Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

bailuu

Novice
If filler content is fun, then it's not filler. It's fun content. That's why the BGs (moreso BG2) are great games.

People who bitch about filler should stick to sidescrollers.

Elzair

Cipher
BG memories

Baldur's Gate was the first D&D CRPG I ever played, so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. There were two glitches I saw in my early character creations. First, I noticed that sometimes Gorion will not die. Sometimes, he will just keep fighting (and appear to be winning), and then the Chapter 1 cutscene will start playing. Second, it is possible to kill the PC without triggering a gameover. One time I was attacked by bandits and they killed my main character just as I was about to transition areas. The PC died, but I still got to the map screen. I tried travelling somewhere, but when I got there, the game over screen appeared. I then tried reloading my autosave, and the game continued playing even though the PC was dead. The only odd thing is that the PC's corpse will follow the party from area to area; they must be dragging it!

BTW, since we have established this walkthrough will have some silliness, could you further spice it up by making a let's play, similar in spirit to the ones at IT-HE, that attempts to rook the game silly?

Here are some useful tidbits:

1. Abuse dimension door to enter Baldur's Gate early.

2. Abuse dimension door to enter Candlekeep.

Murk

Arcane
Hey guys, maybe we can take the random bickering elsewhere so Murrow's thread isn't all messed up?

Keep at it man, I've played this game to death and back but it's (surprisingly) still fun to read an LP of.

piydek

Cipher
One thing i liked in BG compared to BG2 is that in BG2 i felt way more railroaded than in BG. BG was really a fine combination of free-form play and plot, merged in a really good way, so that these two things don't exclude each other. I've never designed a game, but i believe this isn't an easy thing to pull off. All of the free play in BG that i've done, i've always felt within context.

Mareus

Magister
Brother None said:
Yeah, BG is better than Oblivion obv

It's still kinda tripe. and Mareus' half-arsed defense doesn't really change that. The combat is pure fun? Is your brain broken?

So.. which game does party based combat better and more fun? :roll:

Brother None said:
The characters are not fleshed out, but hell the mods fix it so so somehow it's a better game thanks to content that isn't actually a part of the game.

Mhm, and by using your broken logic Arcanum unofficial fixes are not part of the original game, so Arcanum therefore sucks cause Troika didn't fix the game, Drog did. My point is, that it's really not important who fixes stuff or adds additional content as long as there is something out there that can be used to make the gameplay more enjoyable.
So what if the content was not made originally for the game? The important thing is that there is something out there that can remove a potential issue you have with the game and make it more to your liking. Mods are completely free and easy to install, so it's not like you have to spend money on this stuff or have programming knowledge that makes the mods usable only to a few.

Brother None said:
And good-looking for its time? Shit. Fallout looks significantly better and is a year older.
LOL! First of all graphic is the least important aspect of the game, so I don't give a crap if another great game such as Fallout has good graphic. But just for the sake of saying the truth, you are just delusional. Fallout is flat and grey. Baldur's Gate has better geography, more different types of buildings and better art design altogether. You are just talking out of your arse.

Mareus

Magister
piydek said:
One thing i liked in BG compared to BG2 is that in BG2 i felt way more railroaded than in BG. BG was really a fine combination of free-form play and plot, merged in a really good way, so that these two things don't exclude each other. I've never designed a game, but i believe this isn't an easy thing to pull off. All of the free play in BG that i've done, i've always felt within context.

Indeed. And it goes very well with the idea that you are playing a role of a young adventurer who has just set out and is exploring the sword coast. Another thing I loved is the transformation of your character from beginning when no one takes you seriously and everyone underestimates you in BG1, to Throne of Bhaal where people learn to respect you and enemies fear you. No other game does this better and in such epic proportions.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mareus said:
So.. which game does party based combat better and more fun? :roll:

Realms of Arkania. Significantly better, in fact. But why should that matter? Combat can still be bad if there's nothing much better out there. RPGs have a tradition of having shitty combat, from Fallout's overly simplistic TB combat to the Infinity Engine's horrible, horrible RTwP system.

Mareus said:
Mhm, and by using your broken logic Arcanum unofficial fixes are not part of the original game, so Arcanum therefore sucks cause Troika didn't fix the game, Drog did.

Yes, that's correct. Unlike some bozos, I'm exceedingly consistent about this logic. When I'm judging a game I can take into account whether or not the dev provides modkits, but the game itself does not become better or worse by existence of mods. Mods are external content. This is true for Fallout 2's fan patch, it's true for Arcanum's fanpatch (I've never played Arcanum with Drog's patch, by the way, it runs fine with the official patch, so kind of a weak point there), it's true for Mount & Blade's expansion of mods, just like it's true for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Mareus said:
My point is, that it's really not important who fixes stuff or adds additional content as long as there is something out there that can be used to make the gameplay more enjoyable.

No, it is important when you're saying "... is a great game", but only with mods. Oblivion and Fallout 3 can both potentially be much more amusing with a metric ton of mods, that does not mean I'm justified in going around saying they're great games. Because I'm not talking about the game, I'm talking about the mods. Is it really so hard to see the distinction there?

Mareus said:
First of all graphic is the least important aspect of the game

Funny, because you brought up how well Baldur's Gate looks, not me. If you don't care, why bring it up?

Mareus said:
But just for the sake of saying the truth, you are just delusional. Fallout is flat and grey. Baldur's Gate has better geography, more different types of buildings and better art design altogether. You are just talking out of your arse.

Wrong-o. The backgrounds are, in fact, the only advantage BG has, and that's due to the use of the Infinity engine which allows to set massive bitmaps as backgrounds rather than mess about with mappers.

In pure graphic fidelity, this is better than this. Animations and level of detail are both better in Fallout. Again, all BG has on it is the Infinity Engine's capability of background rendering.

Mikayel said:
Hey guys, maybe we can take the random bickering elsewhere so Murrow's thread isn't all messed up?

Keep at it man, I've played this game to death and back but it's (surprisingly) still fun to read an LP of.

It's not really worth taking elsewhere, the debate is stale and pointless. But you're right. I'll toss Mareus the last word if he wants it and drop it, 'k.

Radisshu

Prophet
I always found the BG backgrounds to be very inconsistent and unrealistic. They look like someone has put together cardboard cutouts from different time periods in a half-assed effort to create a wonderful fantasy land, I wouldn't say the art direction is very good. Just compare the BG1 backgrounds to the BG2 backgrounds and see for yourself.

And yes, Fallout's graphics > BG's graphics.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Mareus has to be one of the dumbest motherfuckers around this place, that said do continue with the LP plz.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Volrath said:
Mareus has to be one of the dumbest motherfuckers around this place, that said do continue with the LP plz.

I have a theory, based entirely on empiric evidence, that people who can't write or speak a sentence without using some variant of the word "fuck" are dumber than average.
What I'm unsure about is wether those who prefer a loud and annoying BLEEP! is even dumber.

deranged

Cipher
I am thinking on starting another BG LP and CLUAconsole Sarevok, then kill him at the beginning in Candlekeep. Opinions?

(I could of course use ShadowKeeper to set AC to -20, THACO to -40, Hp to 550 and start running around mutilating everything, but I just find this tedious).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
deranged said:
I am thinking on starting another BG LP and CLUAconsole Sarevok, then kill him at the beginning in Candlekeep. Opinions?

(I could of course use ShadowKeeper to set AC to -20, THACO to -40, Hp to 550 and start running around mutilating everything, but I just find this tedious).

Uh...why would you do that?
I don't think killing Sarevok at Candlekeep will make any difference as he is not supposed to be killed and the game will probably spawn him at the end no matter what.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dear Mr Edward_R_Murrow,

I notice in your LP BG1 thread you left out the encounter with Desslock.
desslock_pcgamer--article_image.jpg

It is not everyday that a computer game reviewer gets to make a cameo in a computer game.
This makes me very unhappy. :cry:
http://fallout3.wordpress.com/articles/desslock-interviews-tim-cain/
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/baldursgate/review.html

Mareus

Magister
Realms of Arkania. Significantly better, in fact. But why should that matter? Combat can still be bad if there's nothing much better out there. RPGs have a tradition of having shitty combat, from Fallout's overly simplistic TB combat to the Infinity Engine's horrible, horrible RTwP system.

LOL, Realms of Aracnia?! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Furthermore, typical response from a brainwashed game hater from the codex: "If there is nothing much better out there it doesn't mean it still does not suck!". Thanks for proving my point.

Also, have you ever tried making a game? Have you ever seen how much effort it takes just to make something move in a game, let alone use it's own AI and combine it with a story, lore, remove the bugs, etc..

Of course you haven't, because otherwise you wouldn't talk such nonsense. And Realms of Araknia?! AGAIN, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :facepalm:

Yes, that's correct. Unlike some bozos, I'm exceedingly consistent about this logic. When I'm judging a game I can take into account whether or not the dev provides modkits, but the game itself does not become better or worse by existence of mods. Mods are external content. This is true for Fallout 2's fan patch, it's true for Arcanum's fanpatch (I've never played Arcanum with Drog's patch, by the way, it runs fine with the official patch, so kind of a weak point there), it's true for Mount & Blade's expansion of mods, just like it's true for Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Your logic is full of FAIL! Mods are external content, yes, but that is completely irrelevant if they make the game better than it already is.

No, it is important when you're saying "... is a great game", but only with mods. ... :cut:

I said BG is one of the greatest games ever created, and I just mentioned mods which allow you to play the game in any way you like. But I guess reading is hard. LOL!

Funny, because you brought up how well Baldur's Gate looks, not me. If you don't care, why bring it up?

Not only you can't read, but you are an obvious dumbass. I just mentioned that graphic in BG is good considering it's age, but then you show up and say something stupid. I really don't give a crap about graphic, but when you say something that just isn't true I have to tell you that you are full of shit.

Wrong-o. The backgrounds are, in fact, the only advantage BG has, and that's due to the use of the Infinity engine which allows to set massive bitmaps as backgrounds rather than mess about with mappers.

LOL! You just proved my point. There really isn't big difference between Fallout and BG characters, except maybe animation which is BG weak point. However when it comes to backgrounds BG is miles ahead. LOL!

It's not really worth taking elsewhere, the debate is stale and pointless. But you're right. I'll toss Mareus the last word if he wants it and drop it, 'k.
I can't drop it while you are talking bullshit out of your ass and spreading obvious lies. Now if you actually try to prove that Fallout is a better game than BG, that is something I could drop since Fallout is really an awesome game, although completely different from BG. But no! You have to try and prove something that just isnt true! You lie that I said BG is good only with mods. Then you say shit like fallout has better graphic which is just pure crap, and then you expect me to drop it? Ain't gonna happen! Stop lying and talking bullshit, you little asswipe, and then I ll drop it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Politeness is a nice thing.

On a sidenote I heard here on teh Codex that BG sucks because you die every 2 seconds.

Discuss!

Mareus

Magister
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Politeness is a nice thing.

On a sidenote I heard here on teh Codex that BG sucks because you die every 2 seconds.

Discuss!

True if you suck at playing the game. But to suck in BG, you have to be a total moron which only plays consoletard games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
ZOMG? HAVE U TRIED MAKING GAEMS? NO? THEN U DONT KNOW HOW HARD IT IZ! DON"T COMPLAAINNNNN!!!

Talonfire

Scholar
What's with all of this bitching about the Baldur's Gates? They're not perfect, but I'd go as far as saying that they're great games even today... especially today. The environments are beautifully drawn, and the combat isn't simple button mashing like most modern RPGs are even if it is pretty easy out of the box. I'd take BG1 and BG2 over most modern RPGs any day of the week.

The Baldur's Gate games are the only games that BioWare got (mostly) right.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a nice coincidence. I've found that topic today and today I've started replaying Baldur's Gate as well. Although it is my first time I'm playing with unofficial addon Northern Tales of the Sword Coast.

deranged

Cipher
I have a fetish with Weidu.logs, and I am posting the following in case anyone is trying this game again:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Restored BG1 Loadscreens
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #3 // BG2 Ammo Stacks
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #5 // BG1 Summoning Spells
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #7 // Walking Speeds
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #8 // Hooded unarmoured avatars and hooded bards
~EASYTUTUDEGREENIFIER.TP2~ #0 #0 // EasyTutu Degreenifier
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // The BG1 NPC Project: Ajantis Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #11 // The BG1 NPC Project: Coran's Romance Core (adult content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content): v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #32 // The BG1 NPC Project: Check for TutuFix Walking Speeds: v17
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #7 // The BG1 NPC Project: Kivan's "Kivan and Deheriana Companions" portrait: v17
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ice Island Level Two Restoration: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #1 // The Mysterious Vial: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #8 // Safana the Flirt: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #9 // Appropriate Albert and Rufie Reward: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #10 // Place Entar Silvershield in His Home: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #11 // Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #12 // Quoningar, the Cleric: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #13 // Shilo Chen and the Ogre-Magi: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #14 // Edie, the Merchant League Applicant: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #15 // Flaming Fist Mercenary Reinforcements: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #16 // Creature Corrections: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #17 // Creature Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #18 // Creature Name Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #19 // Minor Dialogue Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #20 // Audio Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #21 // Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #22 // Item Corrections and Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #23 // Area Corrections and Restorations: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #24 // Permanent Corpses: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Resistance: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #26 // The Original Saga Music Playlist Corrections: 7
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #27 // Sarevok's Diary Corrections: 7
~SETUP-HARDTIMES.TP2~ #0 #0 // Hard Times v2
~SETUP-TGC1E.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight, BG1TUTU edition v1.11 -> Normal edition
~BGQE/SETUP-BGQE.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests and Encounters Mod: 4.1
~SETUP-EASYTUTUSPAWNRANDOMIZER.TP2~ #0 #7 // EasyTutu Spawn Randomizer -> Base Spawn Chance: 100% (default)
~SETUP-EASYTUTUSPAWNRANDOMIZER.TP2~ #0 #15 // Respawn Interval Selection -> Disable Respawning (interval set to 1000 game days)

(BGTutu)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom