Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Pretty snoresome characters too IIRC.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
TisATrap said:
The wilderness is filler, if you don't think so you must love Oblivion because there is virtually no difference between BG1 wilderness and Oblivion quests and dungeons.

This is the moment where a giant stamp is delivered on your forehead that reads "asshole".

There was less exploration but Athkatla by itself would make up for the loss because that city feels so much more lively than any of BG1 cities : I take quality over quantity. I prefer a city filled with quests and stories than lots of little cities with one or two quests to do and NPC which serve no purpose. The guilds and interaction in the city are what made it so great.

You probably belong to some cult that has re-defined the words "quantity" and "quality" by exchanging their meaning . I can't find any other possible explanation for your incredibly dumb comment. The only thing that Athkatla and BG 2 in general has more than BG is quantity, not quality. There was plenty of interaction and side-quests in the city of Baldur's Gate itself, with two of them having their start in what losers on this thread call "empty" or "bland" forests, and where their progression and completion depended on your initial response to the NPCs who triggered the quests in the "inhabited-by-spiders-only" forests.

TisATrap

Educated
The Feral Kid said:
TisATrap said:
The wilderness is filler, if you don't think so you must love Oblivion because there is virtually no difference between BG1 wilderness and Oblivion quests and dungeons.

This is the moment where a giant stamp is delivered on your forehead that reads "asshole".

So you actually believe that BG1 was better than Oblivion ? Could you precise in what way, because I don't see it.

You probably belong to some cult that has re-defined the words "quantity" and "quality" by exchanging their meaning . I can't find any other possible explanation for your incredibly dumb comment. The only thing that Athkatla and BG 2 in general has more than BG is quantity, not quality.

I mean it in the sense that BG2 had less areas to explore but much more content in what area it had. Quests like those given by the thieves guild were much more complete than the filler content of BG city. BG city was as big (bigger ?) than Athkatla and the BG1 map had ton of areas to explore but very little to actually do.

TisATrap said:
So you actually believe that BG1 was better than Oblivion ? Could you precise in what way, because I don't see it.

BG1 has better graphics, music, combat system, dialogue and dialogue system, story, character system, AI, loot... I'm sorry, but are you serious?

The Feral Kid

Prophet
TisATrap said:

In Oblivion if you play 5-10 hours (which is how much I played before uninstalling it) you feel like you seen everything the game has to offer. All quests/dungeons/npcs are the same, and most importantly part of a completely lifeless gameworld. There is nothing substantial into wandering and exploring in Oblivion. BG adventuring is more involving and more rewarding. The encounters you come upon have actual impact. Take for instance the Coran quest I mentioned. You meet Coran in the wilderness and then according to your response you can take his quest and complete it in the city and in a number of ways. The Merchant League quest also becomes available only if you reacted in a certain way to an NPC (because BG has no C&C, right?), while wandering in the Sword Coast.

I mean it in the sense that BG2 had less areas to explore but much more content in what area it had. Quests like those given by the thieves guild were much more complete than the filler content of BG city. BG city was as big (bigger ?) than Athkatla and the BG1 map had ton of areas to explore but very little to actually do.

No. BG 2 simply is so overpacked with "epicness" and quests, that would pretty much make everything else and not just BG, look empty. And in that respect it has much more filler content than BG. I also remind you that there were Thieve's Guild related quests in BG, that were far from being called filler and were related to the main story. Unlike many of the BG 2 Guild-related quests which are indeed filler.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I am in hotel and use 1euro per 10 minutes internet so i only have time to write that Feral Kid is right and BG1 haters suck cook.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Nothing wrong. That's because in BG series it binds well to the main story and complements it. While in Oblivion and all Beth games, it deems the main story irrelevant.

deranged

Cipher
I never really enjoyed BG1 all that much, mainly because I am lazy and can't be arsed to explore the wilderness areas. BUT comparing it to Oblivion is hybris... (People tend to forget just how really bad Oblivion is).

Mareus

Magister
Seriously,... talking about decline of the codex. Comparing BG to Oblivion and even saying that Oblivion is better is the new low which I never expected from you guys. I guess it all comes down to complaining for the sake of complaining. Seriously, do you people even enjoy playing games anymore?

Anyway, about BG. First, BG is somewhat weaker game than BG2, simply because forests look similar and the characters are not fleshed out. That being said, BG remains one of the best games ever created. Some of you complain about story and forests that all look the same, but the story is actually very thought out. I would even dare to say it is better than BG2 story. The plot has some political things with a sinister foreboding in the air about something much darker than it may seem in the first glance. Forests may look similar, but they are not the same. Every forest has different geography, different encounters and different things to discover and the reward for exploration is much greater than in most games. You complain about writing, but writing in BG is superb. It's sometimes witty and sarcastic, but never over the line. Compare the writing of BG with anything made in recent years and tell me which game comes close to the quality of writing.

And one thing that BG does better than any other game of the recent years is combat which is just pure fun. Music is perfect for the genre, characters are a bit shallow when compared to BG2 characters like I said, but luckily mods fix this, so there is really nothing to complain about, expect the forests which get tedious after a while. However I would give crazy amount of money for a game of BG quality if it came out today, but instead of BG we get collar grabbing Sheppard and Dragon Age which in my honest opinion looks more like NWN2 than spiritual successor to BG.

Even the graphic in BG is amazing considering the game's age. Furthermore there are mods which allow you to fix the game in any way you like. So why not complain about things that really sucks like lack of real choices and consequences (although there is C&C in BG and even after playing the game 10 times, I still haven't had exactly the same playthrough), instead of spitting shit on a gaming legend that overshadows anything done in recent years. Just because BG is different than everyone favorite Planescape Torment, it does not mean BG sucks. It's just different and when it comes to fantasy setting, no other game beats BG trilogy. NWN2 is good, especially MoTB, but as a whole BG Trilogy beats the shit out of NWN2. i am mentioning NWN2, because so far it is the only game that could be compared with BG. It's certainly more comparable than Oblivion.

1eyedking

Erudite
Baldur's Gate is vastly superior to Oblivion, which only speaks how much of a bad game the latter is.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Next:

Planescape Torment vs Dungeon Siege, which is better and why?

decline of the decline

Vibalist

Arcane
Mareus said:
Seriously,... talking about decline of the codex. Comparing BG to Oblivion and even saying that Oblivion is better is the new low which I never expected from you guys. I guess it all comes down to complaining for the sake of complaining. Seriously, do you people even enjoy playing games anymore?

Anyway, about BG. First, BG is somewhat weaker game than BG2, simply because forests look similar and the characters are not fleshed out. That being said, BG remains one of the best games ever created. Some of you complain about story and forests that all look the same, but the story is actually very thought out. I would even dare to say it is better than BG2 story. The plot has some political things with a sinister foreboding in the air about something much darker than it may seem in the first glance. Forests may look similar, but they are not the same. Every forest has different geography, different encounters and different things to discover and the reward for exploration is much greater than in most games. You complain about writing, but writing in BG is superb. It's sometimes witty and sarcastic, but never over the line. Compare the writing of BG with anything made in recent years and tell me which game comes close to the quality of writing.

And one thing that BG does better than any other game of the recent years is combat which is just pure fun. Music is perfect for the genre, characters are a bit shallow when compared to BG2 characters like I said, but luckily mods fix this, so there is really nothing to complain about, expect the forests which get tedious after a while. However I would give crazy amount of money for a game of BG quality if it came out today, but instead of BG we get collar grabbing Sheppard and Dragon Age which in my honest opinion looks more like NWN2 than spiritual successor to BG.

Even the graphic in BG is amazing considering the game's age. Furthermore there are mods which allow you to fix the game in any way you like. So why not complain about things that really sucks like lack of real choices and consequences (although there is C&C in BG and even after playing the game 10 times, I still haven't had exactly the same playthrough), instead of spitting shit on a gaming legend that overshadows anything done in recent years. Just because BG is different than everyone favorite Planescape Torment, it does not mean BG sucks. It's just different and when it comes to fantasy setting, no other game beats BG trilogy. NWN2 is good, especially MoTB, but as a whole BG Trilogy beats the shit out of NWN2. i am mentioning NWN2, because so far it is the only game that could be compared with BG. It's certainly more comparable than Oblivion.

Amen. I can't even begin to count the countless hours of fun I've had with BG and especially BG2. The Underdark and the city of Baldurs Gate, along with the Tales of the Sword Coast content remains some of the best gaming I've experienced.

The Feral Kid said:
decline of the decline

Meaning incline?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, BG is better than Oblivion obv

It's still kinda tripe. and Mareus' half-arsed defense doesn't really change that. The combat is pure fun? Is your brain broken? The characters are not fleshed out, but hell the mods fix it so so somehow it's a better game thanks to content that isn't actually a part of the game.

And good-looking for its time? Shit. Fallout looks significantly better and is a year older.

Hmmm....only one update in, and I'm at 3 pages...sweet, that's how far the entire Quest 64 LP got. Doing an LP of a "controversial" game rocks.

Chapter 1: Shit Goes Up; Shit Goes Down

We're back in the normal timestream, with Level 1 Motherfucker Shepard, who just watched Gorion get whacked by Sar.....an Armoured Figure. Internal screenshots continue, so this part will have limited coverage.

Baldr009.jpg

It looks like somebody is coming after him...is it collar-grabbing time?

Hint: Any time can be collar-grabbing time.

Baldr010.jpg

Nope. It's just our first party member, Imoen. She's a thief with a childish personality. I wonder if she would fit in as a blue alien street urchin with a furry companion? But I digress....

She shows up with a bow, some arrows, a couple of healing potions, an oil of speed (doubles a character's movement rate/attack rate for a limited time), and a wand of magic missiles (usable by anyone to shoot a magic missile). You are given her and all this equipment for a reason, which is coming up later.

Baldr011.jpg

We check Gorion's body and find some gold and this scroll. Shit is indeed going down.

Baldr012.jpg

Baldr013.jpg

Motherfucker Shepard and Imoen meet up with these charming fellows, who first offer hem free healing potions. Because they were so kind, they seem like great people to travel with. Both of them are interested in investigating a town on the border with the nation of Amn, Nashkel, and why its iron mines aren't producing. The plot...sorta thickens.

We're still going to the Friendly Arm Inn though, because Gorion said to do that, and doing what you are told by NPCs always leads to good things....

Baldr014.jpg

Along the way Motherfucker Shepard grabs a tree by the trunk and demands it cough up some riches. The party receives a diamond.

Baldr015.jpg

Also on the way, Motherfucker Shepard beats the tar out of a rock and receives a ring of protection for his troubles.

Okay, this is one of the patently stupid things about Baldur's Gate...goofy rewards for pixel hunting. It's not fun, and it's just dumb.

Baldr016.jpg

Now you've probably noticed I haven't encountered anything, or at least haven't had screenshots. That's because the internal screenshot utility can't do dialogue, and because I've mostly stuck to the road. Encounters now are either pitiful, like fighting a diseased gibberling, or could turn lethal depending on a roll of the dice. Very early in the game, Baldur's Gate combat is a drag. Most parties won't have any tactical options, and it becomes a dice-fest.

Baldr017.jpg

Yay....we made it to the Friendly Arm!

Baldr018.jpg

While there, we are attacked by an assassin. Bad idea on his part. Before he even gets his mirror image spell off he is bombarded by arrows, magic missiles, and spells from Xzar. The guards join in too, and Tarnesh feels the pointy bukkake.

Baldr019.jpg

Hmmmm....somebody is being paid to kill Motherfucker Shepard. 200 gold isn't much...hell you can find more in trees and rocks, and don't need to risk your life.

Though, seriously, the scripted assassin attacks do actually do a decent job at giving you extra motivation to find out what is going on, and complete the story. Baldur's Gate actually has the enemies sort of threaten you.

Inordinate screenshot gap ahoy!

bglp004.jpg

Motherfucker Shepard picks up Khalid and Jaheira, a half-elf couple. Khalid is a Fighter with mediocre stats, and Jaheira is a Fighter/Druid with okay stats and the Entangle spell, which is the main why she is valuable. Also Jaheira wears the pantaloons in their marriage, because Khalid is an annoying, stuttering dumbass.

We set off South, to Beregost.

bglp005.jpg

Remember those graphical glitches? Yeah...this one blanked everything.

bglp006.jpg

This is an ogre. It can take a lot of hard hits, and hit even harder. Engaging this thing head on in melee at level one is asking to be one-shotted, because it can deal anywhere between 7 and 14 damage without a critical hit.

Thank you Entangle! Why? It immobilizes the sucker and allows the group to turn it into a pincushion with arrows and other ranged weaponry.

bglp007.jpg

The ogre is summarily killed.

bglp008.jpg

We loot the ogre and find two belts. One of which is very useful, the other of which...well it's funny. More on that later.

bglp009.jpg

The party is attacked by a group of Gibberlings, essentially rabid, grass monkeys. They are quickly spanked, but Montaron takes some serious damage from them. This illustrates something about BG combat, even weak creatures can be threats at low level, at least in numbers. That's why finding ways to disable them is key; so you avoid taking damage. Entangle and arrows works nicely, but there are other methods as well.

bglp010.jpg

In DR 1321 war was beginning.

bglp011.jpg

A caravan attacked by bandits....foreshadowing perhaps?

bglp012.jpg

Upon arriving in Beregost, Shepard and crew are greeted by this man who has nothing better to do than stand around and talk to newcomers. You'd think with the bad economy and iron shortage he'd be getting a job or such. Who knows, maybe he is a highly overpaid municipal worker....

More to come later. Also, those wanting a little more goofiness only have to wait for the section that didn't get captured by screenshots. I'll have to "recreate" that.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Okay, this is one of the patently stupid things about Baldur's Gate...goofy rewards for pixel hunting. It's not fun, and it's just dumb.

It propably sounded like a good idea at the time. Along with frequent saving spawning a pack of monsters just out of visual range, to deter you from save-spamming.

Baldur's Gate is full of these little "ideas" which proved themselves to be...unviable. The pixel-hunting was solved by the "reveal loot container" command in BG2 and IWD.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:decline:

Bg is actually much better than the epic illogicality of BGII (lets not talk about ToB).

I mean that druid/shapechangers quest? On a "filler" area. Meeting Viconia - "filler" area. Charming bandits and necromancers to get more background than BGII ever throws at you? On a "filler" area.

It seems that the codex needs a fucking quest per meter ratio before they promote a game. Wah wah, there is too much walking.

Fuck.

Turok

Erudite
SCO said:
:decline:

Bg is actually much better than the epic illogicality of BGII (lets not talk about ToB).

I mean that druid/shapechangers quest? On a "filler" area. Meeting Viconia - "filler" area. Charming bandits and necromancers to get more background than BGII ever throws at you? On a "filler" area.

It seems that the codex needs a fucking quest per meter ratio before they promote a game. Wah wah, there is too much walking.

Fuck.

The little things in life are the ones that give you more pleasure. Those "fillers" are really good, if there is no "fillers" then the game finish too fast and you get pissed because you know there is no going to be another release of a game like this on the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom