Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Poison is pretty strong, but crap against undead who are immune. You are also not forced to get Ragnarok and it doesn't come with the anniversary edition. I don't have Ragnarok for example and have no intention of getting it because the reviews/opinions on it are super mixed. Ditto for Atlantis.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I sometimes wonder how Def/Hunter focusing on Dex, spears and shields would work. It is likely to lock me out of most of the best armours, though, due to insufficient Str.
Kinda been a while since i looked upon TQ theorycraft, but i remember people using "light"affixe item (the -% on stat requirement) on part of their equipement, because you will unlikely drop bis for you level in every slot.

Poison is pretty strong, but crap against undead who are immune. You are also not forced to get Ragnarok and it doesn't come with the anniversary edition. I don't have Ragnarok for example and have no intention of getting it because the reviews/opinions on it are super mixed. Ditto for Atlantis.

Biggest problem with poison is that is scale with nearly nothing except skill level, so it become less and less relevant up mid to mid epic

Lacrymas

Arcane
Biggest problem with poison is that is scale with nearly nothing except skill level, so it become less and less relevant up mid to mid epic
Doesn't it "scale" with items that give poison damage per second? And there are straight-up +poison damage % items, like the Assassin's Shroud.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Doesn't it "scale" with items that give poison damage per second? And there are straight-up +poison damage % items, like the Assassin's Shroud.

I checked the db and apparently, there seems to be +% poison damage affix (stuff like profaned, though the minus health regen seems very uncomfortable), and also +% bleed damage. Still, it does not scale with intel, neither strenght or dex, which is annoying.

I think that poison build are perfectly viable, but is way harder to "make it work", and is probably on the low-end tier of build. On TQ and IT, the powerhouse were anything around Defense, Dream and Hunting.

axx

Savant
4 acts but it's playable only on legendary difficulty.
Act 3 should have been exclusively babilonian/sumerian or chinese theme, those highlands drag on for too long.

Renevent

Cipher
I'm slightly curious, and it's cool they're continuing to make content/improve the game, that said and I hate to admit it but the last (new) DLC was very poorly made. Quite frankly felt like a shitty mod. That and after having played Grim Dawn with it's numerous gameplay/graphical/etc improvements it's very difficult to go back and play TQ.

It's tempting though lol...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Atlantis is worth it at a deep discount for the additional powers, especially Spirit for example. This huge expansion seems weird. China isn't my cup of tea anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
I own the base game and the price feels a bit silly for some expansions to a 15 year old game

(not logged in)
I4Bq3uu.png

Compare :M
eLgcrkS.png

SpellSword

Novice
I noticed on the Steam forum that there are posts mentioning a massive update patching the base game and that it now installs something called EOS. (Epic Online Services)

From what I've read it appears this is to allow multiplayer between users who purchased from Epic Game Store and everywhere else. (Steam, GOG, etc.)

Unfortunately people are mentioning that it sends a lot of telemetry back to Epic Games even if the player is not connected with a user who is running the Epic Games version of Titan Quest.

I'm not sure if the GOG version of Titan Quest has EOS installed in it or if this only is effecting Steam's release.

This is the first time I've heard of this EOS software does anyone have more information about this?

SpellSword

Novice
A person called GlorFindel on the GOG forum has confirmed that EOS is now present in their release of Titan Quest as well:
Oh yes it is.
I have Titan Quest Anniversary on both Steam and GOG and just installed it on GOG just to check this.
I don't have new DLC yet, but newest patch has added a THQNOnline dir to install directory and it looks like this:

https://ibb.co/sjmkv4L
Capture1.png

In Steam version it looks the same, only thing missing is gog dir in THQNOnline.

P.S. It's a offline installer version, not Galaxy one, since I don't use Galaxy!

Thank you for the link.

axx

Savant
I have the GOG version (I didn't buy the Embers expansion) and it was a hefty 10 GB update yesterday (with Galaxy). The new folders look like that screenshot.
Also my 49lvl harbinger savegame appears messed up.
Anyway I'm not buying that expansion until it drops to a reasonable price. It would take me a couple months to reach Legendary diff anyway.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I replayed a bit the original game few months ago. I watched a bit of the new expansion, courtesy of my brother, and it looked like decline. Even him admitted that Ragnarök was a snoozfest.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People beat Titan Quest and enjoyed it enough to want expacks?
Man, I've never gotten past the beginning of Act 2. I started wanting to cut my wrists while running down the beach killing seagulls for what seemed like forever.
The game has cool classes, abilities, and setting and then the most boring ass level designs to drop it into.

axx

Savant
Man, I've never gotten past the beginning of Act 2. I started wanting to cut my wrists while running down the beach killing seagulls for what seemed like forever.

Act 4 (1st expansion) improves on this, feels less like a walking sim. But you're not missing much on the expansions, Atlantis has like 1 guy voicing half the NPCs and a bunch of badly recycled assets from the first acts. Ragnarök feels less like a disappointment.

Cael

Arcane
I gave up on TQ expansions after the damned HP bloat of Act 4. I don't want to spend 5 minutes trying to kill a single mob. That is ridiculous.

Heinrich

Scholar
Yup. If you REALLY want more Titan Quest, just play Grim Dawn. Similar in many things, better in most. The only reasons to stick to Titan Quest would be the setting and nostalgia.
If it was a couple of year ago I would agree, but by now the quality of life improvements they put into Titan Quest recently are starting to swing it around for me again. For example, I recently did a TQ playthrough with the increased game speed option they added at some point and it's like night and day. Having to spend twice as long in Grim Dawn doing exactly the same shit is awful. And the sole reason for not having a game speed option seems to be that the Grim Dawn devs have a stick up their ass. I know you can finagle the game speed in Grim Dawn with some mods, but that just runs into the issue that Grim Dawn still doesn't have decent mod support, apparently for no reason other than the devs being pricks. Add to that all the advantages TQ always had over GD, aesthetics, general production values and absence of modern decline like GD's more exhaustive crafting system and POE style vapid vomit passive skill tree, I would only ever recommend GD after you got all out of TQ that's possible and still want more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom