagination and suspension of disbelief in a few places (Drizzt encounter, ranger called "Snikt Bub" that hunts with his bare hands and claims that he's the best there is at what he does) really do detract from the game. But some of those "filler" areas are quite good, like the ancient tomb to the far south, the school ruins to the east of Beregost (or thereabouts) and the home of the multi-legged lizards...

Ashery

Prophet
Re: This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate

Unkillable Cat said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:
...and have infravision (which is useless).

Infravision is not useless. It lets you see (most) monsters better in darkness, as well as your own party members. I can't remember the specifics, but if you either have the whole party selected and one of them has Infravision, or the party leader has Infravision, then you always see things in Infravision in dark areas.

There's an option that you have to enable, "Group Infravision," if you want infravision to work when the entire party is selected. Otherwise it'll only work when you have an individual selected that has it (Might also work if you have multiple selected and everyone that's selected has it). It's in the menu right before you the one where you select the auto-pause conditions.

Remember when I said I had technical problems with Candlekeep while I was using the internal screenshot utility? Well...thanks to the science of magic...we can send Motherfucker Shepard back in time.

Chapter Negative Two: Black To The Past

bglp004.jpg

Time to use the export character feature in my current position.

bglp005.jpg

Then I start a new game and import Shepard...into the past!

bglp006.jpg

And here he is...right in he beginning of the game. Skynet ain't got nothing on this shit. We can send people back through time packing loads of gear and without an awkward 5 or so minutes of man ass while the terminator looks for clothes. And there's no such thing as a woman terminator....just like there is no such thing as The Legend of Avatar. Super Avatar Bros is cool though, in a what the hell did they do here kind of way.

bglp007.jpg

I find it interesting that Candlekeep, the place you've lived all your life, is in fog of war to you. Good one.

bglp008.jpg

bglp009.jpg

Time to release the deistic brace and initiate collar-grabbing protocols.

bglp010.jpg

What is this "SPACE BAR" you speak of? Some kind of new designer drug perhaps?

bglp011.jpg

Quiet huh?

bglp012.jpg

Shit just got louder.

bglp013.jpg

The only Bioware game to really tackle evil in a mature way. I mean, obviously a player character is going to turn out rotten if their tutors are telling them to booze it up and shoplift. It's like deep shit man...nature versus nurture and all that....

bglp014.jpg

Well that's a new one....

bglp015.jpg

A collar-grabbing so powerful it not only killed Winthrop, but also invoked the graphical glitch you will likely see a whole lot more of (or not see if Vista decides to bone this LP over).

bglp016.jpg

Awwwwww yeah!

All right...better stop before the Monty Python "Too much silliness" Colonel shuts me down.

bglp017.jpg

I ain't getting your scroll for you. Identify this, motherfucker!

bglp018.jpg

Shepard only uses women...he is not used by them!

bglp019.jpg

Get back in the....oh.....maybe he should have not slapped her so hard...

bglp020.jpg

Shepard has possibly created Mad Cow Disease in Faerun.

bglp021.jpg

bglp022.jpg

First hit, and Shank is juiced like a bad guy in Rambo 4.

bglp025.jpg

Shepard has plans for YOU!

bglp028.jpg

A surprise huh?

bglp029.jpg

SURPRISE! You got fucked up by the cheat keys. Thought you were hot shit with your immunity to damage and ability to despawn after one hit huh? Well you've got another thing coming bub.

bglp030.jpg

Fuck your rat killing quest.

bglp031.jpg

Oh no you didn't....

bglp032.jpg

Oh yes he did!

bglp033.jpg

bglp034.jpg

Another person puts the ass back in assassin.

bglp035.jpg

More beheadings than a guillotine...HEAD SLICER!

bglp036.jpg

The graphical glitch and the threat of a time paradox saves Imoen from a furious collar-grabbing.

bglp037.jpg

Hmmmm...maybe I could save Gorion with my future knowledge and superior equipment.....

bglp038.jpg

bglp039.jpg

bglp040.jpg

bglp041.jpg

Nah.

ElectricOtter

Fucking awesome. You should kill every non-vital npc in the game :lol:

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Feral Kid said:
The areas aren't filler at all.

Oh looks like I'm in the forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves! Let's move west.
What's this? I'm in the forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves? Huh? Ok I'll better move south.
I arrived. Wow - what a nice forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves. I feel like I wasn't here in ages!

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
MetalCraze said:
The Feral Kid said:

Oh looks like I'm in the forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves! Let's move west.
What's this? I'm in the forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves? Huh? Ok I'll better move south.
I arrived. Wow - what a nice forest with the same looking trees, spiders and wolves. I feel like I wasn't here in ages!
That's no "filler", that's "wilderness"

The Feral Kid

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
The Feral Kid said:

Do you often reply to posts you haven't fully read or failed to comprehend?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah I read all your post - some unrelated bullshit not relevant to our discussion (which, hint, was about location design), then some stupid argument about how boring copy-pasted locations add to the story and how all other Bioware games are more linear because they don't use the filler locations along the main railroad. Really BG is no better than ME in this aspect.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Yeah I read all your post - some unrelated bullshit not relevant to our discussion (which, hint, was about location design), then some stupid argument about how boring copy-pasted locations add to the story and how all other Bioware games are more linear because they don't use the filler locations along the main railroad. Really BG is no better than ME in this aspect.

HINT:

Metalcraze is going to miss everything interesting and meaningful in life and die angry.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Attack animations , or it didn't happen ;)

MetalCraze said:
The Feral Kid said:

Hey man have you ever been to the forest? It's a huge place with the same stuff. The area design is not boring and bland, no sir, it's realistic. It's wilderness man... the same copy-paste shit over and over, for ever.

TisATrap

Educated
BG1 sucks hard. I am not a fan of the 2 but I can't believe anyone would like BG1 better. It had no dialogue, the NPC in your team weren't doing much more than complain if your reputation doesn't follow their alignment, almost all the quest were fetch and return item (BG2 had lots of them too but not ONLY them), the battles were easy, just required some prudence. The only thing it has for it is the story but there isn't much development and if it was not for the slowdog walking pace the game as a whole is quite short.
The wilderness is filler, if you don't think so you must love Oblivion because there is virtually no difference between BG1 wilderness and Oblivion quests and dungeons.

BG2 isn't the best rpg evar but it improved so much on the first that it actually gave me hope at the time that Bioware could do good in the future (I am not so naive anymore. Got burned buying NWN, will never do it again.).
BG2 took BG1 lifeless NPC and fleshed out their personalities.
BG1 Edwin was just tied to a monster bashing quest and a set of sounds. BG2 Edwin was an actual NPC, and a very funny one at that.
BG2 is epic, which comes with good and bad but certainly not as bad as the ToB addon anyway. There was less exploration but Athkatla by itself would make up for the loss because that city feels so much more lively than any of BG1 cities : I take quality over quantity. I prefer a city filled with quests and stories than lots of little cities with one or two quests to do and NPC which serve no purpose. The guilds and interaction in the city are what made it so great.
Plus, even if it didn't happen as much as I would have liked, BG2 had parts where you could truly chose a different path for doing things (i'm not talking of true C&C) while BG1 had exploration but only one path (or, at best, a evil way) for every quests. BG2 Underdark was great and has no equivalent in BG1.

And to put the last nail in BG1 coffin, its worst misfeature, the slow walking pace. This game is a walking simulator for christ's sake. The world is huge and the walking is slow. 99% of your time is spent walking. Are you simulating the real world or playing a game ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom